Thaksin Marks 61st Birthday With Thai Peace 'tweets'

webfact

Thaksin marks 61st birthday with Thai peace 'tweets'

BANGKOK (AFP) -- Thailand's fugitive former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra marked his 61st birthday Monday with messages via Twitter saying he was ready to help his politically divided country to return to peace.

His "tweets" came the day after a bomb blast in Bangkok killed one and wounded 10 others -- the first deadly violence since deadly opposition protests were crushed by an army crackdown two months ago.

Thaksin, who is backed by many of the "Red Shirt" protesters and is accused by the government of bankrolling the protests and inciting unrest in the capital, thanked his supporters for their birthday greetings.

"I wish that holy spirits will protect you through these difficult times," he said.

"I turn 61-years-old today. I am an old man who would love to see good things happen in our country and I'm ready to help all sides who want this country to return to peace."

He asked people who support him to "please be patient... I don't like and I don't agree with finding solutions through violence."

Thaksin, who was ousted in a military coup in 2006, lives in self-imposed exile to avoid prison on corruption charges he contends are politically motivated. He did not say via Twitter where he was currently staying.

A Thai court has approved a warrant for his arrest on terrorism charges after a series of street clashes between the Red Shirts and armed troops left 90 people dead and about 1,900 injured, mostly in Bangkok.

The Reds, who hail Thaksin's policies for the poor, view the current government as elitist and undemocratic because it came to power after a court ruling threw out the previous administration.

At its peak, their rally in Bangkok demanding immediate elections attracted up to 100,000 people.

Sunday evening's blast, which reignited tensions in the capital, was designed to create disorder for political gain, police said Monday, although it was unclear who was behind the attack.

It came hours after polls closed in a crucial Bangkok by-election, with initial results suggesting a leader of the Red Shirt movement, jailed on terrorism charges, had lost to a member of the elite-backed ruling party.

The poll in a Bangkok suburb was seen as a barometer of both government and opposition support as it was the first election since the mass rally.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2010-07-26

This post has been promoted to an article

"I turn 61-years-old today. I am an old man who would love to see good things happen in our country and I'm ready to help all sides who want this country to return to peace."

Aaw, isn't that nice. He seems to have a strong love for reconciliation. Yet there are those in Bangkok that think he is a bad man. My prediction is he will be back in Bangkok to share the love before me, which for me is the 26th of December 2010.

Everyone should sing him happy birthday song. :whistling:

"I wish that holy spirits will protect you through these difficult times," he said.

But your latest newest gang, the Red Siam Commies, as true Communists, wouldn't believe in holy spirits or any other religious practice.

redsm.jpg

New Red-shirt Group Unveiled

A new red-shirt group calling itself the Red Siam is preparing to launch activities, with the first one being a celebration of former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra's birthday in Ratchaburi province.

Red Siam group Surachai Danwattananusorn inspected a 20-rai plot in Banpong district in Ratchaburi which will be used to host a celebration for the birthday of ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra this Saturday.

The group will hold its official launch at the event as well.

The event will start with an offering ceremony for holy spirits, followed by speech by the group's leader and phoned-in speeches by Thaksin as well as wanted lese majeste suspect Jakkrapob Penkair.

He added that his group is becoming active at this time to replace jailed red-shirt leaders like Veera Musikapong and Nutthawut Saikua and those who are still on the run.

TAN - July 20, 2010

http://www.thailandoutlook.tv/tan/ViewData.aspx?DataID=1032446

Whoops... guess they're not true Communists

P.S. Did we hear from the fugitive Jakrapob tonight? He's been incommunicado for ages.

headma.jpg

Celebrations of Thaksin's 61st Birthday

Coincidentally this year, fugitive former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra's 61st birthday falls on the compensation day for Asalha Puja day.

More than 500 people are said to have gathered for a merit-making ceremony held early today in his hometown, Chiang Mai province.

Early this morning Chantrsom Shinawatra, aunt of fugitive and former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, chaired a merit-making ceremony for the former premier's 61st birthday at Rongtham Samakee Temple in San Kampaeng district of Chiang Mai province, where Thaksin grew up.

More than 500 people attended the ceremony which was organized under the leadership of Puea Thai Party MP Surapong Towijakchaikul.

Others who attended the ceremony included deputy party leader Plodprasop Suraswadi, various Chiang Mai MPs, local politicians, and locals in the area.

A total of nine monks led the Buddhist ceremony, three of which were from Dap Pai, Loi Kroh, and Duang Dee temples, the names of which are consider lucky.

Participants gave alms for good luck and lit nine large red candles to symbolize the red-shirt movement in the ceremony as well.

After finishing some ceremonial rites, Thaksin had called in to thank the participants for wishing him a happy birthday, and especially Surapong Towijakchaikul for organizing the ceremony today.

Thaksin also said in his phone-in that he will return to Thailand soon.

Thaksin did not allow for any responses or questions, hanging up immediately after his five-minute speech.

After the ceremony, the organizers also released large floating lanterns and 1,000 white, blue, and red balloons to symbolize the Thai national flag, which is believed to take away bad luck.

Meanwhile, Thaksin's aunt, Chantrsom said that her nephew had wished her a happy birthday not too long ago, and so she returned the favor today.

She also said that she would like her nephew to come back to Thailand, and that the fugitive and former premier would also like to return.

She said her nephew is confident he will be back to his home country next year.

Chantrsom added that Thaksin is in good health and is living well abroad.

TAN - July 26, 2010

http://www.thailandoutlook.tv/tan/ViewData.aspx?DataID=1032637

I wish Thaksin would just go away.

If you just ignore him his phone-in, his tweet, and stop replying to such forum, he might just go away silently.

It is because people like us, that keep discussing about him, that keep his spirit alive.

Ironic isn't it?

A small rant ....

It irritates me that every time Thaksin is mentioned , at the end of truly every article ,

why the need to mention he is couped in 2006 ? And all the millions of other repeats .

Wonder if there really is someone who did not know that ,

perhaps Thaivisa could skip this shit once and for all .......... :jap:

Edited by tijnebijn

I wish Thaksin would just go away.

If you just ignore him his phone-in, his tweet, and stop replying to such forum, he might just go away silently.

It is because people like us, that keep discussing about him, that keep his spirit alive.

Ironic isn't it?

26th. July should be known as "Khun_T awareness day".

P.S. Did we hear from the fugitive Jakrapob tonight? He's been incommunicado for ages.

To monitor him was the job of the governments best man in the Thaksin & Co. hunt - Vice Foreign Minister Panich Vikitsreth. But i guess after he won a MP seat he will be busy now with looking after his constituency.

Anyway, i guess the statement below is still valid:

"The government is closely monitoring Jakrapob Penkair's movements, though his whereabouts are still unknown, Panich said." The Nation, April 28, 2009

To monitor him was the job of the governments best man in the Thaksin & Co. hunt - Vice Foreign Minister Panich Vikitsreth. But i guess after he won a MP seat he will be busy now with looking after his constituency.

"The government is closely monitoring Jakrapob Penkair's movements, though his whereabouts are still unknown, Panich said." The Nation, April 28, 2009

As you know not every one is willing to shed his last drop of blood for the good cause. hiding in Cambodia seems so much more preferable. Also easier for the government to keep an eye on, even with 'cool' or 'frozen' (official) relations.

PS can you stick to default font and colours, please

I'd love to hear how the government is "closely monitoring his movements" when they haven't got the foggiest idea where he is ...?!

Seems he has a short memory. Isn't this the man who, during the bloody, murderous riots in Bangkok in April 2009, called for the people to rise in revolution? Note he is not calling for his supporters to use peaceful means. Merely that he wants the country to return to peace.

This guy will NEVER go away its a "FACE" thingy - why dont the government invite or let him come back - then catch him - i know that is entrapment - but do the government really care about that - i think not!

He CAN return to Thailand at any time he wishes.

The big problem would be to get him safely into a jail without any more riots or deaths.

Do you ever wonder why Mr. T. keeps saying he'll return before the end of the year, and we all know that it would not be to go to jail or face his other charges. He expects to come back triumphant before the end of 2010.

The only way I can see that happening is if another country were to step in and help him to overthrow the Thai Government.

So, does anybody care to speculate? Mr. T. has a very good relationship with Cambodia, who at this time seem to be up to something rather small, but which could escalate with the right buttons being pushed. The Red Riots showed a country with no defences. A few hundred well trained Men in Black, in amongst a few thousand rice farmers brought the Thai Police and the Military to its knees. Even when the Military seemed to step up to plate and take control, they were merely taking space that had been vacated and the MiB were on to other more disruptive tasks, and then they disappeared. All the "intelligence" the Military could muster had no clue what happened until the media reported it, and then there was little they could do. It was all over but the crying and finger pointing, and even there, the Red's party seems to be pointing the most fingers.

So, with little or no defence (in total disarray) how long would it take Cambodia to step into the fray, with Mr. T. proclaiming they are liberating Thailand, and bringing him to power? I predict they will have Bangkok encircled within 2 days. The authorities could not even stop truckloads of tires in Nissan pickups. How on earth would they deal with tanks and a real army on the other side? I say the Red Riots were merely a test of the Thai Defences, and the real play is going to happen in time for Mr. T. to come back by the end of the year.

If you think this is warped, how would you explain this insistence he will be back before year end? People have so far ignored that, but it is very significant. I think his ego gets pumped each time he drops a clue and it is ignored. Pretty near everything he has said in passing, has happened. Watch your border, is what I have to say.

Do you ever wonder why Mr. T. keeps saying he'll return before the end of the year, and we all know that it would not be to go to jail or face his other charges. He expects to come back triumphant before the end of 2010.

The only way I can see that happening is if another country were to step in and help him to overthrow the Thai Government.

So, does anybody care to speculate? Mr. T. has a very good relationship with Cambodia, who at this time seem to be up to something rather small, but which could escalate with the right buttons being pushed. The Red Riots showed a country with no defences. A few hundred well trained Men in Black, in amongst a few thousand rice farmers brought the Thai Police and the Military to its knees. Even when the Military seemed to step up to plate and take control, they were merely taking space that had been vacated and the MiB were on to other more disruptive tasks, and then they disappeared. All the "intelligence" the Military could muster had no clue what happened until the media reported it, and then there was little they could do. It was all over but the crying and finger pointing, and even there, the Red's party seems to be pointing the most fingers.

So, with little or no defence (in total disarray) how long would it take Cambodia to step into the fray, with Mr. T. proclaiming they are liberating Thailand, and bringing him to power? I predict they will have Bangkok encircled within 2 days. The authorities could not even stop truckloads of tires in Nissan pickups. How on earth would they deal with tanks and a real army on the other side? I say the Red Riots were merely a test of the Thai Defences, and the real play is going to happen in time for Mr. T. to come back by the end of the year.

If you think this is warped, how would you explain this insistence he will be back before year end? People have so far ignored that, but it is very significant. I think his ego gets pumped each time he drops a clue and it is ignored. Pretty near everything he has said in passing, has happened. Watch your border, is what I have to say.

It's a bit different being asked to go in against your own people trying to minimise casualties than going in against another country's army where that isn't really an issue.

So if Mr. T. said ro allow them to go to Bangkok and even go with them, what do you think the northern reds would do? They'd be in their pickups faster than you can say "get outa my way". That whole riot thing could have been a dry run with the real exercise to come later this year, and not just several hundred armed people.

Hope I'm way wrong here, but what if? Why would there be this constant focus on coming back before year end? It has to mean something big will happen to change the entire political scene.