Buying A New Laptop

zorro1

I saw that one as well. I opted for this one. I don't need a big HDD and also trying to save on a little battery life with the 5400RPM. Other than that, it is basically the same. I can upgrade this later if I need to, but this Corei5 and the 4GB of ram is really fast. Oh yes, and I forgot to say it has an HDMI port. The only real difference between our models, other than the hard drive, is that I think yours may have a headset and separate mic input. Mine has 1 for both. Yours maybe the same though.Also, forgot to mention the Face Recognition software. You don't have to put your password in when Windows starts. It turns on your webcam, looks at your face and logs you in.

Edited by ajarnfalang

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for gettng back on topic for those of us actually interested in purchasing new laptops.

I was wondering about the Toshiba factor, are parts pricier than most or are these things all pretty interchangeable? A friend of mine swears by Asus while another one wouldn't touch Lenovo with a ten foot pole.

So, is it really all subjective?

I do appreciate the earlier link to squaretrade's report on laptop reliability so I do get there are varying degrees of "good" laptops.

And does anyone have an opinion on refurb?

Yes, lets stay on topic. It's better that way, and it shows this little thing called "respect" to the OP :P

Most likely the parts costs the same for any manufacturer to produce. The price differences, if any, if mostly policy and partly how large of a presence they have in the local market.

Build quality is actually not subjective, however, what is subjective is personal experience. If you buy brand <x> and you see nothing but grief, you will of course not be happy, and to you brand <x> sucks. I try to gather as much data as I can before making any suggestions (You'd be working hard to get a recommendation out of me.) and so far the data I have agrees with the data of the report linked in this thread.

Personally I wouldn't buy refurb computers of any kind. It's not the same as buying a 2nd hand car.

If you get a full 1 year warranty, then it might be less of a risk, but even then please make sure that several parts are brand new (eg. HDD, DVD/CD-ROM, keyboard, touchpad). I'm also hesitant about the LCD as they tend to dim over time. If the mainboard goes bad, you might look at a costly replacement. I'd be wondering why it was refurbished in the first place...

get an Asus:::

i have had mine for 2 years and run all copy software, ( since using computer have never paid for original software), I use avg, ad-aware and spy search.

I just brought another Asus for my daughter with the wide 14 " screen which is great 350 hard drive 2 gig ram all the goodies included. 18,000 baht!!

they have bigger screens as well and great service.

Wow looks like its an ASUS!!

heading to pantip now to have a look. Like I said i just need a laptop for trading and surfing with largest screen possible thats about it. Thanks for all the input and will report on what I bought.

Hot dam_n, that ASUS (post #30) looks to be a winner!

BTW, what is the storage limit for laptop hard drives nowadays?

I have a big collection of 720p movies, naturally I'd prefer high capacity drives (1TB or more).

Get an external drive, I have 2TB in my desktop and have been moving a lot off to other drives although it is mostly 1080P stuff. If I have it in the right format I can plug the USB external drive into the TV and play it.

Well I bought the LENOVO IDEALPAD Y550 15.6"

images.jpg

very quick and easy to use. Specs below paid 23500bht fully loaded windows 7 non gen of course at pantip

specs

* Intel Core 2 Duo T6400 processor

* 4GB DDR3 RAM

* 320 GB hard drive

* Intel GMA X4500MHD integrated graphics

* 1,366 x 768 resolution display

* DVD burner

* LED backlight

* 1.3 megapixel webcam

* 802.11n Wi-Fi connectivity

* Integrated stereo speakers and subwoofer with Dolby Home Theater 2 technology

Edited by zorro1

images.jpg

very quick and easy to use. Specs below paid 23500bht fully loaded windows 7 non gen of course at pantip

specs

* 4GB DDR3 RAM

* 320 GB hard drive

* DVD burner

* LED backlight

* 1.3 megapixel webcam

Ideapad :) no L ;)

Looks like enough for everyday computing. I think the Corei3 Lenovo Thinkpad Edge was about the same. Much better keyboard. I would have gotten that one, but it is only integrated graphics and I need more. But that's just me.

The keys are dipped, chunky and perfectly spaced. Best keyboard of any laptop. I recommend for anyone who doesn't care about high end specs (gaming, 3D, Photoshop) and it is looking for just everyday work. The Corei3 is a great buy.

thinkpad-edge-05-big.jpg

lenovo-thinkpad-edge-series_keyboard.jpg

lenovo_thinkpad_edge_colors.jpg

That being said, my friend has an Ideapad Y series too and is very happy with it.

If you have any problems, they have a Lenovo repair center upstairs in Pantip at the back.

I'll never have another cracked Windows in my computer. It's just an extra 3,600 baht. When they come out with the patches and stuff to cracked down on people I don't have to worry about it.

You have 64bit installed for sure, so that should also help with performance. Don't you love Windows 7? It is night and day from XP. I go to my XP desktop now and it is like going back 15 years.

Edited by ajarnfalang

Hot dam_n, that ASUS (post #30) looks to be a winner!

BTW, what is the storage limit for laptop hard drives nowadays?

I have a big collection of 720p movies, naturally I'd prefer high capacity drives (1TB or more).

Get an external drive, I have 2TB in my desktop and have been moving a lot off to other drives although it is mostly 1080P stuff. If I have it in the right format I can plug the USB external drive into the TV and play it.

1 TB 2.5 inch drives available now albeit slower rpm.

images.jpg

specs

* 4GB DDR3 RAM

* 320 GB hard drive

* DVD burner

* LED backlight

* 1.3 megapixel webcam

Looks like enough for everyday computing. I think the Corei3 Lenovo Thinkpad Edge was about the same. Much better keyboard. I would have gotten that one, but it is only integrated graphics and I need more. But that's just me.

The keys are dipped, chunky and perfectly spaced. Best keyboard of any laptop. I recommend for anyone who doesn't care about high end specs (gaming, 3D, Photoshop) and it is looking for just everyday work. The Corei3 is a great buy.

thinkpad-edge-05-big.jpg

That being said, my friend has an Ideapad Y series too and is very happy with it.

If you have any problems, they have a Lenovo repair center upstairs in Pantip at the back.

I'll never have another cracked Windows in my computer. It's just an extra 3,600 baht. When they come out with the patches and stuff to cracked down on people I don't have to worry about it.

You have 64bit installed for sure, so that should also help with performance. Don't you love Windows 7? It is night and day from XP. I go to my XP desktop now and it is like going back 15 years.

Hi

just about every keyboard in this price range failed the "flex test' by pressing down on middle of keyboard

I actually remeber using the Corei3 Lenovo Thinkpad Edge and was very impressed by the keyboard was rock solid, unfortunatley it didnt come in a 15.6' screen which was my main buying criteria

Im using firefox. May give window 7 a try.

Love this laptop dont know why but either TOT has upgraded its broadband or this just flies.

the only downside I can see is the key board is a bit flexible on the extreme left on letters azq and cap lock . Thanks for the info on repairs at pantip , I wonder if they do new keyboards? have thrown away old laptops because of keyboard issues.

Edited by zorro1

images.jpg

very quick and easy to use. Specs below paid 23500bht fully loaded windows 7  non gen of course at pantip

specs

* 4GB DDR3 RAM

* 320 GB hard drive

* DVD burner

* LED backlight

* 1.3 megapixel webcam

thinkpad-edge-05-big.jpg

Hi

I actually remeber using the Corei3 Lenovo Thinkpad Edge and was very impressed by the keyboard was rock solid, unfortunatley it didnt come in a 15.6' screen which was my main buying criteria

Im using firefox. May give window 7 a try.

Love this laptop dont know why but either TOT has upgraded its broadband or this just flies.

the only downside I can see is the key board is a bit flexible on the extreme left on letters azq and cap lock . Thanks for the info on repairs at pantip , I wonder if they do new keyboards? have thrown away old laptops because of keyboard issues.

Take a look at the new V Series which is IMO a blend of the EDGE and Y Series.

http://www.ideapadtoday.com/lenovo-business-meets-lenovo-consumer-new-ideapad-v460-small-business-laptop.htm

looks good, amazing how low the pricing is these days. Its only a 14inch screen though and I need wide screen for trading markets. So many great choices in 14inch is mind boggling could have spent a week at pantip :)

Noticed this deal from Office Depot today, special about 16,000 baht prior to shipping, but with international travelers warranty...

Acer Aspire 15.6" HD Notebook Reg: $629.99

Save 21% :$130.00

Your Price: $499.99

Ships in: 1 to 3 days

Item #: 22330416

Manufacturer #: AS5741-5763 LX.PW002.025

Powered by an Intel Core i3-350M processor, 4096MB DDR3 Dual-Channel 1066MHz Memory, 320GB 5400PM SATA Hard drive, 15.6" HD Widescreen Cine Crystal LCD Display, Windows® 7 Home Premium 64 Bit, 1-year Limited Warranty

Features

• Intel Core¿ i3-350M processor
  • 4096MB DDR3 Dual-Channel 1066MHz Memory
  • 320GB 5400PM SATA Hard drive
  • 15.6" HD Widescreen Cine Crystal¿ LCD Display
  • 802.11 b/g/n WiFi CERTIFIED¿ wireless connectivity and Gigabit Ethernet LAN
  • 1.3 Megapixel HD Webcam
  • Windows® 7 Home Premium 64 Bit
  • 1-year Limited Warranty

I just bought a Toshiba Qosmio F60 and it doesn't disappoint.. . ... aside from its ugly cover.

15.4 inch screen

i7-740QM (1.73GHz with turbo boost tech up to 2.93GHz)

8 gigs RAM

640 HDD (SATA) with shock absorbers

GeForce 330M with 1gig virtual RAM

harman/kardon stereo speakers

Windows® 7 Home Premium 64 Bit

Blu-ray RW drive

Noticed this deal from Office Depot today, special about 16,000 baht prior to shipping, but with international travelers warranty...

Acer Aspire 15.6" HD Notebook Reg: $629.99

Save 21% :$130.00

Your Price: $499.99

Ships in: 1 to 3 days

Item #: 22330416

Manufacturer #: AS5741-5763 LX.PW002.025

Powered by an Intel Core i3-350M processor, 4096MB DDR3 Dual-Channel 1066MHz Memory, 320GB 5400PM SATA Hard drive, 15.6" HD Widescreen Cine Crystal LCD Display, Windows® 7 Home Premium 64 Bit, 1-year Limited Warranty

Features

• Intel Core¿ i3-350M processor
  • 4096MB DDR3 Dual-Channel 1066MHz Memory
  • 320GB 5400PM SATA Hard drive
  • 15.6" HD Widescreen Cine Crystal¿ LCD Display
  • 802.11 b/g/n WiFi CERTIFIED¿ wireless connectivity and Gigabit Ethernet LAN
  • 1.3 Megapixel HD Webcam
  • Windows® 7 Home Premium 64 Bit
  • 1-year Limited Warranty

Thats in the usa right? Dont know if they ship to thailand and then have to pay duties? looks a good deal

Yes, Office Depot is USA based... but you can order anything via their web site, no problem...

I don't believe they'll ship PCs/laptops direct to Thailand, though you might check their web site re that...

However, many U.S. folks have accounts with shipping/forwarding services in the U.S. So anything they buy online in the U.S. gets shipped to their local U.S. address, and then forwarded on to Thailand (of course at some extra cost). A laptop, not weighing so much, wouldn't be very costly for shipping to Thailand.

The somewhat unknown/unpredictable factor is the end result duties and fees imposed, apart from the 7% Thailand VAT. Thai customs is pretty unpredictable about that. Based on many reports here, shipping via U.S.P.S. to Thai post is likely to avoid duties. Shipping via carriers like DHL and UPS is reported to often carry heavy duties.

One TV member recently reported getting FedEx to deliver a laptop for the delivery fee only plus 7% VAT, though I find it a bit un-credible to believe he was charged no duties on a new laptop (not refurbished or used) going thru FedEx.

I should have added, a hobbled version of the full Office Depot stores are here in Thailand as a franchisee under Central Retail...

Here's a Google Translated version of their web site for laptop PCs showing the models they stock and their prices, by comparison.

http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.officedepot.co.th%2FStore%2FProduct.aspx%3FCat_ID%3D201749%26Att_ID%3DNull%26Att_Value%3DNull%26Brand_ID%3D0%26Search_Mode%3D0&sl=th&tl=en&hl=&ie=UTF-8

The Office Depot web site here shows a variety of models priced at between 17,000 and nearly 29,000 baht.

Large HD screen usually means a high end notebook. I can only recommend the MacBook Pro 17" - have had one for 18 months now and zero problems. This computer looks and runs like new 18 months on. For a laptop that gets used and carried in a backpack every day, that's incredible. If Windows is what you must use, you can install that too. In terms of hardware / reliability this computer is the best I ever had.

I am a big fan of thinkpads also but it seems to me as if Lenovo is abandoning the Thai market. Here is their Thinkpad website for Thailand:

http://shopap.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/phweb/LenovoPortal/en_PH/catalog.workflow:expandcategory?issBase=ProductsCategory&issCategory=/Notebooks/ThinkPad%20Notebooks

Note: 3 of those come with "Windows Vista" - old models then. They have Core 2 Duos, and an AMD processor too, no Core series. So all this stuff is old. Have they given up on the ThinkPad? Would be a shame as ThinkPad was by and far the best built laptop out there. Rivalled maybe only by the new unibody MacBook Pros (the old MacBook Pros, before the unibody design were all right but no match).

Edit: ThinkPad is alive and well in the USA, pretty reasonably choices, and 15" displays with 1600x or 1920x display resolution!

Asus has a pretty good reputation for quality.

Acer used to make business quality laptops but looks like they have given up on that too now. Haven't seen a TravelMate 8xxx series in years. An Acer TravelMate 803 was my previous record holder for quality, zero issues in 1 year of ownership - then I had to return it to my employer, sadly.

Other than that I agree with filingaccounts post up there, spot on. People run huge AV suites that kill their system yet don't really protect them from that virus that came on their friend's USB flash drive... if you use Windows, you need to be careful.

Edit: Ideapad - wow it's certainly cheap, not so impressed with the display, I have 1920x1200 on 17" ... and the keyboard... well you get what you pay for ;)

Edited by nikster

Large HD screen usually means a high end notebook. I can only recommend the MacBook Pro 17" - have had one for 18 months now and zero problems. This computer looks and runs like new 18 months on. For a laptop that gets used and carried in a backpack every day, that's incredible. If Windows is what you must use, you can install that too. In terms of hardware / reliability this computer is the best I ever had.

I am a big fan of thinkpads also but it seems to me as if Lenovo is abandoning the Thai market. Here is their Thinkpad website for Thailand:

http://shopap.lenovo...Pad%20Notebooks

Note: 3 of those come with "Windows Vista" - old models then. They have Core 2 Duos, and an AMD processor too, no Core series. So all this stuff is old. Have they given up on the ThinkPad? Would be a shame as ThinkPad was by and far the best built laptop out there. Rivalled maybe only by the new unibody MacBook Pros (the old MacBook Pros, before the unibody design were all right but no match).

Edit: ThinkPad is alive and well in the USA, pretty reasonably choices, and 15" displays with 1600x or 1920x display resolution!

Asus has a pretty good reputation for quality.

Acer used to make business quality laptops but looks like they have given up on that too now. Haven't seen a TravelMate 8xxx series in years. An Acer TravelMate 803 was my previous record holder for quality, zero issues in 1 year of ownership - then I had to return it to my employer, sadly.

Other than that I agree with filingaccounts post up there, spot on. People run huge AV suites that kill their system yet don't really protect them from that virus that came on their friend's USB flash drive... if you use Windows, you need to be careful.

Edit: Ideapad - wow it's certainly cheap, not so impressed with the display, I have 1920x1200 on 17" ... and the keyboard... well you get what you pay for ;)

The Thinkpad link you posted was for the Philippines : here is the one to the thai site

http://shopap.lenovo...Pad%20Notebooks

Looks to me like they are only expanding their Thinkpad range, not reducing it :whistling:

Edited by bkkjames

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought a Lenovo idea pad from the Mall in Korat. It came with legit XP home. That was part of the reason for buying it. I heard though that they were related to the thinkpad which is reputedly the toughest notebook ever. I've had several "fails" on my Compaq presario and despite its extra speed and size I will be happy to just use this for all my portable needs now as its got a much longer battery life and should be up to being moved around a lot. So far the only thing thats getting to me is the slightly smaller keyboard which I can use but am getting some aches when typing even just this much so I will have to pace myself when writing my thesis.

If its half as tough as legend has it, I bought the right choice and I have to say Lenovo showed no sign of powering down their sales in Korat. They had a range of notebooks with the latest specs. I considered the Samsung, and Asus as I heard they were tough too, but the 6 cell long battery life and pre installed proper windows made me go for the rather brightly coloured ltd edition Lenovo.

• 2 weeks later...

is it possible to plug in my new laptop into the plasama tv and display the internet page there?

Most likely yes but it depends on your plasma. Have a look on the back is there a PC in? HDMI in? if hdmi only does your laptop have hdmi or an adapter.

It's a little bit more complicated, I'd say...

There are a couple main issues....

1. Does the laptop you're using have a video adapter/card that supports what's called "video out," which is the ability to direct a clone copy of your laptop display onto an external display. Most laptops these days probably do, but not all... And then, what kind of video out port does the laptop have... traditional VGA (older), DVI (middle) or HDMI (most recent).... So you need to look at the video display settings (and/or the documentation) on your laptop and confirm it supports "video out", which means running two or more simultaneous displays.

2. Then, as mentioned above, you have to identify what kind of "video in" connections your TV has available. On any newer TV, there probably are going to be several different connections available, and usually of several different varieties... Newer TVs almost certainly are going to have one or more HDMI ports, and well as traditional RCA style ports (the same kind used on stereos) and sometimes component ports.

--If you have an HDMI out on the laptop and HDMI in on the TV, then you just need a single HDMI cable to carry the video and audio between the two.

--if you have a VGA port out on the laptop, then most likely you'd use a two pronged cable on the laptop end (a VGA connector to carry the video and a stereo mini plug connector to carry the audio from your headphone or speakers jack). Then on the PC end, you'd use the RCA connections with a three prong cable (red and white or black for the audio and yellow for the video)

Audio video stores certainly are going to stock the HDMI cables, and you also can find the VGA/mini-plug stereo to RCA cable at accessory places like Pantip or FortuneTown IT.

Then, after you've got all the correct connections and cable and everything plugged in, you'll need to go into the display settings on your monitor and change the settings to enable the second display, and set things like what the screen resolution will be on the TV display. You'll also have to identify the correct buttons on your TV remote control to change its display from the default/#1 channel for cable or satellite or whatever to the 2nd/3rd/4th video channel (corresponding to whichever number port on the TV you've fed the laptop video into).

Then you go to the refrigerator to get a cold beer... :)

1. Does the laptop you're using have a video adapter/card that supports what's called "video out," which is the ability to direct a clone copy of your laptop display onto an external display. Most laptops these days probably do, but not all... And then, what kind of video out port does the laptop have... traditional VGA (older), DVI (middle) or HDMI (most recent).... So you need to look at the video display settings (and/or the documentation) on your laptop and confirm it supports "video out", which means running two or more simultaneous displays.

2. Then, as mentioned above, you have to identify what kind of "video in" connections your TV has available. On any newer TV, there probably are going to be several different connections available, and usually of several different varieties... Newer TVs almost certainly are going to have one or more HDMI ports, and well as traditional RCA style ports (the same kind used on stereos) and sometimes component ports.

--If you have an HDMI out on the laptop and HDMI in on the TV, then you just need a single HDMI cable to carry the video and audio between the two.

--if you have a VGA port out on the laptop, then most likely you'd use a two pronged cable on the laptop end (a VGA connector to carry the video and a stereo mini plug connector to carry the audio from your headphone or speakers jack). Then on the PC end, you'd use the RCA connections with a three prong cable (red and white or black for the audio and yellow for the video)

Audio video stores certainly are going to stock the HDMI cables, and you also can find the VGA/mini-plug stereo to RCA cable at accessory places like Pantip or FortuneTown IT.

Then, after you've got all the correct connections and cable and everything plugged in, you'll need to go into the display settings on your monitor and change the settings to enable the second display, and set things like what the screen resolution will be on the TV display. You'll also have to identify the correct buttons on your TV remote control to change its display from the default/#1 channel for cable or satellite or whatever to the 2nd/3rd/4th video channel (corresponding to whichever number port on the TV you've fed the laptop video into).

:o I may need a cold beer after just reading that.

I have been away so will check out the manual when Im back. suppose I could always pay a geek from pantip to do it

:o I may need a cold beer after just reading that.

I have been away so will check out the manual when Im back. suppose I could always pay a geek from pantip to do it

Have look when you get back, normally is not that complicated. Don't know why people try to make mountains out of mole hills for the sake of it.

It's not complicated, as long as the person doing it knows what they've got, and what to do with it....

But since the OP didn't specify the hardware connection details of the TV and laptop, talking about the setup requires covering the different possibilities...

If anything I mentioned above isn't correct or applicable in the OP's stated situation, please do correct me, Gary....

And at least on my laptops, which are set up that way, once you've plugged in the correct cables, they don't just auto-configure to show the second display as a clone, nor does the TV somehow automatically change from displaying the main video channel to the secondary one carrying your PC output. At least on my hardware, you've got to manually select the correct video settings on the laptop and then manually change the TV video channel .