Motorbike Tax And Insurance

kenny999

Thanks for that and I assume the place to go is next door to driving licence center in Phuket town.

Yes, and don't forget the tear-off slip from your insurance policy and a test certificate if the bike is over 5 years old.

I dont have a tear of slip just the little piece of paper which is the certificate so will take that with me, plus green book and tax disc.

Thanks for the Info.

Also any garage with the signage up which is a large 'gear cog' means they are a testing station and can handle it for you, they add 100 baht for the service but then I dont think I have ever paid for the 'test' part there where in Phuket town I have to actually pay for the inspection, so it breaks out equal in cost and far superior in wasting my time.

Plus if you have big bikes your well advised to avoid the Land Transport Office as much as possible.

Also any garage with the signage up which is a large 'gear cog' means they are a testing station and can handle it for you, they add 100 baht for the service but then I dont think I have ever paid for the 'test' part there where in Phuket town I have to actually pay for the inspection, so it breaks out equal in cost and far superior in wasting my time.

Plus if you have big bikes your well advised to avoid the Land Transport Office as much as possible.

All sorted and very easy then I have never had a problem with anyone here in Thailand, I guess if you go to any of these places with an attitude you will have many problems, so be nice people!!!!!!

All sorted and very easy then I have never had a problem with anyone here in Thailand, I guess if you go to any of these places with an attitude you will have many problems, so be nice people!!!!!!

I take it you dont own a big bike, know anything about grey books and the useless system they have had of administering the taxation on these bikes, and the continual tea money thats often part of the ownership experience ?? Phuket is generally agreed to be the worst province in the country for this.

I stand by my comments, if you own a big bike, that didnt come from BMW / Kwaker / Yamaha in the last year or two, do everything you can to avoid taking the bike to land transport office. I am sure the bike owning population (and by that I am not meaning scooters) would agree with me in spades.

I'm looking to buy a new Honda PCX today. I am currently on the 30 day stamp visa, leaving the country every 30 days untill I get a non immigrant visa from Hull in October. Can I buy and register a bike with this visa? What other than a passport do I need to bring to the Honda dealership in order to have the bike registered to my name legally? Can I get a first class insurance from the Honda dealership?

I'm looking to buy a new Honda PCX today. I am currently on the 30 day stamp visa, leaving the country every 30 days untill I get a non immigrant visa from Hull in October. Can I buy and register a bike with this visa? What other than a passport do I need to bring to the Honda dealership in order to have the bike registered to my name legally? Can I get a first class insurance from the Honda dealership?

Hi In order to buy a bike in your name you need a certificate of residence or work permit, In order to get certificate of residence you need rental agreement or house papers, and no as far as I am aware you can not get first class Insurance for a small bike but I could be wrong, when I bought my Suzuki 125 I asked about first class Insurance and was told could not!!!

I did not think you can buy full insurance for a bike. Only the government 'comprehensive' insurance is available, which offers no cover for bike damage, only limited hospital costs.

First class Insurance is available for big bikes but not for small bikes, as far as I know the goverment Insurance covers you for approx 60,000 bht of hospital costs and nothing else.

You can get class 1 on scoots.. Last time I was quoted it, it was 2300 or 2600 per annum. Not fully sure of the details but that was offered as 'full' insurance. ThaiVisa also used to offer it I think. Gov insurance only covers 15k of your injury.

You will probably get away with registering on a 30 day stamp, especially as honda will handle it to make the sale.. Technically the law is that you need a non imm visa for ownership registration, but thats one of those laws thats commonly ignored.

You can get class 1 on scoots.. Last time I was quoted it, it was 2300 or 2600 per annum. Not fully sure of the details but that was offered as 'full' insurance. ThaiVisa also used to offer it I think. Gov insurance only covers 15k of your injury.

You will probably get away with registering on a 30 day stamp, especially as honda will handle it to make the sale.. Technically the law is that you need a non imm visa for ownership registration, but thats one of those laws thats commonly ignored.

Anything is possible here as things change on a daily basis, 1 yr ago there was no way I could have bought a motorbike without a certificate of residence and 1 yr visa, I tried and was told could not!!!! as for Insurance again I have been told 1st class Insurance Can not!!!!

The trick is finding the correct information. A lot of people say something, including here on the forum, and sometimes it is true. You have to know who and what information to trust.

Its not just who you ask, its who does the asking..

How many times have we come across one brick wall or another, some 'cannot' experience.. then with the help of a thai friend, or some sweet talking, or the right timed small conciliatory gift (as small as a basket of fruit) and 'cannot' suddenly has a slightly modified 'can' solution.

Thats ignoring the simple fact that 'cannot' is simply a way of ensuring tea money for the 'can' answer in so many situations.

Thais seem to love their systems and rules to be grey areas, it provides individual fiefdoms and power to those that enforce the rules, even the language is one where it seems precision is harder to define and generalities are the norm (asking for directions etc). All part of adapting.

The trick is finding the correct information. A lot of people say something, including here on the forum, and sometimes it is true. You have to know who and what information to trust.

facts

Bikes can have 1 st class inusrance. My 2010 Ninja 650R is insured for 180k baht of its 260k purchaseprice, 10 mill baht 3rd party liablility, forget how many million 3rd party material liablility, driver and one passenger covered, and very important bail bond millions of baht. Approx 7k baht a year in Falcon Insurance.

Any kind of visa, entry stamp or permit to stay has worked in Phuket, BKK and some other provinces for having registered more than 20 vehicles in my name during past 7 years.

certificate of residence, now very simplified by Phuket Immigration, is needed on each registration, but Phuket LTD now accepts copies, so one original for each reg case is no longer needed

Phuket LTD always require to see original passport to compare with copies

If you go to a bike shop with a thai, its rather common to tell farang bike can not be in your name for varios reasons. Go alone, have it in your name if desired.