Howard Miller Appointed New British Honorary Consul For Pattaya

george

Not a Brit, but.

To my view, this is a SHOCKINGLY poor idea to have the same man be both a major local MEDIA maven AND an honorary consul.

So an expat/tourist in distress, and he will see many, tells this man EVERYTHING to get the needed help of his government. Then what happens with his "secrets"? Isn't there the concern that they may be instantly reported in the less than ethical press here? Wouldn't that suppress the willingness of clients to be open with the HC?

It seems to me this is a ridiculously INAPPROPRIATE choice unless the media part of the job is quit.

Par for the course for Pattaya, I suppose.

Please note -- the questions in the post are general RHETORICAL questions. They were not intended to be directed to the new HC.

Good point. Would make someone think twice about seeking help. I guess time will tell if confidentiality is respected.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratulations - I guess...

It's refreshing to see a "down to earth" type of bloke getting this type of post; I hope he can represent Britain well. In Chiang Mai our Honorary Consul had a top end British private school education, his father was a "sir", and he has had all of the advantages in life that usually then leads to prestigious positions. But then this guy has also done decades of good work in Thailand helping refugees, defending women and children's rights, etc and is actually half Thai (although he looks entirely western). He represents us very well.

I'm not actually sure what I'm trying to say... other than I think the guy we have up here in CM, even with all his privileges early in life, has given so much that he really deserves the job. I guess Howard does too in a different way, and it's good to see the old class barriers being broken down - when it's the right person to do it! :jap:

Sorry to be quick but is there anything you can do about getting me a British Passport? We have met but I'm a pal of Johnny McCarthy and never saw to point of sitting in Walking Street.

After my passport was stolen in Bangkok on 24 June I paid the Embassy 161 GBP for a replacement. They told me the application would be sent to Hong Kong and sure enough the DHL website shows it was delivered to Hong Kong the next day. Nothing has happen since the 29 June.

I have been looking at the various FCO Web sites and wondered if, with your TV Channel, if you were interested in producing a programme on how Careline Services, a private company, has been providing UK passports since 1 January 2009. It actually took this company 2 months to give me my last passport and they do not answer the London number given out by the Hong Kong Consulate nor answer emails.

I live in Isaan where my wife has a farm and a few other commercial interests so I am well aware of how fortunate I am compared to the British people who get robbed here and have only your new FCO colleagues to go to for help. I also have an 'O' visa which is valid until 15th September and since I know many Thai police and local Immigration officials socially I do not anticipate any problems no matter how long Careline Services actually take to send me a new passport. However I feel strongly that victims of crime need more help and certainly truthful information from the FCO.

I am writting to the new Foreign Secretary because Stephen Hale, Head of Engagement and Digital Diplomacy in London has refused to explain either how Twittering helps UK civil servants do their jobs better and why these people are even needed as all British victims of crime have Careline Services thanks to Jack Straw as you can see on http://blogs.fco.gov.uk/roller/hale/entry/british_embassies_and_social_media

I the interest of balance any programme about the lack of help provided to British victims of crime here would need to have some explanation from the new coalition government

Well, it didn't take long for an illustration as to why the HC is is a difficult and thankless job. Look at one has to deal with.It also illustrates my earlier concern about a conflict of interest. Seriously, don't people think? The poor chap isn't even in a position to do something now and yet it starts with an unreasonable demand. Hello???? The private media company is expected to act on behalf of someone wanting something? No. The answer is no. He's not allowed to intermingle activities. It is contrary to the rules of engagement.

Perhaps a collection will need to be taken to pay for the antacid and calmative potions that will be required. Fortunately, the designate is bald, so he won't be pulling his hair out in frustration. Sheesh, give the fellow a chance and use common sense. It's not his responsibility. Here's the standard response; "your concerns are noted and they are taken seriously. They will be passed to the responsible official."

Edited by geriatrickid

I have been looking at the various FCO Web sites and wondered if, with your TV Channel, if you were interested in producing a programme on how Careline Services, a private company, has been providing UK passports since 1 January 2009. It actually took this company 2 months to give me my last passport and they do not answer the London number given out by the Hong Kong Consulate nor answer emails.

Careline Services do not provide passports, they are simply a company that handles the passport enquiries.

Whilst I can understand your frustration about the length of time you have waited for your passport the Consultate General in Hong Kong does advise that it can take up to four weeks, I make it about two weeks so far.

For sure open up a debate, but it needs to be accurate.

Well, it didn't take long for an illustration as to why the HC is is a difficult and thankless job. Look at one has to deal with. Seriously, don't people think? The poor chap isn't even in a position to do something now and yet it starts with an unreasonable demand. Perhaps a collection will need to be taken to pay for the antacid and calmative potions that will be required. Fortunately, the designate is bald, so he won't be pulling his hair out in frustration. Sheesh, give the fellow a chance.

Exactly what I was thinking when I replied to the post, but I wasn't brave enough to say so.

Good points "geriatrickid"

I am sure you can understand that I am unable to answer any specific questions on the HC position, especially individual cases, and especially on a public forum.

I am also not taking up the position until 1st August so I am certainly not qualified to answer such questions, even face-to-face, until that time.

For any information on consular services, please visit your local consulate office (if you have one) or contact the British Embassy in Bangkok. All information British Citizens living in Thailand could need can be found at http://ukinthailand.fco.gov.uk/en/

Howard

There is little better illustration needed of the sort of thing that would put many off applying for the job than some of the posts on this thread:

Even if the subject is a raging psycho that has gone on a killing spree, the consul is expected to ensure that the accused's legal rights are protected and that the subject receives the same legal treatment as if the subject was in the UK, until such time as the professionals at the embassy can respond.

Absolute and utter rubbish. The consul, like the embassy staff, may be allowed to observe and report - he can "ensure" nothing. Anyone arrested in Thailand is entitled to "the same legal treatment" as anyone else in Thailand - not the same as if he was "in the UK" or any other country.

If I had a car crash and someone like the appointee was available, I would be grateful.

So you would expect consular help for a " car crash"? "Seriously, don't people think?"

Will the appointee be able to properly represent British subjects accused of crime ......

NO! That is their lawyer's job, not his or any other consul's! He represents the Embassy, not any individual. Its simple - and hopefully he will remember that even if others do not.

Personally, I have to wonder if the appointee will be able to act on behalf of tourists that experience a police shakedown.

Wonder on - that is not his job (again).

If the consul is there to help expats make their concerns known, then the appointee is well suited for that position.

That is the last thing he "is there" for (again, again).

Certainly the position was advertised by the British Embassy and whilst it's not unusual for individuals to be invited to apply for certain positions I don't know if this happened in Howard's case. I do know that they did carry out a pretty vigorous and transparent recruitment campaign.

It didn't, he wasn't, and while it was transparent it was far from " vigorous" (although others posting in this thread were among the applicants!).

I'm sure Howard was recommended to fill the shoes of Barry..........

Anyone applying for the job needed to include three "referees" in their application; embassy employees (including the present Honorary Consul) were not allowed to act as referees, and it is and has always been embassy policy that outgoing HCs are excluded from any part of the selection process for their successor. Any implication that Howard Miller was "recommended" in some other way or by anyone connected with the Embassy in any form is not only an assumption but it is incorrect and would have been totally unethical.

Please see the above entry for the original post.

Mr. John Leech, you seem to have a a significant amount of displaced anger. You describe my statements as "utter and absolute rubbish". Well then sir, I suggest you have a word with the FCO about the duties that have been defined as it seems that the FCO does not agree with your interpretation and the last I heard, the FCO set the work description and specified the duties.

1. You object to my use of the word ensure. The word means "to make safe or secure; protect". This does not require one to personally intervene. It can take the form of alerting the appropriate embassy officials and providing an advise. The honorary consul ensures that legal rights are respected by acting in a prompt and timely manner by advising the embassy of such matters. I never said that that anyone would intervene in the capacity as legal counsel. I regret that I was not more explicit and did not reduce the statement to pablum for the mind.

2. You objected to my statement "If I had a car crash and someone like the appointee was available, I would be grateful."

I'm sorry it you find that offensive, but I do believe the gentleman would be an invaluable source of advice and direction. A few minutes of advice can save hours of headaches.

You proclaimed, So you would expect consular help for a " car crash"? "Seriously, don't people think?"

You should heed your own advice and perhaps consider some sober second thought before jumping to a conclusion. I would indeed be grateful for any help rendered, even though you might not be. I am polite. I did not state that I expected consular help. However, I do know that it would be given if I ended up in the ER following an incident. I also know that if I asked for advice as to what to do if I ran over someone, I would be pointed in the direction of where to get help. Consular help, can take the form of direction to a hospital, or an advise to the FCO crisis center and a resulting notification of next of kin. It can also take the form of facilitating the transfer of funds from my bank to pay emergency expenses or it can take the form of visiting an injured person in hospital as has been the case with some people. I have been present when honorary consuls have visited their nationals in hospital.

Please note the following duties duly set out by the FCO (Pay close attention and read slowly so you get the gist, ok.)

http://www.fco.gov.u...onorary-consuls

The function of the Honorary Consul falls into 3 main areas:

Consular work: British Nationals who find themselves in personal difficulties or have enquiries related to consular matters, will be able to receive direct assistance from the Honorary Consul.

Commercial work: The Honorary Consul can act as a link between British and local institutions and businesses, helping to develop cooperation and joint working between commercial and non-commercial organisations.

Representation: At events and public functions the Honorary Consul will be able to act as a representative of the British Embassy.

The issue is further explained with; http://ukinthailand....ations/pattaya/

The Honorary Consulate is able to provide assistance to British nationals when things go wrong, such as following an arrest or being admitted to hospital. They can also provide advice on routine consular issues, such as passport applications and notarial services.

Mr. John Leech, are you saying that the FCO and the British Embassy in Bangkok are telling tall tales, and that they do not help citizens that have been injured?

What part of the following is so hard for you to accept? British Nationals who find themselves in personal difficulties or have enquiries related to consular matters, will be able to receive direct assistance from the Honorary Consul

Will the appointee be able to properly represent British subjects accused of crime ......

NO! That is their lawyer's job, not his or any other consul's! He represents the Embassy, not any individual. Its simple - and hopefully he will remember that even if others do not.

Is English your first language? Where did I state that the representation would take the form of legal counsel. Again I refer you to the activities as described by the FCO. Representation can take the form of referral to a competent member of the Thai bar. The honorary consul is not a member of the Thai bar. I know that. Everyone knows that. What were you trying to prove? It is self evident that an honorary consul cannot undertake certain activities as the honorary consular does not enjoy standard consular immunity.

You then object to the following;

Personally, I have to wonder if the appointee will be able to act on behalf of tourists that experience a police shakedown.

Wonder on - that is not his job (again).

No it is not an honorary consul's job, but acting in such cases is part of the function. You live in Thailand right? You are aware of the problem with Phuket's tuk tuks and taxis, right? Which group of people has been leading the charge on behalf of individual tourists that have been ripped off? Here. let me help you, and please read closely again, I know it may be a tad painful chewing on these words;

By John Le Fevre Thailand Travel News for June 15, 2010

THAILAND TRAVEL NEWS: Phuket's governor is taking direct action in an attempt to put an end to the constant string of complaints from tourists and honorary foreign consuls about the island's taxi's and tuk-tuks.

Perhaps it is different in Pattaya, but on Phuket, the honorary consuls have been working with each other to respond to the tuk tuk rip offs. Do you understand the point?

If the consul is there to help expats make their concerns known, then the appointee is well suited for that position.

That is the last thing he "is there" for (again, again).

Again what is your point? The honorary consuls regularly meet with the social organizations of expats and relay the concerns raised to both the Embassy and to local officials when the occassion arises. The issue of the tuk tuks on Phuket is an example. The issue with passport and visa services with the Embassy is another example. Unless you are now claiming the articles in the Chiang Mai news and Phuket Gazette are fictitious. An honorary consul is an important asset because he or she is able to provide a local assessment and can serve as the local eyes and ears of the embassy.

Mr. John Leech, in future if you want to come after me, please do your homework.

Congratulations - I guess...

It's refreshing to see a "down to earth" type of bloke getting this type of post; I hope he can represent Britain well. .........

I'm not actually sure what I'm trying to say... other than I think the guy we have up here in CM, even with all his privileges early in life, has given so much that he really deserves the job. I guess Howard does too in a different way, and it's good to see the old class barriers being broken down - when it's the right person to do it! :jap:

Possibly that rightly or wrongly (depending on your point of view) education, birth, social standing and "class" do still count for something in some areas. Thailand, particularly in the higher echelons of power, happens to be one of those areas so (again rightly or wrongly) it may well be that outward appearances and wearing the right tie (or even possessing a tie!) count for as much as inward motivation and the right ability.

Please see the above entry for the original post.

Mr. John Leech, you seem to have a a significant amount of displaced anger.

Mr GK, you seem to have overlooked that "seriously, don't people think" was taken from your post, where you wrote "Look at one has to deal with. Seriously don't people think? The poor chap isn't even in a position to do something now and yet it starts with an unreasonable demand. Perhaps a collectionwill need to be taken to pay for the anacid and calmative potions that will be required."

The FCO have indeed specified the duties. They were given, in full, on the British Embasy website as part of the HC's job description; evidently you cannot understand them.

English is indeed my first language which is why, for example, I understand the meaning of such simple words as ensure (to make sure, make certain, guarantee, warrant - to make sure that something happens or is done), and represent (to speak or act for someone, act for another officially, go somewhere for someone, etc). You evidently do not, which possibly explains why you have misunderstood the various statements you have quoted.

This misunderstanding would, however, go some way to explaining how honorary foreign consuls complaining about "the problem with Phuket's tuk tuks and taxis ............... leading the charge on behalf of individual tourists that have been ripped off" is an example of how the HC is "able to act on behalf of tourists that experience a police shakedown"; I am afraid that I cannot see the connection.

I have no interest in "coming after you", however if you think you have some strange right to "go after" others (such as the passport loser) and to interpret very clear policy statements by the FCO to suit your view and your post, which you have also re-interpreted, then think again. Some of your "antacid and calmative potions " may be in order.

• 2 months later...

Great news Howard,i,m so happy for you.

You did so much for so many people (in problems ) already,looks like the right person in a extraordinary place.

Wish you a lot of wisdom and hope that all people now see the real Howard.

I,ve not been around for some time,the price i have to pay for being married to a true philippina sweetheart.

Greetings Han-Amsterdam

This is the guy from the reality tv show who barely speaks any Thai, right? :whistling:

Correct, but does possess a decent level of hand gesturing with which to communicate with.

"Big Trouble in Thailand" was the name of the series on Bravo, although it was originally titled, "Big Trouble in Tourist Thailand".

http://www.ovguide.com/tv/big_trouble_in_tourist_thailand.htm

Now I won't have you casting aspersions on the Honorary Consul's fluency in the Thai language. On that TV show he quite clearly said " Driver ti nai? " and if that isn't worthy of a job as translator at the UN I don't know what is.

Not a Brit, but.

To my view, this is a SHOCKINGLY poor idea to have the same man be both a major local MEDIA maven AND an honorary consul.

So an expat/tourist in distress, and he will see many, tells this man EVERYTHING to get the needed help of his government. Then what happens with his "secrets"? Isn't there the concern that they may be instantly reported in the less than ethical press here? Wouldn't that suppress the willingness of clients to be open with the HC?

It seems to me this is a ridiculously INAPPROPRIATE choice unless the media part of the job is quit.

Par for the course for Pattaya, I suppose.

Please note -- the questions in the post are general RHETORICAL questions. They were not intended to be directed to the new HC.

the previous HC was involved and wrote for a Pattaya publication:rolleyes:

Now I won't have you casting aspersions on the Honorary Consul's fluency in the Thai language. On that TV show he quite clearly said " Driver ti nai? " and if that isn't worthy of a job as translator at the UN I don't know what is.

In fact if there were any justice in the world he should be on the shortlist for the Ambassador's job in Bangkok.