Foreign Editorials Miss The Point On The Cause Of Thailand Crisis

webfact

EDITORIAL

Foreign editorials miss the point on the cause of crisis

By The Nation

While lecturing us on democracy, they fail to realise the root of the problem is the attempt to whitewash a fugitive

BANGKOK: -- Somehow crucial details always manage to slip through foreign editorials about Thailand when it comes to why outcomes of "democratic elections" were "not respected". The latest example of the case in point featured in a Washington Post op-ed that claimed the "root cause" of Thai crisis is "the refusal of the traditional political class, the military and the royal court, which the Abhisit government represents, to accept the results" of Thailand elections.

The op-ed, crucially, failed to mention that the Samak government was opposed not because of elites' desire to hold on to power. That government came to power following an election that the military junta promised, and all was well until it started to do what many had feared it would. Street protests against the Samak administration began after it announced plans to amend the Constitution, not for the country's sake, but for someone longing to come home from exile and possible stage a spectacular political return.

After Samak came to power, Thaksin returned to Thailand. Then he fled again just before the Thai court, functioning under a pro-Thaksin government, found him guilty of violating anti-corruption laws. That was somehow distorted by Thaksin's spin doctors as political persecution. A justice system that ignored state power and issued a ruling based on the merits of the Constitution and the laws was accused of undermining democracy.

If Samak hadn't tried to help Thaksin, the government that won the election in late 2007 would have still been in power. It's not the "rejection of democratic elections" that doomed Thailand; it's the attempts to use popular mandate to whitewash one man that landed the country in the current mess. Democrat had been abused before the 2006 coup and it was still abused after the generals left the centre stage.

Someone has succeeded in planting this myth against Thailand that its "traditional political class" always rejected the people's choices and took power away from parties favoured by the poor. Truth is, it was Bangkok's middle class that staged an uprising against the military in 1992 after it had overthrown a government led by a party unpopular in Bangkok but favoured by poorer voters upcountry. After the 1992 bloodbath, governments - Democrat-led or others - crumbled under the weight of their own sins, and nobody used "popular mandate" or "landslide election" victory to counter corruption allegations. Only Thaksin did that. So much for the proclamation that he's a victim of double-standard.

So, what is the root cause of Thailand's trouble? Election results were always accepted. What was not accepted, as the Washington Post failed to point out, was attempts to abuse the outcomes. Thaksin has been convicted by the court of law, which was functioning under a "democratic" government, and that should have been it. That it was not the case is the root cause of Thailand's trouble.

The Washington Post is right in saying that repression will not solve Thailand's problem. "If Abhisit really wants reconciliation, the steps he must take are clear: End the state of emergency, release the red-shirt leaders and negotiate leading to elections, with a commitment by all sides to allow the winners to rule within the boundaries of a reformed constitution," it said.

It takes two to tango, and all the more so as far as Thailand is concerned. Even if Abhisit ends the state of emergency, calls an election and lets the winners rule within the boundaries of a reformed constitution, hell can still break loose. A major part of the bargain lies with pro-Thaksin politicians. If they consider that the "boundaries of a reformed Constitution" allow them to change the Constitution for just one man, Thailand will go straight back to Square One.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-07-18

• Like 1

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's sad is that once again another Thai source is trying to shift the focus from the real problem -- which is fully a Thai-generated problem -- to sort of blaming "foreigners". I happen to agree, at least in general, that the American and world press doesn't "get it" in regard to the real causes of the May 19 rioting and arson. But so what? The Thais are about as likely to solve the reconciliation problem, as they have been successful at solving the separatism violence and murders in the southern provinces. Why the need to always find a foreign scape goat.

What percentage of the laws that are broken in Thailand every day are broken by Thais as compared to foreigners? Yet, the newspapers seem to enjoy publicizing the arrest of any foreigner.

To the Thais I say, it's your country, it's your government, it's your social system. It's good or bad because of what YOU do, not because of something that's written in an American newspaper.

The headline states "Foreign Editorials Miss The Point On The Cause Of Thailand Crisis" Phetaroi agrees "I happen to agree, at least in general, that the American and world press doesn't "get it" in regard to the real causes of the May 19 rioting and arson." So what's your problem? There's no hint in the article of trying to blame foreigners for the problm s of Thailand, is there?

What's sad is that once again another Thai source is trying to shift the focus from the real problem -- which is fully a Thai-generated problem -- to sort of blaming "foreigners". I happen to agree, at least in general, that the American and world press doesn't "get it" in regard to the real causes of the May 19 rioting and arson. But so what? The Thais are about as likely to solve the reconciliation problem, as they have been successful at solving the separatism violence and murders in the southern provinces. Why the need to always find a foreign scape goat.

What percentage of the laws that are broken in Thailand every day are broken by Thais as compared to foreigners? Yet, the newspapers seem to enjoy publicizing the arrest of any foreigner.

To the Thais I say, it's your country, it's your government, it's your social system. It's good or bad because of what YOU do, not because of something that's written in an American newspaper.

He's not blaming foreigners for the problems here!! He's just pointing out that the foreign editorials forget some of the facts.

If Thai newspapers don't point out to their foreign counterparts that they are missing the point; who will?

"The Thais are about as likely to solve the reconciliation problem, as they have been successful at solving the separatism violence and murders in the southern provinces." Who has found a way to solving radical Muslim violence? Perhaps they should try the US method and invade a couple of Muslim nations, say Malaysia and Indonesia seeming that's where the agitators seem to originate.

He's not blaming foreigners for the problems here!! He's just pointing out that the foreign editorials forget some of the facts.

People hear what they want to hear, and read what they want to read...nothing more and nothing less.

Take it easy man. The guys was just pointing out that foreign journalists often get it wrong on the situation in Thailand through the oversimplification of the whole situation. I have read the entire thing and didn't feel that he was blaming foreigners for the political troubles Thailand is in. I think you are just over-reacting, thinking that every one in Thailand is against you. We have better things to do, you know?

While this may be true that the foreign press don't get it. The fact is Thaksin's foot print is all over what happened in Bangkok. The question should be, does the current government have the will to track him down, and extradite him back to Thailand to face charges, or do they feel this will make a martyr of him. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

<br>While this may be true that the foreign press don't get it. The fact is Thaksin's foot print is all over what happened in Bangkok. The question should be, does the current government have the will to track him down, and extradite him back to Thailand to face charges, or do they feel this will make a martyr of him. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.<br>
<br><br>

NO what they fail to see is what the Thai government wants them to see instead of seeing and reporting on the true facts which they did, The governement has proven they can control the Thai media but THANK GOD the world media see's the real truth of the matter.

As for Mr T I see there terrorism charges really stuck and Interpol has tracked him down and extradited him ":whistling:"

I said it at the start Interpol dont get involved with trumped up political charges and I was proven right cause they ain't done S#@%T

Edited by FarangCravings

Thai news outlets should do more excellent articles like this one challenging distorted views of the situation here. The one factor Amsterdam, Thaksin and co have got working against them is the truth is much cheaper and easier to distribute than their fiction.

While this may be true that the foreign press don't get it. The fact is Thaksin's foot print is all over what happened in Bangkok. The question should be, does the current government have the will to track him down, and extradite him back to Thailand to face charges, or do they feel this will make a martyr of him. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

I don't think it's a question of having the will. I think the elected government "had the will" to end the demonstrations that led up to May 19, but what they did not have was the support of the military to end the demonstrations. Stalemate, until very, very late in the game, and I think that is what is happening with Thaksin now...stalemate among the power brokers. Who's really in charge? No one.

I realize that in my original response to the OP, I over-reached. But my central point remains that an article in an American newspaper is wholly irrelevant to solving the situation in Thailand. The issue remains the inability of the Thais to solve great national problems.

I thought that Canadian right-wing link was interesting because it exposed the pro-red press as liars. Usually the North American right leans toward TS (or so it seems), which I guess us in keeping with US installing strong-armed autocrats in the name of 'promoting stability in the region.'

This seemed to change after the 2001 administration change in the US, and the new policy is 'gunboat democracy' (my own term). Democracy depends on the votes of an informed electorate: control the informing and you control the votes. Invading Iraq as revenge for 9/11 etc. Elections in Iraq, a lot of good that did! Karzai wins in Afghanistan: surprise surprise, Cheney's stooge gets the prize. Sad s_hit.

Thai news outlets should do more excellent articles like this one challenging distorted views of the situation here. The one factor Amsterdam, Thaksin and co have got working against them is the truth is much cheaper and easier to distribute than their fiction.

And yet the western press still sees the current problems in terms of an excessively oppressed majority finally voicing themselves whether or not Thaksin. The western media and their uncomfortable, awkward truths won't go away. Get used to it. This little third world paradise will modernise sooner rather than later.

It's worth noting that actually people are correct when they say that people overseas don't really understand "Thailand problems," and it can take a good year or two living in Thailand to start to see this, but on the other hand I often find that both the Thai and expats in Thailand who say "Foreigners don't really understand" are really saying that they want foreigners to buy into a thin, narrow view of the problem and accept what the speakers sees without question. The same people saying this often leave out loud, obvious, inconvenient truths in the process.

And yet the western press still sees the current problems in terms of an excessively oppressed majority finally voicing themselves whether or not Thaksin. The western media and their uncomfortable, awkward truths won't go away. Get used to it. This little third world paradise will modernise sooner rather than later.

"an excessively oppressed majority" ?

The only way these people have been excessively oppressed is through being bribed and intimidated into voting in the Mafia-style politicians that make up much of the Phua Thai party. For the sake of my own family here I genuinely look forward to the day this "third world paradise" modernises "sooner rather than later", but that will only happen with a solid, uncorrupted and freely available educational system. I notice that wasn't high on the list of UDD demands. In fact, did it even make an appearance?

Looks like many of the diplomants of the developed world have got the UDD sussed for what (who) they really represent. It's about time international media stopped buying into the Amsterdam propaganda and started to analyse the situation a bit more closely.

I'll tell you who didn't miss the point on the cause of Thailand's crisis, and that's Voranai Vanijaka in his opinion piece in yesterdays Bangkok Post. The piece is titled "Amart and Prai" and lays out what is really wrong in Thailand. Something you seldom hear from either domestic or foreign journalists. Thaksin is but an incredibly destructive symptom of this underlying problem.

It's worth noting that actually people are correct when they say that people overseas don't really understand "Thailand problems," and it can take a good year or two living in Thailand to start to see this, but on the other hand I often find that both the Thai and expats in Thailand who say "Foreigners don't really understand" are really saying that they want foreigners to buy into a thin, narrow view of the problem and accept what the speakers sees without question. The same people saying this often leave out loud, obvious, inconvenient truths in the process.

LOL. Foreigners don't understand the problems. Very true. But most Thais don't understand the problems, either.

And, it's just as true that Thais don't understand issues in the United States...or their neighboring countries, for that matter.

I'll tell you who didn't miss the point on the cause of Thailand's crisis, and that's Voranai Vanijaka in his opinion piece in yesterdays Bangkok Post. The piece is titled "Amart and Prai" and lays out what is really wrong in Thailand. Something you seldom hear from either domestic or foreign journalists. Thaksin is but an incredibly destructive symptom of this underlying problem.

His editorials are consistently among the most insightful -- and the bravest -- published in Thailand. He's one of only two Thais I truly admire and respect.

In short, westerners (unlike Thais) are not smart enough to understand the political situation in Thailand.

That is why it is a waste of money watching paid foreign media that CNN & BBC, when local free media like NBT (under the instruction of CRES) can do the job of getting the world informed, better.

Typical "the Nation" article - blame the foreigners - we are never at fault. Then a twist and turn it into a "Thaksin" problem always pleases our readers.what a pathetic publication this paper has become. <br><br>The Washington Post is spot on with their analysis of Thai politics - it is nothing less and nothing more. Thai governments are more or less "allowed" to govern until somebody dares and tries to change the status quo.<br><br>Whenever that happens a coup is staged and the excuse is usually "corruption" - easy to do as all governments here are corrupt. <br><br>The next cycle of corruption starts first with the coup-makers pardoning themselves for all the crimes they have committed and then distributing billions to the ones who supported them. Then the game for power and money starts all over again - the military pretends to hand power to a civilian government - of course only after they make sure the money keeps flowing for "purchases" where billions are skimmed of again - the looser are the Thai people who have been watching this for decades and are helpless to do something about it .<br><br>If the Nation wants to tell us foreigners do not understand Thai politics they should think again - one can sum it up very easy - Thai politics = corruption, power play, greed and revenge. The same garbage - with few exceptions - who call themselves MP's are moving from one government to another holding a firm grip over their electorate in their home provinces with their money and influence - with one objective first to recoup all they have spend for the elections and then to steal as much money as possible from the Thai people while they are in power - this is Thai politics not more and not less. There is nothing complicated about it - the cycle repeats itself over and over again.<br><br>The Nation has long lost an objective view of things I think that it is time for TV to team up with a more objective publication. There is plenty of well researched news out there in the cyber world - then again of course in a country where censorship rules how can one ever have any objective news at all??   <br>

The headline states "Foreign Editorials Miss The Point On The Cause Of Thailand Crisis" Phetaroi agrees "I happen to agree, at least in general, that the American and world press doesn't "get it" in regard to the real causes of the May 19 rioting and arson." So what's your problem? There's no hint in the article of trying to blame foreigners for the problm s of Thailand, is there?

Agreed. This is just commenting on press not seeing the big picture,

not that the foreigners created the situation.

The foreign press recycles what it has on file about a country, and a story within that country.

Thaksin was smart because he quickly got HIS VERSION of the story out and on file earlier,

and his PR companies keep hammering at that line, so the real facts get lost under a preponderance

of old story line accepted as fact 12 time zones away, without the wherewithall and truthful contacts

to replace the old with the more accurate. A shame really, but that's how it works over there.

You can clearly see the Thaksin press release quotes repeated verbatim in the western press.

The headline states "Foreign Editorials Miss The Point On The Cause Of Thailand Crisis" Phetaroi agrees "I happen to agree, at least in general, that the American and world press doesn't "get it" in regard to the real causes of the May 19 rioting and arson." So what's your problem? There's no hint in the article of trying to blame foreigners for the problem s of Thailand, is there?

Agreed!

The Editorial tries to set the record straight, which th WP Article completely fails to address!

Which happened rather often relating to the "upheaval" of recent times in the world's leading media - and that leaves a lot to question!

Why should Thailand, it's Journalists, people concerned, just accept this rather distorted statement , by a renowned media as the WP?

In short, westerners (unlike Thais) are not smart enough to understand the political situation in Thailand.

That is why it is a waste of money watching paid foreign media that CNN & BBC, when local free media like NBT (under the instruction of CRES) can do the job of getting the world informed, better.

Wow, a good one from you for a change.

Wow, a good one from you for a change.

Those 2 Statements,still don't set the record straight what the WP so obviously missed, this in turn opens the question of "how much of their reporting is really up to scratch?" Gentlemen, if you indirectly claim to be "so smart", then please do so, in genuinely thinking smart and then make comments!

Edited by Samuian