35,000 Against Bangkok Airways?

intern. touris don't pay that price, because it's covered in the costs of the package or in the costs of the long haul flight, because it's in their booking system like a route from point A to B, not A-B-C. Sometimes similar like a connecting flight to feed the long hauls.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what about an expat sticky expat winging about being ripped off thread.

also 35000 that is a proper round number. sure it wasn't 34768 or something.

also on that form. it did not ask direct if we like bbk airways. they just asked us how important the service was on a scal of 1-5. there was no room to complain

Edited by BigC

what about an expat sticky expat winging about being ripped off thread.

also 35000 that is a proper round number. sure it wasn't 34768 or something.

also on that form. it did not ask direct if we like bbk airways. they just asked us how important the service was on a scal of 1-5. there was no room to complain

Complain here:

[email protected]

I would think that the travelling public gave up on flying to Samui and paying extortion prices to BA long ago but ... it looks like they still have 20 flights per day just from Bangkok alone. Does anybody have some insight into what is the seat occupancy rate on these flights at the moment? Have anybody flown recently and can estimate what it was?

I would think that the travelling public gave up on flying to Samui and paying extortion prices to BA long ago but ... it looks like they still have 20 flights per day just from Bangkok alone. Does anybody have some insight into what is the seat occupancy rate on these flights at the moment? Have anybody flown recently and can estimate what it was?

Why? What are you going to do with the information???

How is this going to help get el-cheapo flights for the 'poverty packers' and the whingeing 'TV serial posters' here? :D

Does anybody have some insight into what is the seat occupancy rate on these flights at the moment?

My 'answer'? Well, over the last year I have flown over a dozen times with them, at varying times of day and season. On every occasion the flight had a load factor of at least 90%. (OK, let's just say they were pretty damned full and I couldn't count the empty seats without appearing to be a pervert!!) And I have yet to experience a cancelled flight, so my flights have been 'normal'.

So I guess the question is a good one. In my view BA are flying at a high capacity, with an unchanged frequency of flights. Which I interpret to mean that there are loads of people out there paying their fares (me included) and no matter how much we complain, the majority of their passengers have not changed their travel plans.

Of course, other peoples experiences may differ. Which of course they will. And I am sure they will tell me.:whistling::lol:

Does anybody have some insight into what is the seat occupancy rate on these flights at the moment?

My 'answer'? Well, over the last year I have flown over a dozen times with them, at varying times of day and season. On every occasion the flight had a load factor of at least 90%. (OK, let's just say they were pretty damned full and I couldn't count the empty seats without appearing to be a pervert!!) And I have yet to experience a cancelled flight, so my flights have been 'normal'.

So I guess the question is a good one. In my view BA are flying at a high capacity, with an unchanged frequency of flights. Which I interpret to mean that there are loads of people out there paying their fares (me included) and no matter how much we complain, the majority of their passengers have not changed their travel plans.

Of course, other peoples experiences may differ. Which of course they will. And I am sure they will tell me.:whistling::lol:

:D First pop eh?....Ok I suggest you are taking early morning or evening flights and avoiding the peak fare lunchtime filghts which in my experience are around half full.....in fact outside the peak Dec/Jan time I can't remember seeing a full plane for at least 3 years.

They reduce or increase the flights as to the demand. it has nothing to do whatsoever if the island is busy if you see their flights at 90% capacity. It's a private business being run to the maximum profitability, and theres nothing wrong with that at all if they were not taking the piss so badly.

Why anyone would waste their time emailing complaints to them is beyond me. They know exactly what they are about. They only changes that could be made would have to be by the government and that won't happen. There are also a small minority of residents that seem to have a kind of love thing going on with Bangkok Airways, and thus are happy to be screwed. Its that f..... the rest of you, i got the money and can afford it so whatever attitude which i personally despise. I just feel sorry for the families with not so much money. ( I, i might add, am not a family man before some berk makes the assumption i'm championing myself)

What about a separate thread for Bangkok Airways Rooo?

Edited by Rooo
Profanity removed.Rooo.

Several people have asked. But as is always the case, another topic will be running & goes back to BKK AIR. It just seems a bit hard to adhere to the dedicated thread for them, they keep on cropping up in too many conversations, one way or another.

How is this going to help get el-cheapo flights for the 'poverty packers' and the whingeing 'TV serial posters' here? :D

Well, if the planes are full there is nothing we can really complain about because it would be silly to expect any business to be cutting their profits for sake of a greater good. Business is business and not a charity. The el-cheapo people would have to travel by ferry or go elsewhere. Samui is so "up-market" ;-)

But, if the flights were to be found rather empty, it would suggest BA business model doesn't work and may need to be changed to lower fares and greater turn-over. It would indicate greed taking over business sense. But since most people, so far, comment that flights are rather full. BA is within their rights.

Of course, this doesn't mean that Samui wouldn't be better off with a public airport or with a public airport located somewhere closer to it than Suratthani or Nakhon. Personally, I believe the best option would be to find a suitable location on the coast near Khanom. If the airport was right near the sea it could be integrated with a fast ferry terminal, for passengers only (no vehicles) and connected to Big Buddha pier on Samui and Tongsala pier on KPG. With the use of a fast catamaran, like Lomprayah the journey times would be 1.15 h from KPG and 45 min from Bophut to the airport. Not only such solution would provide a viable alternative to BA monopoly but also preserve relative exclusivity of these islands and also invigorate tourism at Khanom area that is rather beautiful.

Well, if the planes are full there is nothing we can really complain about because it would be silly to expect any business to be cutting their profits for sake of a greater good. Business is business and not a charity. The el-cheapo people would have to travel by ferry or go elsewhere. Samui is so "up-market" ;-)

But, if the flights were to be found rather empty, it would suggest BA business model doesn't work and may need to be changed to lower fares and greater turn-over. It would indicate greed taking over business sense. But since most people, so far, comment that flights are rather full. BA is within their rights.

Of course, this doesn't mean that Samui wouldn't be better off with a public airport or with a public airport located somewhere closer to it than Suratthani or Nakhon. Personally, I believe the best option would be to find a suitable location on the coast near Khanom. If the airport was right near the sea it could be integrated with a fast ferry terminal, for passengers only (no vehicles) and connected to Big Buddha pier on Samui and Tongsala pier on KPG. With the use of a fast catamaran, like Lomprayah the journey times would be 1.15 h from KPG and 45 min from Bophut to the airport. Not only such solution would provide a viable alternative to BA monopoly but also preserve relative exclusivity of these islands and also invigorate tourism at Khanom area that is rather beautiful.

As i said before, they reduce the number of flights to make sure when they do fly the plane is near to capacity. Therefore it has no real reflection as to how much business they are getting.

Yes an airport at Don Sak or Khanom is the answer but forget about the pier at Bo Phud as it is far too small to handle the traffic. It should be the same size as Don Sak as a proper fast ferry operation has the luggage in containers which are towed on trolleys to the arrival lounge for pick up. Also Bo Phud dosn't have enough space to build a suitable car park. Why they didn't go ahead and complete the terminal at Phangka which is ideal was perhaps scuttled because of vested interests

Yes an airport at Don Sak or Khanom is the answer but forget about the pier at Bo Phud as it is far too small to handle the traffic. It should be the same size as Don Sak as a proper fast ferry operation has the luggage in containers which are towed on trolleys to the arrival lounge for pick up. Also Bo Phud dosn't have enough space to build a suitable car park. Why they didn't go ahead and complete the terminal at Phangka which is ideal was perhaps scuttled because of vested interests

Airport at Donsak. What a dam_n good idea!!!!

Airport at Donsak. What a dam_n good idea!!!!

Donsak? Might be a little problem with the local terrain. ;)

Why lay yet more concrete at Khanom when Nakhorn airport is just down the road and severely underused like most AOT airports.

there was talks years ago of building a goverment airport in the south of the Island, but nothing came of it

That would kill BA right away so I wouldn't be surprised if they were to use some persuasive measures to stop second airport at Samui. Influencing local people who may be opposed to "more noise and traffick" would be one of the tactick. No, second airport at Samui will never happen.

But the airport at Khanom/Don Sak would not kill BA as they would still be able to charge more for the most direct and convenient option. But they would not be in a position to charge as much as they do now and Samui, would benefit from increased accesibility without totally giving in to mass tourism. Not to mention KPG and Khanom itself that could finally arrive.

there was talks years ago of building a goverment airport in the south of the Island, but nothing came of it

A couple of the hills in the vicinity of the proposed site would have had to be levelled.

Rumour has it that most of the earmarked land was/is owned by an Ex-politician who is residing in Europe. :lol:

That would kill BA right away so I wouldn't be surprised if they were to use some persuasive measures to stop second airport at Samui. Influencing local people who may be opposed to "more noise and traffick" would be one of the tactick. No, second airport at Samui will never happen.

But the airport at Khanom/Don Sak would not kill BA as they would still be able to charge more for the most direct and convenient option. But they would not be in a position to charge as much as they do now and Samui, would benefit from increased accesibility without totally giving in to mass tourism. Not to mention KPG and Khanom itself that could finally arrive.

This is amazing. All up in arms about oil drilling, but no qualms about wrecking an area to put an airport.Why would you place an airport in Don Sak?You have one an hour away either side of it.

Edited by Rooo

This is amazing. All up in arms about oil drilling, but no qualms about wrecking an area to put an airport.Why would you place an airport in Don Sak?You have one an hour away either side of it.

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Roo, thanks for instilling some commonsense into this thread! :jap:

I drive those routes regularly and it is more like two hours from Surat Thani airport and Nakon Sri Thammarat to Don Sak plus more time deplaning and on to tour bus and then more time from tour bus to ferry. The passenger wants a seamless transfer from aircraft to fast ferry. And again the Bo Phud pier is way too small !

Just trying to find a solution acceptable to all but if you have a better idea please share it. Second airport at Samui? Or maybe you are just happy with BA prices?

If it was true that it takes an hour from Don Sak to other airports many people would use them and BA wouldn't be chargind what they do.

The airport at Khanom area could be even closer to Samui than Don Sak. It could be build with a runway streaching into the sea and integrate fast ferry terminal for transfer straight from the flight to the ferry. I mentioned Bophut pier at Samui only to indicate that the ferries could arrive somewhere near the biggest tourist centres in Samui that would also save time travelling to Nathon.

Airports don't necessary "wreck areas" and your comparison with oil drilling is not appropriate. They are a necessary infrastructure even at holiday destinations and oil drilling is not.

Anyway, this is just dreaming. I'm not about to "wreck" any area just yet so no need to get too worked up Mr. Moderator.

Rooo is known elsewhere as 'the Stig' known to make the airport in less than an hour....for anyone using the bus will be at least two hours.....buy a ferrari there's plenty of them around apparently.

Otherwise chill......what's the rush anyway? :unsure:

Rooo is known elsewhere as 'the Stig' known to make the airport in less than an hour....for anyone using the bus will be at least two hours.....buy a ferrari there's plenty of them around apparently.

So if you want to go to Paris, you fly to Strasbourg and then Take the train to Nancy, a coach to Saint Dizier, then the Bicycle which you left at your friends place to Chalons en Champagne and the rest to Paris you walk to Chill... for some it might be a huge convenience to get from A to B in the shortest time possible, as they are still on a job and have something to accomplish... without being in a rush or not chilled... the asking price for this service is open street robbery, BA takes advantage of it's monopoly and that is however "businesswise" but it still is not right!

So if you want to go to Paris, you fly to Strasbourg and then Take the train to Nancy, a coach to Saint Dizier, then the Bicycle which you left at your friends place to Chalons en Champagne and the rest to Paris you walk to Chill... for some it might be a huge convenience to get from A to B in the shortest time possible, as they are still on a job and have something to accomplish... without being in a rush or not chilled... the asking price for this service is open street robbery, BA takes advantage of it's monopoly and that is however "businesswise" but it still is not right!

Leaving aside for a moment the fact that the Bangkok Airways pricing structure is simply unfair on Samui when looking to get to/from the island its a question of price and convenience. If you want to save money its necessary to have a six hour trip rather than an hour or so at the moment. If there was an airport within 10 mins of Donsak the journey time would then be 4 hours. Personally Iwould be all in favour as I'm sure many others would. The only losers would be the greedy rip off merchants of BA.

Now if there were French trains running to Bangkok that would be a different matter altogether.....!

Anyway, this is just dreaming. I'm not about to "wreck" any area just yet so no need to get too worked up Mr. Moderator.

I am entitled to an answer the same as you, so don't go pulling that moderator capper please. Back in my hole now, polishing Ferrari.

I'm with the group that thinks the fare between BKK and USM is way too high. That said, in BKK, at the airport Bangkok Airways has a large, comfortable lounge for all of their passengers. What are the total costs involved in that as opposed to just the regular airport gate? The free wi-fi & free snacks can't cost too much but the rent for that must be substantial. Bangkok Airways' fares to Phuket are much cheaper. Do the passengers flying to Phuket use the same or a similar lounge?