Them And Us

GM1955

As any sensible person knows their are some real jerks living here but they are vastly outnumbered by decent people.

Yeah right.........................whistling.gif

Perhaps you would like to explain that gem of a response. Bye the way, have you enjoyed your holiday here? :D

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As any sensible person knows their are some real jerks living here but they are vastly outnumbered by decent people.

Yeah right.........................whistling.gif

Perhaps you would like to explain that gem of a response. Bye the way, have you enjoyed your holiday here? :D

Careful carmine could be he's really a member of the GOM club!! :whistling:

I guess this would depend on one's perspective and observations. Some might consider the numbers just the opposite.;)

There are definitely far too many generalisations on here. Have none of you ever encountered groups of cowardly Western teenagers in your home countries? Whilst I think the reaction of the Thai staff in that video clip was not exactly exemplary, you might want to bear in mind that he could have been the 20th drunken foreigner banging on their bar and shouting the odds that week.

Sure i have seen them, but i have seen more examples of Thais doing this. They have a mob mentality. I love it here but you have to face that this country has its downsides too.

I doubt I would ever get into a situation like that, the farang had it coming to him but not the way it went down. I am not saying all Thais are the same, that is like saying all Dutch are the same. But you can generalize certain things, but those things will certainly not apply to everyone.

Have i met good Thais .. sure plenty of them.. have i met bad Thais.. sure met a lot of those too.

Why is it always there are GOOD thais and BAD thais... there's good ARABS and bad ARABS.. good whites and bad whites.... good blacks and bad blacks....

that is life. good people and bad people.

and just because a 2-3 Thais stomp on your head for running your mouth and trying to intimidate them, don't make any of them bad. I would do the same.

your not going to ever be in a perfect country unless you move to Japan or somewhere where there is no violence.

I wish alot of you with the complaining would just move out of thailand, instead of smiling in the faces of thai people all day telling them how much you love them and the country, then hide behind some screen name and complain constantly about thailand and there rules/people/government/food/women/traffic/drivers/heat/rain/men/beer/liqour/ect....

trust me i am not a person you will find hiding behind a screen nor kissing any thais ass in person if i see something i dont like i speak out. imho this is western honesty and i see very little of it from thais.

trust me i am not a person you will find hiding behind a screen nor kissing any thais ass in person if i see something i dont like i speak out. imho this is western honesty and i see very little of it from thais.

"western honesty" : is that like Western food—buttery and battered?

Personally I prefer Eastern food, especially Chinese where the palate is informed with a myriad of subtle hints, both direct and indirect, and where appreciation is in proportion to the time, effort and attentiveness put in by the diner.

So someone really believe that people who complains here do not "dare" to expose their views to the locals but instead lie to them, are you being serious?:D how do you think many people got in troubles in the first place? whom is stepping up against whatever kind of abuse/injustice, is making a favour not just to the honest part of the populations but also to all those cowards that prefere to just shut up and getting done in as many imaginable ways a person could imagine, either because of laziness, fear, ignorance, whatever else, these people are not even gratefull and goes to the extreme to take the parts of whom is cheating them, ah ahh how hylarious! i can understand the point of view of someone which is just greedy, but this is pure stupidity IMO

There are definitely far too many generalisations on here. Have none of you ever encountered groups of cowardly Western teenagers in your home countries? Whilst I think the reaction of the Thai staff in that video clip was not exactly exemplary, you might want to bear in mind that he could have been the 20th drunken foreigner banging on their bar and shouting the odds that week.

Sure i have seen them, but i have seen more examples of Thais doing this. They have a mob mentality. I love it here but you have to face that this country has its downsides too.

I doubt I would ever get into a situation like that, the farang had it coming to him but not the way it went down. I am not saying all Thais are the same, that is like saying all Dutch are the same. But you can generalize certain things, but those things will certainly not apply to everyone.

Have i met good Thais .. sure plenty of them.. have i met bad Thais.. sure met a lot of those too.

Why is it always there are GOOD thais and BAD thais... there's good ARABS and bad ARABS.. good whites and bad whites.... good blacks and bad blacks....

and just because a 2-3 Thais stomp on your head for running your mouth and trying to intimidate them, don't make any of them bad. I would do the same.

your not going to ever be in a perfect country unless you move to Japan or somewhere where there is no violence.

I wish alot of you with the complaining would just move out of thailand, instead of smiling in the faces of thai people all day telling them how much you love them and the country, then hide behind some screen name and complain constantly about thailand and there rules/people/government/food/women/traffic/drivers/heat/rain/men/beer/liqour/ect....

Um, there we go with judging Thais agian. GFTO the country sir. I also wasn't talking about just ONE person, I don't know anyone on these forum nor follow up on them or care.

Such a dumb thing to say, lol, of course they are not like the WEST, they are from the EAST. Thais don't eat Mcdonalds, Pizza Hut everyday, they don't drive a fancy car like the Westerns, they don't watch TV 10 hours a day like Westerns.. They don't sunburn like westerns, Most don't work a cosy job in a building on the 20th floor like the Western person.

And you are saying how you would speak out huh? First of all can you even speak, understand or write Thai yet? Or is it just enough to get yourself to the toilet? Don't think your a hero for the farang forums just because your typing that the tough man talk "behind a screen name"

Have a great day :)

Um, there we go with judging Thais agian. GFTO the country sir. I also wasn't talking about just ONE person, I don't know anyone on these forum nor follow up on them or care.

Such a dumb thing to say, lol, of course they are not like the WEST, they are from the EAST. Thais don't eat Mcdonalds, Pizza Hut everyday, they don't drive a fancy car like the Westerns, they don't watch TV 10 hours a day like Westerns.. They don't sunburn like westerns, Most don't work a cosy job in a building on the 20th floor like the Western person.

And you are saying how you would speak out huh? First of all can you even speak, understand or write Thai yet? Or is it just enough to get yourself to the toilet? Don't think your a hero for the farang forums just because your typing that the tough man talk "behind a screen name"

..... However, these same Thai people are much better educated than I in many ways. This may be off the topic, but it seems that if many farang have their way, the culture of Thailand will cease to exist, and the place will just be a low-rent version of london or New York. People will get all worked up about endangered creatures like frogs and spiders and all kinds of vermin, yet think nothing about destroying an entire culture. I know people who are all excited that there will be new McDonald's and Starbucks at Meechok Plaza. I just do not comprehend this. I am not anti-farang. I love my own culture and my country. This does not mean I cannot enjoy or appreciate another people and way of life.

YES...!! ...if all the things that expats whinge about went away...it would be rather boring here...often people travel or expatriate for 'la difference"....

if it was all clinical and just like "back in good old XXX" what would be the point? Sort of like going to a south American jungle and never moving outside the Holiday Inn or something..One thing I hate about Thailand is bloody Starbucks!! That's not to say I don't miss some foods and western things... we all do I am sure...

.. many Farangs have managed to create their own environment subject to their perceived "needs" notwithstanding limits of personal finance..and I think that is the answer ...if one wishes to stay in a country that is currently not too far down the western wannabe slope.

Look at the once infinitely rich eastern culture of Japan...sad..pity they still like whale meat though.. :jap:

i cant believe i am feeding this troll but seriously what country are you living in? Thai's dont eat Mcdonalds, Pizza Hut, or drive big cars, sunburn, work in high rises on the 20th floor?

pm me if you would like me to invite you to a face to face.

^ no they dont watch t.v. about 10 hours a day, its more like 20!

i wouldnt even mind if it was reasonably watchable, but it aint! same old mind boggling <deleted> wheeled out everyday. i mean <deleted> do any of these thai soap opera makers ever study the art of cinematography before they are handed out an unlimited budget to make such crap. same old story line of constant screaming, shouting, hi-so rich families bickering, driving mercs and beamers. the scene where the so called actors talk to themselves with that stupid stare into the camera just before they try to poison the mother in law. the lady fights, the blurring out of drinking and smoking and not even a bit of tit and arse.

is it any wonder that most thais seem in a transfixed state, close to being hypnotized when watching such rubbish. or is it part of a master plan by authorities in charge to keep the citizens of this country in a mind numbing state, so as not to use their brains.

my god they even make dynasty, dallas, eastenders, coronation street, emmerdale, home and away and neighbors look good. huh.gif

Edited by tigerfish

i wouldnt even mind if it was reasonably watchable, but it aint! same old mind boggling <deleted> wheeled out everyday. i mean <deleted> do any of these thai soap opera makers ever study the art of cinematography before they are handed out an unlimited budget to make such crap. same old story line of constant screaming, shouting, hi-so rich families bickering, driving mercs and beamers. the scene where the so called actors talk to themselves with that stupid stare into the camera just before they try to poison the mother in law. the lady fights, the blurring out of drinking and smoking and not even a bit of tit and arse.

is it any wonder that most thais seem in a transfixed state, close to being hypnotized when watching such rubbish. or is it part of a master plan by authorities in charge to keep the citizens of this country in a mind numbing state, so as not to use their brains.

my god they even make dynasty, dallas, eastenders, coronation street, emmerdale, home and away and neighbors look good. huh.gif

I don't know one Thai that views TV 10-20 hours per day.....bit of an absurd statement, actually.

I don't know one Thai that views TV 10-20 hours per day.....bit of an absurd statement, actually.

On the contrary, i've never known a nation spend so much time watching tv and aside of that it's largely the biggest load of unadulterated crap you are ever lightly to see. :whistling:

On the contrary, i've never known a nation spend so much time watching tv and aside of that it's largely the biggest load of unadulterated crap you are ever lightly to see. :whistling:

People who are poor very often have no other form of entertainment than a TV. Most TV programs are mind numbing, but they take people away from their own poor surroundings the same way that drugs do for addicts. The extemely poor don't even have a TV and just try to exist as best they can. Young children always seem to find ways to have fun, but adults learn the sad reality of life with no hope in dismal surroundings.

As westerners in Thailand we've mostly had far more options and we've even found the income to come to Thailand in the first place. We look at life from an entirely different point of view.

Almost everyone understands the basics of right and wrong. It's when we see things that should be, could be but aren't, that we start to complain. Virtually every complaint I read on thaivisa has some valid points, but putting them in context is what creates the controversy. Life isn't fair, but it is what it is and we just have to live with it and adapt. That is why the common answer to westerners complaining about living in Thailand is... just go home and don't let the door hit you on your way out.

We can argue all day about the semantics, but the reality is that we have no control over what happens other than to our own personal decisions.

This is rich. I take it you don't understand a lick of Thai. And you're passing judgment on what Thai's should find entertaining? Are you suggesting that western TV shows are not mind-numbing, unwatchable crap? If that's the case, I'd like to know your IQ as everyone knows that western TV shows in general are targeted to the lowest common denominator. It's really a matter of taste, isn't it? For example, I can't believe anyone out there actually enjoys soccer, cricket, the Tour de France, car racing, Oprah, or any other "stuff" among a long list of so-called entertainment on western TV that I find horribly useless. But then, to each his own.

I can't believe anyone out there actually enjoys soccer, cricket, the Tour de France, car racing, Oprah, or any other "stuff" among a long list of so-called entertainment on western TV that I find horribly useless. But then, to each his own.

I agree. They should watch the Beverly Hillbillys, Lost in Space and Gilligan's Island like us eggheads do. :giggle:

Macoroni boy, if you in Alaska, pm me and we can box it out boy.

so let me get this straight, via your previous post, you came to thailand thought with your smaller head, hooked up with a bar girl, got burned, now feel qualified to put all expats into one basket and think we should all speak the language before we are qualified to speak out yet, you spent what 30 minutes in the country and left alaska and are defending the thais from the USA???? you really are a troll, next time you return to thailand look me up i will probably still be working on my second decade of living in propsering in lol without ever falling in love with a bar girl, nor getting burned by one or beinging fluent in the language.

I would add to my previous post that whilst the offering on tv is appalling i fully recognise that is all they have on offer to watch and have to make do.

Mindyou, i have to draw the line with the "panda channel" :whistling:

Not far off. In my place theres a TV in every room and soon as we get up it's on, go to another room, one off, one on. In the shower the TV is on in tha bedroom so it can be heard. Must add, not me, the Thai family. :)

Hmmm not sure its not you.. i suspect you love those Thai soap opera's they are so entertaining. At least my gf seems to think they are. She watches them at times when she is not working.

This is rich. I take it you don't understand a lick of Thai. And you're passing judgment on what Thai's should find entertaining? Are you suggesting that western TV shows are not mind-numbing, unwatchable crap? If that's the case, I'd like to know your IQ as everyone knows that western TV shows in general are targeted to the lowest common denominator. It's really a matter of taste, isn't it? For example, I can't believe anyone out there actually enjoys soccer, cricket, the Tour de France, car racing, Oprah, or any other "stuff" among a long list of so-called entertainment on western TV that I find horribly useless. But then, to each his own.

firstly, i do understand quite a bit of thai, seeing as i have been here on and off for almost ten years and now live here on a full time basis and interact with the people of this country both on an family level as well as working with them.

secondly, whether or not i understand thai is irrelevant, because it doesnt take a brain surgeon to work out one plot from the other in most thai soap operas.

thirdly, i agree with you about the fact that it doesnt take much of an IQ to understand the shows that are targeted towards the lowest common denominator, but that might have something to do with the fact that so much of what is shown now back on the screens in the west, is the kind of crap that was first churned out back in the good old U .S. of A. whistling.gif

and finally, its football not soccer. wink.gif

Edited by tigerfish

Just off the top of my head, I could easily say that Americans might park their collective <deleted> in front of the tube more so than any culture on earth.....followed closely by other Western groups whom seem to be long-hypnotozed by the magic of TV.

Superstar are you a troll or do you really exist? I mean no disrespect but I am completely baffled by your postings. Are you Thai or farang or eskimo? I love Thailand and Thai people. But seriously, three things I never see here are good drivers, large breasts or fair fights. And what is a "western?" Isn't it a movie about cowboys? and also I see many Thai people driving fancy cars and eating at McDonalds. They watch much more tv than I do, and of course they never get sunburned as they are wrapped up like mummies, carry umbrellas and park under a tree on motorbike waiting for light to change. And what is point of all this tough talk on an anonymous forum? In prison there is a term called "cell gangster." It is a guy who runs his mouth all the time challenging everyone to fight while he is in his cell. As soon as cell door opens, his whole attitude changes immediately, and he starts in with, "hey guys, I was just kidding."

firstly, i do understand quite a bit of thai, seeing as i have been here on and off for almost ten years and now live here on a full time basis and interact with the people of this country both on an family level as well as working with them.

secondly, whether or not i understand thai is irrelevant, because it doesnt take a brain surgeon to work out one plot from the other in most thai soap operas.

thirdly, i agree with you about the fact that it doesnt take much of an IQ to understand the shows that are targeted towards the lowest common denominator, but that might have something to do with the fact that so much of what is shown now back on the screens in the west, is the kind of crap that was first churned out back in the good old U .S. of A. whistling.gif

and finally, its football not soccer. wink.gif

I notice that a particular nationality doesn't like to call football ' football ' cos the players don't wear a crash helmet. :)

It's off topic, but the reason we call it football is because thats it's name. Just because you chaps invented a "new" sport (egg chasing) and decided to call it football does not mean that we now have to call football (that is the world game) soccer to please your good selves. ;)

I can't believe anyone out there actually enjoys soccer, cricket, the Tour de France, car racing, Oprah, or any other "stuff" among a long list of so-called entertainment on western TV that I find horribly useless. But then, to each his own.

I agree. They should watch the Beverly Hillbillys, Lost in Space and Gilligan's Island like us eggheads do. :giggle:

Hey UG, those were some of my favorite shows. Along with Star Trek, the Flintstones, Three Stooges....ah, the memories.