Not Enough Disc Space

evanson

^ The default SendTo items don't include fixed drives, only removable ones. You can however, add your own shortcuts...

1. Go to Start menu >> Run

2. In the Run command, type shell:sendto

3. Press <Enter>

4. Create the desired shortcut item(s)

Not quite sure what you mean by 'senf to' only being for removable drives. This computer's 'send to does indeed only 'sends to' dvd/cd (E) drive OR a removable external hard drive (F), whereby my computer has a default D: in the 'send to' drive lacking from kid's computer??

However, there is a D/data drive on it, as when I mouse over it, it shows up being 80% full?!

1. WHY DOESN'T IT SHOW UP IN THE DROPDOWN OF THE 'SEND TO'?

2. HOW DO I 'SEND TO' FILES FROM DOCS TO IT? IN OTHER WORDS 'ACCESS IT' AS A REPOSITORY FOR DOC FILES TOO BIG FOR C: DRIVE? THUS FREEING UP SPACE ON C: DRIVE.

Thankyou

Edited by evanson

Windows does not generate SendTo shortcuts for fixed drives. You have to create them yourself (see post #25).

Here's a screenshot of mine:

sendtomenu.png

By default, SendTo does not move items, it only copies them. To override this behavior, hold the SHIFT key.

Normally the D is a partition of the main drive rather than a physical unit. And it is not a good place for backups as if the drive fails it is gone as well as the C drive. Use external drives for backups. With the speeds today see no reason to have more than a large C drive for most people and have just restored my C/D to one C drive using built in abilities in Windows 7 without any problems.

I agree with most of this advice but I would add a second physical hard drive. This give improvements in speed, data integrity, storage capacity and efficiency.

In the event of a system crash requiring reinstallation of the operating system best practice is to reset the MBR (Master Boot Record) by deleting the partion(s) then configure new partition(s) with a FULL Format. This will show if the problem originated with the physical drive and remap the drive's sectors. Better to replace the drive if in doubt as a faulty drive will only get worse.

Image software will restore the backup MBR, OS and data if that is the route prefered.

With the cost of hard drives today most are replaced with larger drives as digital storage needs expand.

Just my opinion after seeing hundreds of damaged drives.