What Bicycle Do You Ride In Thailand?

BBbUn

What's your ride?  

194 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Me and the gf recently got our Trek 7.3 hybrids. Mainly used for touring round soaking up the scenery, carting cameras around at the same time so the hybrid style suits us more then MTB or road bike. Mainly went with Trek due to the availability of larger frames (for me) and the general ease of finding a dealer. Trek seems to benefit from some import arrangement that makes them good value here too.

When we were looking round I quite liked the Fuji bikes I saw. Trouble is the supplier didn't have any large frames that he could let the dealer have, so we ended up going with Trek. Can't be easy for dealers if they have a crap supply chain. No matter how nice their bike is, if you can't get the range of frame sizes? But I guess most dealers get by here with just small and medium frame sizes. Bianchi looks to be good and readily available here too, as does Specialized, but we never go to see any of those.

We stuck Topeak Super Tourist racks on the back. Great for the trunk bags with drop down panniers. Topeak also do a nifty basket that can clip and lock on to the rack. Great for market trips.

Further to the post above. Had a few contacts asking me about the bag and basket arrangement we have. We bought them from Chaitawawat Bikes in Chiang Mai (093 224 6818). It's all Topeak Brand. None of the other places we went carried it, they mostly stock Vincita round here it seems.

Rack: Super Tourist DX. Available with or without mounts for disc brakes. Approx 1,600. There are extension arms you can buy for the smaller bike frames which bend into shape allowing a the small frame bikes (with their much lower mounts) to take the rack.

Bag / Panniers: MTX TrunkBag (1 x EXP / 1 x ). There's a few different styles. With / without panniers. Different pocket arrangements. Size etc. You can see them here: http://www.topeak.com/products/TrunkBags%20MTX Chaitawat can order any they don't have. Approx 3,500 - 3,800.

Basket: MTX Rear Basket. 23L capacity. The cargo net we just bought from Big C. Topeak do one but I guess 10 times the price of the Big C Version. Approx 1,250. http://www.topeak.com/products/baskets/MTXBasketRear

We had some discount as we bought one of the bikes there and a load of other stuff since so prices might vary a bit. Good prices on Cateye computers there too!! I picked up to Padrone for 1,500 each vs 1,750 -1,950 elsewhere and that's after discount!!!

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Me and the gf recently got our Trek 7.3 hybrids. Mainly used for touring round soaking up the scenery, carting cameras around at the same time so the hybrid style suits us more then MTB or road bike. Mainly went with Trek due to the availability of larger frames (for me) and the general ease of finding a dealer. Trek seems to benefit from some import arrangement that makes them good value here too.

When we were looking round I quite liked the Fuji bikes I saw. Trouble is the supplier didn't have any large frames that he could let the dealer have, so we ended up going with Trek. Can't be easy for dealers if they have a crap supply chain. No matter how nice their bike is, if you can't get the range of frame sizes? But I guess most dealers get by here with just small and medium frame sizes. Bianchi looks to be good and readily available here too, as does Specialized, but we never go to see any of those.

We stuck Topeak Super Tourist racks on the back. Great for the trunk bags with drop down panniers. Topeak also do a nifty basket that can clip and lock on to the rack. Great for market trips.

if the seat height is any indicator, the little one is seriously over sized for the rider, it can't be a comfortable ride

Further to the post above. Had a few contacts asking me about the bag and basket arrangement we have. We bought them from Chaitawawat Bikes in Chiang Mai (093 224 6818). It's all Topeak Brand. None of the other places we went carried it, they mostly stock Vincita round here it seems.

Rack: Super Tourist DX. Available with or without mounts for disc brakes. Approx 1,600. There are extension arms you can buy for the smaller bike frames which bend into shape allowing a the small frame bikes (with their much lower mounts) to take the rack.

Bag / Panniers: MTX TrunkBag (1 x EXP / 1 x ). There's a few different styles. With / without panniers. Different pocket arrangements. Size etc. You can see them here: http://www.topeak.com/products/TrunkBags%20MTX Chaitawat can order any they don't have. Approx 3,500 - 3,800.

Basket: MTX Rear Basket. 23L capacity. The cargo net we just bought from Big C. Topeak do one but I guess 10 times the price of the Big C Version. Approx 1,250. http://www.topeak.com/products/baskets/MTXBasketRear

We had some discount as we bought one of the bikes there and a load of other stuff since so prices might vary a bit. Good prices on Cateye computers there too!! I picked up to Padrone for 1,500 each vs 1,750 -1,950 elsewhere and that's after discount!!!

if the seat height is any indicator, the little one is seriously over sized for the rider, it can't be a comfortable ride

Yeah seat height was adjusted WAY to high by the shop. They did it once in the shop fine, then it must have got adjusted again somehow. Now rectified.

• 3 weeks later...

Just arrived for a 3yr+ stay from Australia and purchased a Giant Defy Advanced Pro 2 as my 'Phuket' bike. Paid A$3,050 and this was a pretty good deal considering decent carbon frame, full Ultegra and discs. Based on a heap of online research (which in itself was frustrating given pricing details don't appear to published that often) I was confident I wouldn't get a better bike locally for around 80,000 baht.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Here's my latest ride and me riding it ;-)

837122ff9ed64710e6e82686463868a8.jpg

839171d5f7e54517d001080cc627f0e0.jpg

Nice pics, where did you buy and how much?

Got it from Bike Zone in Bangkok, they had a stand at the Bangsaen Triathlon offering a big discount, came out to 79k for the P2, plus 3.5k for the pedals (Ultegra) and 25k for the wheelset (Novatec R5) that I got from OKK Bike. So for same build, will set you back 107.5k

Nothing wrong with the wheels that came with it, I just wanted some nice carbon ones to look more pro ;-)

Just an observer here, haven't been out seriously since was in Indonesia.

Something I purchased a while back was a Thule rack, which fits onto the rear suspension of my bike with no issues and negated the need to lug a backpack,

Any of you guys tried it?

Here's my latest ride and me riding it ;-)

837122ff9ed64710e6e82686463868a8.jpg

839171d5f7e54517d001080cc627f0e0.jpg

Nice pics, where did you buy and how much?

Got it from Bike Zone in Bangkok, they had a stand at the Bangsaen Triathlon offering a big discount, came out to 79k for the P2, plus 3.5k for the pedals (Ultegra) and 25k for the wheelset (Novatec R5) that I got from OKK Bike. So for same build, will set you back 107.5k

Nothing wrong with the wheels that came with it, I just wanted some nice carbon ones to look more pro ;-)

79K that`s a very good price.

• 5 weeks later...

I voted MTB since it's the funnest to ride.

I ride the 1998 GT Forte on the trainer since BKK roads are too crazy for such thin tires; but I am going to try Bike for Mom/Dad with it this year.

The Oxelo scooter is for kicking down to the train station; great for short rides.

The Mongoose Argus fatbike is the funnest; feels like a tank.

The Brompton M2LX is for travelling abroad and to the post office since it has a luggage block/bag.

post-91685-0-58606900-1464277229_thumb.j

Archived