Dengue Is Here

heybruce

I just got back from CMU where two of my students told me they each have a friend who caught Dengue recently; one is in the hospital and one just got out. This isn't cause for panic, the roads are at least a hundred times as dangerous as the mosquitoes, but the mosquitoes are a risk. Take some precautions people, I've never had Dengue but I've heard enough about it to try to avoid it.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dr Morgan at the Health Care Medical Centre at Hang Dong recently emailed myself, and I guess all her patients, warning that dengue was on the increase in the north. Makes sense to get rid of all containers outside collecting water which provide a perfect breeding ground for mosquitoes. Dengue fever is a very serious illness and has caused many deaths throughout Thailand

I'm subscribed to Dr Morgan's HCMC News Letter and was made aware of this some time ago.

I had Dengue Fever a few years back and became so weak and so fed-up, that I wondered when it was all going to end. All I managed to eat in 5 days was 1 banana, and even that filled me up like a 4 course meal. I only lasted for about 5 or 6 days max, but left me feeling debilitated for about 6 weeks after I got infected. Felt just fine and dandy until I tried to do small jobs, after which I had to lie down and recuperate.

Avoid Dengue Fever like the plague! It can be a killer if you're already sick with something else, and of course, the very young, and the very old, are at most risk, like in any illness.

I believe you get it from the 'daytime' mosquito. They're the little blighters with stripy backs.

Aitch

Yes, I'm seeing a marked increase in the number of zebra-striped dengue-transmitting mosquitos here in Chiang Mai old city in the last few days, and there was a comically gleeful loudspeaker announcement the other morning singing/warning about "Kai Luat Ahk" (Dengue). My wife and child have been displaying laid-out mozzie kills on the washing machine top after evening showers (we'd like to stuff and mount them on the wall but it would look pretty lame). Just be aware without getting paranoid, dengue is here and the best thing is to avoid bites. One bite is not going to kill you of course, just keep them to a minimum and should be fine.

... snip ... I believe you get it from the 'daytime' mosquito. They're the little blighters with stripy backs.

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun Drew,

Yes, you do get it from the day-flying Aedes Aegyptus mosquito, and it's the female of the species that transmits it.

Dengue is the world's fastest spreading arbovirus (carried by mozzies), and is now at "epidemic" levels in the Caribbean and Latin America, and has spread, in the U.S. into Texas, and now, south-eastern Florida (it has not been seen in Florida for seventy-five years, we read).

We've had one strain of it several years ago, and, like you, found it a hellacious crash-diet. We're not "up" on the latest information on the number of strains, and cross-immunization data, but we were told several years ago that if you get it a second time (i.e., get another strain), it's even worse.

About the only "good' thing we can think of about Dengue is: that if you are not dead by day seven, you almost certainly will live. You might say that's better than heartbreak ?

Good Dr. Tawatchai monitored our human body's blood red-cell count every day, but it was fortunate: did not require hospitalization (i.e., no hemorraghic symptoms).

best, ~o:37;

Edited by orang37

Two things to understand about Dengue:

- You can only get it from the black-and-white striped mosquitoes which are active only during the day. Mozzie spray will keep you safe.

- It's much more likely you will catch it if other people around the area have caught it. So if there's already an epidemic in the village, it's way more likely the mozzies will bite somebody who already has it, and then transmit it to you. That means if people around you have it, go on high alert and use mozzie protection (with Deet).

So.. all in all, it's relatively easy to avoid. But really bad when you get it.

Thanks orang37 :)

An informative and academic response to the issue with a little education thrown in too ;) I didn't know all this about Dengue and to my ignorance had no idea is it as widespread as you say.

Yes it is awful, and no we're not immune if we've already had it, so i would urge everyone to certainly cover cover at least feet, elbows, and hands with a good repelant during daytime, as these seem to be the most common places for bites.

Aitch

I've always wondered what the range of a mosquito is?/ Our house is quite isolated, with only 3 households for about a kilometer to the moobaan and yes, we do have mosquitos in the daytime, but hopefully not infected.

I've always wondered what the range of a mosquito is?/ Our house is quite isolated, with only 3 households for about a kilometer to the moobaan and yes, we do have mosquitos in the daytime, but hopefully not infected.

From this report of a study conducted in Brazil:

Dispersal is an important parameter in disease transmis-

sion dynamics and vector control. In theory, a disease

vector able to displace long distances may spread

pathogens to large areas. According to our results, an

effective and effi cient control is required that can in-

clude container elimination and insecticide spraying in a

radius of at least 500 m from a reported dengue case.

i know at least five friends and acquaintances that have gotten dengue in the last few weeks. i don't remember that many people i knew getting it at the same time like this. anecdotal evidence, to be sure, but it sounds like this is the worst epidemic in chiang mai in a long time. cause for concern (and repellent) for sure.

I'm currently in the Chiang Mai Ram, not for Dengue, but can confirm from speaking to the nurses that there are more than fifty cases currently hospitalized here......

My friend informs me that 30% of the beds at Hang Dong hospital are full of people with dengue and that they are closed for further admissions

I just got back from the Philippines and caught Dengue out there (confirmed by hospital here) it kills your energy - going to the loo becomes a major struggle - and I had cold sweats etc. and at one stage slept almost 24 hours straight - it is horrible - took 18 or so days to get back to 'normal' - if it comes to us here the local government needs to get the guys out to spray around the canal etc. - I had 'heard' it's here becuase they cut back on the spraying this year to save money - but no evidence of this just hearsay.

Dengue fever has been endemic in Chiang Mai for at least 20 years. :)

True, but some times it is more common than others. Last year I didn't here of anyone catching Dengue, though I'm sure there were some cases. Two years ago I had two friends catch Dengue, heard of many friends of friends who caught the disease, and read that it was an exceptionally bad rainy season for Dengue. It's still early in this rainy season, but indications are that this could be a bad year also.

Dengue fever has been endemic in Chiang Mai for at least 20 years. :)

True, but some times is it more common than others??. Last year I didn't here of anyone catching Dengue, though I'm sure there were some cases. Two years ago I had two friends catch Dengue, heard of many friends of friends who caught the disease, and read that it was an exceptionally bad rainy season for Dengue. It's still early in this rainy season, but indications are that this could be a bad year also.

I'm sure you meant to say that (inbold) if you had thought about it.... :)

Slightly off topic, if anybody hasn't got medical insurance I suggest you get it now.

I'm currently in Chiang Mai Ram for a Pulmonary Embolism and in my 5 days to date I've run up a bill of 74K baht.

The Ram is getting very expensive these days, thankfully I have insurance.

Stay healthy :jap:

Edited by Thaihog

Does Dengue happen only during the rain season or is it a year round situation in Chiang Mai?

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun GreyTown,

Since the main dengue carrier (Aedes Aegyptus) mosquitoes lay eggs in standing water, yes, there are more during the rainy months. But, the eggs of Aedes Aegyptus can survive up to a year, which means they may be laid, but dormant, through cold and dry seasons.

However, the epidemiology of dengue fever is far more complex than that, and, currently, scientists argue on the possible roles of changing patterns of demography (movement from rural to urban, etc.), climate change (global warming), and the possible rapid evolutionary mutation of the Dengue virus itself.

Since we are a humble student of post-Darwinian evolutionary science, we are very interested in the last issue; the French scientist, Rene Dubos, pointed out in the 1950's classic, "The Mirage of Health," that the decline in the incidence of tuberculosis in the 1920's had as much to do with the evolutionary mutation of the TB virus into a less pathogenic form as it had to do with public health and sanitation measures.

We have yet to find clear scientific evidence that dengue has mutated into a more pathogenic form (which may just reflect on our lack of research), but there's no doubt that dengue killed far more people in 2003 than in 1998.

A WHO researcher commented (we believe, in 2008) that 2 million children were infected, compared to a total of 230 million people infected, but, unfortunately, a significant percent of children who were infected developed the deadly hemorrhagic symptoms. See WHO researcher on dengue

"Dengue cases spike in Thailand" : this July 28th. reportage on the IRIN site (UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs) has some interesting facts about the current high level of dengue in Thailand.

Here's a personal account by a man in Brazil who has had dengue twice (and the second time had the hemorrhagic symptoms) and was motivated to study the mosquito by his personal experience; the article is not dated, but the photographs are dated 1998. 'Aedes Aegyptus and Dengue Fever' by Roland Mortimer Since this website invites articles from anyone, we can't tell what Mortimer's scientific cred is, but it's a good read, ioho.

There was a major test of a dengue vaccine in Thailand that began in 2006, but have not been able to find out the result of that test. Other vaccines are being tested or going to be tested. There are a number of interesting experiments going on in Australia using biological means of control of dengue. There are some indications that some of the drugs used in treating HIV may be useful. There is a lot of research going on around the world.

Hopefully anyone with dengue will be under medical supervision, and will already been advised of this, but two key issues are: no aspirin or anything else that reduces blood clotting ability (use paracetimol); and, immediately after the fever period "breaks" is when you are most in danger of dehydration: you've got to force yourself to hydrate, then, no matter how you feel.

To those of you here who have let us known you are down with dengue, or have friends down with it, our heartfelt sympathies. If only knowing more about it could help you cope with it ...

best, ~o:37;

p.s. another 'Tiger striped' mosquito that carries dengue is Aedes Albopictus, and, to our knowledge, is less common as a carrier of Dengue than the similar looking Aedes Aegyptus. This species lays it eggs near water rather than in it, but the larvae can thrive in running water, or in a tiny amount of water. Wonder how the larva, emerging from the pupa, get to the water: probably a long slow crawl ?

As in all Aedes mosquitoes (all mosquitoes ?), it is the female who drinks blood (males live on flower nectar), and transmits diseases. This species has a short flight range of 200 meters or so, so will be found near where it was born.

Edited by orang37

Now the question begs; what exactly do we put in stale water to kill the eggs? Can I put bleach in there? What should I do? I have some decorative vase and a small cement pond that are of concern to me.

Slightly off topic, if anybody hasn't got medical insurance I suggest you get it now.

I'm currently in Chiang Mai Ram for a Pulmonary Embolism and in my 5 days to date I've run up a bill of 74K baht.

The Ram is getting very expensive these days, thankfully I have insurance.

Stay healthy :jap:

I was thinking about insurance - can you supply details? PM if you're not comfortable posting it on here - company? prices? many thanks

Now the question begs; what exactly do we put in stale water to kill the eggs? Can I put bleach in there? What should I do? I have some decorative vase and a small cement pond that are of concern to me.

I really wish Thai's (and some farangs) would get over their liking for standing water - it's everywhere - bowls full of dead (ish) water with tons of Mozzies flying around - and feral pigeons bathing in them - it would help just to not have these breeding sources all over town.

I'm nearly over of my Dengue thing (thank Buddha!) my white blood cells dropped below the 100,000 mark - and the other thing I really noticed was wet bed sheets every morning - and the smell - quite revolting - you could almost scrape the sweat off - it was not 'normal' everyday sweat but a sticky, cold slime almost. That and exhaustion - zero energy whilst the body fought it.

All I could do was sleep, take vitamins drink liters of pure water - drink vegetable soup and... wait. Horrible.

They say if you get a strain - it's unlikely you will get it again? is this correct (or wishful thinking?).

If you keep vases or little ponds with plants in them then you have 2 options. (1) You can put a few small guppies and they eat up the the eggs or larvae (not sure which). (2) I stayed at a GH for awhile several years ago and instead of using fish, she preferred to put some special sand (I think) in her very large vase pots to kill the eggs or larvae. I don't remember where she bought this.

Edited by vagabond48

If you keep vases or little ponds with plants in them then you have 2 options. (1) You can put a few small guppies and they eat up the the eggs or larvae (not sure which). (2) I stayed at a GH for awhile several years ago and instead of using fish, she preferred to put some special sand (I think) in her very large vase pots to kill the eggs or larvae. I don't remember where she bought this.

For many years thai health department have been dispensed the Abate sand (1 % Temephos (Abate) sand ) to put in the still water containers to stop the breeding of mosquitoes.

You may find this at most of the chemist/local medical institutes.