I shall soon be taking over a new build house. I am anxious that it will have a properly earthed (grounded) electrical system, particularly for water heaters and kitchen appliances.

As a retired aircraft engineer I do have a good knowlege of electrical theory and AC/DC applications but I am not familiar with the electrical codes for LOS.

I am sure that there are some qualified domestic electricains out there!. What should I be looking for to confirm adequate grounding? Connections to an earthing stake; bonding to the structure rebar?

I know that the methods of grounding are dependent of the suppliers generating equipment (delta or star windings) but I don't understand it.

I'm just not keen on the bit of wire twisted onto the washing machine frame and then attached to a 6 inch nail banged into the kitchen floor at a tile joint!!!

I can tell you what I did, I purchased a long (5 foot) copper Rod/Spike, they are sold at most small hardware store here in Thailand, I located a spot near the breakers and drove it in the ground, I then attached a Thick copper cable to the casing ground of the breaker box. So far, no problems, just make sure the outlets in the house are hooked up to the box's ground.

greg

Edited by griser

When my wife was building our house up near Khampaeng Phet I sort of directed the electrical side of it.

We have a Safe-t-cut earth leakage breaker on the 2 wire input from the meter.

It then goes to a circuit breaker box with different values of breaker depending on the load you want, low rated 8 amps for all the lights split across upstairs and downstairs, to 25 amps for all the sockets, split again, the 2 shower units and also for the air conditioners, one mcb for each.

I also got a 1/2 inch copper rod 3 metres long and that is sunk into the ground just outside the house and runs back on 25 mm ground cable to the main circuit box.

I also used 3 wire cables for all the cable runs but I over estimated the diameter of the cable and used 2.5 mm for the light circuits and 4 mm for the power. At least it won't overheat but in retrospect I should have used 1mm for the lights and 2.5 for the power cables.

All the sockets are 3 pin although you can use a 2 pin plug if you want to.

I am also going to run an independent earth line just fot thr PC stuff as most of the adaptors are 2 pin.

Cost a bit but it does give peace of mind.

Sorry about the mix of units between Imperial and Metric but that the way they sell the stuff.

Edited by billd766

Use a ground stake for main circuit panel. Use three wire cable. Make sure appliances with ground wires have three pin plugs and case is grounded - if they have a two pin plug you can replace and run the separate ground wire to the plug ground. Have a Safe-T-Cut type protector RCD/ECCB/GFI). You may want to test grounds with a multi meter set a highest AC voltage measure from hot side to neutral and then ground (should both show the same voltage). If none or little to ground there is a problem.

BillD: You should not run new grounds - replace any two pin adapters (assume you mean power strips) with real grounded type. Very important to keep computers happy.

When my wife was building our house up near Khampaeng Phet.

:D

Love it. Made me chuckle that. My Mrs can't build a fire. :D

Mr BoJ

The two most used words in our relationship are from me and they are "Yes Dear".

It works most times unless I really wasn't listening. :o:D

Actually it is true about my wife though she was on site supervising rather than building it though we did have one lady who was a builder, concrete mixing/laying etc. Did a good job too.

It took the best part of a year to build including a small house that went up in 3 weeks so that she could live on site. If she was not there it would have perhaps taken much longer with several re-does of thing that can go wrong. With her on site any problem was sorted out in a few minutes.

Use a ground stake for main circuit panel.  Use three wire cable.  Make sure appliances with ground wires have three pin plugs and case is grounded - if they have a two pin plug you can replace and run the separate ground wire to the plug ground.  Have a Safe-T-Cut type protector RCD/ECCB/GFI).  You may want to test grounds with a multi meter set a highest AC voltage measure from hot side to neutral and then ground (should both show the same voltage).  If none or little to ground there is a problem.

BillD:  You should not run new grounds - replace any two pin adapters (assume you mean power strips) with real grounded type.  Very important to keep computers happy.

My computer is on an ungrounded circuit and its perfectly happy!!

Use a ground stake for main circuit panel.  Use three wire cable.  Make sure appliances with ground wires have three pin plugs and case is grounded - if they have a two pin plug you can replace and run the separate ground wire to the plug ground.  Have a Safe-T-Cut type protector RCD/ECCB/GFI).  You may want to test grounds with a multi meter set a highest AC voltage measure from hot side to neutral and then ground (should both show the same voltage).  If none or little to ground there is a problem.

BillD:  You should not run new grounds - replace any two pin adapters (assume you mean power strips) with real grounded type.  Very important to keep computers happy.

Are you sure? :o

Are you sure? :o

Over two years, no problems.

I can tell you what I did, I purchased a long (5 foot) copper Rod/Spike, they are sold at most small hardware store here in Thailand, I located a spot near the breakers and drove it in the ground, I then attached a Thick copper cable to the casing ground of the breaker box. So far, no problems, just make sure the outlets in the house are hooked up to the box's ground.

greg

I have the same set up. I aslso have many UPS's around the house on important items for power outages.

Are you sure? :D

If it's a laptop -- no problem.

If it's a desktop you will have live metalwork (at about 115V), try the damp feet and touch the case test :o

Desktops MUST have a grounded outlet for safety (both of the PC and the user).

If it's a desktop you will have live metalwork (at about 115V), try the damp feet and touch the case test :o

I've got a desktop...no problem...why would I want to dampen my feet and touch the case? I don't lick the case either.

Thanks Lop and to the above helpful posts. I have no reason to distrust the site electrician at this stage but I need to know what to look for. I have seen the copper plated earthing stakes in the DIY stores so I know where to go if I have put some independent grounds in. I will dust off the multimeter in my toolbox; it may be needed!

Twenty five millimetere ground cable? Boy, you must have struggled to get a twist on that!

When my wife was building our house up near Khampaeng Phet I sort of directed the electrical side of it.

We have a Safe-t-cut earth leakage breaker on the 2 wire input from the meter.

It then goes to a circuit breaker box with different values of breaker depending on the load you want, low rated 8 amps for all the lights split across upstairs and downstairs, to 25 amps for all the sockets, split again, the 2 shower units and also for the air conditioners, one mcb for each.

I also got a 1/2 inch copper rod 3 metres long and that is sunk into the ground just outside the house and runs back on 25 mm ground cable to the main circuit box.

I also used 3 wire cables for all the cable runs but I over estimated the diameter of the cable and used 2.5 mm for the light circuits and 4 mm for the power. At least it won't overheat but in retrospect I should have used 1mm for the lights and 2.5 for the power cables.

All the sockets are 3 pin although you can use a 2 pin plug if you want to.

I am also going to run an independent earth line just fot thr PC stuff as most of the adaptors are 2 pin.

Cost a bit but it does give peace of mind.

Sorry about the mix of units between Imperial and Metric but that the way they sell the stuff.

If it's a desktop you will have live metalwork (at about 115V), try the damp feet and touch the case test :D

I've got a desktop...no problem...why would I want to dampen my feet and touch the case? I don't lick the case either.

Never had a 'tickly case'???

The metalwork of your PC is at 115V, it won't kill you but it might kill periperhals (printer etc.) that ARE properly grounded.

Had exactly this problem with some VERY expensive gear in Seoul, the cheap ungrounded PC fried the not so cheap (properly grounded) RF analyser.

If you are nervous of the damp (sweaty) feet test, then you need to ground your metalwork :o

As an alternative, get yourself one of those neon screwdriver mains tester thingies. It will light up on the PC metalwork.

Edited by Crossy