What Bicycle Do You Ride In Thailand?

BBbUn

What's your ride?  

194 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

i am an old guy of 71yrs and have a merida speeder t1 it goes very well but im always looking for a better bike. i always go out early morning while its cool and do 2 3 or 4hrs averaging about 22ks per hr mostly in and around pattaya.i like to ride alone and realy enjoy it also keeps me fit.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to ThaiVisa and that is a nice first post! You might be one of the older foreign riders here and great to see. I do have a Thai friend who is about 73 now and still riding regularly. Have been with him on 3 hour rides and he brings a stainless steel thermos of coffee. He is not riding fast but he enjoys getting out. At any rate, welcome.

• 3 months later...

I ride a Kona Africa bike which is great in the city (chiang mai) and for going to the market. The dog likes to sit in the basket. Going up Doi Suthip , a bit off road and rides out the city i use my Tricross which i enjoy a lot too. I Have a Giant MTB gathering dust that needs a new frame after being hit by a car.

post-113867-0-42010800-1356437034_thumb.

post-113867-0-87318200-1356436927_thumb.

I've added a Surly Long Haul Trucker to my 2 bike collection. I modified my Merida Matts HFS 3000 for touring but the Surly is by far the better touring bike.

Did you buy the Surly in Thailand? I like the the Disc Trucker with 26 inch wheels although i would be happy the 700c version with canti's or v brakes.

The Surly LHT has been a really great bike both on and off the road. I and a friend recently completed a ride called the Thakek (Laos) Loop which is about 450kms of paved road through heavy mountainous terrain along with a 70km stretch of really bad dirt/rock/mountain. The Surly handled it all without any problems at all.

post-90261-0-16004900-1356791217_thumb.jpost-90261-0-19621800-1356791249_thumb.j

i have a BMC Carbon Road bike and a Gary Fisher MTB ... both excellent bikes to ride ...

Nice road bike cdmtdm, is that 10 speed 'dura ace ' on it, also carbon wheels as well ?

Regards

running Ultegra , opted not to use dura ace could not justify the cost difference to upgrade .... the wheels are carbon with hybrid alum mix on braking area ..excellent wheels ..the whole bike is a joy to ride ...

post-90261-0-16004900-1356791217_thumb.jpost-90261-0-19621800-1356791249_thumb.j

i have a BMC Carbon Road bike and a Gary Fisher MTB ... both excellent bikes to ride ...

Nice bikes!

Makes my marin hybrid very ordinary,but it has served me well in thailand for about 10 years now

thanks ...the Gary Fisher is getting on but it is an amazing light and very fast mountain bike ,

This is a great thread and glad to see so many people enjoying cyling in Thailand. I live and ride in Samui with some pretty severe hills and punishing mountain terrain but love it.

I even did my bounder bounce last year and cycled back from Hat Yai to Samui (330 kms in 2 days) and got nothing but thumbs up from locals and drivers.

Planning on cycling in other parts of Thailand this year and checking the calenders for events too.

Mine is a 15 year old Ti Kona Hei Hei frame, XTR group set and Hope disc brakes and wheels brought with me from the UK 3 years ago for my retirement here in Samui

cheers Foggy1

post-138895-0-32435500-1357123975_thumb.

post-138895-0-20732700-1357124044_thumb.

post-138895-0-65251600-1357124085_thumb.

Here are my three current bikes. All nothing expensive, but i love them. Had lots of fun, excitement and workout on them.

13 years old "Ghost Touring". I added front and rear fenders for more comfort on wet pavement.

post-129800-0-61456100-1357568650_thumb.

9 years old "Kalkhoff" city bike. In my homecountry i used it for riding to work for years. I bought it cheap on ebay, but it never had a single problem.

post-129800-0-54537300-1357568660_thumb.

Last year i bought my first mountain bike. A "Marin Palisades Trail".

post-129800-0-38719900-1357568670_thumb.

Already had some hard rides with the Marin and so far nothing broken. We have gone through a lot of green togehter...

post-129800-0-78716700-1357568681_thumb.

And also a lot of wet brown things...

post-129800-0-86048400-1357568691_thumb.

But at the end of the day we always found our way home smile.png

post-129800-0-39907100-1357569547_thumb.

This is a great thread and glad to see so many people enjoying cyling in Thailand. I live and ride in Samui with some pretty severe hills and punishing mountain terrain but love it.

I even did my bounder bounce last year and cycled back from Hat Yai to Samui (330 kms in 2 days) and got nothing but thumbs up from locals and drivers.

Planning on cycling in other parts of Thailand this year and checking the calenders for events too.

Mine is a 15 year old Ti Kona Hei Hei frame, XTR group set and Hope disc brakes and wheels brought with me from the UK 3 years ago for my retirement here in Samui

cheers Foggy1

Nice looking bike but doesn't the frame get ball blisteringly hot. smile.png

I quite recently upgraded from a shopper to a hybrid (Giant Seek 1). All my riding is done in BKK and environs so it suits me better than and MTB.

Hi GarryP

Thank u for the compliment and thats never been an issue as I have noticed... but u could cook an egg on my head when Im riding it :-))))

Cheers Foggy1

its just like vehicle colors. Dark colors such as black absorb more heat and get hot... Lighter colors tend to reflect and stay cooler. Titanium is mostly reflective.

• 2 weeks later...

My recently purchased Trek Mamba hardtail 29er. 21" frame as I am tall. Upgraded the brakes to Shimano. Got a great discount at Probike in BKK

Very sweet! If I ever get tired of riding my two Mantra's, that would be my next bike right there. I have a 35 inch inseam so normally ride a 21-22 inch frame. There was a thread last week of someone having difficulty finding large frames and glad to hear Probike is there for us taller riders. How about a report on how the 29'r rides though?

Almost bought the same bike (Trek Mamba) second hand a few weeks ago, as a "backup" bike, and to try out a 29er, but changed my mind. Tested the bike for a few min and it left a well-rounded impression. Changed my mind, though, because I want to concentrate available budget on the purchase of a fully.

For XC/lightweight hardtail bikes, check out the January promotions at chainreactioncycles.com. They carry some really nice high-end MTB racing bikes, like the Ghost Lector, for under $2000. Good bargain IMHO.

Cheers, CM-Expat

Since yesterday... a Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp 2012 which replaces my Giant Boulder 2006 hardtail. Had to be ordered from Bangkok, but she was worth waiting for. wub.png

post-61719-0-94902500-1359682037_thumb.j

Nice bike chiangmaiexpat! I ride the same for about 15 month now and am totally in "love" too wub.png

post-70768-0-11155000-1359704848_thumb.j

• 4 weeks later...

Thought I would just jump aboard this thread instead of starting a new one. This month I have taken up cycling again after a few years absence, mainly for weight loss and getting some fitness back. Must say I have been really enjoying it all again. Riding on mainly dirt tracks around our village while no rain around and starting to get some decent times and pace back.

I have a old treader MTB which I bought from a fellow farang a few years ago, it weighs a ton and in no way can be compared to some of the lovely cycles in this topic.

So should I buy a good quality second hand cycle, a hardtail MTB that I see advertised on Bahtsold or TV classifieds? or purchase a new one from a local bike shop?.

My budget is not too good, possibly up to 30K THB. There is a good cycle shop in Phetchabun city and I am only 3 hours north of Bangkok. We live not far from the border of Phetchabun/Lop Buri provinces. Appreciate any advice, thanks.

Billy Buri

Thought I would just jump aboard this thread instead of starting a new one. This month I have taken up cycling again after a few years absence, mainly for weight loss and getting some fitness back. Must say I have been really enjoying it all again. Riding on mainly dirt tracks around our village while no rain around and starting to get some decent times and pace back.

I have a old treader MTB which I bought from a fellow farang a few years ago, it weighs a ton and in no way can be compared to some of the lovely cycles in this topic.

So should I buy a good quality second hand cycle, a hardtail MTB that I see advertised on Bahtsold or TV classifieds? or purchase a new one from a local bike shop?.

My budget is not too good, possibly up to 30K THB. There is a good cycle shop in Phetchabun city and I am only 3 hours north of Bangkok. We live not far from the border of Phetchabun/Lop Buri provinces. Appreciate any advice, thanks.

Billy Buri

If you know what you're looking for and know what various bikes are worth, buying a used one is usually the best way to get good value. Of course, the proper fit is always the first consideration. A bike that doesn't fit is never a good value.

Archived