One Year “Marriage Visa” Renewal At Phitsanulok – My Report

Yesterday I applied at the Phitsanulok Immigration office to renew my "one year Non-Immigrant 'O' extension of permission to stay in Thailand to support a Thai wife" (which I am going to call a "marriage visa," simply because it is easier and everybody knows what I mean). When I do anything with the Thai government (which is far more pleasant with which to work than is the U.S. government), I come as fully prepared as I possible can. I keep a three ring binder that has multiple copies of everything I have ever heard of them requesting so as to be able to pull out anything they request from me. I do this because I understand the requests may vary with the office or the person, despite the strict requirements of the law. If in doubt, I bring it with two copies. If one is absolutely prepared, things usually go more smoothly.

Background first. A year ago, before the Phit'lok office opened, I applied in Nan. Nan required:

1. Completed TM7 application form w/4x6 cm photo, plus one copy (front and back not two pages).

2. Copies (2) of all my passport pages (including arrival card) with original for viewing and stamps.

3. Copies (2) of wife's government ID card, with original for viewing.

4. Copies (2) of wife's house registration book, with original for viewing.

5. Copies (2 each) of bank letter affirming over 400kTHB on deposit over 2 months and bankbook, with originals for viewing.

6. Copies (2) of Thai marriage application (Kor Sor 2 from amphur office), but not the colorful marriage certificate.

7. 1,900 ThB fee (also requested 3,000 ThB "investigation fee," which I refused).

This is all they required. My bank letter was a week old, and my bankbook was not updated, because it was a foreign currency account with no recent transactions, but they did not say anything about it. I did not have any bank statements for this account.

In Phitsanulok yesterday, they required:

1. Completed TM7 application form w/4x6 cm photo, plus one copy (front and back not two pages).

2. Copies (2) of all my passport pages (including arrival card) with original for viewing and stamps.

3. Copies (2) of wife's government ID card, with original for viewing.

4. Copies (2) of wife's house registration book, with original for viewing.

5. Copies (2 each) of bank letter affirming over 400kTHB on deposit over 3 months and bankbook, with originals for viewing.

6. Copies (2) of Thai marriage application (Kor Sor 2 from amphur office).

7. Copies (2) of colorful marriage certificate, with original for viewing.

8. Copies (2 each) pictures of house and family, in house and outside showing house number (we have no number on house – I created a placard from cardboard and paper for the picture).

9. Map to residence and one copy.

10. 1,900 ThB fee.

My bank letter was two days old, and my bankbook was not updated, because it was a foreign currency account with no recent transactions, but they did not say anything about it. The letter indicated that the money was on deposit for over three months. I also provided three months of most recent bank statements for this account.

My visit was a little more complicated in that I actually had to do three (3) things: (1) make a 90 day report; (2) transfer my marriage visa stamp to a new, renewed U.S. passport; and (3) apply for a renewed one-year marriage visa. I began by placing in front of the female officer the three applications, with passport and the standard letter from the U.S. Consulate asking Thai immigration to transfer my visa stamps to the new passport. I asked her where she would like to begin.

She looked over the documents and immediately announced that I would have to travel to Nan to transfer the marriage visa stamp to the new passport, because Nan had issued it. I smiled and said I had already checked with Thai Immigration in Bangkok and was told that the only two options were to go to my local office (Phitsanulok) or to the Bangkok office. I pulled out the Bangkok office phone number and suggested we make a telephone call. Her colleague overheard and intervened and told her that I was correct. The rest of the meeting proceeded without further complication. It pays to be prepared with not only documents, but also knowledge and a good, but firm attitude.

The interviewer did comment that my binder was very complete and well organized (riap roi). Every time she asked for something, I was able to pull it out immediately (pictures, maps, etc.) I also had separate sets of copies of documents for each of the three applications I presented.

Mission accomplished.

Thanks very much for an excellent report. I may possibly have to revert to a marriage visa instead of retirement, due of course to the exchange rate, and I will keep this as a guide.

Elwood

Very good report as l am about to change from a retirement to a Marriage extention of stay. It seems to me that Immigration have different rules in their various offices so l am going to Immigration here in Chiang Mai a few weeks to what documentation they require before making the application. You hear so many different storys of exactly what documentation is required for example pictures of you and your wife together etc

Thanks to the o/p's clear check list.

I notice on more than one thread an applicant refers to need for:

>>6. Copies (2) of Thai marriage application (Kor Sor 2 from amphur office).

However the documents I got from the Thai registry office (Amphur Bang Rak in this case) are labeled Kor Ror 2. Can anyone explain the difference?

Thanks to the o/p's clear check list.

I notice on more than one thread an applicant refers to need for:

>>6. Copies (2) of Thai marriage application (Kor Sor 2 from amphur office).

However the documents I got from the Thai registry office (Amphur Bang Rak in this case) are labeled Kor Ror 2. Can anyone explain the difference?

Mine says Kor Ror 2.

Very Informative thank you. What size should the photos be of the house and the husband and wife? How many photos are sufficient? I have read that they should be on A4 paper, is that a special type of paper that the photo shops can print the photos on?

A4 is the paper size - which is the normal size for non legal papers in most of the world. In the US it is called letter size and is slightly different in size. Most people say that for these photos you can use normal A4 size printer paper to print a few photos from your computer and no need for glossy photo finish.

• 4 weeks later...