If You'Re Listening To Music Now... Whats Playing? 4

Jockstar

Thank you DB for pinpointing one of the pleasures of the Yorkshire coast, namely Scarborough,(sung by a Yorkshire lad himself, from Ull) and of course just up the coast is the delightful Whitby, full of sculls and sailing boats tossing around on the ever so bracing North Sea.

Scarborough was so liked by the pilgrims, refugees and economic migrants of years gone by, that once they had settled in the land of the free they promptly gave a new town the same name.

Yorkshiremen will note that whilst across the pond there is a New York, a Scarborough and even a Hull,( what madness), there is no Cleethorpes, Scunthorpe, Bawtry or Doncaster - at least to my knowledge....They weren't that foolish, the pilgrims!

• Like 2

Thank you DB for pinpointing one of the pleasures of the Yorkshire coast, namely Scarborough,(sung by a Yorkshire lad himself, from Ull) and of course just up the coast is the delightful Whitby, full of sculls and sailing boats tossing around on the ever so bracing North Sea.

Scarborough was so liked by the pilgrims, refugees and economic migrants of years gone by, that once they had settled in the land of the free they promptly gave a new town the same name.

Yorkshiremen will note that whilst across the pond there is a New York, a Scarborough and even a Hull,( what madness), there is no Cleethorpes, Scunthorpe, Bawtry or Doncaster - at least to my knowledge....They weren't that foolish, the pilgrims!

I used to get the bus past the Eston and California Sports and Social Club; I'm guessing that the US state of the same name was so-called because surfing was also popular on the West Coast of America

SC

Edit: By the way, ten seconds' research on Google reveals four Doncasters in USA

Edited by StreetCowboy
  • Like 1

DB- I used to have a great version of Eastbourne Ladies live with Zoot Money, more hard hitting than the one on The Teddy Bears album, shame it's not on youtube though.Anyway here's another amusing number from Kevin- better to be mad than sad!! wincing, mincing, eyeing each other shining....

SC- 4 Doncasters in the USA- eh up, I googled and could only find one in Maryland, if you can find a Grimethorpe, i'll take my hat off to you

• Like 1

Thinking about tomorrow, bicycles and tunes reminded me of my dad bouncing me up and down on his knee post bath as he sang this song

As a nipper,the jollity of the tune made me presume the lyrics were of the same mode, it was only later I realized women of ambition were the same world over.

• Like 1