Is Bangkok Really The World's Best City For Visitors?

webfact

Some in fact consider the horrendous traffic and the adrenalin-rush of riding through the polluted streets and sois on the back of a motorcycle taxi or in a tuk-tuk as an attractive part of their Bangkok adventure

:cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

Too bad they cannot substantiate that claim. Anyone that comes from a city with greenspace, cleanliness, room to move and decent air loathes Bangkok.

Bangkok is as representative of Thailand as is London to England. England has some beautiful places and people but one wouldn't know it from parts of London. Same applies to Bangkok. Thailand has so much better to offer than stinky Bangkok.

My guess is that if someone looked at statistics Bkk is much safer than London or any big city in the U.S. Pollution is part of a big city. The dregs of society live in the big cities all over the world - white collar criminals, drug pushers, drug addicts, prostitutes, etc. I would like someone to begin listing any big city in Europe or the Americas - more than 1 million pop. - that is not polluted from industry & that any safer than the streets of Bkk. Mexico City? L.A.? New York City? Detroit? London? Add some names & we can discuss it. Want to look at pure trash look at the big cities in Africa, Central & South America? Are they safe? Are they not polluted? Is it not dangerous to walk the streets at night? I don't like Bkk mainly b/c of the pollution in the air & the traffic but any big city has the same problems? Think about rat holes like New Delhi, Calcutta or any other city in India? Or the filth in Pakistan? Or the unbearable cold in Moscow or the filth in the cities of China like Shanghai & Beijing or any Asian country for that matter?

If you are looking for a nice and safe city in the Americas: Buenos Aires.

It is more “European” than European cities, which are full of muslims nowadays.

Only, it is not an old city, some two centuries, about the age of Bangkok.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By far NOT the best city in the world. There are thousands of cities much better and with more to offer than this city.

The only outstanding amazing thing is the creativitiy of the people and how they manage to live in it.

BKK in my opinion is a shit hole unless your going for a fun dirty but expensive weekend. Everyone will try and rip you off, tuk tuk's espically, it's expensive, it's dirty, it's hot and wet with no sun. List can go on, if I had to stay there for my time in Thailand I wouldn't be coming back.

100% agree with your post.I would rather live in the jungle than that sess pit.Racism,polution,nastiness,wannabe hi-so farangs,proper hi-so thais,who are beyond the law,traffic congestion,major flooding,rat infested,a bad edge about the place in general,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Then pack your bags and head off to the jungle Tarzan. It never ceases to amaze me at the whining by some foreign residents and tourists alike about the quality of life in BKK and Thailand in general. It seems as though folks like you want 1st world infrastructure, protections, service, etc but at 3rd world prices. A bunch of cry-babies. It is NOT expensive here if you have your head about you, a lick or two of common sense and are willing to adapt to a more indigenous lifestyle. I've been living here 5 years and before here, in Taiwan. You either get acclimated to it and find ways to make it acceptable to you, or don't let the door slap you on your behind as you leave. If it is so bad, why are you still here???

I agree entirely. People just love Thailand and they adore Bangkok. So do the farang residents who are complaining now. One can only read the posts of anger and desperation for the difficulties in renewing the visa or the elation for having done an easy visa run. They dread the thought of having to leave Thailand. Thailand is magic. The same hotel in London would cost 250 pounds compared to 60 dollars. The food is superb, so is the shopping. Taxis appear at the speed of thought. In the advanced west someone must not get sick on the weekend. Why? simple, no doctors available, hospitals are manned with skeleton crews because in the west free time is (and rightly so ) revered. Take the hospitals in Bangkok, they are always fully staffed and available. Mercifully for us they value money more than leisure time so the medical staff are willing to work on weekends and public holidays. For an elderly person like myself this is important equally so for the rest of the farang whose mean age,I suspect, is middle age plus. The same applies for the market place. People are willing to work 7 days a week. So gentlemen enjoy Thailand as it is now because soon things will change. People will want leisure time and higher pay. For them is only fair, for us the beginning of the end of a wonderful story.

Yes, the poll was correct. Bangkok is a super destination

I think the root issue the whiners have is they are trying to live here on a shoestring budget and do as little as possible to better their lot in life. Then there are some of us who actually believe that you make your own place in life and are responsible for your decisions and actions, good or bad. The problem comes in when that sense of responsibility breaks down and people start looking to others to take up the slack; in other words, they are looking for a Free Lunch...not on my nickel.

BKK in my opinion is a shit hole unless your going for a fun dirty but expensive weekend. Everyone will try and rip you off, tuk tuk's espically, it's expensive, it's dirty, it's hot and wet with no sun. List can go on, if I had to stay there for my time in Thailand I wouldn't be coming back.

100% agree with your post.I would rather live in the jungle than that sess pit.Racism,polution,nastiness,wannabe hi-so farangs,proper hi-so thais,who are beyond the law,traffic congestion,major flooding,rat infested,a bad edge about the place in general,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Then pack your bags and head off to the jungle Tarzan. It never ceases to amaze me at the whining by some foreign residents and tourists alike about the quality of life in BKK and Thailand in general. It seems as though folks like you want 1st world infrastructure, protections, service, etc but at 3rd world prices. A bunch of cry-babies. It is NOT expensive here if you have your head about you, a lick or two of common sense and are willing to adapt to a more indigenous lifestyle. I've been living here 5 years and before here, in Taiwan. You either get acclimated to it and find ways to make it acceptable to you, or don't let the door slap you on your behind as you leave. If it is so bad, why are you still here???

Ahh, it never ceases to amaze me how some people will defend any negative comments about Thailand to the hilt. A statement of fact, not opinion, is that BKK is heavily congested and polluted, full of people trying to con you on every corner, plus racism and bad attitute.

However I agree, we cannot change it, but a shit hole it remains, and if you want to live there well you had better like living in a shit hole.

It's like someone who lives in the UK defending the English weather and telling everyone how lovely it is, yeah, just a few days a year it is, the rest it's lousy, as there are a few areas of BKK which are nice, but it's not the general picture.

" full of people trying to con you on every corner, plus racism and bad attitute."

I can fully understand your bad attitude, sounds like you visited only lower Sukhumvit, wont bother asking what you were doing in that part of town.

Often found those that criticise Bkk the most are the ones who cant afford to live there.

What areas of Bkk did you actually visit, make it past soi Cowboy did we, know where Phrom Pong, and Thong Lor are?

Sounds like you are posting from Pattaya, any comment is superfluous.

LOLO!!! The best meals I have eaten are at the sidewalk stalls and they don't charge me anymore than local Thais. Maybe that's because I treat them with kindness and respect, I employ local Thais and contribute more to this country than I take. Try THAT attitude instead of referring to people as private body parts and just maybe your whole outlook will change. Otherwise, good luck finding your "Jane" in the jungle and your incessant whining and complaining will come back at you...

I eat at stalls too and I have more thai friends then farangs, however i'm not a cheap arsehol_e and i'm not going to take my girl to a stall everytime we go for food. You employ thais and give back to Thailand huh? Where abouts, Cowboy? Nana? Maybe i've met one of your employees :lol:/
Ahh, it never ceases to amaze me how some people will defend any negative comments about Thailand to the hilt. A statement of fact, not opinion, is that BKK is heavily congested and polluted, full of people trying to con you on every corner, plus racism and bad attitute.

However I agree, we cannot change it, but a shit hole it remains, and if you want to live there well you had better like living in a shit

" full of people trying to con you on every corner, plus racism and bad attitute."

I can fully understand your bad attitude, sounds like you visited only lower Sukhumvit, wont bother asking what you were doing in that part of town.

Often found those that criticise Bkk the most are the ones who cant afford to live there.

What areas of Bkk did you actually visit, make it past soi Cowboy did we, know where Phrom Pong, and Thong Lor are?

As a matter of fact, i'm quite a fan of staying at Sukhumvit 21/22, don't judge i'm a young guy in my early 20s, not an old man ;) But in all serious no, I've seen a lot of BKK and always get majorly HH homesick.

My first time in Thailand was four years ago. Newly divorced with some walking around money, I thought about different travel destinations. Mexico, too dangerous. Europe, nice, but expensive and being taken over by thugs and Islamists. Africa, hot and corrupt. No way an American would go to any Muslin countries. Russia, China, no way. Vietnam?... bad karma for a army vet. Thailand was a good choice.

I've been to Thailand maybe 18 times since then. I've been married once in a Buddhist ceremony, (paid sin sod and said goodbye) have a son (by another woman), traveled throughout Issan, Kanchanaburi to visit Burmese refugee camps, Chaing Mai, Chaing Rai, Nong Khai to Phuket. But I still get a thrill in Krueng Thep. The city is a large pulsing and vibrant destination. The architecture of the new buildings always thrill me. Do you see this style in Singapore or Shanghai? Only in Bangkok. When a person speaks some Thai, has learned how not to get ripped off, knows some good Thai people, then a stay in the city is always fun. There is no other place in the world as exciting and alive as Bangkok. And people who visit for the first and only time probably really don't mind paying 800 bht for a taxi from the airport. And a tuk tuk ride on Sukhumvit in the traffic is an experience to tell their friends back in Stockholm or Ackron. And how about the street vendors who give you the big smile while calling you a kee nok behind your back. Are these tourists so uppity that they can't laugh and have a good time? I'll stop my rant, but I have to mention the cleanliness of hotels and friendliness of the staff when one pays 1000 bht or less per night. There are exceptions, but I maintain that there is no place in the world to compare with Bangkok.

What amazes me about Bangkok is the cheap eateries. It's fantastic to eat out. Some areas like Khao San Rd are unique. And everything is so cheap. The internet is improving and the infrastructure.

But I agree it sometimes seems a flimsy polluted facade built over a sewer, and I only really got to like the place after developing a strong stomach, and learning to deal with the various and manifold rip off merchants.

The latest move towards bombing innocent people isn't too smart, and generally I don't think military led countries do too well, so regrettably it can't be regarded as tops anymore IMHO because of this.

I prefer Pattaya.

Bangkok doesn't have a beach. As far as I know.

I have only been to Pattaya

Depends on if it rains more than a short while. Suddenly beaches tend to pop up all over BEAUTIFUL BKK, :welcomeani: though they tend to be rimmed with black mud on the edge of filthy sois and a few dead rats floating down the newly formed sea! Strangely enough cars can even be seen to attempt to travel down these new seas!:cheesy:

Agree with all the other negative comments. Bkk is a place to get out of as quickly as possible.

This is the danger in groupthink.

All you bashers - get out now. We don't want you & you give falang a bad name.

Your country of origin is so much better foff please. Bye.:clap2:

People experience a culture shock when they arrive here.Their senses are overwhelmed with "Thai culture". They are unable to process all the sensory imput during their vacationing here. Had they stayed longer they would begin to see the larger picture.:whistling:

It's a readers poll. The majority of respondents voted for Bangkok, can't argue with that. Luckily for everyone who would have voted differently, there are thousands of other cities in the world to choose from.

I would have chosen the same city as number 1.

By the way, the poll had nothing to do with which city was most "livable."

:)

How wrong you are. I only ever visit BKK when I really have to, and none of the places you have mentioned. I am not on holiday and don't visit any of the tourist and nightlife places. I hate the place and only look forward to getting out of there ASAP. It's a serious health risk due to the pollution, and just for that reason alone should never be rated as best city, it shouldn't even be on the list at all. Add to that the unacceptable practice of dual pricing everywhere, illegal in any more advanced countries.

And mister, racism is everywhere in this country and certainly not confined to lower Sukhumvit, BKK, it's in every city  and village, and scams are seen as an acceptable way of life.

So why don't I leave Thailand, dam_n, I wish I could, but home for me now is a distance of both space and time, I am stuck with it as I am too old, just  a sad old man now.

In case you missed it...

The Top 10 cities in the World’s Best Award 2010 are Bangkok (90.30 votes); Chiang Mai (89.53), Florence, Italy (89.17), San Miguel de Allende, Mexico (89.17), Rome, Italy (88.60 ), Sydney, Australia(87.99), Buenos Aires, Argentina (87.98), Oaxaca, Mexico (87.78), Barcelona, Spain (87.71) and New York (87.68).

The questionnaire, which was online from December 15 to March 31, covered such issues as sights, culture and the arts, restaurants and food, people, shopping, and value for money.

Can one of the knowledgeable people here please throw up a list of some of the must see cultural and arts things. Pardon my lack of information, but all I can think of is the National Wat, or even some of the best sights.

TheWalkingMan

For example, the general standard of English comprehension - among drivers and food vendors, can be significantly improved. Currently almost no one in these occupations - who may often come into contact with foreign visitors - has any ability with the world's lingua franca. Bangkok's international schools can perhaps do something to help achieve this goal, as part of a volunteer community service by students. Why not initiate a project whereby students become teachers to ordinary people who deal with tourists, by helping with speaking skills and signage? This could be done by native English speakers

As a native English speaker I certainly would volunteer to teach English to 'drivers and food vendors'! Why not? Because such an activity (even voluntary) requires a work permit. The typically paranoid, anti-foreigner law says something along the lines of "any activity requiring physical or intellectual effort" even IF UNPAID requires a work permit. For this reason, whenever in Thailand I desist from engaging in any intellectual effort, and I find that places me in common with 99.9% of the local population :-)

Bangkok better than any of the great and famous cities in Europe or USA or Asia Pacific????

Another proof that statistics can be totally wrong and useless!

C'mon, are we serious? Bangkok better than Venice or Florence????

Guess the definition of crack-head perfectly suits the writer!

I thought Venice was first created as a sewer system for Northern Italy? how come you think that is better than BKK,

as for Florence, yeah it would be fine if it were'nt for all them noisy eyeties eh!

if you don't like BKK then bugger off,

s'like London, you either love it or hate it

Venice a sewer system for Northen Italy? ahahahaha, that's a good one.

And yes, I'm italian. From the derogatory terms you are using you sound a limey, but from the culture you are showing with your comment, I guess you're an uneducated redneck.

back to the subject, comparing two not huge cities (like Firenze and venezia) to a metropolis is wrong. We should compare BKK to other huge cities (florence

is about 370k people and Venice just 270k).

Why? Pattaya is also a very ugly place, in fact the only real beauty is natural beauty that the Thai's haven't managed to <deleted> up yet. But this was apparently a poll, and BKK won, can't argue with a poll.

I first saw BKK as a tourist and thought it was horrible, but I thought the people were nice as we all do at first. I can best describe foreigners here as like motorcycle riders, there are those who have already fallen and those who have yet to fall, but they all fall in the end. The land of broken dreams and broken hearts. I am surviving, one of the few, because I am pretty hard, but I live with daily stress pain and anguish.

Am I off topic? Sorry. I expect now to get lots of posts telling me to stop moaning and go home, as I am not wanted here, correct, for sure I am not wanted, none of us are, only our money. Anyone who really believes otherwise is deluded!

Even in searing heat, Paris is still one of the most civilised places on earth. Too bad so many French live there.....

Totally politically incorrect, totally true!

Not sure if it's correct either;

have a ride in the Paris Metro and count the frenchmen.

A bit like finding Englishmen in the London tube

it's much easier to find Thais in Bangkok public transport

I first saw BKK as a tourist and thought it was horrible, but I thought the people were nice as we all do at first. I can best describe foreigners here as like motorcycle riders, there are those who have already fallen and those who have yet to fall, but they all fall in the end. The land of broken dreams and broken hearts. I am surviving, one of the few, because I am pretty hard, but I live with daily stress pain and anguish.

Am I off topic? Sorry. I expect now to get lots of posts telling me to stop moaning and go home, as I am not wanted here, correct, for sure I am not wanted

It is not difficult to see why. :blink:

Agree with all the other negative comments. Bkk is a place to get out of as quickly as possible.

This is the danger in groupthink.

All you bashers - get out now. We don't want you & you give falang a bad name.

Your country of origin is so much better foff please. Bye.:clap2:

How can i get out when i am not in Bangkok.Do you realy think i can criticise the sess pit and still live in it.Most farangs have to live there to work,my sincere condolences,as i retired early and dont have to lvie there,i can chose my spot

LOLO!!! The best meals I have eaten are at the sidewalk stalls and they don't charge me anymore than local Thais. Maybe that's because I treat them with kindness and respect, I employ local Thais and contribute more to this country than I take. Try THAT attitude instead of referring to people as private body parts and just maybe your whole outlook will change. Otherwise, good luck finding your "Jane" in the jungle and your incessant whining and complaining will come back at you...

I eat at stalls too and I have more thai friends then farangs, however i'm not a cheap arsehol_e and i'm not going to take my girl to a stall everytime we go for food. You employ thais and give back to Thailand huh? Where abouts, Cowboy? Nana? Maybe i've met one of your employees :lol:/

However I agree, we cannot change it, but a shit hole it remains, and if you want to live there well you had better like living in a shit

As a matter of fact, i'm quite a fan of staying at Sukhumvit 21/22, don't judge i'm a young guy in my early 20s, not an old man ;) But in all serious no, I've seen a lot of BKK and always get majorly HH homesick.

To Sam666--Typical moron shooting his mouth off without loading his brain first. I have a Thai Ltd Co., report all my income as required by both my home country and Thailand and pay all required associated taxes. FYI to you Ajax, 57% of Thailand's economy is underground, income is not reported and associated taxes not paid. How about you, bozo, just what do YOU contribute to Thailand besides a limp dick needing Viagra??? And no, I don't take my GF to food stalls unless she wants to go there. If you want to see an arsehol_e, go look in the mirror.

To Sam666--Typical moron shooting his mouth off without loading his brain first. I have a Thai Ltd Co., report all my income as required by both my home country and Thailand and pay all required associated taxes. FYI to you Ajax, 57% of Thailand's economy is underground, income is not reported and associated taxes not paid. How about you, bozo, just what do YOU contribute to Thailand besides a limp dick needing Viagra??? And no, I don't take my GF to food stalls unless she wants to go there. If you want to see an arsehol_e, go look in the mirror.

FYI Sam666--My Thai Co. is an international consulting co. and no I don't hang out at Soi Cowboy, Nana, ad nauseum. But it is apparent YOU do. What a loser.

Am I off topic? Sorry. I expect now to get lots of posts telling me to stop moaning and go home, as I am not wanted here, correct, for sure I am not wanted

It is not difficult to see why. :blink:

Please don't misquote me, the locals don't want me, you or any foreigner on their land, only the money, fact.

Agreed that Bangkok sidewalk is not made for walking. But most people in Bangkok have cars anyway, so no need to walk.

Are you for real?

No, she is not for real. She is one of Thailand's "want a be hi-so's" that smile at you while they are ripping you off. Just get used to it, TIT and it won't change....ever! I've lived here since 1973 and you just have to learn to adjust with Thai culture, thats all. Thai people in general are some of the nicest, kind, gentle, and loving people you'll find anywhere in the world. There is alot of truth when people say "It's a nice place to visit, but you wouldnt want to live there" statement. For tourism its fantastic, the temples, the shopping, the night life, its all exciting. But for those of us that have business's or homes here its not as glamourous. The constant heat, humidity, noise, pollution, corrupt cops and officials, and the anti-farang attitudes which gets worse each year but TIT....get over it. If your going to live here learn the Thai language. It will make it much easier for you to survive here and you will get ripped off alot less trust me. We live near Phuttamunton temple and the people around me are the nicest and down to earth people I've ever met. But as you get into the inner city Bangkok I'm treated different especially if I speak english, but when I answer back in thai they are usually the one to lose face when they try to overcharge me and often end up getting laughed at by their friends for getting busted. It's all part of "the adventure" of living in Bangkok. My wife is Thai and hates to see what is happening to Bangkok but we choose to live here 6 months out of the year and back to the usa for the other 6 months because we care for her parents here. If you don't like traffic, I suggest getting a scooter and do your shopping or business in Bangkok early and get the hellkok outa there while SAMRIT sits in her car stuck in traffic. LOL

I quite agree. I've just got back from UK and almost everyone I know there complained that UK town and city streets are unsafe places to go for a night out because there are so many p*ssed up morons wandering around looking for trouble late at night. The only trouble that I've ever had in 20 +years visiting, living and working in LoS has been with drunken Farangs. If people really want to cut down on the traffic they could always introduce congestion charges like in London or Singapore. However the last time I drove in London the traffic didn't move any fster than it does in BKK. Now where is prefect but I have found that I have always had a good time here but I haven't done that by sitting in a Beer Bar constantly whining about how sh*t it is here. People who always look for the negative side of a place are obvoiusly never going to enjoy themselves and should probably leave.

This is just a readers' poll, and readers of Travel & Leisure routinely plum for odd choices, for instance last year's winner was Udaipur (where? you may ask!). Looking at the four main criteria, it's understandable;

Bangkok is good value for money, you can step out of the airport into a taxi direct to your air conditioned 4 star hotel, then get whisked off to the tourist sites, where your hired guide for the day steers you past the scammers, wears a cute Thai smile, then you sit down to an incredible lunch of Thai food (all included in the $50 tour price of course), before being dropped off at a spa for the afternoon. Then (if you're male) you get taken to a private karaoke bar by your tuk tuk driver where you get spoilt by ladies and get to bring one home for another $50, without ever having stepped on to the disgusting pavement at Nana.

Now, tell me how many of T&L's average readers could afford that sort of treatment in New York City or Paris, or Prague...

some other lists ---- sans Bangkok http://www.citymayors.com/features/quality_survey.html 2010: Vienna has again been named as the ‘best’ city in the world, with the Austrian capital’s perennial Swiss rivals, Zurich and Geneva, following close behind. Vancouver and Auckland retain last year’s joint 4th positions. Overall, German-speaking cities occupy six places in the top ten in this year’s Quality of Living Survey by Mercer Consulting. http://ca.askmen.com/specials/2009_top_29/chicago.html http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World's_most_livable_cities