Domestic Coffee Machine

How can I get a domestic coffee machine, for two people? I live in Buriram, where there's nothing, and go irregularly to Chiangmai (never to Bangkok!). Eighteen months ago I bought a Fagor machine in Chiangmai; it worked splendidly for a year or so, then got slower and slower, until the coffee it produced tasted stewed. Presumably something is blocked inside, but I can't open it up, and don't know what might clear the blockage; I've tried several goes of boiling water, but that's all so far.

Meanwhile, it's back to my 35-year-old Melitta machine, which still works fine, but must be coming to the end of its days. Also, it requires a paper filter which I can't buy in Buriram (I can get them in Chiangmai, but this is a bit of a hassle when I only go there irregularly).

Anybody got any ideas (a) for cleaning the Fagor, or (B) for getting a new machine, preferably one which does not need paper filters?

Regarding the problems with your Fagor coffeemaker, the slowing up of your machine is most likely do to the build up of calcium inside the boiler. To decalcify you could operate the machine by adding a commercial coffee machine cleaning product which you can obtain at the BONCAFE outlet in Chiang Mai, just google for BONCAFE Chiang Mai to get the address and map, or you could also use citric acid, which is available in commercial food supply outlets. Add 2 or 3 teaspoons of this salt to your coffee water and operate the machine. Repeat procedure until you can notice improvement in performance. Rinse machine repeatedly by operating it with clean water.

Good Luck

Thanks, Baanfern and Jazzbo. I've tried the vinegar, being the easiest option, and it's going to need some persistence, I think! I'll be in Chiangmai next month, and won't fail to go to Boncafe.

BTW, I think Melitta ought to offer me a free new machine, plus a lifetime supply of filters, for the testimonial. 35 years is pretty good, even if it hasn't been in use all the time.

• 5 weeks later...