What Restaurants Have You Eaten Out At Recently?

Paul888

I know there is a "restaurants in Chiang Rai" sticky post but it was started in 2005, is out of date, and a few peoples' attempts at resurrecting it have failed miserably.

So please tell me where YOU guys have eaten out recently so that I may have a few more places to add to my options list when I want to avoid watching the wife slave over a hot stove.

I have tried and not really disliked:

Da Vinci - not quite what I want

Ayes - same dish on different days different result

The dutch place in same road - menu made me very interested but reality has so many items that it surely must be impossible for food to not be hanging around part cooked too long. (my family were pretty unimpressed so although my food was ok, I don;t think we will be returning)

The 3 options at Big C are ok I suppose despite them all tasting "plastic" to me:

(MK, Black Canyon and S&P)

Eko cha ? (in front of st Marys school) - actually not so bad.

Took Tong (will edit address when wife comes back) - also nice Thai food and good prices.

Tomato Japanese - family loved it, for me was passable.

But there MUST be more than this.

What I really crave is a good roast dinner (Turkey would be a dream come true) or even a steak pie with vegetables cooked in the pan long enough to actually get wet.

Anybody?

Will travel for food !

I know there is a "restaurants in Chiang Rai" sticky post but it was started in 2005, is out of date, and a few peoples' attempts at resurrecting it have failed miserably.

So please tell me where YOU guys have eaten out recently so that I may have a few more places to add to my options list when I want to avoid watching the wife slave over a hot stove.

I have tried and not really disliked:

Da Vinci - not quite what I want

Ayes - same dish on different days different result

The dutch place in same road - menu made me very interested but reality has so many items that it surely must be impossible for food to not be hanging around part cooked too long. (my family were pretty unimpressed so although my food was ok, I don;t think we will be returning)

The 3 options at Big C are ok I suppose despite them all tasting "plastic" to me:

(MK, Black Canyon and S&P)

Eko cha ? (in front of st Marys school) - actually not so bad.

Took Tong (will edit address when wife comes back) - also nice Thai food and good prices.

Tomato Japanese - family loved it, for me was passable.

But there MUST be more than this.

What I really crave is a good roast dinner (Turkey would be a dream come true) or even a steak pie with vegetables cooked in the pan long enough to actually get wet.

Anybody?

Will travel for food !

Hi.!

We have tryed a place-I think it is clled-La Wara dee-or something, like that.

It is near the river-a nice place-where people take kids whit them to-even it looks like a bar.

We was there, celebrating a girls birthday-11 people-ok-we bring our owen whiskey and a icecake-but 3 different kind of foof.soda-beer and everything+very good service,and good music to-2400 baht inn all.

Since then we have been there, alot of times-and it is become the place we go to now.

Brian.

• Like 1

Hi.!

We have tryed a place-I think it is clled-La Wara dee-or something, like that.

It is near the river-a nice place-where people take kids whit them to-even it looks like a bar.

We was there, celebrating a girls birthday-11 people-ok-we bring our owen whiskey and a icecake-but 3 different kind of foof.soda-beer and everything+very good service,and good music to-2400 baht inn all.

Since then we have been there, alot of times-and it is become the place we go to now.

Brian.

hI Brian

Forgot I had tried that also "leelawadee" I think it is called. had lunch there a couple of months ago and wasn't too impressed but that may have been because the flies got more of my food than I did. You are right its a nice location though, but the place itself isn't as good as it should be.

Reminds me I also ate at Le Meridian (further along the road). The menu there was upmarket and a little sparse, but we did enjoy thebraised lamb shepherds pie and an australian steak. Didn't enjoy the 2000+ bill quite so much, but I gues it was worth it all in all.

Have you tried the Lunch Buffet at the Rimkok Paul888 ?

Never has a steak pie but they do surprise sometimes with sheperds or cottage pie. Lots of vegetables too and the soups something special also when its hot. something for everyone at 140 baht me thinks.

See the pinned Google map for Tree House and Vivien House Restaurants.

Tree House Restaurant. Decent food, some dishes are really special. Had the calzone there again today. Super. Their pizza is okay, as is their seafood salad. Spinach and melted cheese is fine.

Vivien House Restaurant. I recommend their stir fried chicken with cashews. The best sauce in town for that dish. They put a lot of care and good ingredients in everything I have had there. Steaks are on the menu but I don't fall for that in Thailand any more. The restaurant is behind the coffee shop. The coffee shop in front is a good quiet place for a cup of coffee and they even have a small meeting room in the back of the coffee shop if you're bringing several friends. The place used to be B&B but now is just restaurant and coffee shop. The restaurant is a nice quiet place to enjoy a special dinner. Mostly Thais there, very few Farang know about the place, I think. They have some car parking and some motorcycle parking.

Coconut Bar on Jedyod. Supposedly has a great lamb roast on Sundays. Never had it myself but heard good things about it. Don't know if they are on the map or not.

And as jubby says, the Rimkok is decent and priced right for the buffet. They change that up quite a bit, depending on the day of the week but if you're a meat eater, that's your place.

Edited by kandahar

The Rimkok lunchtime buffet rules. Some days are better than others but you'll never be disappointed. You can't beat Barry's for burgers. If you're after a cheap (150BHT) and delicious pizza with some good company try Blue Sky which is run by Eric (French) and his wife Em. Go past Barry's Golf place and turn right at the little crossroads (with the buffalo statue) It's about 150 yrds down on the left. Its only open on Fridays and Saturdays but there's always a few bottles of whiskey flowing. I'm still looking for an Indian curry place or an Indian Roti stall. Any mexican in town? I also love the Delhi meat shop down the little soi at the Addidas shop T-junction. Good selection and there's usually an extra bun or bit of meat thrown in for regulars. The Chat House which is a backpacker place currently near Overbrook has a good selection and is run by a lovely bunch of young ladies in a nice chilled atmosphere. The only problem there is that Westlife and other rubbish music is usually playing but thankfully at a low volume!

There's a Mexican place on Jed Yod Road north of the Wang Come Hotel.

I can't recall a report on it and am not even sure if it's still open.

Don's Cafe at Doi Hang does Mexican food, the place seems to be undergoing some sort of revival but I'd still ring or email Don before I made a special trip. The details are in the sponsor's ad here.

Unfortunately I rarely eat in the city and when I do I'm usually accompanied by visitors who want to eat Thai food.

For barbecued shrimp at a reasonable price I'd recommend a nameless, but nicely set in garden surroundings, place near the Doi Hang traffic lights. At the beginning of the Old Chiang Mai Road turn towards the hospital/animal hospital instead of Doi Hang. It's the first restaurant on your left. Parking's a problem.

The Mexican place on Jedyod is no more. It was Kae's Casa and has relocated to the night bazaar food court, reduced menu and service. She still serves some good food, even though the menu is smaller. Chips, salsa and a beer on a hot evening is a good bet. The burritos are good, as is the enchilada. The chicken enchilada and burrito is better than the beef. The beef she uses is lacking a little.

Ate at Phu Lae again last week and, as usual, it was aroi mak. Many things on the menu are traditional lanna but they also have some Burmese offerings too. If you walk past CR Mall towards the Super Highway it's about 100mtrs on your right but will move to new premises next week on the Saturday walking street road (sorry, forget the name). There's another very good one offering a similar menu, it's called something like 'Salunkum' and is on the super highway close to Santit School.

There's a fairly new Japanese restaurant which is nice on the main high street with Pizza Company etc on. Going south it's on your right after the TMB bank, think it's the Asian Cafe.

If you like your burgers and passing through Bandu you can get a delicious pork or chicken cheeseburger at Companion Coffee Shop, about 50mtrs after Bandu market if travelling towards Mae Sai, it's directly opposite a 7/11. His Coffee is also very good.

I had a run up to Waa Wee (WaWi?) this year. A little restaurant in the centre of the town had great steamed sweet buns and the best noodle soup I've eaten anywhere in Asia.

Don't ask me to find it again, I'll post a photo and you'll have to print it off and show the locals. B)

IMG_0988.jpg

IMG_0986.jpg

It may be too touristy for TV people but I like going to Centerpoint resturant in the night market. I like the Thom Ka Kai (less chopped up bones and more meat), the spagetti carboera(sp?) the chef salad and some kind of fish soup made with tamerines(sp?). A decent banada spit for the price as well. Good for people watching also. Do not claim to be a gourmet.

So I tried the Rimkok resort's buffet today and have to say that for 140 baht it is incredible value.

Thanks to those who suggested it, is it the same food every day does anybody know?

There were a lot of farangs in there yesterday , and it wouldn't surprise me if some went there every day.

So I tried the Rimkok resort's buffet today and have to say that for 140 baht it is incredible value.

Thanks to those who suggested it, is it the same food every day does anybody know?

There were a lot of farangs in there yesterday , and it wouldn't surprise me if some went there every day.

I was in the Rimkok yesterday too. I usually go on Fridays , seems to be more western food on fridays but I could be wrong.

I had a panic attack as I couldn't see any potatoes or vegetables. So I filled up on several helpings of Thai Food. Mainly Fish, It was indeed Aroi Mak. Some Soup and Salad not necessarily in the right order.

I was just about to get a coffee when I spotted said potatoes and Veg on the left handside. A place normally reserved for the Vietnamese stuff.

As I had not yet surrendered my Knife & fork, It was rude not to. ;) I didn't eat anything the rest of the day :)

There were indeed a few farangs in but I didn't recognise anyone. I suspect everyone has their regular days.

Edited by jubby

It may be too touristy for TV people but I like going to Centerpoint resturant in the night market. I like the Thom Ka Kai (less chopped up bones and more meat), the spagetti carboera(sp?) the chef salad and some kind of fish soup made with tamerines(sp?). A decent banada spit for the price as well. Good for people watching also. Do not claim to be a gourmet.

Is that the restaurant under the huge Teak roof. If so I've been many times, never been disapointed

Is that the restaurant under the huge Teak roof. If so I've been many times, never been disapointed

Yes. I understand it is operated by the City of CR

• 2 weeks later...

Last night, six of us had a belated birthday dinner for my wife at Favola. Initially we had the place to ourselves but others did show up later. More Thais than Farangs, including one table of kids in school clothes.

Dusk by the river was beautiful. The sky was heavy with dramatic clouds that patiently waited until we went inside, to unleash their weighty burden. The river was high and the surface dark and glassy but still obviously moving at quite a pace. Across the river young novices were joyfully frolicking about, apparently playing football, and clothed in orange, from the waist down only. The gardens were simple and tasteful, adding to the tranquil and romantic atmosphere.

Good food, good friends, good conversation, in beautiful surroundings. Perfect for a special evening but perhaps a bit much for a casual bite to eat. The only place that I have been to in Chiang Rai that reminds one of dinning in nice restaurants in Bangkok. It was a lovely evening. :)

Edited by villagefarang

How does the Rimkok Buffet compare to the Buffet at the Wiang Inn ?

1)Choices of Food

2) Quality of Food

3) Value for money

The Wiang Inn is a better central location for us ,when we come to town

I have't tried the Wiang Inn for a couple of years and though the selection of food was better , I find the Rimkok much more relaxing.

In the Wiang Inn they gave you the impression that they want you to eat up and get out quickly, whereas with Rimkok we have stayed in the restaurant for well over 2 hours at lunch time, enough time to go back for seconds.

dindong,

That was the one quality ,I forgot ,being able to relax & enjoy a good meal & fell unhurried is a joy in itself.

What are times are the buffet at the Rimkok ?

Hi, sorry for not replying about the opening times.

I am not exactly sure, but I think it's from 11.30 Am to about 2' oclock.

As with all buffet places, better to be early as the selection dwindles very quicly.

In searching to confirm the opening times and thanks to Google transalation, I found this.

ส่วนล่างของฟอร์ม

Buffet Lunch Promotion diverse menu " Kin Sen as Classifield ด .

Coupon books per 1,400 to 12 , you can use .

From 11:00 to 14:00 am at the restaurant very comb .

1 June to 30 September 2553 .

Special Important for your

Invite interested persons to celebrate anniversaries, birthday

Buffet lunch booking 10 persons .

Get a free birthday cake pieces .

1 June - 31 July 53 .

Buy a coupon or ask for more . Sales and Relations . 053-716445-60 per 549 505 .

Edited by dindong

You need a plate in your hand when the clock strikes mid day at the Rimkok. It filled up quickly on the two occasions I have been there.

I can now add the new Phu Lae in Walking street as an enjoyable meal. Had a very tasty tender steak there last weekend. Hadn't tried the first one.

I also didn't know Wiang inn had a lunchtime buffet, will try that next. I have eaten there in the main restaurant in the evening, and the food was not too bad although a little more expensive than most local places as I recall.

Anybody have any up to date info on Wiang Inn Lunch buffet?

Barry's World Class Hamburgers new facility is now open. Still training staff but I got the usual great (for LOS) hamburger. Maybe new is they have an open air Pizza oven. Tried a sample and it was quite flavorable. Facilities a major improvement. Split section with TV's on each side. Need to try the Philly cheese steak sandwich next. It has been a while.

How does the Rimkok Buffet compare to the Buffet at the Wiang Inn ?

1)Choices of Food

2) Quality of Food

3) Value for money

The Wiang Inn is a better central location for us ,when we come to town

I have eaten the buffet at the Wiang Inn for several years. I don't, now that I have discovered Rim Kok.

In my opinion;

There is a much larger choice of entrees at Rim Kok than there are at Wiang Inn.

Dish for the dish, I don't think there is a big quality difference. The exception to that is, the dessert bar at Rim Kok. They seem to offer, sometimes but not always, some dessert dishes that one would find acceptable in the west. Wiang Inn seems to offer only Thai style desserts. Thai style desserts don't use much sugar. The whole point of dessert is sugar. Some of Rim Kok offerings have the proper amount of sugar.

Value for money goes to Rim Kok, hands down.

Parking is quicker and more efficient at Wiang Inn. You have maybe a little farther to walk at Rim Kok unless they have a group meeting. In that case, you might have to walk quite a bit farther. If you don't mind stretching your legs a bit, Rim Kok is the place. And after your lunch, the grounds are much nicer for a short walk around Rim Kok gardens and along the river. There are several places to sit in the shade in their garden area.

They offer some kind of specials where you buy a ticket and get the 11th or 12 meal free or something along those lines. As soon as you get downstairs to the greeters desk, ask if they have any promotions. Some of the promotions also involve use of the swimming pool. The promotions seem to change from month to month.

Service at both places is about equal. As you finish one plate, staff whisk it away and make room for the next one.

If you are a meat eater, again, Rim Kok wins. They usually have a pretty large selection of meat dishes on the buffet. Wiang Inn usually has the the same meat items and the offerings are few. Wiang Inn is also very slow to restock the buffet as things disappear, if they restock it at all.

Edited by kandahar

A couple of tips for the Rimkok. Get there for 11am. you'll have the place to yourself (maybe 5 people) until midday, when the hordes arrive.

If the parking looks busy, Its usually some sort of conference. Its usually possible to find a space in the top righthand corner under a shade cloth. but you may have to ignore the parking attendant and drive up and have a look ;-)

Has anybody had a good experience with the English breakfast at Ayes? I tried it today and left very disappointed.

At 250 baht I expected a lot better and wondered if maybe I just picked a bad day to try it.

Also any other recommendations for an English breakfast ?

Has anybody had a good experience with the English breakfast at Ayes? I tried it today and left very disappointed.

At 250 baht I expected a lot better and wondered if maybe I just picked a bad day to try it.

Also any other recommendations for an English breakfast ?

Never heard of, or been to, Ayes. Have heard of English breakfast but don't what it is or where to find it. Good luck.

I'm still looking for a true "American" breakfast in this town. Impossible at a cafe, I think, and just as impossible at home because American sausage can't be found here by me. Maybe one day I'll find some good pork, sage sausage here.