What Bicycle Do You Ride In Thailand?

BBbUn

What's your ride?  

194 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

T-Dog said: '...Road bikes make my back hurt now that I am older so I use the Mantra for road riding as well as trail riding. Fox shocks, Hope hydraulic disks...'

I have a 15-yr olde Trek road bike with thin tires and only oil-filled front shocks - it weighs a ton - it is definitely no longer suitable for me as I am over 60 with 2 medical problems which surfaced in my January medical: poor right knee meniscus, and spurs on my spine all from a 3m drop straight to the ground. I have recently started putting on weight as my jogging days are over. I really do need safe exercise.

I believe renewed cycling is the way to go; with a bike like T-Dog's, with ample shocks, robust yet lightweight, sized for a 5'8" (1.73m) body height. Any suggestions please: your advice appreciated. Cheers :jap:

Jingjoke.... My advice would be to go as many bike shops as you can and try to ride virtually every frame out there. After I was diagnosed with an inward ruptured L1-S5, I was trying to find something that was comfortable. When I got on the Klein Mantra, I knew it was a perfect fit. Now.... 6 Mantra's later, I am building up another one because I know it suits me. Yep... call me a retro-grouch, but it keeps me cycling single-track which is so good for stomach/back strength. For older guys, I think a frame a bit bigger than normal is better because it allows you to stretch out more and allows easier full joint extensions. If I was in the US, I'd be looking at some of the Litespeed Ti mountain bikes that are out there. I rode one a decade ago and it was also a comfortable ride. Always have to have something to dream about!

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jingjoke.... My advice would be to go as many bike shops as you can and try to ride virtually every frame out there. After I was diagnosed with an inward ruptured L1-S5, I was trying to find something that was comfortable. When I got on the Klein Mantra, I knew it was a perfect fit. Now.... 6 Mantra's later, I am building up another one because I know it suits me. Yep... call me a retro-grouch, but it keeps me cycling single-track which is so good for stomach/back strength. For older guys, I think a frame a bit bigger than normal is better because it allows you to stretch out more and allows easier full joint extensions. If I was in the US, I'd be looking at some of the Litespeed Ti mountain bikes that are out there. I rode one a decade ago and it was also a comfortable ride. Always have to have something to dream about!

I know little about MTB's and I won't make comments about bike fit and back pain.

But I will warn about Lightspeed. I've broken two of their titanium road frames and a teammate broke one of their aluminum frames. Lightspeed refused to honor the warranty on any of them. They have the worst customer service in the industry.

Buyer beware.

el jefe..... I was a bit surprised about your comment on Litespeed until I did a bit of research. You are very correct: Many frame failures out there and also many stories of horrid support on frames. So much for the Ti dream! As close knit as the MTB community is, a manufacturer that doesn't warranty frames is on the way out.

el jefe..... I was a bit surprised about your comment on Litespeed until I did a bit of research. You are very correct: Many frame failures out there and also many stories of horrid support on frames. So much for the Ti dream! As close knit as the MTB community is, a manufacturer that doesn't warranty frames is on the way out.

Yeah Litespeed sucks it hard.

For great Titanium go with Moots, Seven, Lynskey, Erikson, Strong, Castelano etc

Lots of great frames out there and Titanium is nice for the custom geometry and options that can be ordered.

Carbon MTB's are nice for stiffness and light weight but I have grown tired of tearing them down to return for cracks etc. If you go Carbon then go Trek for the warranty. If I was living stateside I would probably ride Trek's because my bro is a dealer and its fun to get a new warranty frame every year or two. Over here in thailand the dealers are a pain and it's a long way to Wisconsin for shipping and customs hassles. Maybe the dealer/customs situation will improve over time.

Aluminum is cheap and light but abusing a MTB beer can and it's only a matter of time before it cracks or dents.

Some Ti Bikes from the NAHBS

[NAHBS Ti

• 2 months later...

Two mountain bikes, 6 road bikes, 1 time trial bike, 4 track bikes (real track bikes, not 'fixies), 1 fixed wheel bike for the road, 1 turbo trainer bike. In additin 3 small road bikes grown out of by my kid (24" wheels); 1 Condor road bike use dby my 11 year old when he comes over from the UK, he also has two track bikes but one grown out of and a BMX.

Can't move in this place for the ruddy bikes. (I've omitted a couple and the three bikes I keep in France).

Trek 4300 hydraulic Disc. If anyone knows a place with a lot of pannier/bag selection in and around BKK I'd love to hear about it. I am looking.

Look at my post on the touring bike thread. Khun Tanin also imports great touring bags.

T-Dog said: '...Road bikes make my back hurt now that I am older so I use the Mantra for road riding as well as trail riding. Fox shocks, Hope hydraulic disks...'

I have a 15-yr olde Trek road bike with thin tires and only oil-filled front shocks - it weighs a ton - it is definitely no longer suitable for me as I am over 60 with 2 medical problems which surfaced in my January medical: poor right knee meniscus, and spurs on my spine all from a 3m drop straight to the ground. I have recently started putting on weight as my jogging days are over. I really do need safe exercise.

I believe renewed cycling is the way to go; with a bike like T-Dog's, with ample shocks, robust yet lightweight, sized for a 5'8" (1.73m) body height. Any suggestions please: your advice appreciated. Cheers :jap:

Road bikes should not necessarily make your back hurt. Quite often to do with the size, riding position and pedalling style. Try to get some pro advice.

hasepino.gif

I'm very keen on getting a Hase Pino Tour for my wife and I to travel around Thailand on!

I've got 9000km plus route planned (roughly) that will go through all 78 provinces...

i've been looking for some kinda mtb for a few months, all i've found are child size bikes...

im only 6'2" but it seems that my 'giant size' is not much catered for/to..

what size frames should i expectin to purchase if i dont want my knees to hit the handlebars etc..

and while im whinging like a child...where oh where can i buy size 11-12 trainers??

sorry to be so needy!

THX for posting all ur infos n pics! really enjoyed the read!

ef

• 1 year later...

looking forward to buy two beach cruiser bikes, the best would be online. (new or second hand)

comfort, good price and shipping will be much appreciated.

T.

You can buy these in Chiang Mai and Bangkok. They seem to becoming popular here now.

Been looking for this type of bike forever here in Chiang Mai, where do you find them? I found one at a used bike shop, he wanted 5500.

I have two Condor road bikes, An Orbea and a Gitane MTB, Lloyd tt bike, Dimar Road Bike, Echelon Road fixie, 6 other track bikes for use on a velodrome, 3 classics and building a fourth etc etc etc. This pic is just a few of them.

post-24851-0-62086400-1333208275_thumb.j

looking forward to buy two beach cruiser bikes, the best would be online. (new or second hand)

comfort, good price and shipping will be much appreciated.

T.

You can buy these in Chiang Mai and Bangkok. They seem to becoming popular here now.

Been looking for this type of bike forever here in Chiang Mai, where do you find them? I found one at a used bike shop, he wanted 5500.

Jackie Bike off Nimenhemin has had a few of them on the sales floor in the past year. Haven't been there for a while so not sure what he might have now.

For great Titanium go with Moots, Seven, Lynskey, Erikson, Strong, Castelano etc

Lots of great frames out there and Titanium is nice for the custom geometry and options that can be ordered.

Carbon MTB's are nice for stiffness and light weight but I have grown tired of tearing them down to return for cracks etc. If you go Carbon then go Trek for the warranty. If I was living stateside I would probably ride Trek's because my bro is a dealer and its fun to get a new warranty frame every year or two. Over here in thailand the dealers are a pain and it's a long way to Wisconsin for shipping and customs hassles. Maybe the dealer/customs situation will improve over time.

Aluminum is cheap and light but abusing a MTB beer can and it's only a matter of time before it cracks or dents.

[NAHBS Ti

I've had an aluminium Gitane MTB for some 16 years and it is as good today as it was 16 years ago.

[NAHBS Ti

I've had an aluminium Gitane MTB for some 16 years and it is as good today as it was 16 years ago.

Ian, your Gitane will last forever if it never leaves the garage.

You had to know someone would call you out on this. if you look at posts 66 and 76 you've told us twice that you have 15+ bikes. from your other posts we know that you're serious about the track, and ride the road regularly. I agree with CSN that "Aluminum is cheap and light but abusing a MTB beer can and it's only a matter of time before it cracks or dents."

How often and when was the last time your aluminum Gitane seen single track or been ridden down a rocky trail?

[NAHBS Ti

Ian, your Gitane will last forever if it never leaves the garage.

You had to know someone would call you out on this. if you look at posts 66 and 76 you've told us twice that you have 15+ bikes. from your other posts we know that you're serious about the track, and ride the road regularly. I agree with CSN that "Aluminum is cheap and light but abusing a MTB beer can and it's only a matter of time before it cracks or dents."

How often and when was the last time your aluminum Gitane seen single track or been ridden down a rocky trail?

Whilst in the UK it was used almost everyday when commuting to the office over farm tracks. Here it has done 3 x trips to Burma north. It doesn't do rocky trails as it does not have suspension. Apart from that I always enjoy your combatative posts but do not take the bait. Enjoy!

dunno if this is off-topic or what...but here are two fine websites for American-made touring kit.

They both ship international, worldwide. Check website for rates.

I grew tired of having rear panniers and my weight to the rear. It produced too much head shake and wobble when I wanted to

ride no-handed for a spell. I added a front handlebar pack, whic helped. it wasn't enough.

I then ordered up a gorgeous 10mm Old man Mountain Ultimate Low Rider Front rack.

And some LonePeak 0-99 Sundancer panniers. The Ortleib's are nice, but I wanted a zippered pocket to dry out my washed socks

while pedaling.

I'll keep my rear panniers as empty backups, for a spell.

http://www.oldmanmountain.com/Pages/RackPages/FrontRacks.html

Ortleib and Lone Peak Panniers, funny and informative website, great kit:

http://www.thetouringstore.com/index.htm

I had to temporarily retire my carbon fiber Mantra last year as I the bearing receiver in the integrated head set was slightly oversize. I would get a few months of riding in and then you could feel the irritating clunk of something loose up front. Tried to epoxy in the bearing and shimming with steel wool but it would always work loose. If anyone has any advice on how to put a bearing into an oversize receiver, I am all ears. This bike was awesome to ride but I don't like maintenance hogs.

post-498-0-71607100-1341312001_thumb.jpg

realities of carbon... oh well. There are quite a few frame repair shops in the US... It's not so expensive if you don't need the paint job to match new.

For a few hundred $US a broken frame can be restored.

http://velonews.comp...e-frames_196178

They can even charge the frame and use an infrared camera to find problem areas.

These carbon frames from China like the Hongfu are great deals at under $500 USD's for a 29 hard tail. Kind of disposable but solid value for the short term.

check them out. http://hongfu-bikes....mtb_frames.html

Or an always break down and buy a Titanium frame. The well built ones are lifetime frames.

Here is my utilitarian soft tail frame... Have maybe 100km's on it. Never a problem and smooth ride. Not terribly light at 24#'s.

post-27132-0-63001000-1341320697_thumb.j

post-27132-155775_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Some sweet bikes on this thread!

I used to ride a titanium Voodoo D-Jab, but the urge for more speed forced me to sell it and I managed to buy a Storck Scenario from a kind chap and i've been in love with it ever since.

The problem is the Storck is a race oriented bike, so if anyone has an old MTB cromoly or titanium frame in size 16-18 please do let me know, I'm dearly missing the relaxed ride of an MTB.

I'm actually a retro bike fan so i've been constantly collecting parts but the main problem is I can't find a retro frame to fit the components to.

0dsc_0236.jpg dsc_0640.jpg dsc_0642.jpg dsc_0643.jpg dsc_0668.jpg dsc_0712.jpg

ianf, you've got some serious bikes there! Any chance you might be the nice fellow I bought the polar cs300 kit from? I was still riding my Voodoo D-Jab back then and you took it for a little spin in lotus hang dong parking lot.

Cheers!

Some sweet bikes on this thread!

I used to ride a titanium Voodoo D-Jab, but the urge for more speed forced me to sell it and I managed to buy a Storck Scenario from a kind chap and i've been in love with it ever since.

The problem is the Storck is a race oriented bike, so if anyone has an old MTB cromoly or titanium frame in size 16-18 please do let me know, I'm dearly missing the relaxed ride of an MTB.

I'm actually a retro bike fan so i've been constantly collecting parts but the main problem is I can't find a retro frame to fit the components to.

0dsc_0236.jpg dsc_0640.jpg dsc_0642.jpg dsc_0643.jpg dsc_0668.jpg dsc_0712.jpg

ianf, you've got some serious bikes there! Any chance you might be the nice fellow I bought the polar cs300 kit from? I was still riding my Voodoo D-Jab back then and you took it for a little spin in lotus hang dong parking lot.

Cheers!

I think that was another Ian. But I live close to there.

• 3 weeks later...

Current trail bike 2004 Specialized Enduro S-Works, Fox Float 130mm fork and Float/Brain rear shock, XT-XTR spec., great bike:

post-17988-0-74181200-1344318759_thumb.j

2006 Trek 4300, upgraded with SLX crankset, Mavic wheels, and 203mm Avid BB7 brakes. Was trail bike, now I plan to slap on a rigid fork and use this as a road/touring bike. Great frame and drivetrain.

post-17988-0-92317500-1344319126_thumb.j

Archived