Suki

Nordlys

I enjoy it sometimes, especially like the flavor the spicy side sauce, chilies, and garlic give to the broth. And some of the food chunks you throw in can be quite nice, such as fancy mushrooms, vegetables, and such.

However, I do have some idea as to why this isn't going to catch on big with farangs in farangland.

It is probably the most social, communal expression of Asian eating style. As most Westerners grew up with their own slop on their own plate, this is perhaps a tad too social for comfort. It is one thing sharing things family style with dishes that are brought to the table already cooked, with Suki, you gotta cook it!

Oh, the cooking. Cooking is work. You cook at home, how about having the food cooked for you when you go out? Also, there is the issue of food safety, undercooking meats and getting nasty diseases. This is of no concern in Thailand but there are Suki type places in America that are required to actively supervise the cooking to meet health standards. The suki places I have seen in America are populated almost exclusively by Asians or Asians with their non-Asian mates, just like Thailand.

There is a learning curve for the cooking for Westerners. Not much of one, but again, many people don't like to think at all when dining out.

Edited by Thaiquila

As a frequent suki eater will point out that in mixed company the food should be transferred to your own bowl with the stainless steel utensils provided. You then eat from your own dish with your own chopsticks.

Now when the family eats together there is no time for such things and we are more likely to eat directly from the pot.

Must say I now prefer the northern hot pot type provided at some BBQ Plaza locations for flavor.

In "Lost in Translation" Bill Murray says something like: "What kind of restaurant makes you cook your own food?"

At least you can see what you might be gonna eat both before and afterwards.

Not too fussy about communal "suki pot nosh" but the Thais all seem to like it.

Prefer the mongolian style 69 bt BBQ places which serve up the best bacon/ham I have ever had in LOS.

Next time I am taking along a couple of buttered rolls and a bottle of tomato sauce (heinz ...of course) :o

I quite like eating this type of meal in Japan (both sukiyaki, and shabu-shabu), but can not stand eating it in Thailand. Mostly to do with the quality/type of foods. Most of the restaurants I have tried in Thailand have been the Chain type – MK and such. I find the quality rather poor and lacking flavor – especially the seafood.

Maybe I just have not found the right restaurant in Thailand – anyone know of a really good quality Thai suki restaurant in Bangkok?

I quite like eating this type of meal in Japan (both sukiyaki, and shabu-shabu), but can not stand eating it in Thailand.  Mostly to do with the quality/type of foods.  Most of the restaurants I have tried in Thailand have been the Chain type – MK and such.  I find the quality rather poor and lacking flavor – especially the seafood. 

Maybe I just have not found the right restaurant in Thailand – anyone know of a really good quality Thai suki restaurant in Bangkok?

Being Japanese, I like all kind of nabemono (pot food) and I think it's pitty we don't have winter here in Thailand as I think they are best served in cold winter.

If you think you might like what Japaense like, try Coca suki TokyoT. If you go to Coca restaurant in Central World Plaza you'll find more than half its customers Japanese (and almost 90% Japanese at Coca in Suk. 39!). I (Jap) and my Thai wife also love suki and we think it's much better at Coca than at MK.

In "Lost in Translation" Bill Murray says something like: "What kind of restaurant makes you cook your own food?"
That is Shabu Shabu, BTW. Love it too. :o
Because it's nasty, maybe? All those boiled meatballs and lowgrade seafood...what's to like?

Lowgrade and nasty?? True. But I love it especially when it starts to look like somebody vomited in the pot. :D

BTW, what I like most at Coca is khao tom yippun (Japanese boiled rice in direct translation, but more like Italian risotto) they make from the left-over soup in pot. All waitresses at Coca suki restaurants know how to make it (but not at MK). Any suki lovers should try it. :D

Edited by Nordlys

I agree with TokyoT..

The quality of the food (in Mk or Coca) is so poor that I think I would not eat Thai suki again. Also, got sick from the time I went to one of those suki restaurants.

But I did try Japanese suki and it was way better than Thai suki. So if anyone fancies some (real) Japanese suki, you can try it at Takumi Restaurant on Sukhumvit soi 49 (and you don't have to cook)...

I dont think MK is that bad personally - but it depends on what you're used to I guess.

I used to not like suki very much, and used to turn my nose up at luuk chin - not so anymore. I find the vast majority of food and eating habits that used to be alien become acceptable with time. I now have no qualms using my chopsticks in the communal pot with other people, but used to think it was a big deal. Maybe I've grown lazy and reckless, but it sure is a lot more enjoyable this way...

:o

I enjoy it sometimes, especially like the flavor the spicy side sauce, chilies, and garlic give to the broth. And some of the food chunks you throw in can be quite nice, such as fancy mushrooms, vegetables, and such.

Same here. Can take or leave the food, but absolutely love the MK sauce, especially with a bit of extra chilies and garlic.

Took a visitor from UK along to MK once, and she was horrified by the whole concept. She couldn't accept that the fish was put in the bowl and cooked with the meat, let alone the fact that everyone tucks in together - she ended up with Kao Pad Gai :o

Took a visitor from UK along to MK once, and she was horrified by the whole concept. She couldn't accept that the fish was put in the bowl and cooked with the meat, let alone the fact that everyone tucks in together - she ended up with Kao Pad Gai 

I like MK and such. I find it quite a fun way to eat, works best if you're in a group though I think. I will be sure to try Coca now as well.

I took my parents to MK when they came to Thailand from the UK on holiday.Once they'd got the hang of it - they loved it! :o

I quite like eating this type of meal in Japan (both sukiyaki, and shabu-shabu), but can not stand eating it in Thailand.  Mostly to do with the quality/type of foods.  Most of the restaurants I have tried in Thailand have been the Chain type – MK and such.  I find the quality rather poor and lacking flavor – especially the seafood. 

I would imagine that what one pays for the entire meal in Bangkok might cover a single ingredient in Tokyo.

Making Khao tom with the soup afterwards is great....one of the best things about it. Just order some boiled rice, pepper, spring onions and an egg...mix it all up and the result is kaho tom with all the flavours of what has just been cooked. Fantastic!

I would imagine that what one pays for the entire meal in Bangkok might cover a single ingredient in Tokyo.

Yes there is certainly a price difference which probably covers some of the quality issues. Even with that being said there are some places in Tokyo that have reasonably priced meals (400 – 800 baht per person) and still much higher quality, and if you venture outside of Tokyo you can get even better values.

I have not been able to find even a high priced Thai suki restaurant that I have enjoyed near as much as Japanese suki in Japan. As general tastes go I much prefer Thai food over Japanese food – but when it comes to suki, for me there is no contest.

Yes there is certainly a price difference which probably covers some of the quality issues. Even with that being said there are some places in Tokyo that have reasonably priced meals (400 – 800 baht per person) and still much higher quality, and if you venture outside of Tokyo you can get even better values.

I have not been able to find even a high priced Thai suki restaurant that I have enjoyed near as much as Japanese suki in Japan. As general tastes go I much prefer Thai food over Japanese food – but when it comes to suki, for me there is no contest.

I think one factor is the cold water fish as I have never found fish here to have the flavor found down east in Maine in the US or snow country Hokkaido in Japan. Of course another factor is the hot Suki with hot saki getting your motor running on a cold winter day in Japan. I do prefer the noodles found in Japanese Sukiyaki.

Edited by lopburi3

Always have a laugh when I walk past,missus says why you laughing!!!

coca suki in siam :D

Reminds me of a story some jap language experts on the forum might be able to verify about hordes of jap tourists laughing and taking photos outside a restaurant in Akld NZ called CIN CIN.

Not sure how accurate but a rough translation I was told by unreliable sources was Erect penis??

Took a visitor from UK along to MK once, and she was horrified by the whole concept. She couldn't accept that the fish was put in the bowl and cooked with the meat, let alone the fact that everyone tucks in together - she ended up with Kao Pad Gai 

I like MK and such. I find it quite a fun way to eat, works best if you're in a group though I think. I will be sure to try Coca now as well.

I took my parents to MK when they came to Thailand from the UK on holiday.Once they'd got the hang of it - they loved it! :o

Must say I now prefer the northern hot pot type provided at some BBQ Plaza locations for flavor.

Where can I find that place, lopburi3?

I use the BBQ-Plaza located in Carrefour on Ratchada but believe most of them have both the northern suki and normal bbq sections now.

I use the BBQ-Plaza located in Carrefour on Ratchada but believe most of them have both the northern suki and normal bbq sections now.

Thanks for prompt response, lopburi 3.

I didn't know BBQ restaurants serve suki.

You mean most suki restaurants also serve northern suki?

Thanks for prompt response, lopburi 3.

I didn't know BBQ restaurants serve suki.

You mean most suki restaurants also serve northern suki?

This is the online link to the hot pot side of the chain (it really is tasty): http://www.barbqplaza.com/aboutjoom.htm

Edited by lopburi3

This is the online link to the hot pot side of the chain (it really is tasty):  http://www.barbqplaza.com/aboutjoom.htm

Thanks lopburi 3.

I think I have seen this restaurant in Future Park Rangsit and other places but I did not realize it is the name of a restaurant till I saw this link (thought it is a name of food court somewhere). :o

Edited by Nordlys

Why?    :D

Don't fancy the idea of sticking chopsticks with others in the same pot?

:o

Get the water hot enough and you should do a good job of killing most of the germs anyhow.

However, I being Farang and wierd anyhow, can get away with transferring the cooked food to my bowl. My Thai GF accepts that I Farangs have wierd ideas anyway.

Right now my GF is on a "vegetables are healthy and more spiritual" (no kill animals) kick. So I have to insist on putting meat/seafood/etc. in the pot. If I let her, it would be all cabbage and greens. However, I will fight with her to get any of those wonderful balck mushrooms. I usually have her order another hit of mushrooms, or she will take them all away from me. I also happen too like duck liver, she won't eat that, but I force her to add it to the pot. It's just for me, or sometimes her son. Also Beef Liver, or Chicken Livers if they are fresh.

I also love Octopus/Squid. Most of my Thai family won't touch that, so it is left for "Daddy". Nice to be a "crazy" farang sometimes.

And being a "crazy" farang I also insist on a bowl of rice to eat my tidbits with. THat is somehing I learned and still practice from my Vietnam days many years ago.

In Vietnam the literal translation of "Have you eaten?" is "Have you had Rice?", because Rice is the same as Food to a Vietnamese.

:D

And those green noodles ... what's not to like?

Tha't mee yok (jade noodles) and they're esp good with MK's roast duck, which rates as some of the best pet yaang you'll find outside of Yaowarat.

BTW, what I like most at Coca is khao tom yippun (Japanese boiled rice in direct translation, but more like Italian risotto) they make from the left-over soup in pot. All waitresses at Coca suki restaurants know how to make it (but not at MK). Any suki lovers should try it.

Japanese rice makes excellent khao tom and jok, and a lot of Thais these days use it to make these dishes at home.

Myself, I prefer MK suki to Coca suki, though of course Coca is the original suki chain.

The tastiest luuk chin at MK, in my opinion, is the jao thaleh (sea lord), made with mixed seafood and plenty of unnatural seasonings to make esp savoury ...