Alcohol Beverage Control Act 2008

BOBBYTIN

last week a bar in pattaya was raided,the manger was arrested for having beer coolers and other promotional stuff in the toilets,what is that all about,what can you show in a bar,where can i find out the law, if this is old stuff i apologize, i am new in town.are they just picking on that one bar,i dont think so,they,dont know who they are,were active in krabi last week .can anyone cast a light on this.the story is in pattaya news,insomnia bar.thank you

Section 1. This Act shall be called the “Alcohol Beverage Control Act B.E. 2551”

Section 2. This Act shall come into force the day following the date of its publication in the Government Gazette

Did this act actual become law?

Hmm yes...

Some key details of the act can be summarized as follows:

- Alcohol may not be sold or consumed in temples,religious places, health-related sites, petrol station orshops nearby, and public parks. Neither may alcohol besold at government sites, hostels and educational institutions.

- It is forbidden to sell alcohol using automaticvending machines, by hawking or to offer discounts to promote sales.

- No gifts, rewards or prizes may be provided.

- Alcoholic drinks may not be offered to try or toimpose any conditions that oblige the purchase of alcohol.

- It is now forbidden to sell alcoholic drinks toanyone under 20 years old.

- It is forbidden to advertise alcoholic beveragesdirectly or show the drinking of alcohol.

- Advertising and PR limiting to information on socialcontributions, without any appearance of products or package,is allowed.

- Symbol or logo of the drink or company’s logo areallowed in advertising.

- Advertisements originating outside Thailand, e.g.shirt sponsorship of Everton FC, will not be affected by the regulations.

To answer the OP's question, most likely a case of selective enforcement due to lack of providing enough incentives?

Lack of incentives becoming an issue now in Patong. 3 bars on Pisitkoranee busted for operating beyond 12 midnight. Friday night, before 3rd / 4th place World Cup match, so extended operating hours did not apply. Cheeky. Fined (10K+) plus suspended 3 month sentences for Thai staff. Beware.

Your new here. I hope you are not asking because you are planning to open ANOTHER bar here.

not new to thailand,16 years so far.The bar, guesthouse thing yes i am one of those,thanks for input,just a heads up thats all,tourism is down a tad so the local who ever are out looking for ways to get funds,apparently ashtrays, coolers, tiger etc logo,bar mats, tissue holders all no no,also happy hour and ladies nights drinks free kind of thing all not allowed.

And beware of first time thai young men asking for beer,to serve an under 20 years old is now illegal,wont be long before there are teams doing the rounds,thank you all.

• Like 1