Does Thailand Have Any Mifi Devices Available?

tominbkk

Yeah, CAT is selling them for use with the CAT CDMA service.

I have one. Apart from some usability issues, it works fine. The usability issue is that there is no battery indicator, it's hard to tell when it's recharging, and it recharges very slowly when connected to the laptop USB (but fast when connected with its own power adapter USB cable). Also it only works in modem mode when connected to the laptop.

Anyway, just minor quibbles, overall it's awesome.

I have one. Apart from some usability issues, it works fine. The usability issue is that there is no battery indicator, it's hard to tell when it's recharging, and it recharges very slowly when connected to the laptop USB (but fast when connected with its own power adapter USB cable). Also it only works in modem mode when connected to the laptop.

So, to a total layman, what does it do which is different to say the basic router which I have already which gives me wi-fi in my condo from a telephone connection to True?

Can you also please advise on another subject, getting the wireless signals, for printing, from three notebook computers, to a central printer. This is in a two level fairly large house.

My concern is that at least one of the notebooks will be located too far away from where we want to place the central printer. So can I install something at a strategic location between the notebook computers and the printer, which will pick up the notebook signals and rebroadcast them?

Any advice greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I was looking at using this with my wifi iPad, as it woudln't need to be connected to the device. Now I'm not quite sure if this is the right solution? This is just for when I am out of town and want to do some Internets. Also, does CAT do pre-paid packages that might go along with the mifi?

Thanks for your help

I'm not sure exactly what the difference is between Mifi and what I have now CDMA EVDO rev A.

Is the service any better?

to the question as to how it differs from a true/router combo, it is a router that connects wirelessly to the cat signal.

CAT service is not available in bangkok. this is a very good solution if you cannot get dsl and are near enough a CAT tower.

i do not think they do prepaid mine come with unlimited usage for 790 baht a month. it allows 5 wireless connections.

I was looking at using this with my wifi iPad, as it woudln't need to be connected to the device. Now I'm not quite sure if this is the right solution? This is just for when I am out of town and want to do some Internets. Also, does CAT do pre-paid packages that might go along with the mifi?

Thanks for your help

Yes that's exactly what I use it for most of the time - WiFi on the iPad. Works great. The MiFi battery lasts about 4 hours, give or take, so you might want to carry the (included) power adapter with you. It's light and folds.

I don't think they do pre-paid. I also have the post paid unlimited for 790/month. The device is something like 8k baht at CAT.

It doesn't use your phone line - the MiFi takes the CAT CDMA (3G) signal and makes it available as a WiFi network locally. So it creates a little WiFi network wherever you are. You can connect up to 5 devices to it. There's a review in the New York times, google for it.

It doesn't work in Bangkok and vicinity. Contractual reasons as these areas are served by Hutch. CAT has promised to fix this, and has bought out Hutch already. But this being a Thai state run company, nobody knows how long it will take for them to sort it out. It could be a while. CAT's CDMA service is great but this company operates a bit like a communist government ... very slowly.

Some creative visa-run companies have put these in the cars and are offering "free wifi in the bus". Knowing how horrible DTAC EDGE is I presume the connectivity is so-so, particularly in a moving vehicle, but it's a good idea nevertheless.

<br />A Huawei mifi device is available in Pantip Plaza on the first floor (near the restaurant) from Total Aircard and yes you can put your sim into it. You can also check out the total aircard web site.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Thanks abcd....that sounds more what I am looking for...I would rather be able to control the mifi sim card myself, and not be tied down to a subscription. I would assume that an edge or 3G sim would work in the Huawei?

• 2 months later...

Many of the better Nokia smartphones support Wifi tethering. The coming Android generation (2.2) may also support it, depending on your phone.

That is the way to go: get a Nokia 3G phone with Wifi, use it as a hot spot, and connect your iPad, Itouch and other devices over Wifi.

The cheapest compatible Nokia (5800) starts around 9000 Baht.

Many of the better Nokia smartphones support Wifi tethering. The coming Android generation (2.2) may also support it, depending on your phone.

That is the way to go: get a Nokia 3G phone with Wifi, use it as a hot spot, and connect your iPad, Itouch and other devices over Wifi.

The cheapest compatible Nokia (5800) starts around 9000 Baht.

I would prefer to buy a pocket wifi device to use with my ipad , iI have heard that Ais sell one , does anyone know where the Ais shop is in pattaya ?

Edited by saintofsilence

• 2 weeks later...