Help With Business Ideas

Taro

Wine bars, artsy café/bars like the one suggested by snawa, indie movie theater/screen room, theme restaurants (imagine something similar to this: www.ninjanewyork.com/ninjacastle.html), eco tours of the city itself, phone bar *, dinner theater, bowling, arcade (a couple of huge ones), virtual reality/3D ride or games (usually a single machine), mini-golf (not in HCM; different city in Vietnam; again, for the young crowd)… probably a lot more I'm forgetting right now.

*the phone bar is a sort of café with lots of small tables. Each table has a number and a phone. You can use this phone to call other tables and basically hit on anybody you see sitting there. It caters to teens/very young crowd and it's incredibly popular, especially on evenings and nights.

Phuket maybe, Hua Hin no....do you really think golfing retirees are looking for this...the other problem is, the prices for drinks will be 50% more than anywhere else as they will want to recoup the millions they spent on arty furniture and design.

Who says I need to cater to golfing retirees? Again, some people suggested catering to a mix (Thais, foreigners, young, old). That would be the idea. Most of these ideas wouldn't work for golfing retirees either.

How many young expats are there in Hua Hin? none! There arnt any tourists any more and unlikely to be

for at least a few years. The Thais already go to Rich, Hin Nam Sai, Hi4 and other places on Petchkasem so you would need to contend with them and that would mean an inestment of appoaching 20 million. just for a weekend trade. The only bars with customers are in Soi 80 as they all do buy 2 get one free so a drink is only 40-45 baht. thats why bintabat and salakem are empty as they charge to much. If you could open somewhere with prices like that it could attract customers but unless you can get cheap running costs in a great location you would need to start charging at the top end, and people just cant afford it anymore with the baht so strong, seriously, who is going to pay the same or more for a drink here than they would in Central London, Paris or New York.

I don't know anything about business, so I'm not going to offer an opinion on that. However, I have to say that there are TONS of young foreigners in Hua Hin. I bet many are tourists but two of my neighbors are young couples (one from Australia, one from Sweden) with no kids and that's just an example. ESB7, I don't know how old you are or what places you frequent, but if you really think there aren't young foreigners in Hua Hin, you might be visiting the wrong places because they are everywhere. Whether that means any of these businesses would work or not, I don't know, but it wouldn't be for lack of potential customers.

Edited by blyish

Wine bars, artsy café/bars like the one suggested by snawa, indie movie theater/screen room, theme restaurants (imagine something similar to

Just thought of something: how about serving nice home cooked 3 course dinners at home and serving to select, by-invitation-only guests. You would need to be a good cook and have a dining room where you could seat 10-12 people comfortably. You could serve something special which is not readily available in restarunts and also it could provide the guests opportunity to make new contacts. Iam borrowing this idea from a tv documentry I saw some time ago.

I think its a horrible idea to try and start a business that isn't a bar or nightlife in HH and at the mo, it's a bad idea to even do that. HH is mostly thais and ones with out money for any crap a westerner can make a lot of money on. You are better off aiming at phuket or pattaya but now as the current state of thailand isn't good.

Oh and out of all them I think 1 is the best idea as I was thinking of learning my self but refuse to pay a Farang owner top dollar when I can learn from Thais.

Ignore business ideas from this yoyo, he started a post recently asking views on renting a secondhand JRD motorbike for 2,500 baht a month. Another Ex Pat running out of money and turning to illegal means.

Funds not so much of a problem. Of course it'd be nice to open a business with as little as possible, but I'm willing to invest more if necessary. Setting up a company not a problem either. I think some of the business ideas will not require that much response either. For example, the magazine would earn money by selling ad space. Granted, I don't know the market that well, but if I hire Thai employees, I'm thinking they can target Thai businesses as well to sell ad space. As for the number of expats living here, let's say even 1000 are able to spend money on extras. If you run something like a small school, you wouldn't need too many students to break even. Rents are quite reasonable for a place that could be used as a small school. The internet business would require a VERY small investment.

I'm well aware of the economic crisis. Maybe that's why I'm being cautious and asking for opinions. I already earn a steady income through other means, so the business would be an addition, rather than my only source of money.

Buy condos and rent them. At least you are sure you will never loose everything. And your money will make more than staying in the bank.

Casting about for business ideas sounds like someone despaerate to stay in Thailand.

Like I previously stated, I already have an income (from abroad) and I already have a visa. No need to look for something that's not there.

I think its a horrible idea to try and start a business that isn't a bar or nightlife in HH and at the mo, it's a bad idea to even do that. HH is mostly thais and ones with out money for any crap a westerner can make a lot of money on. You are better off aiming at phuket or pattaya but now as the current state of thailand isn't good.

Oh and out of all them I think 1 is the best idea as I was thinking of learning my self but refuse to pay a Farang owner top dollar when I can learn from Thais.

Ignore business ideas from this yoyo, he started a post recently asking views on renting a secondhand JRD motorbike for 2,500 baht a month. Another Ex Pat running out of money and turning to illegal means.

Who are you and what is your problem? Are you on crack or just some stupid bint posting crap that you have no idea about? I'm not an ex-pat (Yet), I'm a 22 year old international business and banking student on his final year in the UK. Guranteed I have much more knowledge then you, more money then you, live in a nicer house then you and have a better motorbike then you which you seem obsessed about with JRD's.

So why don't you do your self a favour and go sit in a hole?

Sorry for the long post but I thought you may find this helpful. It's from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs Foreign Business Act:

There are two sets of regulations that place work restrictions on foreigners Thailand – A Royal Decree which list occupations closed to foreigners, and a Law which closes certain activities to foreigners.

Restricted occupations

A Royal Decree in 1973 listed 39 occupations that were then closed to aliens. This list has

been amended on several occasions by subsequent Royal Decrees, the latest one in 1979. Prohibited occupations are:

• Labour

• Work in agriculture, animal breeding,

forestry, fishery or general farm

supervision

• Masonry, carpentry, or other

construction work

• Wood carving

• Driving motor vehicles or nonmotorised

carriers, except for piloting

international aircraft

• Shop attendant

• Auctioning

• Supervising, auditing or giving

services in accounting, except

occasional international auditing

• Gem cutting and polishing

• Hair cutting, hair dressing and

beautician work

• Hand weaving

• Mat weaving or making of wares from

reed, rattan, kenaf, straw or bamboo

pulp

• Manufacture of manual fibrous paper

• Manufacture of lacquerware

• Thai musical instrument production

• Manufacture of nielloware

• Goldsmith, silversmith and other

precious metal work

• Manufacture of bronzeware

• Thai doll making

• Manufacture of mattresses and padded

blankets

• Alms bowl making

• Manual silk product making

• Buddha image making

• Manufacture of knives

• Paper and cloth umbrella fabrication

• Shoemaking

• Hat making

• Brokerage or agency work, except in

international business

• Dressmaking

• Pottery or ceramics

• Manual cigarette rolling

• Legal or litigation service

• Clerical or secretarial work

• Manual silk reeling and weaving

• Thai character type-setting

• Hawking business

• Tourist guide or tour organising

agency

• Architectural work

• Civil engineering work

The Foreign Business Act

The Foreign Business Act (the Act) was approved on 15 October 1999 by the Senate and on

20 October 1999 by the House of Representatives, and it was published in the Government

Gazette on December 4, and it will be enforced from March 4, 2000.

The Act repeals and replaces the 1972 National Executive Council Announcement No. 281 (or Alien Business Law, ABL).

As with the Alien Business Law, the businesses attached to the Act are still divided into three

categories – List 1, List 2, and List 3. The ABL divided businesses into Annex A, Annex B and Annex C.

However, the business categories in the Act have been substantially changed from those of

the ABL. Under the Act, a Foreign Business Board will review the businesses listed at least

once a year, and present it to the Commerce Minister. The Commerce Minister, acting in

terms of the recommendations of the Foreign Business Board, is empowered to issue Ministry of Foreign Affairs Business Handbook

Section 5: Starting a business in Thailand

Page 14

Ministerial Regulations.

The Foreign Business Board will consist of 19 committee members from both government and private agencies. The latter will include the Thai Chamber of Commerce and the Federation of Thai Industries. A maximum of five experts can also sit on the committee.

List 1 activities are strictly prohibited to aliens. List 2 is prohibited to aliens unless permission is granted by the Commerce Minister by and with an appropriate Cabinet resolution. Alien juristic entities allowed to engage in the businesses in List 2 must meet the

following two conditions:

(1) At least 40 percent of all of the shares are held by Thai persons or non-alien juristic

entities.

(2) Two-fifths of the members of the Board of Directors are Thai.

List 3 is prohibited to aliens unless permission is granted by the Director-General of the Department of Commercial Registration, Ministry of Commerce, by and with approval of the Foreign Business Board.

An alien can engage in businesses in List 2 and/or List 3 if he is a promoted investor in accordance with either the Investment Promotion Act, Industrial Estate Authority of Thailand Act, or other laws. They must then notify the Commerce Minister.

Major features of the Foreign Business Act compared with the Alien Business Law

Definition of Alien

Alien Business Law

1. A natural person or a juristic person who is not of Thai nationality;

2 A juristic entity of which foreigners hold one-half or more of either the number of

the shares or the value of the shares;

3 A juristic entity of which foreigners account for one-half or more of the

shareholders;

4 A limited partnership or a registered ordinary partnership with a foreign managing

partner or a foreign manager.

Bearer (no name) certificate shares of a limited company shall be considered shares owned by aliens, unless otherwise prescribed by Ministerial Regulation.

Foreign Business Act

1 A natural person who is not of Thai nationality;

2 A juristic entity which is not registered in Thailand;

3 A juristic entity incorporated in Thailand with foreign shareholding accounting for

one-half or more of the total number or value of shares;

4 A limited partnership or registered ordinary partnership whose managing partner or manager is a foreigner.

Bearer (no-name) certificate shares of a limited company shall be considered shares owned by aliens, unless otherwise prescribed by Ministerial Regulation.

Shareholding limit in other business

Alien Business Law

An alien as a permit holder or shareholder or partner of a juristic entity under the alien definition, shall not become a partner or shareholder in any other partnership or company with more than one-third of the total shares of the company or with more than one-third of the total capital of the partnership, or buy out such businesses, unless permission has been granted by the Director-General, who may prescribe certain conditions.

As a frequent HH weekend visitor, I'd patronize a sit-on-a-mat-on-the-ground-and-watch-big-screen-classic-movies-in-the-evening service. Also, I think there is a need for local transportation (electric car alternatives to tuk tuks) and day trip transportation that is not necessarily tour companies, and food delivery (BKK has one) when you're too lazy to go out. "order a home picnic" (or BBQ) - comes with everything... No-one does brunch. And I'd also like to have some more sea adventure options - kayaks, evening squid boat tours,... good luck.

Who are you and what is your problem? Are you on crack or just some stupid bint posting crap that you have no idea about? I'm not an ex-pat (Yet), I'm a 22 year old international business and banking student on his final year in the UK. Guranteed I have much more knowledge then you, more money then you, live in a nicer house then you and have a better motorbike then you which you seem obsessed about with JRD's.

So why don't you do your self a favour and go sit in a hole?

:D International Bus Student recommending illegal activity's, doubt you have more money than me at 22, probably still live with mum and dad, I own 3 house's and a Condo 1 house and Condo here in Thailand and 2 house's in Melborne which are rented. I dont have a motortbike I have a nice white Toyota Fortuner here. The JRD is the old bike you are trying to rent without the correct paperwork (Visa and Workpermit) or insurance, I would not rent one of these cheap bikes let alone buy one. HAVE A NICE DAY. :D

Edited by alina

• 4 months later...

there's little love in the world for tea drinkers, a cafe with a decent tea selection would be good - no idea if it would make money though

various green, white, black, herbal, chai, hot, iced selections - lots of options yet most places will have some low quality tea bag

I went into a small shop in BKK that was selling GNC type products, energy weight lifting type powder. The place was filled with boxes of the stuff he was mailing, he was swamped with business. This looked to be a wholesale business more than retail.

As these fat little xbox loving thai kids get older there will be even more of a demand for fitness products and gyms.

Interesting topic here, hope to see some positive input for the OP.