Bad Experience With The Hightway Patrol!

Livinginexile

as the other posters commented it is a 200 THB Fine....

it is a 200 Baht bribe or a 400 Baht fine. Speeding can actualy more expensive if they get you with an official speed camera as EmCross pointed it out and I can confirm this from personal experience.

4,000 is definitely a rip-off and I would have asked them to tow the car away just to see how determined they are.

I've found the best thing to do in a situation like this is to slap the first cop smartly across the face, knee the second in his groin and then drive like crazy because they won't realise that you were only joking

Simon

I drove to Bkk yesterday morning. setting off at 6.30 a.m. broke the speed limit virtually all the way and no sign of a cop anywhere. (probably all still in bed after a hard night's boozing and scamming)

On my return journey to Pattaya,starting off at around noon, I probably went even faster as the weather conditions were much better.

I saw cops everywhere - on the motorway, just before the end of the motorway, and on the last leg of 'ordinary' expressway, through Sri Racha, Lam Chabang etc.

There was even a couple of sneaky ones on the Rayong highway, just after it splits at the Pattaya junction.

Yes, they were very busy all over the place waving down unsuspecting motorists to solicit their bungs.

Personally, I sailed through them all with no problem, partly luck, and partly because I was driving an up market car with darkened windows and they can't see who is inside, so they invariably wave me through, just in case it is someone important!

But frankly it was disturbing to see such zealous and frequent bully boy police tactics along the road from Bangkok to Pattaya.

It used to be an occasional event, but these days it would seem that the police's greed is insatiable.

If this sort of thing escalates, including the extortion of much higher bribes from farangs, it will make Thailand's highways a very unpleasant place to drive along, for farangs and Thais alike.

They have put up a few signs saying there are speed cameras along the motorway, but I doubt if this is true, as I would have been stopped many times by now.

Unlike the Bangkok ring road,(Route 9), where they definitely do have operational speed cameras. I discovered this to my cost, when I was pulled over and the cop showed me a paper with a list of car registration numbers, and against each number was written the average speed. Mine was amongst them, and I had to pull over and go to a desk and pay an official fine for which an official receipt was issued.

This I am fully prepared to accept, but not the thugs who are just extracting tea money with no real proof of a misdemeanour having been committed, and making the average motorist's life a misery.

Note they invariably pick on the poorest and those least able to afford paying off the BIB. The truck drivers, van drivers, pick up drivers and Thais driving old cars.

Plus of course rich farangs, if they spot them.

Time was that farangs would never be touched by the police - as they were considered out of bounds as far as police scams were concerned.

Unfortunately those halcyon day are well and truly gone.

few years ago i was stopped outside a small town about 2 hours north of Bangkok.... i must have been the first foreigner that this policeman had seen because he asked the Mrs. what was the standard fine for a farang...she said 100 baht and he seemed happy enough with that..

Ain't your wife the generous one? :whistling: Next time tell her to keep it buttoned. :lol:

Maybe they were friends of the farang from which you have stolen your new house.

My goodness there are a lot of worried Frarangs out there! :whistling:

I have been driving on and off for years in Thailand and like other posters on this thread never had to pay more than 200 bht.

No gentlemen, I was not aggressive but I did refuse to pay 4000 bht. They were the ones getting aggressive.

What has Karma got to do with this? If Karma was the case, the cops would need to rip me off another couple of mill to even things up! :D

Ohhh the Pattaya thread! A lot of bitter twisted old men here :rolleyes:

Yes, there seems to be some petty minded Farangs around this forum.

And they complain about Thai girls bitching about one another http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/388305-thai-girls-bitching-about-one-another/

They're no better!!