Tot Blocking All Torrent Traffic

geoffphuket

• Replies 984
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am currently getting 297KB download on my 3MB line!!!!!

You do know that that you can update your TOT subscription to 4MB without any cost?

No I did not' date=' any more information?? That would be great thanks!

[/quote']

Thought so! Just call into any TOT office and sign a new agreement. The price remains 590Baht. It's then just a case of going home and changing your user name in the modem to 'telephone number'@tothome. About 1 hour later it'll be working :)

Thank you very much sir! That is greatly appreciated, now I will be able to hog even more of their bandwidth.

It would appear not just TOT.

I am using a previously very fast test torrent on U torrent It is very very slow now

I am with 3BB

Something is going on.

3BB Pattaya....all torrents acting normally, both private and public...currently downloading 6 torrents at a speed of 1.2mb/sec and uploading 20 at a speed of 1mb/sec. I suggest your problem is something else.

What 3bb plan are you using. My 3BB s*cks today. I'm in Chiang Mai

3/1 MB/sec Premier package @ 1166/month. Actually they give me 4/1 for no extra cost since I complained to them vigourously about dreadful upload speed. The most I could ever get was about 0.3mbps. Their method of compensating me for bad upload speed was to increase my download speed!!!??? But after a few months of bad upload speed it is now OK and runs 24/7 at 1mbps.....Had a little rain here today so lines are wet which tends to slow things down....But I'm not complaining. Presently running at 2.2/0.8 mbps

Just a reminder to anybody having issues with thebox.

Please check that your client (uTorrent, Vuze etc) is an allowed version. thebox started banning all kinds of bad clients recently and if you're using an unapproved one you'll not get any data. Check their website announcements for a list of approved client programs.

Also don't try and hide behind a proxy or VPN. They have banned that as well.

Once you've cleared both those hurdles then you can start yelling at TOT.

Go to page one of this thread and read all the pages ;)

I have done......as my message stated "Just a reminder" to those who might not have done....

I'm having the same problem all http trackers are blocked I can only download very slowly via DHT using Bittorrent. I went to the TOT office about 100m up the road and they were unaware of torrents being blocked and denied having placed any restrictions on torrents. They told me they would find out what was going on and give me a call but I'm not holding my breath :)

I might pay them another visit later today if it doesn't go back to normal, because I'm trying to download rugby matches and noone comes between a kiwi and his rugby:angry:

Never got my call back from TOT so called again.

Spoke to third person blah blah... "I'll pass it onto customer service."

So, I asked them to send this on (very politely) to customer services; "do you realize just how many customers you are pissing off (alternative phrase used here) and how many your going to lose if you don't stop messing about and sort something out?"

Suppose its good news for the non-torrent using TOT folk and the other providers.

I'm giving a couple of days monitoring and if nothing improves I'm off.

Given this, any suggestions on a different provider - has anyone experienced these type of problems with others? Neighbour has true and says its great. I'm in CM.

I'm having the same problem all http trackers are blocked I can only download very slowly via DHT using Bittorrent. I went to the TOT office about 100m up the road and they were unaware of torrents being blocked and denied having placed any restrictions on torrents. They told me they would find out what was going on and give me a call but I'm not holding my breath :)

I might pay them another visit later today if it doesn't go back to normal, because I'm trying to download rugby matches and noone comes between a kiwi and his rugby:angry:

They're giving everyone the "We'll ring you back" line. They never do!

Edited by geoffphuket

Using a VPN with TheBox will get you banned: http://thebox.bz/announcement.php ;)

The link you refer to confuses the issue and does not specifically ban VPN users, annon proxy maybe. Hasn't bothered me at all.

Proxies/VPN's/TORs - End Of The Line..

http://thebox.bz/faq.php#prox1

FAQ wrote:

Why can't I use a proxy on your site?

It is our policy not to allow new accounts to be opened from behind a proxy.

Any account found using a proxy to mask real ips (this includes TOR proxies) will be disabled and banned.

I think you are the one who has not read the page correctly

The critical point is OPENING new accounts anonymously,

not the subsequent downloading.

I am using my VPN with TheBox, as it gives me better throughput,

and have not been banned.

None of which has any relevance to this thread which is about the TOT actions.

Blocked! What message are you getting? If you can give me an example I'll try here to see if I can get it...

So, I asked them to send this on (very politely) to customer services; "do you realize just how many customers you are pissing off (alternative phrase used here) and how many your going to lose if you don't stop messing about and sort something out?"

Suppose its good news for the non-torrent using TOT folk and the other providers.

Given this, any suggestions on a different provider - has anyone experienced these type of problems with others? Neighbour has true and says its great. I'm in CM.

Problem is, contracts are signed for 12 months at a time. Just walking in to the office and trying to cancel might prove difficult. I've only recently signed for another 12 months :( Anyone got advice?

Chiang Mai still down..

Talked with TOT again , and they say it is my equipment..???:cheesy:

I suggest as others have that we all call TOT

Phone Toll Free 1100 Press 9 for English , and then Complain :realangry:

Be polite , and do not shoot the messenger , :jap:

Happy Mothers day to All :D

PS - even without all the Torrents running , my internet connection is still measuring 3M on the PING Test, but in reality it is as SLOW AND CRAPPY AS EVER

Edited by CMFarang

Using a VPN with TheBox will get you banned: http://thebox.bz/announcement.php ;)

The link you refer to confuses the issue and does not specifically ban VPN users, annon proxy maybe. Hasn't bothered me at all.

Proxies/VPN's/TORs - End Of The Line..

http://thebox.bz/faq.php#prox1

FAQ wrote:

Why can't I use a proxy on your site?

It is our policy not to allow new accounts to be opened from behind a proxy.

Any account found using a proxy to mask real ips (this includes TOR proxies) will be disabled and banned.

I think you are the one who has not read the page correctly

The critical point is OPENING new accounts anonymously,

not the subsequent downloading.

I am using my VPN with TheBox, as it gives me better throughput,

and have not been banned.

None of which has any relevance to this thread which is about the TOT actions.

I PM'd davvywolf at TheBOx last night and he confirms that you CANNOT download torrents from TheBox or TheEmpire using a VPN/TOR/PROXY. Maybe you've been lucky up to now....I might have to give it a try myself :lol:

Surprised they're working today. It's a public holiday I believe

At least the service guy does...but not as promised yesterday at my line.

Thats what I just get when I tried to access Facebook in Phuket

ToT%20blocked%20Facebook.JPG

ToT (DEAD) Internet

• Like 1

I just got of the phone with True and the girl hasn't received one complaint about this. Said she would check with the technician, like they always do. She also said all their connection were working, but when she tried to access several torrent sites I gave, she couldn't do it. I don't understand people saying that True works correctly in Chiang Mai, because I'm here and it doesn't work.

I just got of the phone with True and the girl hasn't received one complaint about this. Said she would check with the technician, like they always do. She also said all their connection were working, but when she tried to access several torrent sites I gave, she couldn't do it. I don't understand people saying that True works correctly in Chiang Mai, because I'm here and it doesn't work.

She probably hasn't had many complaints - The problem is with TOT :lol:

• Like 1

This had to happen. It probably a good thing. You'll "hopefully" see performance of voip, web mail, etc.. improve. Torrents are drain especially since most peers exists outside of TOT, if you look at an average torrent drainer using a steady 1mbit the economics just dont make sense. I cant even buy full transit routes on 1000mbit commits for < 550baht/mbit (or anywhere near that). So hopefully TOT stop, separate, or traffic shape them.

Ideally I'd like to see torrent drainer pay a massive premium. Part ignorance for most windoze users as the systray hides the little U, but wow imagine how fast the internet would be in Thailand without torrent drainers.

Ends rant.

Well, I will say this... "Opinions are like ass holes, everyone has one, but some don't smell too good."

Now let me justify my insult. The simple fact of the matter is this.. If you are paying money to ToT for a "SERVICE" then it doesn't matter how often you use that service.. it's provided on a monthly basis. They are billing you for a months service of unlimited use at XX MBs Speed. You should not be punished or restricted because you use it 20 hours a day, and it should not matter what you used it for. If there is a problem ToT should UPGRADE there service because the REAL problem is the fact that they sell you a "bandwidth" and then in turn let 20 accounts share the SAME bandwidth!!!!! So yes if an account on your bandwidth is downloading 20 movies all day every day, your internet really does suck, and I am sorry for you. This is the problem with ToT, TT&T & 3BB, the speeds or bandwidth they sell to you are SHARED on MULTIPLE accounts, this is the problem that has to be fixed, not restricting the manner in which people download.

I am a Torrent downloader.. Long live The Pirate Bay.... However, I download movies or TV shows that I CAN NOT watch here (i.e. Burn Notice, True Blood) I also listen to a style of music that is not very popular.. I listen to death metal... Sure It's not your choice... But have you tried to find a death metal cd (i.e. Despised Icon, Acid Bath, Arch Enemy, Cripper, Otep) in any of the 50,000,000 CD shops? I have... Think I found any? Nope, not ONE!!! But they do have alot of Michael Jackson, if thats your thing. So in fact torrents is a way for me to maintain my life style.

With that being said, YES copyright infringment is considered wrong in most countries. But for a Thai ISP (Internet Service Provider) to start blocking torrents, that is a bit ironic. Thailand is the black market capital of the world, and before a PRIVATE company starts restricting torrent downloads, I want to see the Bangkok Copyright Police shutting down 50,000,000 CD and DvD shops first, then I will understand. But this is a way for ToT to try to decrease their sever load so they have more room to sell more shitty service which will result in the service still being shitty just with more profeits coming in.

But to REALLY top this off, get out your ToT service contract.... Have you EVER formally agreed to ANYTHING from ToT to say that you would not download torrents? And who in the H_E_L_L are they to monitor what your doing on the internet anyway?

I hope people find this useful

:)

Kind regards,

- Darkrose

Koh Samui

Edited by Darkrose
  • Like 1

I can now logon to TORRENTDAY but any file you try to download in uTorrent comes up with DHT not allowed, local peer discovery not allowed, peer exchange not allowed.......................

'DHT not allowed' means the torrent was created with the private bit set, so clients cannot use DHT. Most private trackers use this to restrict their torrents to members of their community.

That is the problem you see, I am a member, and I am logged on. It has been working fine for months until those horses asses at TOT started their incompetent meddling.However, since I installed TOR and Polipo, it has begun working again, I am currently getting 297KB download on my 3MB line!!!!!

If a torrent was created with the private bit set, DHT won't be allowed, period. It has nothing to do with site memberships or you being logged in or not, which is a different issue altogether. Like I said, private trackers use it to keep their torrents from 'leaking' to the outside world. Therefore, not allowing DHT keeps the torrent in question private, forcing the use of approved trackers only.

Each ".torrent" file you download from a private site (while logged on) is tagged with user specific data. This small bit of information is unique to every member of the community. When you begin downloading files inside the torrent, the private tracker uses this information to confirm your status as a valid peer. This is how ratios are calculated and maintained.

I hope this clears things up a bit. :)

Edited by Supernova
  • Like 1

So a quick recap on what is and what isn't working

Thebox = not working

uknova = working

eztv = not working

what places are working for us shows, i need my entourage fix !?!

UkNova seems hit and miss, as are TPB and Demonoid, but they're worth a try.

MVGroup still works for documentaries ;)

Edited by geoffphuket

Welcome to Thai Visa Darkrose :lol:

Thank you very much! :rolleyes: I've been in Thailand for three years now.... Always read Thai Visa, but this thread made me want to post a reply

And an excellent first post it was!

I have to attend business....see you all later tonight :jap:

• Like 1

This had to happen. It probably a good thing. You'll "hopefully" see performance of voip, web mail, etc.. improve. Torrents are drain especially since most peers exists outside of TOT, if you look at an average torrent drainer using a steady 1mbit the economics just dont make sense. I cant even buy full transit routes on 1000mbit commits for < 550baht/mbit (or anywhere near that). So hopefully TOT stop, separate, or traffic shape them.

Ideally I'd like to see torrent drainer pay a massive premium. Part ignorance for most windoze users as the systray hides the little U, but wow imagine how fast the internet would be in Thailand without torrent drainers.

Ends rant.

You're entitled to your opinion, but I think you are very much in the minority

Probably not very much in the minority, since most of us don't know what "torrent" is. We do know that something makes our connection horribly slow.

• Like 1

I am a Torrent downloader.. Long live The Pirate Bay.... However, I download movies or TV shows that I CAN NOT watch here (i.e. Burn Notice, True Blood) I also listen to a style of music that is not very popular.. I listen to death metal... Sure It's not your choice... But have you tried to find a death metal cd (i.e. Despised Icon, Acid Bath, Arch Enemy, Cripper, Otep) in any of the 50,000,000 CD shops? I have... Think I found any? Nope, not ONE!!! But they do have alot of Michael Jackson, if thats your thing. So in fact torrents is a way for me to maintain my life style.

:welcomeani:

A hel_l of a first post dude. Death metal rules! :thumbsup:

• Like 1

She probably hasn't had many complaints - The problem is with TOT :lol:

IMBabaBobo is very clearly stating that the problem now exists on TRUE in Chiang Mai....At least as far as his/her connection is concerned...

Problem is, contracts are signed for 12 months at a time. Just walking in to the office and trying to cancel might prove difficult. I've only recently signed for another 12 months :( Anyone got advice?

Contracts! This is the LOS, they're not worth the paper they are written on. Yeh, I think the contract says if you cancel you have to pay a fee (2000B or something). Happened to a friend they were messing about, he went to the office, canceled. They pointed out the fee, he pointed out that they'd been messing him around (plus he didn't have the money on him at the time) and walked out never to return. That was 12 months ago and no comeback. TOT seem free to mess around with services, plus the numerous times the net drops off etc etc. Sort of think they've already breached my contract in countless ways.

Welcome Darkrose- and very well put. That is what I was trying to say back on page 15, then some noob called Eaconger started being insulting (I presume B-Nose is an insult though actually I haven't got a clue what it means), and trying to baffle us with bullshit about solid pipes and dedicated lines and how he's an important network admin who 'knows about these things' whereas we plebs don't, and we should all go home. At that point I thought 'oh screw it, I just can't be bothered'.

Well put indeed- we pay for a service- if the ISP can't support the service they're selling how is that our fault? They still happily take the money of course.

BTW I can confirm that here:

Thebox = not working

uknova = working

• Like 1

So a quick recap on what is and what isn't working

Thebox = not working

uknova = working

eztv = not working

what places are working for us shows, i need my entourage fix !?!

UkNova seems hit and miss, as are TPB and Demonoid, but they're worth a try.

MVGroup still works for documentaries ;)

TPB is a trackerless site...any attempts to connect with a tracker there will result in a connection closed by peer message. This has nothing to do with TOT.