Boiled Egg.. Sort Of..

Totster

A while back my wife, her sister and myself went for lunch at the Rimpao ( also enjoying a swim in the pool there ).

As usual I let them choose what to eat, while I selected the drinks :D

They ordered all the usual but my eye caught a dish that I hadn't seen before...

The best way to desribe it is boiled eggs that had been halved... but the difference is that instead of the egg white being white it was black / brown in colour, and just like jelly (jello for our US friends), and was translucent...

So I tried it and it tasted fine... when I asked the missus what it was she said something about Buffalo pee pee... :o

So ... what is it, how is it made...and what's it called.... ??? :D

totster :D

A while back my wife, her sister and myself went for lunch at the Rimpao ( also enjoying a swim in the pool there ).

As usual I let them choose what to eat, while I selected the drinks  :D

They ordered all the usual but my eye caught a dish that I hadn't seen before...

The best way to desribe it is boiled eggs that had been halved... but the difference is that instead of the egg white being white it was black / brown in colour, and just like jelly (jello for our US friends), and was translucent...

So I tried it and it tasted fine... when I asked the missus what it was she said something about Buffalo pee pee...  :o

So ... what is it, how is it made...and what's it called.... ???  :D

totster  :D

Your wife is right - the Thai call the egg "Kai Yiew Ma" - it's the Chinese "100 year egg" made mainly of duck egg - see Rinrada's posting in the "Egg" thread for how it's made...

1442062-Travel_Picture-a_thousand_year_egg.jpg

Preserved Duck Egg(Kai yeaw mah) is specially marinated and fermented for a period of time before it is ready. Some may call Thousand Egg.

The Chinese art of preserving eggs by alkaline fermentation is one of the most unusual styles of food preservation documented,

The dark-brown translucent and greenish-black globular yolks of Thousand Year Eggs (the poetic name suggests an age a lot older than the actual fermentation process of around 100 days)

Ingredients

2 cups very strong black tea

1/3 cup salt

2 cups pinewood ashes

2 cups charcoal ashes from the fireplace

1 cup lime

12 fresh duck eggs

* Pine cones/pinewood and lime are available in garden stores.

Method

Combine all the ingredients together except for the eggs. Thickly coat each egg completely with this clay-like mixture. Line a large crock (ceramic pot) with garden soil and carefully lay the coated eggs on top. Cover with more soil and place the crock in a cool dark place. Allow to cure for 100 days. To remove coating, scrape eggs and rinse under running water to clean thoroughly. Crack lightly and remove shells. The white of the egg will appear a grayish, translucent color and have a gelatinous texture. The yolk, when sliced, will be a grayish-green color.

(from cookbook)

Bambi

ps.. i dont like it...smelly heheh :o

Edited by BambinA

They taste quite good, when you get used to them. :o

The secret to the best 1,000 year eggs always used to be to use clay with a high arsenic content rather than the garden soil suggested above.

(You neet to keep the crock and contents damp during the curing process.)

As usual I let them choose what to eat, while I selected the drinks  :D

So I tried it and it tasted fine... when I asked the missus what it was she said something about Buffalo pee pee...  :o

Your wife is right - the Thai call the egg "Kai Yiew Ma" - it's the Chinese "100 year egg" made mainly of duck egg - see Rinrada's posting in the "Egg" thread for how it's made...

So I take it that the Ammonia ( found out after reading Rinrada's post ) content would be from "buffalo pee pee" then...? :D

totster :D

Edited by Totster