Pajero Sport Knee Room

rotary

Gents

Had my heart set ona Pajero Sport, have looked several times but today went to the dealer to do the deal but just thought I would sit in the drivers seat and close the door.......well to the shock of the salesman that put me off. Maybe its just me but it seems to have limited side to side hip and knee room. Sitting in my normal "relaxed"driving position my knees were up against the console and door. Tried the same in an Ford Everest and it was much better. I really like the Pajero Sport looks much better but I feel the Everest would be more confortable in the long run. Any opinions???

I had the same problem at first feeling that there wasn't enough space. My previous vehicle was an E Class Mercedes so I was maybe a bit spoilt.

After a couple of long drives I got used to the space and didn't give it a second thought. Go for it, I'm well happy with Pajero now. The Everest is for boring old farts :lol: :lol:

I have to admit it took me a while to "get" what the problem was here. :huh:

Perhaps a low-carb diet and some cardio would broaden your vehicle choices? ;)

No offence intended :jap:

Edit: Just read another post of yours where it appears you've driven > 600,000km over the course if two different Ford Ranger's, so I guess there's a familiarity aspect you'd need to overcome if switching to any other brand..

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

Hmmm that 600,000 is about the right total Ranger kms since about year 2000 so thats only 60,000 kms per year. Most of these kms are üp country.

I also had a Ford Ranger that I rented out for 192,000 kms with no problems. Thats a different vehicle than the the other 2. ha ha

I have been in Thailand since late 80s and have had several pick ups of all makes plus worked at firms that had many pick ups that I was involved with. Its not much of a space issue on the Sport I guess but without putting a measure tape on it it appears the Mitsu console is a bit wider than the Fords and maybe a bit higher then maybe the door handle design goes a but forward more than the Fords. I agree 100% the Sport is a much better looking vehicle and newer design. I am a big boy...lol but most of the extra space requirements is due to the fact I like to drive with my legs spread out. I guess I should try to rent a Pajero Sport for a few days and try. I really like the Sport. The Ford dealer near the house has great service so thats in the thinking process also.

Actually, I quite like the looks of the new Everest. It's very similar to a Land Rover Discovery.

Really? How?????

OK, maybe not exactly the same - the grill especially, but they are similar enough that when I see an Everest I think of a Discovery...

Regardless, I like the new look of the Everest.

everestvsdiscovery.jpg

Ah looks!

because one is a proper 4WD off-road vehicle and the other is a pickup truck with a station-wagon body on it.

you may have a pioint that Ford have clearly styled the vehicle to suggest it might be capable of things it clearly isn't. although I notice the latest model mimics a lot of Fortuner signifiers.

Ah looks!

because one is a proper 4WD off-road vehicle and the other is a pickup truck with a station-wagon body on it.

you may have a pioint that Ford have clearly styled the vehicle to suggest it might be capable of things it clearly isn't. although I notice the latest model mimics a lot of Fortuner signifiers.

The ford and the MU7 both pick up's if you want a car that drive's like a tractor buy a tractor. Great off road. Just look in the rice paddy's.

Well in the end we bought the Ford Everest for the following reasons:

(1)Very good past record of being reliable in the engine/drive line dept on the Fords I have owned in Thailand. Parts cost is lower than most if they are needed.

(2)Dealer is fairly close and has had good service for my other Fords in past

(3)Gave us a pretty good trade in on a rental pick up I had

(4)Better hip room/ knee room side to side than the Mitsu Sport. I felt cramped in the Sport side to side at the knee area but the Ford was better

(5)What appears to be a more useful luggage area than the others in class. Just a opinion made from looking at others in class, not measured.

(6)Has the Navi function included for the price and has a dash display plus rear monitor for the kids. Also reverse camera included in price.

(7)5 speed auto where the Mitsui has a 4 speed auto

Cons were no cruise and not the best looking in class. In fact the looks is OK with me except for that rear end but when you put that slope or taper on that rear as some SUVs have it really hurts luggage space in the real world. In the middle east I have a Ford Escape the wife drives, old model like a box. I have the Ford Edge with that slope on the rear. That Escape holds more luggage better than that Edge ever thought about.

I think all in all its hard to buy a "bad" vehicle. I am not going racing nor am I trying to win a car show. What I need is something that has lots of luggage space, keeps that kid quiet with a VDO screen, and allows me to spread my knees while driving in the funny way I feel is comfortable. LOL

In my opinion the MU-7 Isuzu is worse looking than the Everest but as with women different people have different taste.

Thanks guys.......Drove from Prakchong to Nontaburi and back to Korat. At 100 to 120 kms per hr with most driving at about 110 kms per hr it did 12 kms per lt. Now thats new not broken in so it should improve a tad with time and with synthetic oil which I use as normal. The Everest transmission is auto 5 speed and at 100 kms per hr the engine only turns about 1900 RPM. The 2.5 lt engine makes max torque at 1800 RPM so looks like they engineered the vehicle for +/-100 kms cruise speed. I must admit the seats are very comfortable, right up there with a Ford Edge seat which is one of the better auto seats I have ever been in. Not so sure about the NAV system but the kid loved the back seat monitor.

Forgot to add that my 2003 Ford 4 x 4 pick up with 5 speed manual and 2.5 engine turbo turns about 2700 rpm at 100 kms per hr. The pick up will get +/- 11kms per lt so the Everest being a much heavier and larger vehicle at +/-12 kms per lt seems pretty good to me.