Ibook Problem (Gf'S!)

sleepyjohn

History:

Some years ago passed on my iBook to my girlfriend who loves it. After a while the video went. I researched and learned about the dreaded bad soldering on the video chip. Instead of melting the solder I jammed a 10 baht coin between the chip and the inner case. It worked. GF was happy again! Although it will occasionally not screen up, a little pressing on the outside case usually brings it back.

Last week something else came along. The dreaded folder with question mark on start up. I am aware this often means the HD.

For the moment I'm going to assume it's a separate problem to the video chip as the ?FOLDER? is actually up on the screen (though I understand simple video like this may be in the firmware or something and may not come through the video per se).

My question is what would be a clever sequence to test the iBook's HD?

The disc drive broke down years ago and I don't have an external disc drive. However I do have an extra HD in a case with USB. I was thinking of installing OSX on the extHD and trying a startup from that but a friend says the iBook needs Firewire not USB. (Is that true?)

What I also have is a MacBook.

Can I use target mode or something and start up the iBook from the MacBook HD or the MacBook disc drive thus clarifying if the iBook HD is really a goner?

If so I'd really appreciate a clearly laid out sequence to follow. It would make my girlfriend very happy....

THANKS!

ps: while we're at it am I restricted which versions of OSX will work on an iBook?

Edited by sleepyjohn

Hi,

"My question is what would be a clever sequence to test the iBook's HD?"

The best thing is to use the Hardware test CD that came with our iBook, but if the CD drive is broken, not sure if it works with USB drive. You can try by connecting the drive to the iBook, start it up and hold the 'C" key. This make the computer start from the CD not internal HD.

"extHD and trying a startup from that but a friend says the iBook needs Firewire not USB. (Is that true?)"

Yes, correct you need firewire to do that.

"ps: while we're at it am I restricted which versions of OSX will work on an iBook?"

Yes, your are. Depend on what version, you can run up to 10.5. 10.6 only runs on Intel not PPC.

Regards......peter

Hi,

"My question is what would be a clever sequence to test the iBook's HD?"

The best thing is to use the Hardware test CD that came with our iBook, but if the CD drive is broken, not sure if it works with USB drive. You can try by connecting the drive to the iBook, start it up and hold the 'C" key. This make the computer start from the CD not internal HD.

"extHD and trying a startup from that but a friend says the iBook needs Firewire not USB. (Is that true?)"

Yes, correct you need firewire to do that.

"ps: while we're at it am I restricted which versions of OSX will work on an iBook?"

Yes, your are. Depend on what version your iBook is, you can run up to 10.5 wihtout problem. 10.6 only runs on Intel not PPC.

Regards......peter

If you have FireWire on your MacBook, you can use target disk mode. I think you restart and hold down T while it boots up. Once you see the FW icon on the screen, connect it to the MacBook via FireWire. Then the disk shows up on the MacBook.

If you don't then you can either get an external case with FireWire, and boot OS X from that. Or start from CD.

OS X 10.5 was the last version to run on both PowerPC and Intel processors so that's the latest that would work on the iBook.