Tot Blocking All Torrent Traffic

geoffphuket

• Replies 984
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This had to happen. It probably a good thing. You'll "hopefully" see performance of voip, web mail, etc.. improve. Torrents are drain especially since most peers exists outside of TOT, if you look at an average torrent drainer using a steady 1mbit the economics just dont make sense. I cant even buy full transit routes on 1000mbit commits for < 550baht/mbit (or anywhere near that). So hopefully TOT stop, separate, or traffic shape them.

Ideally I'd like to see torrent drainer pay a massive premium. Part ignorance for most windoze users as the systray hides the little U, but wow imagine how fast the internet would be in Thailand without torrent drainers.

Ends rant.

You're entitled to your opinion, but I think you are very much in the minority

I suspect I am. But the reality is it is just not financially sustainable to ISP in SE Asia to provide any reasonable level of performance to Torrents - especially those where most peers will exist outside of Thailand for the type of downloads most popular. The result is degraded performance for everyone and further congestion. The only reason I believe that traffic shaping or blocking has been weak with Torrents is the cost involved in deep packet inspection hardware especially when the client/trackers evolve the protocol relatively frequently (encryption etc...). Someone has to pay..

Those that pay, pay for those that don't pay.

I'll bet that if we all paid per megabyte, like an electric or water meter, three things would happen. (Assuming the ISP's adjusted everything so they got the same total revenue.)

1. My bill would go down.

2. Internet service would be faster.

3. The massive downloaders would become slowdownloaders. I.e. They would be more selective about how much they downloaded.

My two cents.

• Like 2

Out of interest, can anyone NOT on TOT still download?

I am in Chiang mai.

Just Tested TOT, and it appears to not be downloading. - However this could be down to the Torrent programme used or site may not have peers online.

3BB / TT&T / CAT all currently still worked as of 10/09/53, will check later tonight.

Losing TOT wouldn't exactly be devastating, but if they all did it we would be proper F****d !

Edited by cjars

TAWP. LOL

BitTorrent uses a disproportional amount of resources, one users affects several regular users - the infrastructure can't cope with YOUR usages patterns and your selfish expectation to batter the lines affect people using the internet in ways broadband was originally intended for. Perhaps this is why BitTorrent is targetted? Or do you just think they pulled one protocol out of hat for no other reason than luck?

No, really. You are a master troll. Hat off.

Unless you are serious, in which case I'd be again rolling on the floor laughing...

TAWP.

There is no doubt that P2P traffic is having a determinable affect on Thailand international bandwidth capacity. The fact that you have a Skype conversation running doesnt support your argument. What I am saying is if torrent were blocked we'd ALL have much responsive and consistent connection, that the selfish part, rather than torrent users causing all the contention.

You are serious. Ahahahaha.

You know what? If you all would stop using Internet, I'd have a great connection.

So, please stop using my Internet.

Thank you.

P.S: You are incredibly dumb, and I can't still believe you were not just a master troll.

This had to happen. It probably a good thing. You'll "hopefully" see performance of voip, web mail, etc.. improve. Torrents are drain especially since most peers exists outside of TOT, if you look at an average torrent drainer using a steady 1mbit the economics just dont make sense. I cant even buy full transit routes on 1000mbit commits for < 550baht/mbit (or anywhere near that). So hopefully TOT stop, separate, or traffic shape them.

Ideally I'd like to see torrent drainer pay a massive premium. Part ignorance for most windoze users as the systray hides the little U, but wow imagine how fast the internet would be in Thailand without torrent drainers.

Ends rant.

ya sure was a rant -- or more of a rave and you are sure in the 1% minority - nuff said ---

Ends rant.

ya sure was a rant -- or more of a rave and you are sure in the 1% minority - nuff said ---

Just because he is in the minority, does not make him wrong. In most societies the majority want a free ride from the minority that pay more than their fair share.

As I said earlier. Those that pay, pay for those that don't pay.

As far as I am concerned I am in the camp that if I pay for a connection of speed X, I expect to get that speed all day long, every day - regardless of what type of bandwidth I am using.

Of course we all know the reality is different.... in Thailand particularly. But also in most other countries to some degree. Because all ISPs manipulate their sales pitch to sell apparently all singing all dancing "unlimited" packages - which aren't.

When you pay for a connection speed in Thailand you supposedly get that speed on the local network (in country) and your international bandwidth is shared between all users. So YMMV.

I reported here about a year ago that True have been experimenting (in my area at least) with blocking torrents, and killing connections that use a large percentage of torrent traffic. People here called me on it.

Since then in Nonthaburi I have found workarounds. But rest assured that the current censorship of sites like justin.tv and the like is not simply because of the political situation. It is because the ISPs here, particularly True, want to control the TV we watch as well.

Expect this situation to get slowly get worse.

Edited by scratt

TAWP. LOL

BitTorrent uses a disproportional amount of resources, one users affects several regular users - the infrastructure can't cope with YOUR usages patterns and your selfish expectation to batter the lines affect people using the internet in ways broadband was originally intended for. Perhaps this is why BitTorrent is targetted? Or do you just think they pulled one protocol out of hat for no other reason than luck?

So why is it that tehre's no such problems in South Korea?

Could it be that the infrastructure is better?

So the problem is not really a result of selfish usage patterns, rather a problem of a bad service being provided instead of one that could accomodate ALL users.

I have not been connected to TOT for almost 2 weeks at all. They will not provide service to repair. This is regular where I live (not close to the city). But the bill comes right on time every month. I guess it all depends which technology they decide is important. As with all things here, it's all about the money.

still nothing on TOT in CM

I get a yellow caution sign at the botton of U-Torrent that says "no network connection"

CM is on a different Undersea cable from Cat to TOT , so it would not be a local fiber to bangkok and out,

you are on TOT , who lease from CAT who connect to these guys , there is a issue in the Cat system connection http://www.asia-america-gateway.com/index.php

Ends rant.

Its back on and much faster. I join the supporters of anti torrent

here in CM... on 3BBB ISP... no problem, new, old torrents...whatever... Skype, magicjack..all working as well as possible. 4mb line and getting 4mb all the time.

My machine has not shut off, except during power outages, for one year... downloads constantly and torrents flow like water.

Maybe i am just one of the lucky one?!?!

It seems very inconstant. In Chiang Mai my usually excellent TOT connection abruptly stalled last night with a "connection closed by peer" and all communication with UKN trackers has been dead since then. I talked to UKN and they traced it to something to do with TOT but had no suggestions other than wait it out. Other trackers seem unaffected (well I only tried a couple) but if it doesn't get resolved I'll have to change ISP since UKN is a touch of sanity in the nightmare that is Thai TV programming!

Ends rant.

I suspect I am. But the reality is it is just not financially sustainable to ISP in SE Asia to provide any reasonable level of performance to Torrents - especially those where most peers will exist outside of Thailand for the type of downloads most popular. The result is degraded performance for everyone and further congestion. The only reason I believe that traffic shaping or blocking has been weak with Torrents is the cost involved in deep packet inspection hardware especially when the client/trackers evolve the protocol relatively frequently (encryption etc...). Someone has to pay..

Those that pay, pay for those that don't pay.

I'll bet that if we all paid per megabyte, like an electric or water meter, three things would happen. (Assuming the ISP's adjusted everything so they got the same total revenue.)

1. My bill would go down.

2. Internet service would be faster.

3. The massive downloaders would become slowdownloaders. I.e. They would be more selective about how much they downloaded.

My two cents.

Internet is already cheap as dirt.

Your browsing and email would not be faster, even if every person on earth stopped using bit torrent. The actual bandwidth needed for regular internet browsing/email is very narrow.

Who cares if the next guy downloads 100gb a day if it doesn't slow you down.

Torrentors are an easy shoulder to lay the blame on, when it's the profiteering companies that should be making sure their equipment is keeping up with customer's demands...and with the times. And generally they are as the internet is only getting faster.... a 2mb connection is the same cost as a 1mb connection was 2 years back.

Edited by damian5000

still nothing on TOT in CM

I get a yellow caution sign at the botton of U-Torrent that says "no network connection"

CM is on a different Undersea cable from Cat to TOT , so it would not be a local fiber to bangkok and out,

you are on TOT , who lease from CAT who connect to these guys , there is a issue in the Cat system connection http://www.asia-america-gateway.com/index.php

What's the point of that link?

I hae the 12 Mbit / 1 700 thb a month connexion since 10 month. I'm in Sara Buri province. I'm a torrent user big time. I never had round the clock the service I pay for. anyway the guy told me torrent only betwen 0000 and 0600. The line goes often down for hours. And the up is limited to 30 k. But this is Thailand. You can complain whatever you want it will change nothing. "Go home" or "Pai naun loy" is the only possible answer. I noticed yesterday some traffic congestion. My explanation is more that they sold much more connexion that the adsl can manage or their andwith on the major oversea cable are inferior to their real sold needs. Choke Dee & Metta.

Ends rant.

It is painfully obvious to me that you don't know a GD thing about P2P, Torrent files, bandwidth, or anything else relevant to this topic. Perhaps your expertise would best be utilized in describing "the little engine that could." People utilizing torrent files, and P2P sites do not drain Thailand's internet access, or speed thereof. Thailand does. End of story!

I am really surprised TOT is blocking all torrent traffic. I am using an encrypted VPN connection (doovpn.com). This way TOT can not block any torrent downloads. A friend of mine is using a seedbox, it seems to work fine for him. However, I am not sure how it works.

Edited by juiso

TOT working fine over the river towards Nakhon Pathom downloaded 3 series and 2 movies overnight from Demonoid using Vuze

When did you start those torrents? Yesterday night? Yesterday morning? Earlier?

Have you tried a new torrent today?

Working fine on TOT in Ratchaburi.

Can you start a new torrent?

Using TOT in Ban Chang and as of last night could not download existing torrents.

Haven't tried a new one.

CAT was working OK but now seems to have stopped but at least all the torrent icons are green (uploading) or blue (downloading).

On TOT all icons were red (stopped).