Software Piracy Hurts Thai Businesses

george

Software piracy hurts Thai businesses

BANGKOK: -- Software piracy in Thailand is hurting Thai businesses and stifling national development, the Microsoft boss, Bill Gates, warned on Thursday.

The Thai government’s commitment to stamp out software piracy is

appreciated, the world’s richest man and Microsoft Chairman told journalists during his twenty-four hour stop-over in Bangkok.

The political will is there to face this critical challenge, but it will take time to resolve, he added.

Microsoft has not quantified the losses it suffers from software piracy in Thailand although it was a significant problem, he said.

The more rampant software piracy is in the country, the more damaging it is to Thai businesses, he warned.

Foreign software piracy also leads to the violation of locally-created works and limits the development of Thailand's software industry, he said.

After the governments in Hong Kong and Taiwan virtually wiped out software piracy, which peaked over a decade ago, the local software industry in the two business islands began to thrive, he noted.

In the US, people are willing to pay more for legal products, which promotes economic growth and the development of the domestic software industry.

Bill Gates said Microsoft would continue to work as a trade partner with Thailand and bring its technology to help serve a variety of sectors, including agriculture.

--TNA 2005-07-01

(Microsoft) software privacy surely is affecting his business but has nothing to do with current Thai businesses.

However, on the flip side I can see his point how it would negatively affect local economy if Thai developed software was being pirated.

Bottom line, anyone who pays 3000 baht instead of 100 baht for Windows or any software for that matter is doing so most likely out of fear of breaking some law, not because they support some mega rich billionaire who could be losing extra profits in an IT monopoly.

In the US, people are willing to pay more for legal products, which promotes economic growth and the development of the domestic software industry.

--TNA 2005-07-01

I’d say this has a lot more to do with available supply in the US than it has to do with the upstanding desire of us Americans to purchase legal products.

Do you think that if knock-off copies of MS anything were as readily available in the US as they are in Asia there wouldn’t a ton of folks buying them?

Bill Gates said Microsoft would continue to work as a trade partner with Thailand and bring its technology to help serve a variety of sectors, including agriculture.

--TNA 2005-07-01

Ya – I can see all the farmers lining up now to get the newest version of windows. :o:D

I wonder what billy thinks happens tho all that money which is not sent offshore to "the worlds richest man"and his ilk...does he think they just burn it? or does he realise it gets spent mostly in the local economy...

he needs to come up with better FUD than that - though I am sure mr "t" has bought the line of <deleted>..

There is only one effective way to stop so-called software piracy:

Stop over pricing software (especially in relation to developing economies).

Also:

* Stop charging full price overseas for software that is clearly targeting a US based population. E.g. Quicken (personal accounting software with its 401 acounts and links to US banks & stocks), satelite imaging software where the bulk of the high resolution pictures are in North America, etc, etc.

* Start differentiating between commercial and private use. Allowing people to use free or significantly discounted software at home makes it more likely that these users will be inclined to request similar software at work.

That's exactly why I hink he's paid a visit here and promised to help the government with IT Technology. Drop a fed hundred million baht, government sort of feels guilty about piracy, closes down Panthip shops and makes pirated softare really illegal. Was his cheapest and only sure option to stop it.

• 3 months later...

Although Microsoft keeps insisting that there is genuine competition in the fields of operating systems and office applications, the fact is that Microsoft has a virtual monopoly.

If Microsoft’s profit margin on Windows and Office were not so exorbitantly high I would say that Bill Gates could benefit from reading about the Laffer Curve.

Briefly, the Laffer Curve shows that with income tax – where somebody, the government, undoubtedly has an absolute monopoly – once the tax rate exceeds a certain “pain threshold”, the higher the rate, the lower the total revenue.

More likely, Gates knows all about the Laffer Curve and uses it to his best advantage.

Let us make some assumptions, which are probably all wrong but which can serve as variable parameters for any alternative calculation you might be inclined to make:

Cost of development of a new version of Office XP Home Upgrade: USD 1,000,000,000

Number of licences sold at current price of USD 95/licence: 100,000,000

Total revenue with current price: USD 9,500,000,000

Total profit with current price: USD 8,500,000,000

Number of licences sold at reduced price of USD 25/licence: 300,000,000

Total revenue with reduced price: USD 7,500,000,000

Total profit with reduced price: USD 6,500,000,000

In other words, if Microsoft reduced the price to a more reasonable USD 25 and thus tripled sales, total profit would be USD 2 billion less.

Also:

* Stop charging full price overseas for software that is clearly targeting a US based population. E.g. Quicken (personal accounting software with its 401 acounts and links to US banks & stocks), satelite imaging software where the bulk of the high resolution pictures are in North America, etc, etc.

Microsoft Money is supplied localised in the UK for our particular needs and works quite well. It's also reasonably priced. Quicken bailed out of the Uk at the beginning of the year.

Also:

* Start differentiating between commercial and private use. Allowing people to use free or significantly discounted software at home makes it more likely that these users will be inclined to request similar software at work.

Total rubbish! Next thing you know they will want to change the Mercedes and Rolls prices for the not so well off. Either buy what you want or do not. Price should be driven by demand and not theft rate.

For those working for large companies and looking for some extra income take a look at this: LINK

I hate piracy!

I hate rats.

Ps. I'm a software-developer and would like it if people bought my applications. Unfortuanly I'm not in the position where I can hack out any crap I want and overcharge for it just because I have a huge PR-machine behind me. Ds.

I hate rats.

Ps. I'm a software-developer and would like it if people bought my applications. Unfortuanly I'm not in the position where I can hack out any crap I want and overcharge for it just because I have a huge PR-machine behind me. Ds.

I have not and will not take part in the program mentioned, but, how would you feel if went into the flower business, working hard every day for years, until such time that you had a special orchid developed. And along comes someone, and takes pollen from your flower and copies it, making yours less valuable. Better yet, they steal it. You would be angry would you not?

The fact that someone is sucessful at what they do, should not make it OK to steal from them.

As for the quality of the product....... no comment, cause I get it leaglly free due to my Brother in Law working there.

Edited by mouse

I have not and will not take part in the program mentioned, but, how would you feel if went into the flower business, working hard every day for years, until such time that you had a special orchid developed.  And along comes someone, and takes pollen from your flower and copies it, making yours less valuable.  Better yet, they steal it.  You would be angry would you not?

The irony...

Infact, people have taking our Orchids and registers themselfs or cloning them on a weekly basis. Usually it was done by richer cultivators in the West that could afford the registration-cost per hybrid.

Ps. In America you don't have to develope the program yourself, you can register software patents, that are shallow, superficial concept-descriptions. So as soon as a small developer like me comes along, a larger company can come along and patent the concept. And if I happend to patent it first, they can work their way through court in 10-15 years to stall any payments and drive me bancrupt from lawyer-fees. How is that for justice? Ds.

Edited by TAWP

After the governments in Hong Kong and Taiwan virtually wiped out software piracy, which peaked over a decade ago, the local software industry in the two business islands began to thrive, he noted.

--TNA 2005-07-01

Just lies.

The overpriced products are protected by laws which were made by paying off the lawmakers. Copywrights are for books and songs NOT TECHNOLOGY. Technology has always been covered by patent law which requires disclosure about the new technology.

The whole industry is total BS and a scam just like $30 - $50 music CDs.

I hate rats.

If the stuff is any good someone will buy it. Try setting up a booth at Pantip. You can get about 125 baht / CD. Should keep you in rice money.

Bottom line, anyone who pays 3000 baht instead of 100 baht for Windows or any software for that matter is doing so most likely out of fear of breaking some law, not because they support some mega rich billionaire who could be losing extra profits in an IT monopoly.

Why does it have to be FEAR of the law that stops someone from stealing or buying stolen goods? Why can't it be RESPECT for the law and the property rights of others?

It's probably the wrong board for this discussion anyway. I really would like to know if the owners and moderators of ThaiVisa.com have arranged to purchase the publication rights for all the full-text stories and articles that get posted here.

Why does it have to be FEAR of the law that stops someone from stealing or buying stolen goods? Why can't it be RESPECT for the law and the property rights of others?

It's probably the wrong board for this discussion anyway. I really would like to know if the owners and moderators of ThaiVisa.com have arranged to purchase the publication rights for all the full-text stories and articles that get posted here.

When some company pays to have a law written to their benefit is that worthy of RESPECT?

If I could pass a law which allows me to charge you whenever you drive your car would you RESPECT my rights? Same Same

When some company pays to have a law written to their benefit is that worthy of RESPECT?

If I could pass a law which allows me to charge you whenever you drive your car would you RESPECT my rights? Same Same

Which company? Which law? Cite actual examples, please.

This has nothing to do with driving cars. It has to do with respecting other people's rights to ownership of the things they create. And one of those rights of ownership is to demand whatever price you want for your product.

A consumer has only three choices: purchase at the requested price; negotiate for a lower price; refuse to purchase on any terms.

The fourth option, simply taking something that you feel is too expensive, is theft. There is no justification for it. You will not starve because you cannot get WindowsXP at the price you would prefer to pay so there is not even a moral justification for it.

If anyone doesn't like these simple facts they are welcome to have a go with Linux or other free things. Though if their computer skills are as poor as their morals, I doubt they'll have much success with it. (For the record I know how to install, configure and use Linux, but I choose a fully legal Microsoft operating system.)

And yes, Jim, there are laws of the sort you so misguidedly try to introduce into your failed argument by anolgy. There are toll roads for one; there are fuel surcharges and taxes which are diverted for environmental projects, road building and the like. Those are good things and I'm glad laws like that exist. I'm wondering if you don't try to steal petrol to avoid those "unrespectable" laws and costs, too...

I really would like to know if the owners and moderators of ThaiVisa.com have arranged to purchase the publication rights for all the full-text stories and articles that get posted here.

Strange. This doubt in the legal origin of these articles doesn't stop you from reading them here, apparently.

If it just happens that ThaiVisa copied articles to which it didn't obtain full publication rights (ie 'stolen' it), and you read the artcile (ie. 'used' it), then in fact, you are no different than the people who use other kinds of illegally obtained material, be it CDs, DVDs, or WinXP.

So, according to your own definitions, now you have two options, Farang:

- request ThaiVisa to buy legal rights to each and every article they post here. In the very unlikely case they'd accept your suggestion, buy the subscription service that they would inevitably charge for it to cover the cost;

- or, in the case of a likely denial, please terminate your membership with ThaiVisa, and start subscribing to a plethora of newspapers, magazines and news agencies, then spend all your time reading through them.

If you keep reading and posting here, you may risk using illegally obtained material, 'theft' by your definition.

Oh, but you didn't do the thieving, it's ThaiVisa's responsiblity to ensure that they have legal rights for everything before they post stuff here! You only read it, just used it, it's not theft, right?

If it's not, then the end users of, say, bootlegged programs are also not responsible. They didn't hack the warez, they are only users - just like you here.

Time to do a reality check on your principles, Farang.

Edited by SiamJai

Think if you made software reasonable price then 99% would buy it legally. The price point is too high for the average person.

The sad fact is that it doesn’t work that way, competition does not work.

Linux is free and for a reasonable amount one can get it with a good graphic user interface.

OpenOffice Version 2.0 does everything and more the pirate user of MS Office needs and is absolutely free.

I am not defending MS – on the contrary, I dislike their exaggerated prices – but it amazes me why alternative programs are not used more. Even the pirate users of MS programs help to increase the popularity of these programs.

A consumer has only three choices: purchase at the requested price; negotiate for a lower price; refuse to purchase on any terms.

There are always many more options. Copy it yourself, have someone else copy it and pay 100 baht etc. I have no problem with skirting unfair laws concocted by special interest groups.

I do not see anyone photocyping a 100 baht book? When the price is right the copying industry should be squashed.

The thai govt thinks it is a good thing so it will continue.

Bla h blah blah.....

To post on the forum most of us are useing personall Pcs or laptops.... :D

so my question is how many here can honestly say they have 100percent legal software for all applications.????? :o

For those that hate panthip etc no one forces you to go there. software fully liscened is readily available on line.

Real software IS overpriced and out of reach for the masses.

My own company used to import interactive Cds for certain training industrys,After customs etc rape us we had a price of over 1600bht per DVD disk.

We now manufacture in Thailand and guess what fully legal liscenced copies are now 300bht each.... :D

And Yes we are still turning profit and guess what sales are up.

If we can do this why cant a big coperation such as microsoft.

SIMPLE THEY ARE GREEDY BSTDS.... :D

The illegal software industry in Hong Kong is now dead eh? What kind of <deleted> would beleive that?

As for the Linux option - I have seriously considered going that route, but many of the applications I need on a daily basis are simply not available for that OS, not to mention the difficulties of setting the thing up and getting it to work properly.

I wholeheartedly support the idea of a "free" OS like Linux, but driver install problems, programme availability, compatibility etc are issues that make it too difficult at this time to switch over. The big issue here is, as many have identified, the huge profits made possible by MS overcharging for their products.

To say "If you don't want to pay, go elsewhere." is unrealistic these days. Windows is so entrenched as an OS, that many of us have no alternative since the software we need may not have been ported to Linux or whatever OS. I am therefore faced with paying for my legal copies of software, and it is a real killer, I can tell you.

I buy legal software, but I would welcome a reduction in the gouging we take every time there is an "upgrade"...my credit card would be less likely to burst into flames too.... :o

Edited by Greer