New Restrictions On Non-b?

Hi everyone,

One of my friends is back in Canada re-applying for his Non-B, but has been told that the Thai Embassy there is no longer issuing 1 year permits, and that they've restricted Non-B's to 3 months total, single entry.

Has anyone heard anything like this? Is this just a silly Canadian thing, or does it apply all over?

Thanks,

Sir Greg :o

Sir Greg:

Royal Thai Consulate General in Toronto is very friendly, all of my friends and family have never had a problem getting non-b or non-o type visa's for single double or multi entries. Just about one month ago a friend of mine got a non-b multi entry one year visa from the Toronto Consulate.

To Help:

Wm. A. Dickinson

Consul of Thailand Toronto

tel: (416) 241 3363 - Home

tel: (416) 367 6750 - Consulate

email: [email protected]

Very nice gent to speak with about Thai visa's. Its not a problem phoning the home telephone number - its on his personal cards.

Good Luck for your friend

Edited by thaidan55

I had same in Penang my first B visa was issued for only 3 months, not sure how you are supposed to get a year work permit on a single 3 months B anyone have more info?

I thought the permit and visa were tied together, does this mean you now have to do a visa run every 3 months taking time off work losing money plus spending large amounts of cash in the process? Any further info on this really appreciated thanks. :o

I had same in Penang my first B visa was issued for only  3 months, not sure how you are supposed to get a year work permit on a single 3 months

As long as certain criteria is met, the B visa can be extended for a year at a time.

More info here.. http://www.thaivisa.com/295.0.html

totster :o

Edited by Totster

I had same in Penang my first B visa was issued for only  3 months, not sure how you are supposed to get a year work permit on a single 3 months

As long as certain criteria is met, the B visa can be extended for a year at a time.

More info here.. http://www.thaivisa.com/295.0.html

totster :o

Thanks Tots, can this be done at the local immigration office i am presuming so.

I had same in Penang my first B visa was issued for only  3 months, not sure how you are supposed to get a year work permit on a single 3 months B anyone have more info?

I thought the permit and visa were tied together, does this mean you now have to do a visa run every 3 months taking time off work losing money plus spending large amounts of cash in the process? Any further info on this really appreciated thanks. :o

You can not obtain a one year work permit on a multi entry one year visa in any case. What your work permit period will be is the amount of time you are allowed to remain in Thailand.

What you do is obtain a work permit for your first 90 day period of stay and the you go to immigration to extend your stay for one year on the basis of your job. Once you do that you can then obtain a work permit for the full time.

• 1 month later...
I had same in Penang my first B visa was issued for only  3 months, not sure how you are supposed to get a year work permit on a single 3 months B anyone have more info?

You can not obtain a one year work permit on a multi entry one year visa in any case. What your work permit period will be is the amount of time you are allowed to remain in Thailand.

What you do is obtain a work permit for your first 90 day period of stay and the you go to immigration to extend your stay for one year on the basis of your job. Once you do that you can then obtain a work permit for the full time.

Could you please clarify how I go about obtaining a year Non Immigrant B visa, whereby that visa is valid for one year with no visa runs every 90 days? I have heard it is called a Non Immigrant B-A?

We have 7 people in our company who are all on multiple entry Non Immigrant B visas with work permits running alongside and the cost is B26,800 per year per person for the visa run expenses and the 90 day updating of work permits. :D If we could get a visa for one year and not leave the country, it would be a godsend to our cashflow!

What are the criteria for this yearly visa? How much does it cost? We are based on Koh Phangan, therefore our local Immigration Office is Koh Samui. Could we obtain the year visa from Penang or could our current Non Immigrant B multiple entry be converted in Koh Samui Immigration?

Thanks in advance.

Could you please clarify how I go about obtaining a year Non Immigrant B visa, whereby that visa is valid for one year with no visa runs every 90 days? I have heard it is called a Non Immigrant B-A?

We have 7 people in our company who are all on multiple entry Non Immigrant B visas with work permits running alongside and the cost is B26,800 per year per person for the visa run expenses and the 90 day updating of work permits.  If we could get a visa for one year and not leave the country, it would be a godsend to our cashflow!

What are the criteria for this yearly visa? How much does it cost? We are based on Koh Phangan, therefore our local Immigration Office is Koh Samui. Could we obtain the year visa from Penang or could our current Non Immigrant B multiple entry be converted in Koh Samui Immigration?

Thanks in advance.

Do not believe there is any such visa. What there is has always been the case and that is extension of stay on the basis of working in Thailand. That requires a legal company with positions available for foreigners and paperwork as well as meeting the required income levels for your nationality and this is provided by immigration office. You should be able to find details in both English and Thai on http://www.imm.police.go.th/nov2004/base.php

Could you please clarify how I go about obtaining a year Non Immigrant B visa, whereby that visa is valid for one year with no visa runs every 90 days?  I have heard it is called a Non Immigrant B-A?

We have 7 people in our company who are all on multiple entry Non Immigrant B visas with work permits running alongside and the cost is B26,800 per year per person for the visa run expenses and the 90 day updating of work permits.  :o  If we could get a visa for one year and not leave the country, it would be a godsend to our cashflow!

What are the criteria for this yearly visa?  How much does it cost?  We are based on Koh Phangan, therefore our local Immigration Office is Koh Samui.  Could we obtain the year visa from Penang or could our current Non Immigrant B multiple entry be converted in Koh Samui Immigration?

Thanks in advance.

yeh looks like somebody somewhere has misunderstood the process for Wps and visas.

to add to lops advice below. i will try and clarify it for you.

1 someone outside thailand wants to work here.

2 they apply for a non imm b ( i will assume single entries in this case ) with supporting docs from the company that will be employing them.

3 they enter thailand and use the single entry b

4 the company and the person then applies for a wp

5 the wp is approved and you got to immigration to extend the visa stamp for a year.

I know that is a very simplified version but should be valid for most people.

If you have people with wps and you are sending them on 3monthly visa runs, it sounds like you missed out on step 5. i am not sure if you an still go to immigration and get the visa entension or need to go back to step 4. Others may have the answer to that.

Could you please clarify how I go about obtaining a year Non Immigrant B visa, whereby that visa is valid for one year with no visa runs every 90 days?  I have heard it is called a Non Immigrant B-A?

We have 7 people in our company who are all on multiple entry Non Immigrant B visas with work permits running alongside and the cost is B26,800 per year per person for the visa run expenses and the 90 day updating of work permits.  :o  If we could get a visa for one year and not leave the country, it would be a godsend to our cashflow!

What are the criteria for this yearly visa?  How much does it cost?  We are based on Koh Phangan, therefore our local Immigration Office is Koh Samui.  Could we obtain the year visa from Penang or could our current Non Immigrant B multiple entry be converted in Koh Samui Immigration?

Thanks in advance.

yeh looks like somebody somewhere has misunderstood the process for Wps and visas.

2 they apply for a non imm b ( i will assume single entries in this case ) with supporting docs from the company that will be employing them.

5 the wp is approved and you got to immigration to extend the visa stamp for a year.

If you have people with wps and you are sending them on 3monthly visa runs, it sounds like you missed out on step 5. i am not sure if you an still go to immigration and get the visa entension or need to go back to step 4. Others may have the answer to that.

Not always mate. I'd put money on the fact that they either haven't got the capital, or are not paying the minimum wage (or some other requirement they're missing) and thus Immigration won't extend the Visa for them (similar to what Louis was doing a while ago mate).

Is it a dive shop you're referring to Nam and are your foreign staff earning the minimum wage (60K for Americans, 50K for Brits etc.)???

Yeah in some ways it might be better to pay them more so they can get the extension and in turn save money (if that is their problem).

Kind of funny really (although obviously not for the staff etc.).

Edited by kenkannif

We have 7 people in our company who are all on multiple entry Non Immigrant B visas with work permits running alongside and the cost is B26,800 per year per person for the visa run expenses and the 90 day updating of work permits.  If we could get a visa for one year and not leave the country, it would be a godsend to our cashflow!

Thanks in advance.

Do not believe there is any such visa. What there is has always been the case and that is extension of stay on the basis of working in Thailand. That requires a legal company with positions available for foreigners and paperwork as well as meeting the required income levels for your nationality and this is provided by immigration office. You should be able to find details in both English and Thai on http://www.imm.police.go.th/nov2004/base.php

I see that there is a B-A available from Consulates but that it must be approved by immigration in Bangkok prior to issue - but this does not sound like what you need in any case with the persons already in country. MFA information is:

2.2 Business approved visa (category “B-A”) may be applied for at the Embassies or Consulates abroad but approval shall be given by the Office of the Immigration Bureau in Bangkok before visa is issued to the qualified applicant. The company in which the applicant will invest or do business with can also apply for this type of visa at the Immigration Bureau. The validity of stay for B-A type visa is valid for a period of one year counting from the date of arrival in the Kingdom.

Hi everyone,

One of my friends is back in Canada re-applying for his Non-B, but has been told that the Thai Embassy there is no longer issuing 1 year permits, and that they've restricted Non-B's to 3 months total, single entry.

Has anyone heard anything like this?  Is this just a silly Canadian thing, or does it apply all over?

Thanks,

Sir Greg :o

that was the same similar story for me , but different location .. try to find a more customer orientated place , some very glad to oblige if you have the adequate papers ! i am back here with a 1 year visa , still have to go out every three month

Hi everyone,

Has anyone heard anything like this?  Is this just a silly Canadian thing, or does it apply all over?

that was the same similar story for me , but different location .. try to find a more customer orientated place , some very glad to oblige if you have the adequate papers ! i am back here with a 1 year visa , still have to go out every three month

Another irony: there has been talk of making the one-year multiple-entry 'B' visa a three-year visa. What's the point in doing so if the consular offices won't issue a multiple-entry visa? :o

I myself managed to get a work permit from a 3 month non B, you just have to do it quick.

Not always mate. I'd put money on the fact that they either haven't got the capital, or are not paying the minimum wage (or some other requirement they're missing) and thus Immigration won't extend the Visa for them (similar to what Louis was doing a while ago mate).

Is it a dive shop you're referring to Nam and are your foreign staff earning the minimum wage (60K for Americans, 50K for Brits etc.)???

Thank you for your replies, sorry to take so long - I have been on a visa run and have had computer problems with JI Net!

Yes, we do have the capital, yes, we are paying more than the minimum wage but no, we haven't completed step 5 of bluebear's wp and visa saga above! So, how much did you want to put on this kenkannif? A crossed cheque will do nicely thanks mate.

Lopburi3, I have looked at the http://www.imm.police.go.th/nov2004/base.php website but haven't come up with any specific details, not in English anyway. So, if there is any more advice, I will be happy to listen.

Thanks

P.S. How comes I am still a newbie when I have been a member for nearly a year, just because I don't post, or is that all that it is guaged on? Is there any way I can change my Member detail i.e. I want to be shown as an Island Member?!

Well if you have the 2mil paid up capital and 4 thai employees (tax and social paid) per WP desired and pay the 50 - 60k per person per month (taxes etc) they should be able to sort you WP's..

If you meet the requirements they should give them pretty easy (or as easy as paperwork gets here)..

I would also be assuming that if you have the requirements for 7 WP's (that makes what, 28 Thai staff ??) you would have some legal representative and or local contacts with people who could help you.. Fair sized company to support 7 WP's..