If You'Re Listening To Music Now... Whats Playing? 4

Jockstar

On 7/29/2017 at 5:25 PM, soihok said:

Madonna.

Hung UP.

ICON of our era :wub:

One of the few songs that got permission to use a sample of an Abba Song

"Hung Up" prominently features a sample from the instrumental introduction to ABBA's hit single "Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! (A Man After Midnight)", for which Madonna personally sought permission from ABBA's songwriters Benny Andersson and Björn Ulvaeus.

Songwriters Benny Andersson and Björn Ulvaeus generally do not allow anyone to sample any of their tracks, an exception being Fugees, who sampled their song "The Name of the Game" for their single "Rumble in the Jungle".[7] In order to gain the rights to sample "Gimme! Gimme! Gimme!", Madonna had to send her emissary to Stockholm with a letter which begged them to allow her to sample the song and also telling how much she loved their music.[7] To the BBC she explained: "[T]hey never let anyone sample their music. Thank God they didn't say no. [...] They had to think about it, Benny and Björn. They didn't say yes straight away."[7] The pair agreed to let Madonna use the sample only after making a copyright agreement that entitled them to a significant share of the royalties from subsequent sales and airplay.[8] Andersson, in an interview with The Daily Telegraph in October 2005, declared "Gimme! Gimme! Gimme!" to be the essence of "Hung Up" while joking that it was his favourite Madonna song thus far.[8] He further said:

"We get so many requests from people wanting to use our tracks but we normally say 'no'. This is only the second time we have given permission. We said 'yes' this time because we admire Madonna so much and always have done. She has got guts and has been around for 21 years. That is not bad going."[8]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hung_Up

33 minutes ago, transam said:

I really like this song and the vid....I like to sing it too....But most of all it sends me back half a century to memories.....The most beautiful female that still haunts me....But I am cool with that....:smile:

I saw that movie home in Belgium with an Aussie girl that I had met in France.

Had the time of my life.

• Like 1