Banned Thailand Ad Should Be Seen On Tv

webfact

BURNING ISSUE

Banned ad should be seen on TV

By Jintana Panyaarvudh

The ban of a television commercial entitled "Kor Thod Pra Thet Thai" (Apologise Thailand) from free television has caused a flood of criticism in social media and web-boards. But there was still no explanation from the television station joint censorship committee which ordered the ban.

BANGKOK: -- The advertisement was created by the "Positive Network", a new initiative by many major communication groups in Thailand. The network consists of people from advertising, public relations, media agencies, and cable and TV associations.

According to Kom Chad Luek newspaper, the committee ordered the ban because they thought the message and pictures used in the ad were too extreme and risked defamation. The paper quoted Bhanu Inkawat, one of the ad's creators and founder of the network as saying the panel told him they were concerned about the way the story was told and the order of the pictures.

"We understand the committee and are reviewing it to try to make it pass the censor," Bhanu said.

The creator tells the story by using pictures and script to depict what happened to the country and questions society. The music "Auld Lang Syne" was used in the background.

Here is a translation of the script:

"Did we do anything wrong? Did we handle anything too harshly? Did we listen to only one side of the story? Did we perform our duties? Did we really think of people? Were we corrupt? Did we take too much? Did the media make people better informed? Did our society deteriorate? Did we love money more than the rightness? And did we only wait for help? If there was anyone to blame, it would be all of us. Apologise Thailand. And if there was anyone who can fix the problems, it would be all Thais. Keep the loss in mind and turn it into our force."

The script is straightforward, though a bit satirical. Good and stunning pictures chosen to depict the story - though some may have been too harsh and sarcastic. The pictures showed the burning of the Central World building and soldiers pointing guns at protesters - as it really happened.

Feeling of hope

When I first watched the advertisement on Youtube I really felt sad and depressed for what I saw in the video. But the message "Keep the loss in mind and turn it into our force" at the end made me feel stronger and hopeful - though the pictures depicted in the last message were quite soft and normal. They wanted to tell people that despite the darkness, there is always some light.

I thought the strong signal in the advertisement was that the loss to the country was caused by us all, and we have to take responsibility at any cost. The creator didn't point blame at anyone or any group, but tried to remind Thais of the loss and warned people they should not let it happen again.

This advertisement is one of the best - and Thais should not miss it. It has come at the right time and the right place, when people feel helpless about what has happened over the last few years. Thais should watch it and think creatively about what we should do next to help restore the country - instead of watching it to find wrongdoers.

The censorship committee should review the ban sooner rather than later. Even the Centre for Resolution of the Emergency Situation (CRES) put the advertisement on its website. Stopping this being shown on free television means nothing as nowadays people can watch it via the Internet and social media.

Are we too sensitive - or do we lack courage to hear and see the truth?

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-07-19

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw the review advertisement whatever one may wish to call it on youtube. My personal feelings were initially somewhat sceptical, it struck me a propaganda offering of the type seen on television in the somewhat more repressive regimes that abound in this world of ours.

However upon viewing the clip a second time around my views changed, the clip acknowledged all points involved in the unrest and yes hard hitting maybe, but indeed thought provoking in a positive manner.

This offering should be aired on television as it does go a long way to explaining the matter and it starts the healing process which can only be described as a positive move.

I hope to see the piece shown on public television in the near future.

Sometimes the truth hurts,however there can be no healing without some soul searching and pain to all parties as may have been involved in the matters.

A small step forward starts any journey, let's get walking down the road of sanity and reconciliation for all our sakes and more importantly our children's sakes.

The future belongs to the young of today, we have to give them hope.

Edited by siampolee
  • Like 1

Warning

The ad is banned in Thailand. Posts with a link to a source which shows the ad will be deleted.

A posting rights suspension is also in store.

In the news this morning, the minister responsible for this sort of things just came out to say that he did not order the censoring of this ad nor was he aware that it is censored. Self-censorship is suspect. Therefore, it is not officially banned in any sense. The Censoring Board has been dissolved many years ago, and that the present Constitution does not permit across the board censoring as in the old days. It is up the discretion of the individual broadcaster, considering his own legal ramifications. So it is not correct to say that 'The ad is banned in Thailand.' The correct way to say is, "ThaiVisa banned it", but my question to you is, "Have you seen it before banning it?"

The article states

"This advertisement is one of the best - and Thais should not miss it. It has come at the right time and the right place, when people feel helpless about what has happened over the last few years. Thais should watch it and think creatively about what we should do next to help restore the country - instead of watching it to find wrongdoers."

Three should's that is asking a lot. Sounds to me like it was complicated siampolee had to watch it twice. Two and a half minutes people with there minds already made up will just view something that long as proof of there beliefes or as lies. What they need is something short and honest.

Lets face it we know the red shirts were armed and shot soldier's dead why does it only show soldiers shooting. I personally feel that is just another form of lying. Casting the whole thing into doubt.

Which ever side you are on, you pay your money for PR and that is what you get. The scenario in which the presentation or non presentation is made, along with the media hype, is what is being paid for.

I saw the clip in Youtube, and I agree 100% that it should be banned.

Unless it remove the scenes:

1. The PAD airport protest

2. The soldiers shooting innocent people.

Because it might led Thai people to believe that it really happened.

Then it is OK to air.

I saw the clip in Youtube, and I agree 100% that it should be banned.

Unless it remove the scenes:

1. The PAD airport protest

2. The soldiers shooting innocent people.

Because it might led Thai people to believe that it really happened.

Then it is OK to air.

Nice one, love the irony !!!!

It seems like a well done advertisement to me. The pictures seem to match the words. All sides are represented fairly. And the message was one of hope. All in all a pretty good advertisement or public service message in my opinion.

Edited by way2muchcoffee

So it banned, but it is perfectly legal for a nationwide newspaper to debate it's content.

Doesn't it just show how cookie the idea of government implemented censorship is in a digital world.

And then best of all, it is banned because it could cause defamation? It presumably shows videos of people doing things, which are presumably true, but of course defamation in Thailand is a strange concept, because even if the things you report are TRUE you can still defame someone!

I clicked on "Kor Thod Pra Thet Thai" in Youtube and nothing came up.

Ditto for 'Apologise Thailand'

I guess the razor gang have a long reach! :whistling:

The video is there and not blocked, there are a bunch of versions of it actually. You have to search in Thai instead of the poorly transliterated English. Shocking but they write in Thai when they post their videos.

So it banned, but it is perfectly legal for a nationwide newspaper to debate it's content.

Not being allowed to be broadcast on national tv does not mean it's illegal or can't be seen elsewhere

I have just seen it, I am back in Australia now and I see it as very moving and fitting,I was livin in Pratunam at the time of the "occupation" think was "asia times" I saw it

We could all use a hint about where to find a clue as to what it is called.

Then whoever looks at it is on their own

Otherwise this discussion is pointless

The creator of the clip did an excellent job.

TH

Thanks

They should run this ad hourly till it makes them want to puke

Just saw the video on youtube and it even includes a scene from, what looks like, a television drama of a chick slapping another chick. The subtitle said: "Have we edified the public?"

ed·i·fy

(d-f)

tr.v. ed·i·fied, ed·i·fy·ing, ed·i·fies

To instruct especially so as to encourage intellectual, moral, or spiritual improvement.

The answer to that question is a resounding.... No!

This video hit youtube on 17 June 2010 and has about 260k views.

TheWalkingMan

Funny how another thread on the first page is about "Foreign editorials" missing the point.

We are sitting in a country where the media is furiously self censoring themselves about all sorts of things which the rest of the world finds all rather precious, and yet the powers that be beg their own people and rest of the world to understand their version of the truth as THEY want it to be shown.

One of the major issues today is that the "cat is out of the bag" about the way this country runs, and yet they think that removing a TV advert is somehow going to contribute to glueing this society back together? There are a myriad of subjects that need more exposure and discussion in this country, and yet, apologising and self reflection (hardly a strong point for Asian society) is now being frowned upon. Oh the irony.

I can think why? Maybe it might make people realise that this whole mess is ENTIRELY of their own making and that the system is completely falling down. I can see why some might be worried, maybe the poor will point the finger at the entire governmental system above them to apportion the blame.

I mean look at the reality of what we see today. The law cannot control or stop ANYTHING, it is ignored more than respected. The police cannot control or stop ANYTHING, they are ignored more than respected. The last one is if the courts can control or stop ANYTHING?

Thaksin got let go on bail. Shameful expediency.

What is really going to happen to the Red Leaders and the PAD? More shameful expediency?

If the system does not perform it's job, then why have a system if it can be largely ignored and doesn't do anything to even try to gain the respect of the people.

Next step is utter lawless chaos. Watching foreigners being paraded around on TV before they have even been formally charged with a good whiff of set up and payoff in the background shows the way things are going in my opinion. The police are simply picking on the weakest prey.

I think the most worrying thing for the upper echelons in Thailand might really be, if the poor realise that Thaksin is a wannabe tyrant, so they ditch him, and simply continue to protest under their own steam.

Removing a TV advert isn't going to help one jot, but it might help some pooyai busybody to feel they did something to help the country today. :lol:

It is banned because it show a gun shooting people.

It has nothing to do with who is shooting who.

The law just say violence (like a gun shooting at people) must not be show before 11pm at night.

Just like you don't see beer ads before that time.

I think such rules also apply to most countries, even in the west.

So nothing wrong with this ban. So I support this ban.

It should now be obvious that you can discuss the advert, which as has been mentioned above can easily be found on the internet. However as we are not entirely sure about the legal status of the ban we don't allow direct linking to the video.

I can't imagine why for one second anyone would feel the need to ban that.

Whether or not anyone feels moved by it, I really can't see why anything in it should be an issue.

And it asks a lot of questions that society should be asking of itself. Now that is something new.

Whether or not anyone feels moved by it, I really can't see why anything in it should be an issue.

And it asks a lot of questions that society should be asking of itself. Now that is something new.

It is the violence contents within. Not allowed before the children goes to bed.

Can you truly said, cross your heart, that there is no violence content?

It is the violence contents within. Not allowed before the children goes to bed.

Can you truly said, cross your heart, that there is no violence content?

I am so glad to see Thai TV exercising the law about no violence before bedtime. I will remember that when Freddie Kruger is on HBO at 5pm, just when the kids are coming home from school.

The kids are probably watching the soap operas right now anyway. If they aren't doing that, they are probably playing Grand Theft Auto on the playstation, and body count so far is in the 1000's.

The OP has never stated that they have tried to ban it because of violence.

According to Kom Chad Luek newspaper, the committee ordered the ban because they thought the message and pictures used in the ad were too extreme and risked defamation.

I will remember that when the evening news has shots of a person shot through the head with a police finger showing the hole.

Of course, they could take the Thai censorship way out, and blot out all the guns and the sticks, that way no one would have to be effected by violence. Fortunately they didn't show someone smoking or a girl around a pole, coz the editors might not have had too much material to show Thailand in it's new improved modern censorship mode. If they edit it and show it often enough to the people, they will believe that the army was really using tickling sticks, the black shirts were all using BB guns and the Reds were having a love in.

I would believe it better if the ministry had said something like "We don't want the people to "Thing too mut"". You exemplify the wonders of selective government control beautifully.

You should write for Notthenation.com

Edited by Thai at Heart

I think it needs to be expunged from the airwaves but I'm waiting for 'page 2' to occur on this thread before I give my reasons.

I think it needs to be expunged from the airwaves but I'm waiting for 'page 2' to occur on this thread before I give my reasons.

Feel free. There isn't a time limit.

And I forgot mention, I won't be offended and will allow you to express your opinion (but only if you agree with me).

Edited by Thai at Heart