Nong Nooch Gardens

snoophound

After spending a few days trying to convince friends to have a look we went to Nong Nooch about 3 pm yday.

I had a wonderful day their two years ago ....a truly awesome garden.

Well.....

As we entered there were at least 20 buses.....that should have been the turnaround point.

However we had gotten the 8 of us there and out of the bars and shops,and went in.

Must have been a thousand tourists,mainly chinese and korean in one heaving throng.

When showtime started ...well you can imagine!!!!

We found a mgr and complained and demanded money back after several mgrs and half an hour later we got 80% back .....well it was the principal.

We paid for the show and were practically trampled then view blocked by the madding hordes from the buses.

They need to take a lesson from Fantasea.

Incredible organisation to get 3-5k people a session a year or two back.

Dont go to Nong Nooch without checking for tourbuses.

But do go,its prob one of the better attractionns in Pattaya

I first went to Nong Nooch about seven years ago and it was incredible. Last year we went again, and it had grown three or four times since my last visit. Now it is huge ( and it wasn't small before) There's too much to walk around and see evrything in one day now. And they're adding new bits all the time.

I last went in May this year. usually go once a year, and agree its getting very busy. My advice would be to go early in the day (the 10.30a show is a good early one). Its still pretty busy but if you go during mid-week nowhere near the sort of crowds you are talking about. Plenty of seats for the cultural and elephant show at the time I went. I also find its better to make your own way there as the tours dont give you a lot of time to wander around the beautiful gardens.

It is truly magnificent.

I go there maybe twice a year with visiting friends, and it is constantly growing and evolving.

Some tips if you go:

1. Present your Thai driving licence at the ticket booth (if you have one)... you will pay Thai price for your entry ticket.

2. Take an umbrella for everyone... Nong Nuch is huge... and to appreciate it best you will be walking around a lot. An umbrella will keep you cooler, even on a cloudy day.

3. Carry a bottle of water with you and drink a lot of water... there is a lot of climbing to be done and combined with the heat and humidity, you will dehydrate.

4. Check out the show times early... the cultural show is always on before the elephant show. Get to the pavilion 20 minutes early, and choose a seat on the right hand side next to the stage. That way you will have a good view of the show (although not straight in front of the stage), and your will be one of the first to exit the show on completion, and will have first choice of the seats available at the elephant show.

5. When entering the elephant show, check for the shadows and the position of the sun... it is better to sit in the shade and easier to take photographs, so choose your seats wisely and you will be much more comfortable. As there is no show on after this one, it does not matter much where you sit... just wait patiently for the exit stampede to subside when the show's over and take your time.

Enjoy.

:o

It is truly magnificent.

I go there maybe twice a year with visiting friends, and it is constantly growing and evolving.

Some tips if you go:

1. Present your Thai driving licence at the ticket booth (if you have one)... you will pay Thai price for your entry ticket.

2. Take an umbrella for everyone... Nong Nuch is huge... and to appreciate it best you will be walking around a lot. An umbrella will keep you cooler, even on a cloudy day.

3. Carry a bottle of water with you and drink a lot of water... there is a lot of climbing to be done and combined with the heat and humidity, you will dehydrate.

4. Check out the show times early... the cultural show is always on before the elephant show.  Get to the pavilion 20 minutes early, and choose a seat on the right hand side next to the stage. That way you will have a good view of the show (although not straight in front of the stage), and your will be one of the first to exit the show on completion, and will have first choice of the seats available at the elephant show. 

5. When entering the elephant show, check for the shadows and the position of the sun... it is better to sit in the shade and easier to take photographs, so choose your seats wisely and you will be much more comfortable.  As there is no show on after this one, it does not matter much where you sit... just wait patiently for the exit stampede to subside when the show's over and take your time.

Enjoy.

:D

Yeah it's great. We go there quite often when me or wife's family in town as we only live 10 minutes away. First time went there by taxi and was charged farang price. Next time went in my own car and they didn't even ask for licence to pay thai price. Thought perhaps they've done away with farang prices.

Useful to do open bus tour and if you pay the guy few baht will hang around wherever you want to stop and go for a walk. :o

My last trip to Nong Nooch was in August '04.

The week previous, I had treated a large portion of the "clan" from my apartment building to a trip to Khao Keow zoo (7 adults and 6 ankle-biters).

The next week, we went to Nong Nooch (7 adults and 5 screaming-squirmers). The prices were much higher, there were larger crowds everywhere (probably 2 dozen of those huge tour busses alone).

The Thai's I was with were not impressed (OK, the rug-rats were happy, but the adults were not). Even though I was paying for the whole affair (my treat, my choice), my friends were getting upset because everytime we went to pay for something, as soon as the ticket sellers saw me, they charged "farang" price for the whole group !

I expected to get charged more, but none of us expected that the Thais would be charged the same rate as if they were all farangs too.

That trip ended up costing 3 times as much as the trip to Khao Keow, and we had 2 fewer people.

It will be a very long time before I ever go back there again, or recommend it to anyone else.

Yes a typical Thai experience where greed sets in and no care about the customer.

The old mothers dream and vision of the wonderful garden ,is hijacked by big business.

The cashflow in that place must be massive.

The week previous, I had treated a large portion of the "clan" from my apartment building to a trip to Khao Keow zoo (7 adults and 6 ankle-biters).

The next week, we went to Nong Nooch (7 adults and 5 screaming-squirmers). The prices were much higher, there were larger crowds everywhere (probably 2 dozen of those huge tour busses alone).

The Thai's I was with were not impressed (OK, the rug-rats were happy, but the adults were not). Even though I was paying for the whole affair (my treat, my choice), my friends were getting upset because everytime we went to pay for something, as soon as the ticket sellers saw me, they charged "farang" price for the whole group !

I expected to get charged more, but none of us expected that the Thais would be charged the same rate as if they were all farangs too.

That trip ended up costing 3 times as much as the trip to Khao Keow, and we had 2 fewer people.

It will be a very long time before I ever go back there again, or recommend it to anyone else.

Udon:  I think you mean this link.

http://toptropicals.com/html/toptropicals/...thailand/nn.htm

Jai Dee:

Don't think they do dual pricing there..do they ??  :o

I went with a Thai and two other "farungs"

we all paid the same entrance fee. 100baht each.

Nope, I figured the reader might like to see pics of the rest of the Thai tour.

To Kerry & Snoopy, thanks for the heads-up on pricing, I'll take it up with the Thai owner on my return.

If he wants farang customers he may not want bad PR on Thai related forums. :D

I didnt relate the rest of the story

One of the guys I was with is the Managing ED of a travel publication with 250k subscribers.

He was incensed.

After several requests to talk to manager we ended up at the entrance where they were to refund our money.

It then got difficult again,so my mate was given a number in BKK who was the big boss.

He was suitably amazed that we had this problem and apologised.

He asked to speak to the person we were dealing/arguing with with who looked

very taken aback when my mate said here big boss want to talk to you....he goes no no not talk.

My mate said to big boss in BKK your person here doesnt want to talk to you.

He was again suitably amazed and apologetic.

I think its down to fear of being held responsible ....standard thai

Anyway as i said nothing wrong with making money ,but they need quality management,like fantasea.

Udon:  I think you mean this link.

http://toptropicals.com/html/toptropicals/...thailand/nn.htm

Jai Dee:

Don't think they do dual pricing there..do they ??  :o

I went with a Thai and two other "farungs"

we all paid the same entrance fee. 100baht each.

Nope, I figured the reader might like to see pics of the rest of the Thai tour.

To Kerry & Snoopy, thanks for the heads-up on pricing, I'll take it up with the Thai owner on my return.

If he wants farang customers he may not want bad PR on Thai related forums. :D

• 3 weeks later...

Kerryd,

I know I'm very late coming in on this topic, but your post has got me worried!! :o

After taking a party of 7 adults and 6 brats to Khao Keow Zoo, you took 7 adult and only 5 kids to Nong Nooch......

What happened to the missing infant?? Is there a tiger with a smile on its face perhaps? :D