Pm Abhisit Cancels Emergency Decree In 6 More Provinces

webfact

Thailand to end emergency rule in six provinces: PM

BANGKOK (AFP) -- Thailand's premier said Thursday he would end emergency rule in six provinces but maintain the strict laws in Bangkok, where a weekend bomb blast rekindled tensions in the wake of deadly street protests.

The emergency decree, which bans public gatherings of more than five people and gives security forces the right to detain suspects for 30 days without charge, will remain in place in 10 provinces, out of a total of 76.

Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva said he would revoke the emergency laws in Chonburi, Ayutthaya, Nong Bua Lam Phu, Maha Sarakham, Mukdahan and Chaiyaphum in central and northeastern Thailand on the advice of security officials.

Abhisit has pledged to roll back the state of emergency gradually, saying it is still needed in the capital after a weekend bomb attack at a Bangkok bus stop killed one person and wounded 10.

Defence Minister Prawit Wongsuwon told AFP on Thursday that security officials were confident they could handle the situation in the areas where the state of emergency has been lifted.

"All of the state security agencies... said there is little political movement in these provinces," he said.

The government has come under pressure from the United States and rights groups to end emergency rule to help the country recover from deadly civil unrest that has left it deeply divided.

Authorities have used the powers -- introduced in Bangkok on April 7 -- to arrest hundreds of Red Shirt suspects and silence anti-government media.

The protests by the Reds, many of whom back fugitive ex-premier Thaksin Shinawatra, attracted up to 100,000 people demanding immediate elections but were crushed by the army in a bloody crackdown in May.

About 90 people died and some 1,900 were injured in a series of street clashes between armed troops and demonstrators.

Critics say the government may in effect be fanning the crisis as it clamps down and censors the protest movement rather than addressing its grievances.

A separate state of emergency has been in place since 2005 in three Muslim-majority southern provinces where a separatist insurgency has left more than 4,100 people dead in six years, with no end in sight to the violence.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2010-07-29

PM Cancels Emergency Decree in 6 More Provinces

The prime minister has signed an order canceling the emergency decree in Ayutthaya, Chonburi, Nhong Bua Lampoo, Mukdahan, Chaiyaphum, and Maha Sarakham provinces.

Ten provinces, including Bangkok, remain under the State of Emergency.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2010-07-29

footer_n.gif

what a much better than average leader the PM is

we r so blessed to have him

I say get the murders of the 90 innocent people found and tried so that my family stop asking me why our government are hiding the truth.

I wonder if the majority of people voting in Chonburi a couple of days ago, i.e., those who didn't vote for the red, dare to wear pink or yellow now when they didn't dare to do it when they voted.

Anyone think that it is strange that only red showed their colours during the election even though they got the minority of the votes?

I wonder if the majority of people voting in Chonburi a couple of days ago, i.e., those who didn't vote for the red, dare to wear pink or yellow now when they didn't dare to do it when they voted.

Anyone think that it is strange that only red showed their colours during the election even though they got the minority of the votes?

Not strange at all in the west - most bad ass gangs wear colours but decent citizens don't.

I say get the murders of the 90 innocent people found and tried so that my family stop asking me why our government are hiding the truth.

Are your family educated ?

Not strange at all in the west - most bad ass gangs wear colours but decent citizens don't.

What seems a bit strange with TV is that there are some westerners here who think that the Thai gang wearing the colour red are a majority of the population

I wonder if they think that the bad ass gangs wearing colours in America are the majority of the population there too :D

Edited by MikeyIdea

Something is fishy about this story they lifted the decree 2 weeks ago for Pattaya and is not Pattaya in Chonburi?

And some information that was passed along quietly has been Censored, Wikileak-org was blocked by CRES for a few days but was opened back up this afternoon.

Oh and yea Red Shirts are the majority MikeyIdea

Funny I was just about to ask the same thing and how can you call all 90 innocent?

Something is fishy about this story they lifted the decree 2 weeks ago for Pattaya and is not Pattaya in Chonburi?

And some information that was passed along quietly has been Censored, Wikileak-org was blocked by CRES for a few days but was opened back up this afternoon.

If red shirts are the majority how come they got a minority vote?

When? Where?

Ive got family & friends arriving in Chiangmai from overseas soon and we could end up in jail if we're seen together, so we might have to split up into two small groups and pretend we don't know each other. Ill have to reasure my family that there's absolutely nothing to be paranoid about, just dont wear any red, pick your nose or spit in public, have eye contact with anyone, try not to look suspicious, walk with your head down, dont frown.....or smile too much, speak quietly and pretend we dont know each other.......because for any reason what so ever, actually no reason is necessary for the Authorities to arrest us and lock us up in Klong Prem prison for a month. Apart from that I dont want them to worry at all, its all good, I just want them to enjoy their stay here in LOS:jap:

<quote name='meelousee' timestamp='1280410877' post='3782284'

Oh and yea Red Shirts are the majority MikeyIdea /quote>

When? Where?

Was that why they got 37% of the votes in the 2005 election?

And that was before they burnt the capital city of Thailand...

Edited by MikeyIdea

Ive got family & friends arriving in Chiangmai from overseas soon and we could end up in jail if we're seen together, so we might have to split up into two small groups and pretend we don't know each other. Ill have to reasure my family that there's absolutely nothing to be paranoid about, just dont wear any red, pick your nose or spit in public, have eye contact with anyone, try not to look suspicious, walk with your head down, dont frown.....or smile too much, speak quietly and pretend we dont know each other.......because for any reason what so ever, actually no reason is necessary for the Authorities to arrest us and lock us up in Klong Prem prison for a month. Apart from that I dont want them to worry at all, its all good, I just want them to enjoy their stay here in LOS:jap:

You don't happen to be somewhat nervous and prone to over reaction, would you?

I was here during Sujinda and am still here and what you describe is not going to happen in Thailand. Which country are you talking about? :D

Edited by MikeyIdea

Are you for real ? It was only because of the remarkable tolerance of the government that many more of these armed and violent hired thugs were not sent to a better place !

Are yours ?

Are you for real ? It was only because of the remarkable tolerance of the government that many more of these armed and violent hired thugs were not sent to a better place !

The remarkable "tolerance of the government" that is probably the first in Asia that has used snipers as a means of crowd control...

81,000 people have just voted for an accused terrorist.

Think about it.

So how many of those killed were armed? If you don't know give an estimate of what you think.

The remarkable "tolerance of the government" that is probably the first in Asia that has used snipers as a means of crowd control...

81,000 people have just voted for an accused terrorist.

Think about it.

81,000 people think it's OK to hold a government to ransom, that it's ok to kill innocent people at train stations with grenades, and that it's ok to burn down buildings in Bangkok.

So how many of those killed were armed? If you don't know give an estimate of what you think.

I don't think any one knows how many were armed, but IMO most of those killed were around and supporting armed red shirts.

i'd like to take this opportunity to invite all readers to re read this shat and have a think about other people for a change.

red shirts yellow shirts, bla bla bla. 90 percent of the Thai population does not even own one rai of land

YOU are the ones perpetuating this shit.

people dont want to get the shitty end of the stick forever. 90 percent of the Thai population does not even own one rai of land

just cos ur comfortable, doesnt mean we/i/they etc. are....understand?? 90 percent of the Thai population does not even own one rai of land

the majority of ANY country are the 'ignored'. 90 percent of the Thai population does not even own one rai of land

forget shirt colours and singular perspectives... unless ur desire is to incite discord.

people want justice, fairness, transparency, its only fair. 90 percent of the Thai population does not even own one rai of land

im disgusted.

by the attitudes of the 'haves'. 90 percent of the Thai population does not even own one rai of land

ef

by all means, continue to pour more garbage down the eyeholes of the readers. 90 percent of the Thai population does not even own one rai of land

Edited by edgarfriendly
  • Like 1

So are you saying the 90 victims were armed and violent hired thugs?

Do you have pictures to support your claim?

I have pictures of some of the dead, you want some? :o