Vespa Back, And Sales Exceed Expectations

webfact

• 1 month later...

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, Sym is Taiwanese, and they are indeed available in Thailand. Think the Sym Fiddle II featured a week ago on Motorcycle Thailand.

But lets face it... Theres a few bikes there that have yet to make the roads ??

What do you mean by that? The SYM's are already being sold in Thailand. Have been for some time, I think I first saw the Fiddle II a month ago at the Kawa dealer in CM. From the SYM website, I learned that they come in 50 and 125cc.

SYM has meanwhile disappeared from the showroom. Lack of interest, perhaps...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

You can expect 27km/litre from the carb LX150 and same goes for the fuel injected GTS300. Performance. 2 worlds apart for obvious reasons. In Malaysia, the LX150 is about 100,000baht and the GTS300 is 350,000baht.

While I like the Vespa best, from all the scooters presently available in Thailand, a few things

still hold me back.

-Both, the 125cc and the 150cc LX models have a carburetter, and are not fuel injected like Scoopy and PCX

-Due to the apparently lean carburettor settings, acceleration pick-up seams a little slow at first and morning

start-ups are not as instant and smooth.

-Brakes are not as good as on the PCX

-The Vespa is a one piece metal construction and in case of an accident, repairs are inherently more difficult and costly.

-The rear tire, according to Vespa 150LX owners, lasts only about 5000 KM and costs about 3,000.- (Pirelli)

Besides all of the above, the Vespa is the classic, sitting position is much better for a large individual as either

Scoopy or PCX, you get the bag-hook & the under-seat storage, and the solid build.

So, perhaps some feedback from an owner on consumption and driving impressions would be nice.

Thanks.

Edited by thai4me

I own and ride both the Italian and Vietnamese made LX150. In my opinion, the parts are visibly better made from the Italian origins. The ride is much much smoother and have better finishing. The suspension is better and more noticeable on bumpy roads. You will also notice the light lenses are much clearer and finer in the Italian model.

However, having said that, it cost 170,000baht for the Italian version and cost 100,000baht for the Vietnamese. I guess you get what you pay. Italy no longer assemble the carb version of the LX150. They only make the LX150ie version which is the fuel injected version.

325,000 Bht for the Vespa GT300 is pretty cheap, Yamaha sells a scooter in Thailand for 550,000 Bht.

I love the whole "justifying the price" thing going on here - keep it up guys. Makes me feel much better spending 100k on a scooter ;)

By the way no buyer's remorse here, I get to look at her every day in the yard, and she makes me smile. So pretty. Crappy parts? Who cares, we'll replace them when they break. The buttons specifically look high quality to me, similar to the ones on the PCX. We shall see how she holds up.

I have learned that 99 percent of the people who say things like "crappy parts" or "bad quality", etc...etc... never been closer than 5 meters to the product they so condemn. Motivation for saying stuff like that is mostly jealousy or envy.

If anyone in the Bangkok/Nonthaburi area is interested in Vespas, let me know. We sell Vespas out of one of our dealerships (Akecycle) on Tiwanon Rd., just behind Muang Tong Thanni. The website is www.akecycle.com . It is in Thai, but there are some really nice photos. Financing and home delivery are available.

I've just placed a deposit on a Vespa GTS 300 Supersport Titanium. Its a limited edition (27 in Thailand) and looks very retro. I'll post a road test next Saturday. I'm sure it will prove an excellent stable mate to my Er6n.

post-17907-0-85803800-1301730693_thumb.j

Wow Zeus that Akrapovic looks good. I've spent some dosh on a smoked fly screen, front chrome luggage rack and rear chrome luggage rack.Performance mods can wait for a while. The guys in my estate don't really get Vespas. I guess you're either a fan or your not!

Well I picked up my Vespa 300 GTS Super Sport today as it was Chakri day and I had a day off. I thought I'd give a little road test report. I've never had a scooter before so I had to get used to the centre stand in the dealership. After looking like a complete plonker for a while I finally got the hang of it.

First impressions of the bike; what really surprised me was the sheer size of it. I can't get my feet flat (5 feet 9) and I can with my ER6n. Its pretty nippy and far faster than the other scooters on the road. The rest of the scooter bike population look a bit amazed as you pass them, kind of like, what was that that just passed me? The Vespa is very comfortable and stable. I only took it up to 120 KPH, I guess it will probably max out at about 140 KPH. I've heard that it gets faster when everything beds in with the engine. The ride is very good, although it doesn't deal with the bumps as well as the ER6n. The brakes are extremely strong, although it gets a bit of getting used to having a hand operated rear brake.

I was amazed by the response of other people to it. I've bought both the Kawa Ninja 250 and ER6n when they were both launched and they created a bit of a stir but the Vespa is in a different league. I popped into a restaurant in Ban Chang with the Missus and I heard talk of Vespa among the waitresses and then they were all outside taking photos. It was the same thing in my housing estate as well.

My only problems now are that my accessories for the bike are going to take a couple of months. The other problem is what to wear on a Vespa? I feel like a bit of a plonker wearing my Arai, amroured jacket, Kevlar jeans, boots and gloves. What do you wear in Thailand on a Vespa? Oh I'll post some pics at the weekend.

Big guns. You will get used to full gear on a vespa. You will be happy if and when the unthinkable happens. Inevitably, you will get funny stares from everyone everytime. Once you get used to the stares, it will be oblivious.

I never go out without my full face. Rx7 for longer rides and multitec for city runs.

Enjoy your ride.

I read the manual for my Vespa 300 GTS and it states that you should use petrol minimum grade 95 Octane. In Thailand the 95 grade is gasohol, I don't know if you can still buy 100% petrol 95 grade. Can I use 91 petrol (not gasohol) or should I use 95 gasohol? Are either of these types of fuel likely to damage the engine? Cheers

In Malaysia, we have either RON95 or 97. No gasohol.

If I understand RON correctly, you should use the 95. The RON number relates to when the engine will start knocking. Gasohol or not does not matter. Just as long it is combustible. Just my 2cents.

Better check with your dealer. You vespa may have been homologated to Thai conditions already.

Can you also take note when you go for your 1000km service, check if they replace the hub lube. It is listed in the service manual. But in Malaysia, the main distributor only replace it at 5000km. I have checked with people at modernvespa.com ,the follow the manual.