Virtual Office And Home Office

Misty

Does anyone know if Immigration allows this type of business set-up for foreigners who own companies and are on business visas with one year extensions:

1) Foreigner's company uses Virtual Office for company registration, mailing address, phone service and meeting rooms

2) Company uses a home office for actual work space: All computers, printers, company records and files are maintained at the home office

3) Work permit lists both Virtual Office and Home Office addresses

The reason I ask is that I'm thinking about moving my home and office. Currently I use a home office for all of the above purposes (registration, work space, etc), and my current landlord has no problem with me registering my company at my home. But the landlord of the new property I'm considering won't allow me to register my company (although he has no problem with me having a home office for working--just no registration).

Thanks for any help or suggestions, Misty

You would have been better posting in the business section but I guess a Moderator will move it when it's noticed.

I'm pretty sure that you can use a Virtual Office as an official commercial address. It's something I've been looking into as well.

Take a look at this TV Sponsors site HERE

Good luck.

Hi dvdlock and Mario, thanks, but my question was actually about Immigration and their requirements for a one year extension on a business visa. Sorry if I wasn't very clear. Wonder if this can be moved back to Visa thread?

It's my understanding too that a Virtual office can be used for registering a business. If you are applying for a one year extension on a business visa, it's also my understanding that Immigration then goes to the registered address to look for an office. If your office is not there, but in a home, will Immigration still approve the one year extension?

Thanks, Misty

You would have been better posting in the business section but I guess a Moderator will move it when it's noticed.

I'm pretty sure that you can use a Virtual Office as an official commercial address. It's something I've been looking into as well.

Take a look at this TV Sponsors site HERE

Good luck.

Edited by Misty

Hi Misty,

you are at the right spot B)

You cannot get a work permit for a home office unless the office room is completely separated from the living area and large enough to host you and your 4 Thai staff. Lacking the work permit, I see no chance for the visa extension.

best of luck!

raro

It's my understanding too that a Virtual office can be used for registering a business. If you are applying for a one year extension on a business visa, it's also my understanding that Immigration then goes to the registered address to look for an office. If your office is not there, but in a home, will Immigration still approve the one year extension?

They most likely will not!

Immigration is really more interested in your 4 employee's being on the job, regardless where your office might be.

What they do not like is you paying social security/taxes on 4 employees who are not actually employed. i.e. doing the work and getting paid an actual salary for it.

So, you would need to have your 4 employees to be working at that virtual office, which might prove a tad difficult.

Additionally, your work permit states the address of where you are employed and you are only allowed to work while at that address (save for some exceptions such as consultants moving around). If that address is at your virtual office, you would not be allowed to work at your home address.

• 10 months later...

I didn't know Dept of Immigration was concerned where your office was? (you better check that)

They certainly are not the Department that registers companies.

A company run by a foreigner has to be legit and that does mean occupying commercial premises and employing the Thai directors in real affairs of the business.

There is no requirement that the directors report daily to the office - especially if they are traveling salesmen etc. :) So if any regulators want to see the Thai directors at work they better hop on a bus and monitor the highways around the country - or they could make an appointment!

• 3 months later...

I am also registering a new business after i had a disagreement with my previous partner and lost my work permit and visa on that account.

Now i am in the process or registering a new business and applying for the work permit. The function of my business doesn't need a big office,

i therefore was suggested to use a virtual office for company registration.

What confuses me with the info in this thread is as said and as far i know:

• you can not get a work permit if the office is not large enough to host you and 4 Thai Staff.

• some thai legal authority dept. might come and inspect the premisses.

On my previous workplace, we had to supply pictures of offices premisses.

All this makes me ask, can you at all start a business registering the company in a virtual office?

How come is a virtual office legal if it is supposed to have room enough for 5 people?