Largest Selection Of Dvds In Bkk?

pete66

I want to buy some DVDs but getting very bored with the "same old selection" on offer at places like Meangpong etc.

Is there anywhere in BKK that offers a wider selection of DVDs? I'm prepared to travel for a decent store :)

And I'm not after people selling pirate DVDs online, I could download them myself if that was my thing ....

Thanks for any quick advice. I'm hoping to go DVD shopping today!

cheers,

pete

Whats Meangpong?

oh, sorry, in english its "mangpong" apparently but I was transliterating from the thai, "แมงป่อง". As usual, 100 ways to transliterate Thai into English - guess they turned sara "แ" into just an "a" to "keep it simple". Nobody is ever going to pronounce the word right like that though ....

anyway, its the red scorpion dvd shop you find in every shopping mall in BKK :)

Edited by pete66

Oh ya... Ive seen that red scorpion store all over the place. You dont want copy dvd's? Even the originals at stores like you mentioned will be crap quality..... dont know of any store that sells good dvds except import stores like I27 at MBK.

Really looking for a big choice of movies ..... films by wim wenders, japanese art-house films, indian films, "world cinema" I suppose. Just getting very tired of "hollywood films" and besides which, I've seen nearly all of them now :)

Just looking to expand my horizons ........... what floor is I27 on at MBK?

There was quite a big DVD shop at Emporium I recall, but not been there in the last couple of years. Might check that out.

hey pete,

not a huge selection at this location but if its world & art house your looking for go to Houserama Cinema 3rd floor @ UGC cinema (inside tops supermarket building) in RCA Bangkok and go to the members shop inside there. A great selection from a variety of genre's ive not seen anywhere else. be warned its very tiny selection.

Failing that i'm afraid its a trip to Hong Kong or Singapore

hey pete,

not a huge selection at this location but if its world & art house your looking for go to Houserama Cinema 3rd floor @ UGC cinema (inside tops supermarket building) in RCA Bangkok and go to the members shop inside there. A great selection from a variety of genre's ive not seen anywhere else. be warned its very tiny selection.

Failing that i'm afraid its a trip to Hong Kong or Singapore

Many thanks, I'll check it out, sounds just right. Actually had some luck at MBK today, in the "luuk maew" (kitten) DVD shop. Not a big shop, but a very decent selection of "world cinema" movies. Picked up 6, could have easily bought 40 or 50 if I had the cash!!

pete

Oh ya... Ive seen that red scorpion store all over the place. You dont want copy dvd's? Even the originals at stores like you mentioned will be crap quality..... dont know of any store that sells good dvds except import stores like I27 at MBK.

Really looking for a big choice of movies ..... films by wim wenders, japanese art-house films, indian films, "world cinema" I suppose. Just getting very tired of "hollywood films" and besides which, I've seen nearly all of them now :)

Just looking to expand my horizons ........... what floor is I27 on at MBK?

There was quite a big DVD shop at Emporium I recall, but not been there in the last couple of years. Might check that out.

The DVD shop @ Emporium is now an Adidas outlet. Like the world needs another one of those ... such is life :)

I did actually relent and buy a few "copies". And boy you were right, the quality was way better than the originals you get at "Mangpong", first time I have actually seen my LED TV put to proper use. How do people like Mangpong manage to screw the quality up so much? Cheap masters? Cheap DVDs? Cheap copying? All of the above? :)

You dont want copy dvd's? Even the originals at stores like you mentioned will be crap quality

In that case are they really originals, or well presented fakes??

]

Badly presented originals :)

Seriously, all originals, bought from reputable stores. But as TheLaughingMan implied, the quality level from average non-imported movies is laughable. Even the ones that say DVD-9 - makes bugger all difference afaics.

first time I have actually seen my LED TV put to proper use

Wait until you try blu-ray... :o

yeah, almost bought a player when i got the TV, but worried if the quality of the movies was too good I would spend another 50K baht on the blu-ray versions of films I already have .....

what is with those blue-ray copies at MBK? Have they just taken some horrible quality VCD or DVDs and whacked them onto blue-ray discs, or is there actually any semlance of blue-ray quality about them?