What Bicycle Do You Ride In Thailand?

BBbUn

What's your ride?  

194 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Many thanks to the administrators for creating the cycling section on TV's forum - much appreciated!

Chime in, pedal people! Tell us about where you ride what you ride too, and what you use your bicycle to do!

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've got a Giant XTC Team for singletrack / off road trails, Felt F55 road bike for going up the doi and other road rides, and a longtail cargo bike (Kona Dew Plus / Xtracycle) that's my main mode of transport around Chiang Mai.

Ride a custom Ribble Cycles(UK) road bike and Carrera full suspension mountain bike.

Maybe 200km's per week to keep myself fit and the weight off.

Most of my rides are on the road bike as I live just north of Kanchanaburi where the roads are dead flat and most of the off roading is tracks along the canals.

You missed fixed gear/track/single speed in the poll. Probably more of those than tandems, recumbents, cargo(??), and trikes combined.

Also missed out in the poll is 'tourers'. By 'trikes', does the OP mean 'recumbent trikes' or 'upright tricycles'?

Mt stable:-

Nashbar 6000R - retired (Again!) as of yesterday ( 7 August) after 19 years service in Saudi Arabia, UK & THailand

Trek 7200 - Fitted with butterfly bars used as hack or lazy day tourer

Trek 520 - bought yesterday and going for its first outing today (8th)

Gary Fischer HooKooEKoo, 2002 Model. Fixed rear tail.

Great front fork, Bontrager components. Bike cost about $800USD In 2002.

US airlines charge $100 to shiped your boxed bicycle (by you) on domestic flights.

$200 USD for international flights. Still a deal.

I average five (5) rides of 100-150km per ride...night riding. I split at 4pm and return before midnight,.

Ride all roads SE from Pattaya. You name it, I've been on it from Pattaya to almost Chanthaburi.

Two front bar mounted white strobe lights and two rear rede Blinkies.

My Continental Sport Contact Tyres are really slicks without much tread as I do 99% highway riding.

Many years of Thai riding and no flats, touch wood!

Yes, you need a front and rear fender to keep water and dust and stone being flicked about. or rear carrier for panniers.

Thailand has the best bicycling in the world, imho.....

Merida Matts 3000D a nice lite MTB for cruising the roads and tracks of Phuket.

I've got a Merida Matts, love it but I'd like to know exaclty which model it is. Not a super expensive one, paid 15 grand for it but does the job. I'll find a piccy and stick it up to see if anyone knows as there are no markings on the frame only 'Merida Matts' stickers. I've had a look on their website but there are so many that look the same.

I've got a Merida Matts, love it but I'd like to know exaclty which model it is. Not a super expensive one, paid 15 grand for it but does the job. I'll find a piccy and stick it up to see if anyone knows as there are no markings on the frame only 'Merida Matts' stickers. I've had a look on their website but there are so many that look the same.

here it ispost-106512-010185000 1281250719_thumb.j

here it ispost-106512-010185000 1281250719_thumb.j

Looks like a Merida Matts 400 or a Matts Sub 5 does it have Alvio components?

Bought my first Klein Mantra in 1996 and fell in love with how it climbs steep single-track as well as how it fits. Still building them up when I find parts on Ebay. Road bikes make my back hurt now that I am older so I use the Mantra for road riding as well as trail riding. Fox shocks, Hope hydraulic disks.

post-498-095493300 1281255805_thumb.jpg

post-498-074807400 1281255861_thumb.jpg

Marawuti Xues alumina mountain bike with adjustable rear suspension, made in Thailand, for Thailand :) . I ride it in less congested roads in Bangkok, not too far from home. At office I ride a plain commuter bike which has been modified with gears and back seat for a colleague.

I have a Trek 1200 road bike. Started club riding in high school with a Peugeot PX10, including a year on a race team. Once I started a family, there's been occasional spurts of riding over the years.

My dad became a cycling fan - don't know if it was because of me. He does some riding, subscribes to a cycling magazine, and follows the Tour de France. Thinking of him, I followed the Tour de France this year and dusted off the bike, so I've been riding regularly in Thailand just that long. Up to about 40km twice a week at 15 mph average speed. I still feel sluggish, so I know I need more road time to get the speed and strength up.

I'm in Sukhothai. There's a group that goes out Singhawat Rd every day around 5pm. I haven't gotten out there sooner, being shy about not speaking Thai. Finally I decided to go out anyway. I've been trying to connect, but it seems they have irregular start times. My first day I thought I was late, but coming back I passed the group just starting out. So next time I left later and they were finishing as I was starting. Rainy season is disrupting my schedule as well - missed a couple days I wanted to ride.

Hope to hook up with some riding and find some club events to ride, centuries, tours, etc.

Bought my first Klein Mantra in 1996 and fell in love with how it climbs steep single-track as well as how it fits. Still building them up when I find parts on Ebay. Road bikes make my back hurt now that I am older so I use the Mantra for road riding as well as trail riding. Fox shocks, Hope hydraulic disks.

Surprised to see this bike. I bought a Klein Team Super when he was just starting out. Mine was so early that it was before he started issuing serial numbers. One day I got a letter from him to keep an eye out for a stolen Team Super, and since then he has used serial numbers.

Surprised to see this bike. I bought a Klein Team Super when he was just starting out. Mine was so early that it was before he started issuing serial numbers. One day I got a letter from him to keep an eye out for a stolen Team Super, and since then he has used serial numbers.

Gary Klein did design and build some fantastic bikes. It's too bad the Mantra never took off as the single pivot point way up out of the mud never needs maintenance. All other full suspension bikes eventually need to have all the pivots rebuilt from the dirt that gets inside. The Mantra is one of those bikes that you just ride until the chain wears out! Klein did make one mistake on this bike as the rear dropout faces backwards and was designed too short. (Not much area for the wheel to grab on to.) You have to keep the skewer rather tight.

T_Dog...

my mtn bike buddy had a Klein Mantra as you have photographed. His was blue, excellent mtn bike.

His got stolen out of his garage in Santa Cruz!

So he turned around and purchased an all-carbon mtn bike from Santa cruz Mtn Bikes, paeng mak!

The MANTRA is a classic now, collector's item.

be sure to lock 'em up well....

You missed fixed gear/track/single speed in the poll. Probably more of those than tandems, recumbents, cargo(??), and trikes combined.

True... silly considering I have a fixie and a single speed (but not in Thailand).

Can't seem to edit the poll!

Come on folks we need to see some of these bike post you pics.

Here are mine

2008 Bianchi C2C

Dura ace group set and lost of FSA carbon bits 7.8kg

post-66434-001674700 1281541636_thumb.jp

Cube ltd Team Hard Tail

Just got it in the UK will be bringing it back to Phuket with me

post-66434-086181600 1281541720_thumb.jp

2001 Bianchi 105 Group set

My UK road bike

post-66434-085553900 1281541816_thumb.jp

My first bike Dawes 1996

post-66434-066326400 1281542003_thumb.jp

my old beater...2005 cannondale f600 - it always gets me home. for some reason i have always gone with cannondale and happily they have a great service center on Suk 26. sadly, this once proud american bike is now owned by a canadian holding company and starting 2010, all are being made in taiwan.

2008 Specialized Allez, nothing too flash, alloy/carbon fibre and has proven to be indestructible (so far) a year on Phuket now outback Sa Kaeo

Ride for leisure, fitness, generally 30-50km

Thai Air didn't charge to fly Auckland-Phuket via Bangkok, nice folk that they are

my old beater...2005 cannondale f600 - it always gets me home. for some reason i have always gone with cannondale and happily they have a great service center on Suk 26. sadly, this once proud american bike is now owned by a canadian holding company and starting 2010, all are being made in taiwan.

I believe that a few of Cannondale's super high-end bikes are still made in their Pennsylvania factory.

BTW, the F600 is a pretty nice "beater".

My first 'proper' triathlon bike was from Cannondale in about 1989/90. Way back then - in NZ - it was quite an ordeal, get all measured up and a month or maybe longer the frame would turn up from USA. Cost a fortune in respect of what I was earning at the time, can't remember how much but do recall having to hide my repayments to the bike shop from my wife for a long time. She would never have understood.

Way back then it was them or Kleins - both with the big tube frames. Great bikes.

some light humour from the bbc on middle aged men and their bicycles . . .

Rise of the Mamils (middle-aged men in lycra)

_48726205_cyclists_464.jpg

14 August 2010

Flashy sports cars are out, now no mid-life crisis is complete without a souped-up road bike. Why?

Every weekend, across the nation's rolling countryside, watch out for the Mamils: middle-aged men in lycra.

And ladies, if you have a man at home taking an unusual interest in how you shave your legs, you may have a Mamil in the making too.

Research conducted by the retail analyst Mintel suggests there has been a surge in the number of middle-aged men choosing to get on two wheels.

Given the number of men aged 35-44 who are buying fancy-pants road racing machines, is this a 21st Century mid-life crisis? Has the silence of skinny tyres and carbon fibre framesets replaced the thunderous noise of motorbikes?

Full article on BBC site at: mamils

Archived