Bank Of Thailand Sees Thai Tourism Improving In 2nd Half 2010

webfact

Bank of Thailand sees Thai tourism improving in 2nd half 2010

BANGKOK: -- Thailand's tourism industry should pick up in the second half of 2010 if 'no negative factors occur' to erode tourist confidence, according to a senior official of the Bank of Thailand (BoT).

BoT Assistant Governor Paiboon Kittisrikangwan said the country's tourism industry would return to normal late this year but the number of visitors in 2010 and the entire-year revenue from this sector would be below that of 2009.

Mr Paiboon said Thailand's domestic politics and debt crisis in European countries caused a sharp drop in foreign arrivals to the kingdom in April, while the whole year 2010 revenue from tourism will decrease as tourism operators must lower prices to attract visitors.

However the eased political turmoil and the recently relaxed travel warnings by several countries have restored the tourist confidence, said the BoT assistant governor. This can be seen an increase number of tourists from China, Hong Kong and other Southeast Asian countries in June.

Meanwhile, a survey conducted among operators of tourism-related businesses has found that they want the government to help solve problems now facing them, especially on restoring confidence among local and foreign tourists, according to National Statistics Office director-general Jirawan Boonperm.

The survey was conducted on 638 tourism-related operators between March and May when they said they wanted the government to quickly promote public relations campaigns for tourism, boosting tourism image, improving tourism spots and provide safety to tourists, Mrs Jirawan said.

Most operators surveyed said their businesses had been affected by domestic politics, economy and widespread diseases, and high oil prices, she said.

However, 41.2 per cent of the respondents said that the tourism business in Thailand improved in 2010 compared to 2009 while 26.1 per cent said it remained unchanged and 32.7 per cent said it has worsened. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2010-07-26

Hua Hin is empty at present,excluding this holiday weekend, and just spent a week in Samui and that was dead.....Its school holidays in Europe at present and I just dont see any families walking aroound as previous years.....all these surveys/announcments are based on non factual information and the reality is tourism is down on a monumental scale compared to previous years.

'djayz' timestamp='1280149803' post='3774925']

What does the "Bank of Thailand" have to do with "tourism"? Just out of curiosity... :unsure:

I was just about to ask that question myself , what monetary interest does the bank have in tourism projections and what is this person doing poking his nose into problems that seem not to concern him ? It would appear to me that some are not happy unless they can show they can do a better job than the other guy , problem is , he knows didly squat more than the people who should realy be on the ball in regards to tourism , and they are way out in left field .

I read a report on Cambodian tourism today , at a border crosing from Laos opened some years back , they have allowed no visa entry and lowered the restrictions on vehicle entries since the end of last year , they have seen an increase of 67% in tourists using the crossing , visitors reported visiting Seam Reap , Phnom Penh and Sihanook-ville .

Flights are also being increased into Cambodia by both Bangkok Air and Air Asea from Thailand and Vietnam air from Vietnam .

Guess Thailand are too Thai to attempt something similar .

Every time I mention my trip to Thailand in Nov. the first question asked is is it safe and this is from people who are not tuned into traveling.

More than likely the Bank of Thailand has an interest in every sector that affects the monetary wealth of Thailand.

tourism operators must lower prices to attract visitors

How about devaluate thai bhat ' date=' that would help alot! :whistling:[/b']

Nah, thats too easy. Better make baht stronger but spend millions on advertising.

PS. With all the mighty strength prices have not come down, if anything went up on all imported goods

What does the "Bank of Thailand" have to do with "tourism"? Just out of curiosity... :unsure:

Having dealt extensively with the BoT in the past, my own view is that its personnel are probably the best in terms of economics in the governmental apparatus (and by some margin). While their main responsibilities are for monetary management and banking supervision, they also do a lot of work on wider economic questions and research. Although tourism is only circa 7% of GDP, it is a large generator of both FX inflows and higher end employment, both things that the BoT needs to track. If only the rest of them had the same standards as the BoT....... As for comments about the professionalism and ability of those in charge of tourism in the government, I will refrain as I understand bad language is not allowed on this board.

Having dealt extensively with the BoT in the past, my own view is that its personnel are probably the best in terms of economics in the governmental apparatus (and by some margin). While their main responsibilities are for monetary management and banking supervision, they also do a lot of work on wider economic questions and research. Although tourism is only circa 7% of GDP, it is a large generator of both FX inflows and higher end employment, both things that the BoT needs to track. If only the rest of them had the same standards as the BoT....... As for comments about the professionalism and ability of those in charge of tourism in the government, I will refrain as I understand bad language is not allowed on this board.

"Having dealt extensively with the BoT in the past" and what exactly was your role in dealing with BOT????

"Having dealt extensively with the BoT in the past" and what exactly was your role in dealing with BOT????

Ex-banker and then (later) working with a rating agency.