Thaivisa To Issue Thailand Expat Gold Card

A very good idea. This will help ex-pats in Thailand to have a greater degree of dignity in the country. I believe there should be some parameters for membership that ensure true ex-pats are members rather than just any farang who drops by.

I would like to suggest some extra benefits from the Immigration department for holders of this card. Fast track through immigration would be an advantage, as would a discounted immigration fee for extensions. I would like this card to be seen as a 'guarantee of respectability' - it's members have agreed to live by certain ethics which benefit both themselves and the Thai populace. I believe cards should be recinded in the event of a criminal prosecution being proved against the holder, deportation or immigration violation.

We would all like to see improved relations with the immigration department. we don't want to break their laws, we're grateful to be guests in their beautiful country, but on the other hand we'd like to see some easing of harsh restrictions such as large bank deposits or 30 day visa runs which for cardholders could be accomplished by presenting the card with relevant documentation at Immigration departments.

I look forward to hearing more.

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for all your input so far. We are noting down all your ideas, but we are not going to answer all questions during this weekend as both me and Huski are travelling. We will also involve more people in the project next week.

No work permit will be needed for this card!

Regarding the Credit Card/Debit card issue. We are looking into several alternatives, and those are not necessary to be Thai banks. There are cards on the market, abroad and/or offshore, secured credit cards, pre-paid credit/debit cards etc. It's a jungle!

One possible solution:

We have all opportunities to get a branded VISA or MasterCard from a honest institution. The card might come without credit though, you can use the card if you have pre-loaded it up with cash. They also works well for online purchases.

Keep them ideas coming!

Cheers

Edited by george

Despite some legitimate concerns some posters have raised, at the end of the day I like the fundamental idea, George.

The idea of having more than 1 category of card has already been raised, but maybe a variation on that theme would be to have one card that includes a credit card for people with work permits, retirement permits, and marriage permits, and another without a credit facility for tourists (even if they de facto live here on their tourist visas).

I am rather puzzled by people who have written no one will be interested. When I used to have an American Express Gold Card, I did indeed avail myself of some of the benefits it offered, after comparison shopping, toe sure. If someone were to choose not to use any potential benefits the card might have above and beyond a credit facility, they certainly could so choose -- it's their business.

One poster said he couldn't use his debit card to make an online purchase; I've been using a U.S. bank debit card to do precisely that as well as to pay for meals, hotels, air tickets, etc. for 8 years to the day -- when I returned from a U.S. trip July 9, 1997 with a debit card in hand. Never had a problem with using the card except when the international lines were down -- maybe 3 or 4 times all told. I'm not saying he's wrong; after all, he knows about his own card, but maybe he could get a card elsewhere he could use.

Regarding providing assistance to people navigating the hazards of immigration, I don't see how you can do that even for a fee in terms of getting people out of legal difficulties. However, on a fee basis it might be you could get people fluent in Thai and some of the major languages spoken by visitors who speak no or limited English and no Thai to provide on-the-fly phone interpretation. Lots of logistical considerations in that, I know.

You have a very respectable number of members, A card like this conceivably could lead even the government looking at the subset of foreigners who are members as worth dealing with.

Hope it works out (and that I end up able to qualify!).

Edited by MekhongKurt

It all depends on who the issuing bank is - and if in Thailand the card will be considered as a foreign exchange account to enable online purchases. Also, whether or not a subsidiary card for wife/g/f,children can be issued with credit limits. Since most normal banks must know their customer, presenting 1's passport shouldn't be a jawdropper for those signing on. Will Thai Intl or Nok or others accept it for ticketing and discount? Will foreign accounts be required to guarantee parment from cardholders (waive jurisdiction)? Will it be issued from outside Thailand for those in Thailand? Will it have an embeeded photo? Will their be a transaction charge at the ATM and if so how much? The health insurance is a good idea. Normally the Thai Banks pay around 1,500 Baht per card member signed up as commission to the salesperson. Tesco/Carrefour discounts are another plus. What language will the billing be done in Thai, English, German, Chinese? Should be discounts at MK and other resturants. And 7/11 :o

Good idea, even if only half the ideas on the wishlist can be implemented a card like this will surely be of great benefit to a lot of people.

I would like to see more banking related benefits. Everybodythat stays here, whether long- or short-term has to deal with money and banks!

Thanks to all the people behind the scenes that are doing the work!!

If we choose an overseas credit card/debit card solution, which is most likely, it will come with full banking facilities as internet banking, on-line statements and so on.

Our aim is to provide something better than Thai banks and their attitude problems towards foreigners in Thailand. :o

I can't give more details regarding card and banking functionality for the time beeing.

Great idea, based upon what has been presented I will certainly be interested.

If you go with the internet banking rout – I think it would be a big plus to have the ability to hold multiple currencies in the account. I have an account like this with Citibank called a multi-money account. Allowing the customer to hold funds in USD, Euro, Baht, Yen, etc will provide a big benefit to many potential candidates.

We are noting down all your ideas, but we are not going to answer all questions during this weekend as both me and Huski are travelling.

Oh no, not the Bank of Bermuda again.

Remember what happened to PILL

Just read 101 posts. Missing connection to airline loyalty programs.

I.e. one accumulates points on the card that either can be used with the card- or Visa-program or can be transferred as mileage to carriers within Staralliance, Oneworld or Skyward, to name 3.

Somebody mentioned the Elite-card.

Two features they offer and I like: Preferential treatment at the airport-immigration (sep. counter), pick up at the arrival plane's door and perhaps transportation to/from the airport which not necessarily must be for free. Just mention your card number and get the service at a fixed rate, charged to the card.

No, I do not mention 5 years' visa valid for 90 days every entry, as I do not need it. :o

If we choose an overseas credit card/debit card solution, which is most likely, it will come with full banking facilities as internet banking, on-line statements and so on.

Our aim is to provide something better than Thai banks and their attitude problems towards foreigners in Thailand. :o

I can't give more details regarding card and banking functionality for the time beeing.

This is a great idea George.

I like the idea of a complete banking solution, should make life easier!

How about discounts on Insurance (Home, Travel, Medical etc.)

I am only interested in VISA cards with cool logos and card designs.

So split it up:

thaiVisa : prepaid or other secured card for non-xpat status visitors

:o Logo could be a bulging balding male rubbing his head with one hand and rubbing his tummy.

thai[/b]VisaX : for expats holding one year visas/wps/respermits/etc...

:D Logo could simply be a blue shirt with very sweat armpits with wrinkled tie

Or you could have:

thaiVisa : big -dollar sign

thaiVisaX : big +dollar sign

Have to come up with something for teacher though. Maybe a polished handgun graphic.

Women in the thaiVisa should have the options for matching handbags, shoes and watches. Maybe something in local gem studding or a nice mother of pearl.

Has anyone seen this web site?:

http://www.thailand-visitorcard.com/

THE THAILAND VISITOR CARD 2005

A Discount Card for Shopping, Leisure & Entertainment in Thailand’s Most Popular Destinations Bangkok. Chiang Mai. Phuket. Pattaya. Hua Hin and Cha-am. Ko Samui. Hat Yai. From 1 April 2005 – 31 March 2006

Its been introduced by TAT with cooperation of Visa.

It appears that visitors are already catered for ..

Good Idea, however does it have a loyalty scheme? Cash back? Sorry if already mentioned earlier couldnt see it.

Discounts in any area is cool as long as the places offering discount are not highly priced.

Good luck. :o

Edited by lopburiguy

The overall idea of an expat card is good, however, I think some of the things people are asking for are not likely to happen. Discounts for products and services that Thais can't get aren't likely. Does anyone seriously think businesses will grant special pricing to farangs over the locals. I can hear the uproar now.

I would rather see focus on some of the more important items such as the card (credit/debit) itself and other benefits that have a good chance of getting approved. Start with a core base of strong value reasonably priced and then add on as you go along.

If you could set it up, how about a short survey where people could rate a list of several options that you think could start the program off with. They could rate each item according to their importance level (example: 1 to 5). I never set up a survey online myself but would think there are free ones available on the net somewhere.

how about medical disounts?

Offer it ONLY to those of us that have been here for 3 years or more varified by their current visas.

Medical will be included, details to be announced later. Visa lenght/type is not decided yet.

Don't forget that there are a lot of people who have been living in Thailand on a range of visa types for one reason or another - so whatever visa or residency restrictions are put in place, they will need to be flexible enough to accomodate these variations.

Don't end up making it like so many other things in LOS where "well intentioned" restrictions make life difficult for otherwise perfectly well qualified potential users and customers.

Don't cut corners on your legal Due Diligence.

My exams in Banking Law were done in the UK, so my knowledge here is indirect, however, I think over here the Financial Services industry is governed by the 1943 Bank of Thailand Act, as subsequently amended.

So far so good though, and well done. - I'm pleased to see the Finance section here never gets into share tips, as there are SFC Compliance regulations that may conceivably apply.

We have all opportunities to get a branded VISA or MasterCard from a honest institution. The card might come without credit though, you can use the card if you have pre-loaded it up with cash. They also works well for online purchases.

Sounds the perfect way to go, would avoid the very likely possibility of credit abuse. If you haven't got the cash in your account you can't spend it...! As long as you had the same pirchasing power of a Visa or Mastercard then this is a win-win situation for all.

Well done George. Enjoy your travels at the moment as I suspect you'll be busy, busy, busy when this is launched!

Dear Valued Thaivisa Members,

How's about roadside assistance or vehicle recovery for those who have their own vehicles here?

Nice idea, but in order to offer such a service there is an enormous infrastructure required...you are talking something like the AA or RAC or equivalent - not something that Thai Visa could set up by themselves any time soon.

The costs of covering a country the size of Thailand would be tremendous.

I am not sure if there is anything like an automobile club providing RAC type services in Thailand, but perhaps if there is, the card could be associated with such an existing organisation.

In 13 years in Thailand, I don't recall ever hearing of any automobile associations - does anyone know differently?

If the qualfications for membership do not include some kind of non-Imm visa (or residency), it means you have potential 6 billion members.
..what about credit without a job or work permit in Thailand.
This a superb idea George, however this can only work (in my opinion) if those applying have a WP, non-imm visa, tax number and all relevant documentation proving legal work in Thailand.

If those who are officially here on tourist visas they can run up huge bills and then leave the country, the costs of which would be passed on to those of us genuinely making a living here. We need to make sure this is not open to abuse.

With this in mind, I am in 100%. If by getting various "influential" sponsors expats here can enjoy the benefits of a Visa card then that has to be a good thing, presuming interest rates would be cheaper than European rates.

No problem with Thaivisa or any external parties making a few baht on charges and fees, nothing worthwhile is free in this world.

You should be applauded George, where do I sign up...?

As I mentioned elsewhere - be careful with the restrictions - that is IF you have any choice (I expect that credit cards and acceptance of applicants is controlled under Thai law as it seems to be elsewhere). {Late addition - just noted The Moog's post above - as I expected...}

Ensuring that applicants have a Work Permit in order to be granted the card is not a reasonable restriction - what about all of us supporting our Thai families but who are on Type "O" visa (NOT the retirement version - the one for foreigners supporting a Thai family)?

{PPS - Just read that George has already clarified this point - so my comment is void... heheh! }

:o

Edited by Greer

The card might come without credit though, you can use the card if you have pre-loaded it up with cash.

In that case it won't be a Visa card - as Visa makes money from cardholders by people borrowing, or forgetting to pay their minimum monthly payment !

Not that this is any of Thaivisa.com's concerns, as issuance criteria - and (significantly) credit risk on default is assumed by the card company - not indemnified by George.

Edited by The_Moog