My Neighbour The Conman

likewise

Not thinking about credit ratings, which I don't think are well organised in Thailand, this whole saga gives me a business idea.

I could pay a deposit on 10 houses. Get nice ones like your neighborhood. Pay first month rent on each property then nothing else. Collect rent on 9 houses, live in one house but pay the mortage properly on the money made on renting the other nine houses. In five years time, loose 9 houses, have a nice has paid off and probably quite a bit of money in the bank!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nice guys don't always finish first!

sounds like you really thought it through.

The debts will be all on your name... houses will probably sold for less so yu loose the last house too.

Also as a farang you cant buy a house (more the land)

A Thai cant have more then 1 house on his / her name. So it will be hard to have 10 on your name.

Agree with everything but the last. I know Thais who own several houses as rental properties.

Not thinking about credit ratings, which I don't think are well organised in Thailand, this whole saga gives me a business idea.

I could pay a deposit on 10 houses. Get nice ones like your neighborhood. Pay first month rent on each property then nothing else. Collect rent on 9 houses, live in one house but pay the mortage properly on the money made on renting the other nine houses. In five years time, loose 9 houses, have a nice has paid off and probably quite a bit of money in the bank!!!!!!!!!!!!

The debts will be all on your name... houses will probably sold for less so yu loose the last house too.

A Thai cant have more then 1 house on his / her name. So it will be hard to have 10 on your name.

fortunately there is enough leeway in the Thai business code, none the less NOT following letter of the law, to be able to processes the above system. Houses in company name etc.

I'm compelled to report that a year ago a rather nice-looking house in the lane behind us was raided by police. Turns out the house was being used as a drugs distribution point. It's been empty ever since. Curiously, the garden remains well-tended.

Avoid stepping on the grass. ;)

I'm compelled to report that a year ago a rather nice-looking house in the lane behind us was raided by police. Turns out the house was being used as a drugs distribution point. It's been empty ever since. Curiously, the garden remains well-tended.

Avoid stepping on the grass. ;)

I wouldn't do that. It would be sacrilegious.

My advice would be don't get to know your neighbour too well and mind your own business. I mean bury your head in the sand and pretend you don't know/see anything suspicious about your neighbour. Unfortunately the legal and law systems here often don't protect the innocent (being you), so best keep your distance.

On the basis that law cases can be spun out forever and that if you ever get to jail chances are you won't spend long there, I would say there is little incentive to be a law abiding citizen here. Hence why there is so much crime here, and often the police are heavily involved. If you have the money, so can either bail yourself out or bribe someone in the system to let you off the hook or with a fairly minor sentence. Hence crime pays here. Unfortunately this excludes foreigners as we are always seen to be the bad people and thus should be made an example of.

I don't talk to him that much, but he has tried to ask me if I wanted to invest in his NGO to help the poor :jap: I kindly thanked him.

True though they are not noisy.

Well funny though if he talks to me he tries to impress me and others by saying that he also works for the one who cannot be named, all this while the whole neighbourhood knows what he really does.

Kinda like a patholgical liar he is but his scams work.

The house deal, they went to court and he had to leave the house, so what did he do? He appealed and now has to wait to appear in court again god knows when lol.

For him the house is just a set up so when he invites the rural people he scams it looks like he is a well respeced man in a good neighbourhood.

Funny really.

Agree with everything but the last. I know Thais who own several houses as rental properties.

True, I know several Thai people who own numerous houses with land.

True, I know several Thai people who own numerous houses with land.

Ok might that be through a company ? I could be wrong here so id love to learn. I believe the thai person needs to be on a tabien bahn and you cant be on more then one tabien bahn.