Another Beach Flea Market

morrobay

Another beach flea market starting today.

This is what one of the girls thinks about it:

Too much shop, No have for lady sit down , only have for shop.

Farang no look lady, only look shop.

With the major increases in Thai and Thai for Thai events all over Pattaya and especially this weekly beach market, Is

this a plan to dilute the P4P scene in Pattaya?

Thais are taking over Pattaya on weekends with the roads and beach jammed with Thais

What happened to Bang Saen beach for Thais on weekends ?

"Another beach flea market starting today.

With the major increases in Thai and Thai for Thai events all over Pattaya and especially this weekly beach market, Is

Thais are taking over Pattaya on weekends with the roads and beach jammed with Thais

What happened to Bang Saen beach for Thais on weekends ? "

So what are you saying - all the Thais should go home?? Eejit!!

"Another beach flea market starting today.

What happened to Bang Saen beach for Thais on weekends ? "

So what are you saying - all the Thais should go home?? Eejit!!

Agreed, and please let us know how much this "girl" contributes to the local economy.

As you mentioned many Thais coming and spending money, why doesnt this "girl" change her employment and open a stall herself?

Forum rules prevent me from continuing.

Quite apart from the girls the beach road is a pleasant enough place for an evening stroll for a little exercise with a bit of a sea breeze once the sun has gone down. The way the flea market clogs it is hardly the manner in which to attract tourists and the goods on offer are certainly not aimed at the 'quality' tourist that the city claims to be trying to attract. It's bad enough during the day with the grubby beach umbrellas set out for their frequently non-existent customers ruining an otherwise decent view without these crap-pedlars coming along at night to finish it off! But, despite this latest niggle sent to try us, I still love it here and won't be leaving until they drag me kicking and screaming to the airport! :D

Beach road in the evening is a complete embarrassment for Pattaya City .... full of hookers, down & out scruffy farangs drinking 7-11 Chang and smoking Krong tips, small groups of indians bartering for "3 for the price 1" sex...whole place is one step below Soi 6 ..

That’s harsh. Soi Six. My home away from home. One of the high spots of Thailand tourism. I must admit to not going to Beach road. But Soi Six. Oh my, a relaxing sojourn of cultural enlightenment.

I feel sorry for the legitimate business people of Pattaya, who have to pay high rents, water and electric bills. This squatters camp is arriving in town all too often now and really is a blot on the landscape, making the once attractive beach road walkway look like a slum. There is one reason and one reason only why it keeps appearing and we all know it's because of the money. These traders are charged 150 baht per day to set up their stall, it doesn't sound much but if you look how many stall there are the bring in a tidy sum over a few days of 'whatever festival' it is.

Since the deck chair scam has been investigated and the number of chairs reduced on the beach, surely this must be another way for City Hall to generate an income whilst sitting on their behinds, with no regard for decent, legitimate tax paying retailers.

I think it's disgusting and they should be moved on immediately, the traffic congestion is ridiculous when they set up and take down their stalls and these traders just park where they like, when they feel like it. I walked along the beach through the market last time and the most expensive item I saw was 250 baht, so it's basically just rubbish they're selling, they leave a mess behind in typical .... fashion. It's no better than a Pikey market and an embarrassment for Pattaya. If these traders are predominantly red shirt protesters and this is their means to earning a living after spending 3 months camped out, holding the capital to ransom, they should've thought about earning a living and the impact their actions have on tourism before complaining "mai mee tang"! Can they really see further than their noses?

Rant over for the day, thank you for listening...

• Like 1

Beach road in the evening is a complete embarrassment for Pattaya City .... full of hookers, down & out scruffy farangs drinking 7-11 Chang and smoking Krong tips, small groups of indians bartering for "3 for the price 1" sex...whole place is one step below Soi 6 ..

There's actually quire a few respectable business's operating in Soi 6 nowadays, its becoming less sleazy every year.

The City Officials never get it correct. I have lived in Pattaya for 5 years and have observed the various improvements of the Beach Road promenade - (placing ugly electrical wires underground; planting of palm trees; an attempt to improve the landscaping; security cameras along the beach -do they work?; and the improved lighting at night...) But all of these flea market vendors and other exhibits placed on the grass/ flowers/ and hills along the walkway have worn out the Beach Road area which did have some improvements made. The whole scene causes traffic problems and there is no room to walk along this set up shanty town. These city "managers" come up with these events in order to make money off the rent of these vendor spots; for having these events on Beach Road only add to Pattaya as being the "unplanned city" of disarray.

The City Officials never get it correct. I have lived in Pattaya for 5 years and have observed the various improvements of the Beach Road promenade - (placing ugly electrical wires underground; planting of palm trees; an attempt to improve the landscaping; security cameras along the beach -do they work?; and the improved lighting at night...) But all of these flea market vendors and other exhibits placed on the grass/ flowers/ and hills along the walkway have worn out the Beach Road area which did have some improvements made. The whole scene causes traffic problems and there is no room to walk along this set up shanty town. These city "managers" come up with these events in order to make money off the rent of these vendor spots; for having these events on Beach Road only add to Pattaya as being the "unplanned city" of disarray.

Totally agree with the above. These city "managers" only seek to line their own pockets without any regard for what was an improved beach road and the first impression of many visitors see when entering the city. So short sighted as usual.

There's actually quire a few respectable business's operating in Soi 6 nowadays, its becoming less sleazy every year.

Which is a bad thing. Amen.

Totally agree with the above. These city "managers" only seek to line their own pockets without any regard for what was an improved beach road and the first impression of many visitors see when entering the city. So short sighted as usual.

The beachroad flea market really is an abomination and how anyone can think it actually enhances Pattaya is beyond me. I love Pattaya but I also love my nightly jogs along the promenade at sunset which are no longer possible when the stallholders hit town. I'm also a fickle traveller and as soon as something I like about a place changes or disappears altogether my perception alters and I start to get itchy feet. I'll never fully turn my back on Pattaya but if things I like about the place begin to erode I'll start spending 3 months a year here instead of 4 months, then that will become 2 months instead of 3 months etc etc. The same thing happened to me 5 or 6 years ago when I used to live on Koh Samui for six months of the year. One day I got so fed up with the over-hyped "paradise" label that blatently did not live up to the reality, I just packed my bags and left. I know a lot of people who post on Thaivisa will stick with and defend Patters through thick and thin and have no regard for the more transient members of the population such as myself who will uproot on a whim. But I believe I am not alone. Its strange how the tipping point between being truly happy in a place and "restless" can be so slim. Unfortunately that's the way of the world, someting the chaps at City Hall seem prone to ignore. And it may be to their cost.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, it seems that city hall has no idea of what to do or how to do it. The seem to want a new tourist base here, just rich people, to leave their money, but at the same time, have these cheap street slum events. Cant have it both ways! The family types are going to Cha Am or other places anyway, and are they really spending money on the same junk that they can get anywhere else? As someone already pointed out, first they improve the beach walk, then have a market and tear it up again. Hasent anyone noticed the third world traffic on beach road? Havent they noticed that there is hardly any parking available on beach road? It is filled with motor bikes for rent. At one time there was an idea to keep them off the beach road, but seems that they just ran out of steam, like all the other campaigns that get started, and never finish.

Yes, it seems that city hall has no idea of what to do or how to do it. The seem to want a new tourist base here, just rich people, to leave their money, but at the same time, have these cheap street slum events. Cant have it both ways! The family types are going to Cha Am or other places anyway, and are they really spending money on the same junk that they can get anywhere else? As someone already pointed out, first they improve the beach walk, then have a market and tear it up again. Hasent anyone noticed the third world traffic on beach road? Havent they noticed that there is hardly any parking available on beach road? It is filled with motor bikes for rent. At one time there was an idea to keep them off the beach road, but seems that they just ran out of steam, like all the other campaigns that get started, and never finish.

Cant say i've seen any Donkeys or Ox & Cart on Beach road lately!