How Are Gardens Fairing With Water Shortage?

daveb1

One for the gardeners! I am worried about my beloved garden in Thailand, just how hardy are most plants if they dont get as much water as normal? We do have a gardener who waters them everyday but with the lack of rain and water being cut off that may not have happened as much as normal. Am i going to come out to a brown dead garden in August or should it be OK?

Yep, depends where you are. My garden in southern Petchabun province is green at the moment. We are not watering either, just relying on the rain which arrives every couple of days or so. Most of the plants sprang into life when the rains started.

It kind of depends on what plants you have, what soil you have, and especially it depends on whether they actually got watered on a regular basis and on how much water was applied with each watering. Since you have given us none of the variable, the solution set to your quandry is huge and it is impossible to compute a singular outcome or even a probably solution set of finite size.

In other words, with what you've said how the heck could we possibly know if your garden will be dead when you arrive in August.

OK we are about 15km north of pattaya Garden is normally watered every day but not sure of rainfull situation or how often water was cut off in last 6 weeks or so! Soil is very sandy we have a mixture of plants, lawns and trees bouganvilia(not sure how you spell it!) palms, hibiscus all the usual stuff.

OK we are about 15km north of pattaya Garden is normally watered every day but not sure of rainfull situation or how often water was cut off in last 6 weeks or so! Soil is very sandy we have a mixture of plants, lawns and trees bouganvilia(not sure how you spell it!) palms, hibiscus all the usual stuff.

15 km north of Pattaya would put you between Laem Chabang and Sri Ratcha or thereabouts. :o

I work in Laem Chabang and you should have nothing to worry about now as we have had some recent sporadic rainfall in the area. General garden plants of the types you mentioned (BTW it's bougainvillea), provided thay have been established for 6 months or so, should be OK.

The only plants that you should be concerned about would be those growing in pots... the sun and wind dries out their potting mix very quickly... most potted plants growing in full sunlight need daily watering.