Tire Fitting In Kanchanaburi

galoubet

Hello, I'm new here.

I have a BMW R1200C bike at my house in Kanchanaburi. It needs a new rear tire but I don't want to take it (or even just the wheel) all the way to Bangkok to have one fitted. My plan is to buy a new tire here in the UK and bring it with me on the plane to Thailand in November. Does anyone know of a tire fitting company in Kanchanaburi that has the facilities for fitting and balancing large bike tires? If I'm in Bangkok I usually use Damrong Tire.

I have no idea about a tire fitting company in Kanchanaburi..

I just don't understand why you want to bring a (large) tire from UK and perhaps have a argument with thai customs - when you can just buy one from a tire company here and have them send it with the thai post to your home address.. Me and many big bike owners in the big mango have used "showpow" on onnut road. Prices on tires doesn't differ too much I guess.. I even bought my last set of tires cheaper here than home..

my 2 cents..

I was thinking of bringing the tire with me because I'm finding it difficult to locate this particular tire in Thailand. (Michelin Commander 170/80 15 77H) The cost is not an issue here. I usually fly business and have a huge baggage allowance. I'm not particularly worried about Thai customs. I've practically rebuilt my bike in Thailand from spares bought in the UK. BMW spares in Thailand are very expensive and take a long time to arrive as they have to be directly sourced from Germany.

I'll check out ShowPow, thank you. All help and comments gratefully received :rolleyes:

actually large bike tires can be handled at the same places that handle a car tire. When I had a tire replaced on my 2006 cbr1000rr, I just took it over to a car tire place and they put it on. (This was in the States.) It's the same equipment to fit a tire to a rim regardless of whether it's a bike or a car.

True enough. But car tyre only dealers don't often have that extra special touch that comes with dealing with bike wheels. Car tyres don't generally have dics or bearings attached or spokes. They often don't have the right balacing equipment either even if it's only the wrong sized spindles. Mind you I'm not that bothered about balancing my rear wheel.

But, point taken, I might just have to use them anyway!

Many thanks PowderPuff. I sent an email to EK Paiboon and just got this reply:

"Yes, I have Michelin Commander Rear tyre 170/80-15 .

Unit price is 4,300 Baht. Fitting and Balancing are free of charge.

Sincerely yours,

Pairoj Th.

Tel : 02-623-0775"

Saves me a lot of problems. The price is the same as in the UK too.

Thanks again for your help.

Wrong. EK Paiboon are Michelin dealers.

Wow. Since when? According to Michelin Thailand last year there were NO official importers/ Distributers in Thailand. Hence i said 'grey' market.

Showpow are official distributers. But cool that Ek does Michelin.