Lack Of Customer Service In The Land Of Smirks

IAMSOBAD

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes I saw your Thaier than Thai Expats line.

Reminds me of Richard Pryor to Gene Wilder in Silver Streak ... You a little too black!

I coined this a long time ago and I like it a lot, so of course I don't mind promoting it. I think it's a classic that will outlive the antics of the Glitterman. I also like my discovery of a new mental illness, the Pattaya Derangement Syndrome (PDS) but I somehow doubt it has the legs of Thai-ier than Thai ... We are all looking for a little bit of immortality (or is that immorality), I believe people will be saying Thai-ier than Thai hundreds of years from now. 55555

Pretentious...moi? :whistling:

That's why I find it so funny how tolerant some Thai-ier than Thai expats here are so overly tolerant of Thai RUDENESS.

Perhaps you haven't considered all the variables.

Is it at all possible that you may be getting worse treatment than others? Is it possible that all Farang are not treated equally? Is it possible you have an attitude problem?

If rudeness is the issue, what would you suggest the "Thai-ier than Thai expats here" do to curb this trend?

Perhaps something along the line of your advice when taxi meters refuse to turn on their meters - slam the door and walk away.

If you're going to poke fun at tolerant expats, why not suggest other ways.

(I'm a tolerant. If I cannot tolerate the way the Thais treat me in Thailand, I'm outa there. It's their country and there's not much I can do to change anything)

You have no idea what Thai-ier than thai means, mate. It is not about tolerance. I am so tolerant I need to see a doc about anal leakage, that's a joke. It means INTERNALIZING what expats IMAGINE are Thai ways and values to a comical degree and then lecturing other expats who they don't think meet their high standards. Now, that is INTOLERANCE for you. Geez!

Reminds me of Richard Pryor to Gene Wilder in Silver Streak ... You a little too black!

I coined this a long time ago and I like it a lot, so of course I don't mind promoting it. I think it's a classic that will outlive the antics of the Glitterman. I also like my discovery of a new mental illness, the Pattaya Derangement Syndrome (PDS) but I somehow doubt it has the legs of Thai-ier than Thai ... We are all looking for a little bit of immortality (or is that immorality), I believe people will be saying Thai-ier than Thai hundreds of years from now. 55555

If the crown fits ...

If the crown fits ...

I think you will have to fight it out with the glitterman for possession of the crown.

Actually, I would pay to see that fight :D

Just to get back on topic...

Yes, there are examples of poor service in Pattaya. But I am often amazed at how good a service I get.

For example, when buying a set of garden furniture in Pattaya, I asked when could they deliver to Bang Saray. The salesgirl made a phone call and 10 minutes later the furniture was on the back of a pick-up which followed me home. There was no extra charge, but I did tip the delivery guys, who carried everything to the back garden and spent 30 minutes polishing the furniture with teak oil.

I never knock my home country (UK) but this level of service is unheard of there.

I think you will have to fight it out with the glitterman for possession of the crown.

Actually, I would pay to see that fight :D

No contest. The great Golden One wins. His ancestors were blue blood royalty (or so he says). Mine were fruit peddlers, cigar rollers, and carpetbaggers ...

Oh no, not with the bags again, and the fruit ...

Edited by Jingthing

• 4 months later...

New item for this topic.

At a hair cut/salon type place.

A while back I decided to buy my own manicure kit and ask a salon to use it for my pedicures.

Many might think this eccentric, but that is my choice, I have my reasons, and that is what I want to do, so I won't focus here on justifying that choice.

So, anyway, I found a nice salon last time to try that out, ask them to use my kit.

The first time they used the kit, I was happy with the work, I tipped adequately.

I asked about haircut prices and even though the cost was 3 times what I pay elsewhere, I decided next time I would go for both a pedicure and haircut at that place.

So I go tonight, ask for the same salon worker by name.

Take out my kit expecting a repeat of the cooperative service the last time.

But ... no.

The lady starts loudly abusing me, insulting me, asking me why I so scared, they use alchohol, thousands of people have used their tools, what is my problem?

She already knew I wanted a haircut also, was a local, would be a potential long term repeat customer.

I was stunned. I didn't dignify her with my reasons for wanting to use my kit, it wasn't her business really. Yes or no is the expected response. I just said OK, GOODBYE (nothing more) and walked out. I will never be back.

Incredible, huh?

FYI - for those interested. I didn't think the salon worker had the education level to absorb this information, but my main concern from improperly sterilized tools is bacterial infections (not that rare) followed by fungus. Bacterial infections can actually be very serious. You can also, believe it or not, get Hepatitis and even AIDS from unclean tools (rare but possible). There is sometimes but not always bleeding involved in nail care, not to mention microcuts you can't see.

Edited by Jingthing

Just to get back on topic...

Yes, there are examples of poor service in Pattaya. But I am often amazed at how good a service I get.

For example, when buying a set of garden furniture in Pattaya, I asked when could they deliver to Bang Saray. The salesgirl made a phone call and 10 minutes later the furniture was on the back of a pick-up which followed me home. There was no extra charge, but I did tip the delivery guys, who carried everything to the back garden and spent 30 minutes polishing the furniture with teak oil.

I never knock my home country (UK) but this level of service is unheard of there.

You paid for it! Try a claim when it's broken after one month...lol

Pattaya is not a very friendly place. Just get out of it from time to time to see the difference. However Thai smiles really do not mean much to me. Those times are over, I am just thinking of money to get or save and sometimes some sanook,which again is only sanook without any depth.

Edited by moo9

New item for this topic.

At a hair cut/salon type place.

A while back I decided to buy my own manicure kit and ask a salon to use it for my pedicures.

Many might think this eccentric, but that is my choice, I have my reasons, and that is what I want to do, so I won't focus here on justifying that choice.

So, anyway, I found a nice salon last time to try that out, ask them to use my kit.

The first time they used the kit, I was happy with the work, I tipped adequately.

I asked about haircut prices and even though the cost was 3 times what I pay elsewhere, I decided next time I would go for both a pedicure and haircut at that place.

So I go tonight, ask for the same salon worker by name.

Take out my kit expecting a repeat of the cooperative service the last time.

But ... no.

The lady starts loudly abusing me, insulting me, asking me why I so scared, they use alchohol, thousands of people have used their tools, what is my problem?

She already knew I wanted a haircut also, was a local, would be a potential long term repeat customer.

I was stunned. I didn't dignify her with my reasons for wanting to use my kit, it wasn't her business really. Yes or no is the expected response. I just said OK, GOODBYE (nothing more) and walked out. I will never be back.

Incredible, huh?

Do you take your set with you in your home country? You make them feel like their stuff is not good or clean enough, so they lost face.

Look for a lady who can take care of you at home, using your equipment.

Some people are really weired.

Do you take your set with you in your home country? You make them feel like their stuff is not good or clean enough, so they lost face.

I didn't go for professional nail care in the US, but if you knew anything about it, you would know that bringing your own tools is openly ENCOURAGED in the US for hygienic reasons. Many places will even store your tools securely for you. And, no I don't trust any Thai salon about this, sorry, that's the reality. The hygiene is very lax even in the posh places. A quick swipe with alcohol is NOT sterilization, and of course they think they are doing well if they do the quick rub. If you're asking, yes, in some states with strict laws I would trust US salons more than Thai salons. Also note, in the US in many states it is ILLEGAL to provide service to those with athlete's foot, eczema, or any similar foot disease. You know such laws do not exist in Thailand, now don't you? I am not asking Thailand to change their laws or asking the salons here to learn proper practices, just want to find one place which does good work who will not harass me for bringing my own tools.

I don't think it was a face thing on her part, I think it was an ignorance thing and bad customer service. Impossible to put themselves in the customer's place, if the customer asks, that's what they want. It isn't their role to fight, insult, and yes embarrass the customer. A NO is OK though but I had reason to expect a YES based on the last experience.

Edited by Jingthing

I didn't go for professional nail care in the US, but if you knew anything about it, you would know that bringing your own tools is openly ENCOURAGED in the US for hygienic reasons. Many places will even store your tools securely for you. And, no I don't trust any Thai salon about this, sorry, that's the reality. The hygiene is very lax even in the posh places. A quick swipe with alcohol is NOT sterilization, and of course they think they are doing well if they do the quick rub. If you're asking, yes, in some states with strict laws I would trust US salons more than Thai salons. Also note, in the US in many states it is ILLEGAL to provide service to those with athlete's foot, eczema, or any similar foot disease. You know such laws do not exist in Thailand, now don't you?

I don't think it was a face thing on her part, I think it was an ignorance thing and bad customer service. Impossible to put themselves in the customer's place, if the customer asks, that's what they want. It's isn't their role to fight, insult, and yes embarrass the customer. A NO is OK though but I had reason to expect a YES based on the last experience.

No way you should be taking your own tools to get your nails trimmed and painted , thats no different than taking your car to a mechanic and telling him to use your tool box .

Tradesmen like to use their own tools :)

Edited by saintofsilence

No way you should be taking your own tools get your nails trimmed and painted , thats no different than taking your car to a mechanic and telling him to use your tool box .

It's not the same thing. Car tools aren't used on humans with possible diseases. You can't infect cars with bacteria, fungi, and viruses. I agree tradesmen like to use their own tools. That's why I already said a polite NO (cannot/will not) would have been adequate and totally acceptable. (Although I still don't see the logic in turning down a potential loyal customer over such a triviality.) I agree it is an unusual request in Thailand where even scientifically oriented westerners succumb to magical thinking. A quick swipe with alcohol is not sterilization in the US, and it is not sterilization here either. I realize I am not encountering the brain trust going to a salon here so that's why I didn't want to waste the energy discussing the scientific basis for my request. I would have also been happy to discuss my reasons with the worker if she had asked me about it, POLITELY, in the middle of working on my nails! Yes, we should be polite to Thais, but sorry, Thais should be polite to us as well.

Edited by Jingthing

Where I come from we have a saying: "The customer is always right". Unheard of here, I know. Shrug.

Exactly. That's the root I think of my current complaint.

For example, if I ask for my French fries to be served stacked in a cup instead of on the plate, the response should be yes sir, not we have served thousands of fries on the plate, what's your problem?

I agree that would be a very weird request.

Edited by Jingthing

Living here and seeing the "gaps and cracks" of Pattaya is different than if you are in a "bubble" as a tourist being bussed around from one smiling venue to another. I have noticed the help in the service industry is worse than ever. I realize during tourist season there are more demands from tourists and many new "farangs" are not familiar to the Thai way; however, most Thais who work in the shops, restaurants, and at other tourist venues are not trained in how to handle customers and have NO ROLE model in how to wait on a customer.The managers/owners are usually gone - so their is no supervision on quality control. Many of these employees are temporary, so that even makes things worse.

The workers who get my great respect due to their patience in dealing with rude and demanding farangs ;yet are very efficient in their jobs are the clerks at Family Mart and Seven Eleven. 90% of the time I never see them standing around doing nothing , talking in the cll phone, picking their zits, or squatting down behind the counter drinking their spicy soup. They are always on task and can deal with a variety of personalities, "English" speakers, and rudeness.

No way you should be taking your own tools get your nails trimmed and painted , thats no different than taking your car to a mechanic and telling him to use your tool box .

It's not the same thing. Car tools aren't used on humans with possible diseases. You can't infect cars with bacteria, fungi, and viruses. I agree tradesmen like to use their own tools. That's why I already said a polite NO (cannot/will not) would have been adequate and totally acceptable. (Although I still don't see the logic in turning down a potential loyal customer over such a triviality.) I agree it is an unusual request in Thailand where even scientifically oriented westerners succumb to magical thinking. A quick swipe with alcohol is not sterilization in the US, and it is not sterilization here either. I realize I am not encountering the brain trust going to a salon here so that's why I didn't want to waste the energy discussing the scientific basis for my request. I would have also been happy to discuss my reasons with the worker if she had asked me about it, POLITELY, in the middle of working on my nails! Yes, we should be polite to Thais, but sorry, Thais should be polite to us as well.

just wondering

do you take your own knife and fork with you when you go to a resturant ?

Where I come from we have a saying: "The customer is always right". Unheard of here, I know. Shrug.

in my experience in retail, those who quote that phrase are usually the biggest pain in the ass to deal with and are usually the most wrong........

Oh ... thanks ... :unsure:

No way you should be taking your own tools to get your nails trimmed and painted , thats no different than taking your car to a mechanic and telling him to use your tool box .

I had the nail thing done once before and their clippers were the dullest I have ever seen. The girl had to struggle to cut my fingernails. Maybe the shop was using low quality clippers or maybe they were extremely old, I don't know. But I wish that I had brought my own set as it would have been easier on both me an the girl.

TheWalkingMan

just wondering

do you take your own knife and fork with you when you go to a resturant ?

No, but I don't share my toothbrush with thousand of people though.

Keep in mind food utensils are for cutting food, not cutting people, well, usually.

Edited by Jingthing

Jinthing writes:

" I don't like Foodmart anyway, the prices are outrageous compared to Pattaya stores. They are milking the market as they know they don't have any competition in Jomtien. We really need a more credible food market in Jomtien, Friendship would be great, Foodland also, even Tops would beat Foodmart by a mile."

with these kind of sentiments,I would like to know why anyone would want to live in Jomtien?

Quite frankly its off the beaten track, has littered beaches, a polluted sea, and the night life is pale and stale compared with Pattaya; plus there is nothing to do there in the daytime either.

Can someone enlighten me please?

Jinthing writes:

" I don't like Foodmart anyway, the prices are outrageous compared to Pattaya stores. They are milking the market as they know they don't have any competition in Jomtien. We really need a more credible food market in Jomtien, Friendship would be great, Foodland also, even Tops would beat Foodmart by a mile."

with these kind of sentiments,I would like to know why anyone would want to live in Jomtien?

Quite frankly its off the beaten track, has littered beaches, a polluted sea, and the night life is pale and stale compared with Pattaya; plus there is nothing to do there in the daytime either.

Can someone enlighten me please?

That's a good question but it's really off topic to this thread. You might want to start a new thread about

why anyone would want to live in Jomtien?

It could be a lively one.

Oh, heck, I will start it myself!

Edited by Jingthing

JT,

Its amazing how you manage to bring the worst out in people. You must have done something else to upset her, surely ?

:lol:

If you say so. I understand Thai salon workers will think I'm crazy asking for this, and many westerners think the same. I don't care, I just wanted some service. Another aspect of this incident, I don't know if this is really particularly a Thai tendency, but many have noticed Thais in general don't like to be told how to do things differently than the "Thai way". Obviously customers wanting to use their own tools isn't the Thai way.

Edited by Jingthing

In a simialr vein last week I took part of a water filter to the makers authorised repair shop as it needs repair.

This authorised repair shop didn't have the right tools to be able to open the part up to get inside it.

So this week I'll be going back with my own tools that will do the job so that they can open it up and repair it.

TIT as they say.