Old Pc'S And Wi-Fi Function

Richb2004v2

My nieces need a simple PC for their studies. I gave them my previous laptop which was a few years old. They now tell me it needs wireless function to connect their friends internet. If I have an older laptop or PC how do I go about making it wi-fi? Is there any kind of dongle I can get?

My nieces need a simple PC for their studies. I gave them my previous laptop which was a few years old. They now tell me it needs wireless function to connect their friends internet. If I have an older laptop or PC how do I go about making it wi-fi? Is there any kind of dongle I can get?

So which is it? Laptop or PC? Model? Your location?

An example

Plenty of USB WiFi adapters to be had in TukCom, Pattaya. Not too far from your location I believe. I recently bought an D-Link 11G adapter for a desk top machine but as it just plugs into any available USB port it could equally well be used on a laptop machine.

DM

So which is it? Laptop or PC? Model? Your location?

An example

It's an early Sony Vios. I don't know the actual model. Probably around 8 years old. I'm thinking this is too old though and might try to pick up a more recent second hand laptop.

You'll end up spending close to what a new low end laptop would cost before it would be decently usable.

I suggest picking up a 12-13 thousand Baht low end laptop. It will have everything they need.

If you want more details please PM me and I'll help you out.

Would be worth upgrading the RAM to at least 512MB or better 1GB to make the laptop usable.

I sourced an old Dell c600 about the same age for a friend short of funds recently and with a USB wifi dongle and a RAM upgrade it works fine for basic surfing. Make sure you have anti-virus and a firewall. (I used AVG and Zone alarm, both free for my friend)

cheers

If you are concerned about it breaking, you would be better off with a PCMCIA card. Example shown here. Another advantage is that it leaves the USB ports free.

If you are from the UK or have friends coming out, there are some good bargains to be had there....with a genuinely licenced OS. :)

Examples: Zoostorm Freedom Netbook for the princely sum of £144(7100 baht). Unattainable in Thailand for the same specification.

MSI X410 £234(11500 baht)

Good spec laptop with Windows 7 £304(15000 baht)

Medion Akoya P6613

Intel Pentium dual core T4200 processor.

2.00GHz processor speed.

4GB DDR2 RAM.

16in screen size.

Resolution 1366 x 768 pixels.

320GB SATA hard drive.

Multi format dual layer drive.

NVIDIA GeForce G105M graphics.

256MB graphics memory.

Multi card reader.

Express Card slot 54

4 USB ports.

e-SATA port.

HDMI.

1.3MP webcam.

802.11 b/g/n wireless enabled.

Windows 7 Premium operating system installed.

Up to 2.5 hours battery life.

Weight 3kg

Used to be cheaper to get laptops in Thailand. Now it's cheaper from the UK. :)