What Bicycle Do You Ride In Thailand?

BBbUn

What's your ride?  

194 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hi there you lot..here's my bike.. it's a 2010 Kona 'Kula-Gold' hardtail, with FST 'Platinum' 100mm air-forks. The running-gear is mainly Shimano (& in need of upgrading). I use it every other day doing 40-60km on/off road on mainly flatish terrain..(not to many hill-trails around me). On any steepish decsents I do like to be able to just reach down & quickly 'lock-out' the forks with the light-action adjuster.

New crankset & DMR V8 pedals to be fitted this week hopefully.

post-133706-0-73045300-1362934170_thumb.

post-133706-0-63189100-1362934371_thumb.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

last week 1st march i bought a new bike its a 2012 giant tcr1 all carbon frame at bike shop in sri racha they were very good and made a few alterations to suit me with discount it came to 43000 baht. ive not rode anything to compare it with but it seems fast and comfortable very light(just what i was looking for) ive already done 900 klms in eleven days and up to now it seems a good buy, i plan to go from pattaya to kho chang in the near future otherwise ive just been on local rds with odd rides to baengsean and sattahip anyway ill let you know how i get along with it.

13 years old "Ghost Touring".... 9 years old "Kalkhoff" city bike...

Let me guess... imported from Germany? Ghost makes really good bicycles - never saw them in Thailand, unfortunately.

Yep, i took it with me when i moved to Thailand. Together with the Kalkhoff and a Motobecane "racing bike" of my wife smile.png

Edited by wantan

My ride is pictured a couple of posts back and yesterday I recieved this upgrade worthy of a mention from my mate over from the Uk.

Its a Titanium seat post to match the frame, stem, bars and bolts I already have on board.

Better than sex, more expensive than sex but will last a whole lot longer biggrin.png

post-138895-0-76110700-1363447027_thumb.

As a frequent visitor from Kuala Lumpur to Chiang Mai, I pack along my Dahon Vitesse P18 folding bike. Packs neatly into it's own size-compliant case. Road only with 1.25/100 psi 20" tires. Next summer I'll bring along my latest project - a folding, front-wheel drive 20" recumbent. I ought to have mastered the front-wheel drive idiosyncrasies by then.

• 5 weeks later...

As a Canadian, I am very proud to have my Rocky Mountain ETSX-70 over with me. I bought 'er new in 2002 (or so). It was built for trans alp challenge racing and I live in flat Kalasin, Issan. Oh well, at least it reminds me of some of the terrain we've enjoyed in the past.

post-73451-0-50676500-1366446437_thumb.j

post-73451-0-56408300-1366446461_thumb.j

I just started riding - decided there was need to start getting rid of that old tyre that has crept up on me - and fed up with the blisters from walking. So, I bought one of those super market bikes. After breaking two sets of pedals in as many months, I took the opportunity to visit a cycling shop on a brief visit back to the UK where I bought some large ally pedals and various other bits (including powered horn) etc and fitted them when I got back - much better bike now.

I started riding, and had to take breaks every few km - in less than a couple of weeks of every other day trips, I found I could go 15km or more without needing to stop. Now I can ride quite a way as long as I have enough water with me and regularly take rides up to Airport Plaza (15km) and back. I'll never be a long distance rider (or a mountain rider) as my knees are too f$%d for that (bad fall from a ladder a few years ago) and its my knees that start to give out before anything else. Must say though I am really beginning to enjoy it in my limited form :D - as a schoolboy we rode everywhere and cover miles every weekend, forgot how much fun it can be.

I think for next xmas I'll get myself a good mountain bike.

Beautiful photo VillageFarang; but not yet made the move to Thailand, one day not soon enough. Have a few too many bikes including a Cervelo R3 SL with Campag Record. The ride is sublime, although would prefer hand made lightweight wheels. May have to fit a mirror to the bike in Thailand to help satisfy the wife or get a mountain bike....

post-173950-0-79275700-1366579782_thumb.

• 3 weeks later...

I live in Kalasin and just 500 metres from my house are some hills with lots of tracks that would be great for mountain biking. I'm also from Canada, not too many of us around Kalasin.

Well hello there Issangeorge! I didn't realize there were any Canadians around Kalasin, or hills for that matter. I'll send you a PM.

• 2 weeks later...

My Trek 3700.

Just got into MTB'ing 2 months ago so couldn't justify spending a lot in case I didn't commit and keep riding. I found this Trek and I am very happy with her.

2 months and approx 500km later makes for a happy me.

In the Ubon Ratchathani -Trakan PhuetPhon area if there are any riders about.

:D

post-134747-13688658375699_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Out on my travels yesterday on my Trek.

Looks like you are getting great return from your investment! I wonder if you could go across the border at Chong Mek and keep going! I rode around there years ago and always wanted to give it a shot.

Looks like you are getting great return from your investment! I wonder if you could go across the border at Chong Mek and keep going! I rode around there years ago and always wanted to give it a shot.

Not only is possible, my wife and I did it two years ago, spending about two weeks riding around southern Laos. We spent a few days on trails you would have loved but most of the time the riding wasn't as good as northern Laos. Maybe it was just my poor choice of routes.

Sorry to take this further off on a tangent.

TDog, contact me if you want more info.

Great return indeed. I love getting out and about at every chance I get.

I have only been down this way for a month so still adventuring in the local area. I think I will travel a little further a field if I could find more riders. There is me and my mate who go out nearly every day.

Heading into Laos sounds great, I would love to do that if possible.

smile.pngthumbsup.gifsmile.png

I thought I'd treat myself.

Red dots on a white background, you actually know what this stands for?

I assume you live on sea level - why not treat yourself with a nice Fixie?

A bike to kill for... grinding my teeth in envy...

I thought I'd treat myself.

Really nice Colnago, what actual model is it ? Plenty of egg on face potential with the paint job, not to mention 50KG Thai riders. LOL

Regards

Its a C59 Limited Edition (one of 135 - 35 of which are allocated to TdF teams) KOM, Campagnolo Super Record 11 Ti Groupset and Campagnolo Bullet CULT wheels. Weighs in at under the UCI lower limit of 6.8Kg.

Egg of face.... Remember this is a country where it's considered cool to dress as a cowboy (if you want to dress as a cowboy - then cool).

I want to ride a KOM and day dream of back in the day when I used to win races in the Haute Savoie - then that's cool too I guess.

Edited by GuestHouse

Weighs in at under the UCI lower limit of 6.8Kg.

So did my 585 smile.png

Was just showing this to a friend here today

Congrats on the C-59

I have owned Colnago MXL's & Master X lights but never a C-40 or any carbon Colnagos

Very nice

Edited by mania

Dont be surprised fellow bikers greeting you " Hello Guesthouse" while taking over...

P.S.:... and do not disappoint us not looking like Humphrey Bogart + hat & cigarette!

P.P.S: you are now allowed to the title " Carbonium Member "

Edited by Chonburiram

As I mentioned in my 'renovation' thread, I also ride my old 'road iron' here in Thailand - This machine really was used in anger on those alpine climbs. But as you can see from the frame and equipment, that really was 'back in the day'.

post-7176-0-74463100-1371683851_thumb.jp

post-7176-0-12637200-1371683874_thumb.jp

post-7176-0-80124300-1371683917_thumb.jp

post-7176-0-36817200-1371683977_thumb.jp

post-7176-0-94732300-1371683991_thumb.jp

Did you really do alpine climbs with a gear ratio 44/52 and a 13~18 close ratio block?

Do you have a picture of these legs in those times?

No I didn't.

I rode 13~25. I've rebuilt the bike with a tester's block.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a great thread and glad to see so many people enjoying cyling in Thailand. I live and ride in Samui with some pretty severe hills and punishing mountain terrain but love it.

I even did my bounder bounce last year and cycled back from Hat Yai to Samui (330 kms in 2 days) and got nothing but thumbs up from locals and drivers.

Planning on cycling in other parts of Thailand this year and checking the calenders for events too.

Mine is a 15 year old Ti Kona Hei Hei frame, XTR group set and Hope disc brakes and wheels brought with me from the UK 3 years ago for my retirement here in Samui

cheers Foggy1

truly a man after my own heart, that hei hei is lovely, if you like retro konas this is my girl:

post-180983-0-45534700-1372733936_thumb.post-180983-0-87514200-1372733930_thumb.

1995 kona explosif, been ridden very hard on vancouver island and the north shore, now semi retired commuter

taken after a clean and tube change before i pumped it up

Edited by joeaverage

As a Canadian, I am very proud to have my Rocky Mountain ETSX-70 over with me. I bought 'er new in 2002 (or so). It was built for trans alp challenge racing and I live in flat Kalasin, Issan. Oh well, at least it reminds me of some of the terrain we've enjoyed in the past.

attachicon.gifDSCN2213.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCN2214.JPG

another canadian, it had to be rocky or kona back in my day. i went kona.

saw a japanese guy in bangkok with a beautiful mint rocky thin air about 1998.

i demoed one once and brought it back with a dent in the top tube like you would not believe,

not only was the air thin, the tubing was definitely not up to vancouver's north shore. beautiful single track bike though

This is a great thread and glad to see so many people enjoying cyling in Thailand. I live and ride in Samui with some pretty severe hills and punishing mountain terrain but love it.

I even did my bounder bounce last year and cycled back from Hat Yai to Samui (330 kms in 2 days) and got nothing but thumbs up from locals and drivers.

Planning on cycling in other parts of Thailand this year and checking the calenders for events too.

Mine is a 15 year old Ti Kona Hei Hei frame, XTR group set and Hope disc brakes and wheels brought with me from the UK 3 years ago for my retirement here in Samui

cheers Foggy1

truly a man after my own heart, that hei hei is lovely, if you like retro konas this is my girl:

attachicon.gifP1110591.jpgattachicon.gifP1110588.jpg

1995 kona explosif, been ridden very hard on vancouver island and the north shore, now semi retired commuter

taken after a clean and tube change before i pumped it up

You are in good company with this retro-grouch! My Klein Mantra (well, at least the frame) is 19 years old this year. A riding companion up in Mae Taeng hits the trails regularly on a first-model year Specialized Stump Jumper! Now that is retro!