Thaivisa To Issue Thailand Expat Gold Card

I certainly would like to have a group health (dental) insurance packages included in the deal. Please don't dismiss Thai Health Insurance as one of the possible providers.

If I understand correctly the implementation process, the card holder will be entitle to a specified discount rate while choosing a policy, isn't it.

As the online payments were already mentioned, it's worth to collect further details on the ThaiEpay.com.

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know that I would certainly be happy to offer a discount on web design via our company (First-One Media Ltd.) as a kind of "sponsor".

hmmm, ok, big discounts on display ads in ThailandConnect mag to all members :o

(George gets a freebie;)

Basically if every Expat biz were in the TV card discount 'network', could be huge.

Barter just doesn't work for me, coz I can't pay barter to say a thai printer for example. OTOH, this could work well.

Thailand Expat Card sample:

card3.jpg

Note: No Thai work permit required - No credit check ups - No credit reporting

Some of the mentioned sponsors and partners are still under negotiations. We reserve the rights to change card functionality, design etc.

This sounds like a great idea. I am generally cynical about financial institutions, especially those run by US banks.

I would like to see a credit card which is designed for the user. However, this seems to conflict with the spirit of the financial community.

First, no additional fees for using it in Thailand. Visa is a big rip off to the merchants, 2 - 5% charge, so outside the US many places charge when you use your VISA card 2 - 5%.

Second, No annual fee / joiner fee and reasonable interest rates. Why do they charge 20% when prime is 5%?

Can it be used to pay off the boys in brown?

If I can get a $25,000 limit I can buy a Privilege Card :o

Also FYI, the newest "technology" is to convert to your local currency at point of purchase. This is done at a 2 - 3% additional fee and sub-par exchange rates. So be careful when checking out, especially from an American hotel.

If Thaivisa is going to the efforts of making visa cards available then why not go a little step further and make a payment gateway on thaivisa instead of using paypal or using thaiepay?

I for one would be happy to let them have that small percentage paid for the benifit of getting a card from them.

And they could maybe incorporate an internet banking portal as well?

One stop shop, and they get all the 2-3 percentages paid?

Dear Valued Thaivisa Members,

Thaivisa is in the first stages of designing a special Thailand Expat Gold Card with VISA/MasterCard functionality.. Your input is requested as this card/program will offer as many features possible for you (membership cost is to be determined). This is not an attempt to duplicate the Thailand Elite Card, we want it designed by the Expats for the Expats of Thailand.

Here are some features, members please add to the list, feedback and comments appreciated.

1. SMS messaging worldwide from the forum

2. SMS Thailand News Alerts option (breaking news)

3. 1000 MB [email protected] email account  POP3 and WebMail

4. Private access to Card member information website, newsletters and forum

5. Travel and Airline discounts (THAI Airways, Bangkok Airways etc); Royal Orchid Mileage Plus

6. Restaurant Discounts

7. Hotel Discounts (Special Member World-Wide Hotel Booking Online)

8. Real Estate Sources

9. Visa & Business Consultations (Sunbelt Asia)

10. 24/7 Emergency Law service hotline (Sunbelt Asia Attorney)

11. Business/Work Permit/Startup Packages (Sunbelt Asia Attorney)

12. Health Care/Dental/Insurance Discounts, VIP service (BUPA, AIA)

13. Golf/Fitness Discounts

14. VISA/Master Card/Bank/ATM/Commerce Services

15. Car/pickup/motocycle rental discounts <added>

16. Internet access (Dial up/ADSL/Satellite) <added>

17. Discounted mobile/telephone call packages <added>

18. Sports activities, bowling etc. <added>

19. Currency exchange services, bank services (internet banking, on-line statements etc) <added>

20. Preferential rates with Indo-siam.com, SunbeltAsia.com <added>

...  And much more... Please post your ideas!

card3.jpg

Some of the mentioned sponsors and partners are still under negotiations. We reserve the rights to change card functionality, design etc.

Sounds good.How do you apply?

If Thaivisa is going to the efforts of making visa cards available then why not go a little step further and make a payment gateway on thaivisa instead of using paypal or using thaiepay?

I for one would be happy to let them have that small percentage paid for the benifit of getting a card from them.

And they could maybe incorporate an internet banking portal as well?

One stop shop, and they get all the 2-3 percentages paid?

I agree, good idea.

I have a few reservations about this along the lines of Rollo Tomassi. Some people are asking for added services and discounts that are just fanciful and are extremely cost heavy. Phone line for immigration troubles? Why not throw in a free lawyer to go with you on visa runs?

No credit check for a visa card???? What happens with defaulters? Who pays? The card issuer or thaivisa? That could lead to a very serious bad debt level.

Also, what people have to remember is that every time you use a Visa card, the retailer has to pay Visa or Mastercard a % of the sale as a handling charge. To then ask for a discount could be stretching it for many companies - some undoubtably will be interested though.

But having said that, it will be interesting to see what does transpire.

How about : Discount on stored value BTS and Subway cards.

And by the way. Buy your BTS card at a post office or mail boxes etc store. a 30 trip ticket costs 525B at a post office and I think 520B at MBE not 540B :o

Edited by Bluffer

Possibly you need to offer two types of card - one can have the type of benefits you outlined the other should just be a straight cash back card. Typically UK cards offer a minimum of 0.5% cash back 1% typical and the best rate is from the American Express platinum credit card of 2%.

From a personal point of view the cards offering traditional benefits are in decline, these days people go for good cash back deals (I went for the AMEX card)

Jai Yen-Yen everybody!

Let's start with a few "standard" options and see how things go, let's not try to run before we can walk. If the card is overloaded with benefits I fear it will all come crashing down. Let's just get the idea up and running first.

Abuse of this excellent idea should be the primary concern and in the long run we will all benefit from a kind of "trial and error" period!

Having said that, I reiterate that this is a FANTASTIC concept/idea and can't wait to give it a go!

Keep up the good work George...

Typically UK cards offer a minimum of 0.5% cash back 1% typical and the best rate is from the American Express platinum credit card of 2%.

From a personal point of view the cards offering traditional benefits are in decline, these days people go for good cash back deals (I went for the AMEX card)

I get 5% on credit balances with Visa Infinite.Not issued in the UK though.Issued from an asia-pacific region bank.

Thank you for the overwhelming support and ideas so far with this project. George and I are working overtime getting this organized.

There will be some more information available soon that should answer many of the questions posted.

huski

How can I apply for this card?

uote=huski,2005-07-08 23:13:30]

Dear Valued Thaivisa Members,

Thaivisa is in the first stages of designing a special Thailand Expat Gold Card with VISA/MasterCard functionality.. Your input is requested as this card/program will offer as many features possible for you (membership cost is to be determined). This is not an attempt to duplicate the Thailand Elite Card, we want it designed by the Expats for the Expats of Thailand.

Here are some features, members please add to the list, feedback and comments appreciated.

1. SMS messaging worldwide from the forum

2. SMS Thailand News Alerts option (breaking news)

3. 1000 MB [email protected] email account POP3 and WebMail

4. Private access to Card member information website, newsletters and forum

5. Travel and Airline discounts (THAI Airways, Bangkok Airways etc); Royal Orchid Mileage Plus

6. Restaurant Discounts

7. Hotel Discounts (Special Member World-Wide Hotel Booking Online)

8. Real Estate Sources

9. Visa & Business Consultations (Sunbelt Asia)

10. 24/7 Emergency Law service hotline (Sunbelt Asia Attorney)

11. Business/Work Permit/Startup Packages (Sunbelt Asia Attorney)

12. Health Care/Dental/Insurance Discounts, VIP service (BUPA, AIA)

13. Golf/Fitness Discounts

14. VISA/Master Card/Bank/ATM/Commerce Services

15. Car/pickup/motocycle rental discounts <added>

16. Internet access (Dial up/ADSL/Satellite) <added>

17. Discounted mobile/telephone call packages <added>

18. Sports activities, bowling etc. <added>

19. Currency exchange services, bank services (internet banking, on-line statements etc) <added>

20. Preferential rates with Indo-siam.com, SunbeltAsia.com <added>

... And much more... Please post your ideas!

card3.jpg

I cant see it being of benefit to me if it is in any currency other than Thai Baht or Aussie Dollars.  Any benefits would be eroded by conversion fees.

Thai Baht currency means a Thai bank issued card [...]

I'm not quite sure that's correct, at least in theory. Moneybookers.com, for example, is a U.K. -based and -regulated company, that holds customers accounts in around 30 currencies including Thai Baht. (Er, but it's not a credit card issuer :o )

Might be worth asking? I suspect it would make a huge difference to the take-up.

Why not do an online survey using our TV logins? - what base currencies would we like or accept; what money transfer system would we use to load it; rate 1-5 for importance of feature X etc.

Typically UK cards offer a minimum of 0.5% cash back 1% typical and the best rate is from the American Express platinum credit card of 2%.

I get 5% on credit balances with Visa Infinite.Not issued in the UK though.Issued from an asia-pacific region bank.

Apologies - Cash back means on each and every transaction I get; either 0.5, 1.0 or 2.0 % back, so I put everything I can on my card.

I'm interested to hear about this 5% on credit balances is this the same as an account balance yielding interest?

Apologies - Cash back means on each and every transaction I get; either 0.5, 1.0 or 2.0 % back, so I put everything I can on my card.

I'm interested to hear about this 5% on credit balances is this the same as an account balance yielding interest?

Yes. I load cash on it and get credit interest.Actually with my bank the credit interest rate is the same for platinum and infinite cards.

Don't panic it won't get off the ground anyway.

When did Visa last issue a card with no credit check? That would put Phuketrichard off instantly.

George --

Do I have it wrong, or is this NOT a credit card? A credit card obviously requires a check, but a cash/debit card a la pre-paid telephone cards does not.

If I'm right, sure seems like a whole bunch of people are barking up the wrong tree. . . .

I think it's a great idea -- whatever the card is --

Not a credit card. It's a debit card, also called prepaid Visa card or value stored card. You pre-load it - then you can spend it. No money - no shopping.

No credit check-ups, no credit reporting as it's not a credit card.

The debit vs credit card issue has been hit on in this thread several times. As apparently many people are not reading thru the entire thread - It might help to modify the name of the thread to the following: “Thaivisa To Issue Thailand Expat Gold Debit Card”, and to edit the OP to specifically state this will be a Debit card and not a credit card – similar to the added notes about WP and credit check. :o

The debit vs credit card issue has been hit on in this thread several times.  As apparently many people are not reading thru the entire thread - It might help to modify the name of the thread to the following:  “Thaivisa To Issue Thailand Expat Gold Debit Card”, and to edit the OP to specifically state this will be a Debit card and not a credit card – similar to the added notes about WP and credit check. :D

I thought it was obviousm that this could only be a debit card...!

People should read the threads properly before commenting and wasting everyone's time!

:o

The debit vs credit card issue has been hit on in this thread several times.  As apparently many people are not reading thru the entire thread - It might help to modify the name of the thread to the following:  “Thaivisa To Issue Thailand Expat Gold Debit Card”, and to edit the OP to specifically state this will be a Debit card and not a credit card – similar to the added notes about WP and credit check. :D

People should read the threads properly before commenting and wasting everyone's time!

Yeah,

Good call Backpack. There are 16 pages of posts (at present) and it's pretty obvious a great many posters have NOT read any of the preceeding posts. Do yourself and everyone else a favour and read from the beginning before you ask something that's already been asked 20 times. The people trying to get this off the ground have enough to do without doing your work as well :D

Edited by Jimmy in Bangkok

Yeah,

Good call Backpack. There are 16 pages of posts (at present) and it's pretty obvious a great many posters have NOT read any of the preceeding posts. Do yourself and everyone else a favour and read from the beginning before you ask something that's already been asked 20 times. The people trying to get this off the ground have enough to do without doing your work as well :D

Perhaps it is time to summarise, and start a new thread. With more than 230 posts on this subject, I doubt if many people will take the trouble to do a complete review of what has and has not been said on the subject to date......

- Charge in baht, with monthly settlement in whatever currency through a direct debit to a bank anywhere in the world (at a decent exchange rate)

- No transaction charge

If you can provide this then you will get my business

I am not interested in any other discounts

Me too.. Charge in Baht.. Low fees.. Not interested in savings and bonus's I would never use..

Also very important is to make it work with Ebay !!! Get that and 100's of people would be very happy..

TokyoT hits the nail

I suggest the backpack prick gets packing and out in stead of stating what he thinks to be obvious + telling other people what to do :D

I repeat - the currency point is crucial for the success of this card.

Especially since it's a debit card which needs to be charged abroad.

baht -> USD/EUR (charge the card)

USD/EUR -> baht (use the money)

Paying forex comissions twice? why on earth do that?

Make it a baht currency card! Negotiating with Thai banks is part of what it takes to have a proper card.