Banned Thailand Ad Should Be Seen On Tv

webfact

Its good to hear the government don't support this single incident of censorship.

Let's hope the typically over zealous censors reconsider this stupid decision.

over censorship and self censorship is often the result from the climate of fear that those in power create. the fear of harsh penalties and punishment for the 'wrong' content. and the real censorship exist, no question.

its time for a :facepalm: and a further look what is really wrong here and not the time for a 'thank you' (definitely not the time for it before we hear a apology first; instead of denies and further attempts to censor the opinions on censorship)

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why was it banned in the first place? It could almost be a PR add for the government but it obviously isn't as it got banned first.

There is only one small clip of soldier with a gun the rest are shots of burning building and people cleaning up BKK

So basically what the video says is no body is to blame but Thai people as a "Whole" and we should try to forget about it and not let it happen again.

Here is another video to promote reconciliation. The massage if you don't keep quite you will be arrested!

Why was it banned in the first place? It could almost be a PR add for the government but it obviously isn't as it got banned first.

There is only one small clip of soldier with a gun the rest are shots of burning building and people cleaning up BKK

So basically what the video says is no body is to blame but Thai people as a "Whole" and we should try to forget about it and not let it happen again.

Here is another video to promote reconciliation. The massage if you don't keep quite you will be arrested!

I think this click will be more popular that the "Sorry Thailand" one.

This guy just did not respect the law.

No one must shout under the SOE (unless you are the police, then OK).

I hope he go to jail for life, for shouting in public.

I thought the video was quite moving and didn't paint any particular color of shirt wearing thais in any more negative of light than, err :blink: the other color of shirt wearing thais. :unsure:

FWIW: 'rdockum' posted the video on You Tube with engrish subtitles for the people who can't understand thai. Unless I am mistaken (which I frequently am :D ) I believe he's Rikker; one of the Modz from the T/V Thai Language forum.)

And another poster; 'katana' took the time to write the dialog down in thai as well :) ;

Note to Modz: If this video has been banned again, lemme know when my 'vacation' ends. .. :rolleyes:

Edited by tod-daniels

Perhaps some of your confusion would be lessened by reading the articles and realizing that it wasn't the government that banned it.

By civilians. Possibly wearing red.

They are plain clothes cops.

Just curious, what is his offence, do you think ??

Absolutely.

Are you sure life is enough ?

After all, we don't know what he's thinking..........

Deportation is too good.......

Didn´t he respect the law?

Law? Law? what law?

Did the yellow t-shirts respect the law???

You know what mousolini, sorry i mean Rucharee ?He didn´t go to jail. Shortly after he was arrested, he was brought to the police station, apparently the police didn't want to make a further scene so he was merely charged for public nuisance (for making too loud noise) with 100 baht fine, and then let go.

According to http://asiapacific.a...ion-thai-style/

By civilians. Possibly wearing red.

They are plain clothes cops.

Just curious, what is his offence, do you think ??

Of course they are.

... The music "Auld Lang Syne" was used in the background.

That is not just some background music.

In Thailand this song has developed its own life and identity and is known as สามัคคีชุมนุม and at least 100 years old, written by เจ้าพระยาพระเสด็จสุเรนทราธิบดี.

would consider this song as a traditional Thai one, and lyric wise it of course somewhat a traditional and
Thai song. This is one of the songs
are taught
at the Thai school system.

Beside its use at school events, the song recently got picked up by the 'multicoloured' (means anti-red) shirts as their hymn. Clever choice, you would hardly find a Thai who would disagree with the lyrics and the Thai specific meaning of the song, in short: Unity and harmony and all together.

put สามัคคีชุมนุม into the search at youtube to see some more examples and versions in a more typical usage of this song in Thailand. Its nice to see people sing and

too.

From 1788 ...well done Rabbie son..... :P

....now in Thai.....

Saw the video a couple of weeks ago..well done T.Visa :)

raise yer glasses fur a wee wan... :jap:

Should auld acquaintance be forgot,

and never brought to mind ?

Should auld acquaintance be forgot,

and auld lang syne* ?

CHORUS:

For auld lang syne, my jo,

for auld lang syne,

we’ll tak a cup o’ kindness yet,

for auld lang syne.

And surely ye’ll be your pint-stowp !

and surely I’ll be mine !

And we’ll tak a cup o’ kindness yet,

for auld lang syne.

CHORUS

We twa hae run about the braes,

and pu’d the gowans fine ;

But we’ve wander’d mony a weary foot,

sin auld lang syne.

CHORUS

We twa hae paidl’d i' the burn,

frae morning sun till dine ;

But seas between us braid hae roar’d

sin auld lang syne.

CHORUS

And there’s a hand, my trusty fiere !

and gie's a hand o’ thine !

And we’ll tak a right gude-willy waught,

for auld lang syne.

CHORUS :)

CONTROVERSIAL AD

Censors explain ban of 'Apology' commercial

The Board of Censors yesterday defended its decision to ban the "Kor Thort ... Prathet Thai" (Apologise ... Thailand) television commercial, saying it might make social rifts even deeper.

Some parts of the commercial could be the basis for legal action by a third party, while some others could be in violation of other people's rights and freedom, the committee said in a statement.

To allow the commercial on air, the panel has ordered that six scenes of the 150-second commercial, involving images deemed legally and morally improper such as the burning of buildings, soldiers pointing guns, nudity, monks being arrested and violent protests, be taken out.

"The committee's consideration of the radio and television commercials are based on the opinions and concerns of all parts of society. However, its mission is to create professional standards on the basis of creativity, social responsibility and peace of the people and the country," the statement said.

"The board, comprised of representatives from five agencies, namely Channels 3,5,7, 9 and Advertising Association of Thailand, was created in 1994 to make sure all radio and television commercials are in line with the Operation of Radio and Television Broadcasting Business Act," the statement said.

It also said that the policies and framework in terms of the committee's conduct are in line with related laws and regulations to ensure that same standards and direction are used in the consideration of commercials for free TV.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-07-21

STOPPAGE TIME

We can all say sorry, not just the other people

By Tulsathit Taptim

The Nation

Everything is grey in Thailand, and even a TV commercial that seeks to address our problems is no exception. The controversial "Thailand, we apologise" ad tries to say many things to the public, but its creators have learned a lesson or two themselves. Like journalists, commentators or analysts before them, they have found out that they couldn't simply pinpoint what's wrong in this country and expect to stay aloof.

The best consolation for the ad-makers is that "no good deed goes punished". They have created a fairly thoughtful commercial with a few nice touches that give everyone something to think about. The proposed ban was based on an argument that amused many people. The censors' claims that the advertisement was too "extreme" can be refuted by a little scrutiny.

I'm all for freedom of expression, but the "Don't ban it" bandwagon may have missed a few things. The ad attempts to speak the truth, but due to limitations it fails to convey a complete truth. And in Thailand, uttering an incomplete truth is sometimes no better than saying nothing at all, if not worse.

What surprises me is the fact that the red shirts haven't alrerady started calling for the heads of those who created the ad. For a political movement that was always capable of detecting the slightest hint of injustice before it even occurred, how did one big glaring question manage to slip from under its nose? Three seconds of footage of rifle-waving soldiers against repeated scenes of fire, smoke and Central World wreckage - that is anything but a good balance.

It did not look entirely like a government-sponsored advertisement, but if I were a red shirt, it would be as close to a state commercial as it was going to get. The military must be happy that no footage of troops firing assault rifles, or dead people, were shown, and the yellow shirts should also be content with minimum exposure in the ad. No need to say who has been most negatively affected by the commercial.

The theme - that everyone is to blame - is good, though. Despite the disparities, this motherland has given more than it has taken as far as everyone should be concerned. Human flaws have threatened to tear apart the nation, and what is more proper than to say we all are sorry and will try to start anew? The ad scores big on this, but for the rest of its statement, I'm not quite sure.

Don't get me wrong. I like the ad. I really do. That, however, is the problem I'm having with it. Experience tells me that if I like a political message, it could mean that half the country may be feeling repelled by it. Last week a Channel 3 sit-com, "Pen Tor", offered what seemed to me a feel-good episode featuring life affected by curfew and shooting in city neighbourhoods. But then again, millions of others may not feel so good about it.

I'm not suggesting we ignore everything that we like, or everything that seems "spot-on" to us. All I'm saying is, we are living a very difficult political life, and whatever we see has many layers of values.

Perhaps the broadcast values of the ad should be judged after certain adjustments. Imagine if 15 seconds of footage of soldiers advancing and firing rifles were included. Imagine if photos of dead people with bullet wounds were put in. Imagine if a "People have died here" red-shirt sign had been inserted. Maybe after that, we should decide if the commercial should be aired or not.

The ad suggests everyone has been wrong, but perhaps the issue confronting us is that the chance to be right has been quite limited. In Thai politics, nobody has been able to really strike a balance or, to be fair, been allowed to strike a balance. Reconciliation panels have been taunted, and we have seen what was supposed to be a centrist movement, the multi-coloured shirts, turn into a partisan force overnight.

This doesn't mean the likes of the advert have no place in the current environment of cutthroat politics. We need everything we've got to dig ourselves out of this hole. Question is, how we can mobilise valuable resources the right way so we won't get lost in a deep tunnel. Thais can do everything the ad-makers asked in the commercial and more. Chief among them is not the inability to say "sorry", but perhaps the misguided belief that it's others who should say it.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-07-21

I saw the clip in Youtube, and I agree 100% that it should be banned.

Unless it remove the scenes:

1. The PAD airport protest

2. The soldiers shooting innocent people.

Because it might led Thai people to believe that it really happened.

Then it is OK to air.

I like your answer .

Almost spot on. I have not seen the cut version yet.

"To allow the commercial on air, the panel has ordered that six scenes of the 150-second commercial, involving images deemed legally and morally improper such as the burning of buildings, soldiers pointing guns, nudity, monks being arrested and violent protests, be taken out." - The Nation

To allow the commercial on air, the panel has ordered that six scenes of the 150-second commercial, involving images deemed legally and morally improper such as the burning of buildings, soldiers pointing guns, nudity, monks being arrested and violent protests, be taken out.
Pheu Thai and UDD, if they had the power, I think would instead want to show footage of protesters' heads being blown off.

As to whether it twangs the guilt strings, this is a very powerful tool in Thailand, since Thainess means for many an unquestionable "love" for the country, irrespective of its amazingly obvious faults.

It's actually an extremely powerful tool, used by religions & governments throughout the globe for centuries.

Give me a 'programmed' & ignorant mass of people & I could easily control them, as could you or anybody else who understands the power of 'fear'.

Sad but true. :(

I don't think it uses guilt in this video. I thought it was pretty good as it exposed some things no one can talk about. I particularly liked the rice storage scam part.

If Thais would only embrace the ideals and morals of International Nelson Mandela Day (yesterday), they'd show it at prime-time for a week!<br>

Embrace Mandela's morals? Are you serious? The man was/is and his family are as corrupt as they come. And not to smart I might add. His grandson was just charged for trying to sell the TV rights to his grandfathers story for 250,000 pounds.

I can't imagine why for one second anyone would feel the need to ban that.

Whether or not anyone feels moved by it, I really can't see why anything in it should be an issue.

And it asks a lot of questions that society should be asking of itself. Now that is something new.

It is the violence contents within. Not allowed before the children goes to bed.

Can you truly said, cross your heart, that there is no violence content?

Come on get serious. You know what's violently disgusting? Watching 5 and 6 year old kids selling flowers at major intersections in Bangkok and Chiang Mai at night! That's violently disgusting. Your worried about a child seeing a burning building on TV? Are you serious? You know what's violent? Children maimed and blinded and put on the street to beg. That's violent. Cross your heart and hope to die? You know what's violently disgusting? Seeing thousands of school children, boys and girls all beautifully dressed in there uniforms going to school 3 or 4 abreast on motorcycles or bicycles or walking with hope and expectations to a school that teaches them what? Not History. Not Geography. Not biology as far as I can tell. Not much in short. You worry about "violent content". I worry about school children getting an education of, "no content." You need to reorganize your concerns lady.

If Thais would only embrace the ideals and morals of International Nelson Mandela Day (yesterday), they'd show it at prime-time for a week!<br>

Embrace Mandela's morals? Are you serious? The man was/is and his family are as corrupt as they come. And not to smart I might add. His grandson was just charged for trying to sell the TV rights to his grandfathers story for 250,000 pounds.

Sorry for my ignorance, but is that a crime to sell TV rights?

I thought the video was quite moving and didn't paint any particular color of shirt wearing thais in any more negative of light than, err :blink: the other color of shirt wearing thais. :unsure:

FWIW: 'rdockum' posted the video on You Tube with engrish subtitles for the people who can't understand thai. Unless I am mistaken (which I frequently am :D ) I believe he's Rikker; one of the Modz from the T/V Thai Language forum.)

And another poster; 'katana' took the time to write the dialog down in thai as well :) ;

http://www.thaivisa....ost__p__3759864

Note to Modz: If this video has been banned again, lemme know when my 'vacation' ends. .. :rolleyes:

Good video.

As to whether it twangs the guilt strings, this is a very powerful tool in Thailand, since Thainess means for many an unquestionable "love" for the country, irrespective of its amazingly obvious faults.

It's actually an extremely powerful tool, used by religions & governments throughout the globe for centuries.

Give me a 'programmed' & ignorant mass of people & I could easily control them, as could you or anybody else who understands the power of 'fear'.

I don't think it uses guilt in this video. I thought it was pretty good as it exposed some things no one can talk about. I particularly liked the rice storage scam part.

Wow....that's one I did not catch. Can you explain the rice storage scam? I Googled for this, but only came up with ways to store rice...and for various scams in Thailand!

Sorry for my ignorance, but is that a crime to sell TV rights?

Without your father's knowledge and while he's still alive. Yes. It would be like me selling the rights to your life story without mentioning it to you.

Wow....that's one I did not catch. Can you explain the rice storage scam? I Googled for this, but only came up with ways to store rice...and for various scams in Thailand!

It's interesting, because when you click on the link you'll see the government has blocked it.

Rice Crisis « Thailand Crisis "Government sources said on Monday that 200 000 tonnes of rice were missing from warehouses nationwide." "missing" ? ... and over the last five or six years that is reflected in the decline in stocks and storage levels. ... The rice theft prevention alert was primarily exercised in so-called 'red-zones', ...

thaicrisis.wordpress.com/category/economy/rice-crisis/