Nayeb Iranian Restaurant, New Place, South Pattaya

Jingthing

Not really but I sincerely thought you were talking about Central America and that you knew Mexico wasn't IN Central America.

The Mullahs thing was clearly a joke. I suggest it is YOU who needs to calm down. That said, if the Tigglethingie place turns out to be a rival for the better Mexican places in Bangkok and CM, I'll break my vow against heterosexuality with the first homely 50+ freelancer I encounter on Beach Road. I'm not worried.

Edited by Jingthing

Wow, you have to take a vow?

Which page of The Dummies Guide to Homosexuality do they mention that? I must have missed it.

:)

Edited to add smiley so all could see it was a stupid joke.

Edited by Jimmyd

Wow, you have to take a vow?

Which page of The Dummies Guide to Homosexuality do they mention that? I must have missed it.

:)

Edited to add smiley so all could see it was a stupid joke.

The vow is not required but is always available to the truly committed.

The only time I tried the Mexican food in Tigglebitties was when it first opened about 3 years ago and they 'phoned the order to Door 2 Door who brought it from Mike's and it was disgusting. (Although I do like the food in Mike's when eating in there)

Hopefully their home cooked Mexican food is better than cold soggy deliveries.

The only time I tried the Mexican food in Tigglebitties was when it first opened about 3 years ago and they 'phoned the order to Door 2 Door who brought it from Mike's and it was disgusting. (Although I do like the food in Mike's when eating in there)

Hopefully their home cooked Mexican food is better than cold soggy deliveries.

I can assure you it is all freshly cooked. You can actually go to the restaurant area at the back and watch them prepare and cook it.

Very fresh, and for me very tasty.

Feel hungry just writing about it :)

That said, if the Tigglethingie place turns out to be a rival for the better Mexican places in Bangkok and CM, I'll break my vow against heterosexuality with the first homely 50+ freelancer I encounter on Beach Road. I'm not worried.

Oh Oh. There are a`lot of retired guys with time on their hands.... I'm thinking the cook could do a decent Mexican feed with proper instruction and the right ingredients. :whistling:

But a homely 50+? :o Bad choice. You are really not going to enjoy it. :bah:

. . . do they have some Humus to go along with the flat bread? . . .

Speaking of humus, I wonder if I can get, say, a half pint container (OK, plastic bag) of it to go--at a reasonable price from one of these restaurants.

I miss the packaged humus (hel_l, even dry humus mix) commonly found in USA markets nowadays. Keep it in the fridge & eat it at various times throughout the week.

I figure I'll be forced to make my own humus one of these days, but it's just not convenient at present.

That said, if the Tigglethingie place turns out to be a rival for the better Mexican places in Bangkok and CM, I'll break my vow against heterosexuality with the first homely 50+ freelancer I encounter on Beach Road. I'm not worried.

I doubt that, but if you are hankering for some Mexican food and you're stuck in Pattaya, I would guess you could do worse than try Tigglebitties.....

Edited by Rimmer
It is against forum rules to modify someone elses text

Thanks for the "tip" but I'm not that desperate. There are already a number of hideously unsatisfying "Mexican" restaurants in town. Maybe not everyone is as spoiled as I am but I think the Mexican food in town is money down a black hole of hopelessness. I don't want to support their mediocre efforts either. I remain confident someday we will get our local Mexican Holy Grail.

Speaking of humus, I wonder if I can get, say, a half pint container (OK, plastic bag) of it to go--at a reasonable price from one of these restaurants.

I miss the packaged humus (hel_l, even dry humus mix) commonly found in USA markets nowadays. Keep it in the fridge & eat it at various times throughout the week.

I figure I'll be forced to make my own humus one of these days, but it's just not convenient at present.

Have a look in the chillers in Friendship they carry it.

Just about all the Mexican food I've tried has been mediocre at best but that's probably because I've never chanced on a good Mexican restaurant (not TexMex).

Anyway thanks for the memory jogger, I'm back to KL on Sunday for a few weeks and I know of a couple of good Iranian restaurants there (unless they've closed or relocated) plus a couple of Lebanese, now that is food I can go for in a big way.

I'll look out your recommendation next time I'm in town as I like Iranian food and am thick skinned enough to ignore any hostility they may have towards the west provided they don't show personal hostility towards me.

Have a look in the chillers in Friendship they carry it.

I'll do that; thanks.

The signage is in Middle Eastern languages

Arabic, Hebrew and Farsi?

Funny. You know there was no Hebrew. I am sure Farsi, maybe Arabic also, I can't actually tell the difference, it's all squiggles to me ...

I'm not sure but I think it might be the same squiggles but it's a completely different language which is why I ask.

I've got a chance with Arabic but no chance with Farsi.

A simple greeting in Arabic - Kayf 'halak (run it together, not as separate words)

The same in Farsi - Hayli shumaa tchet'houri (as separate words)

Then carry on in English / Thai or whatever takes your fancy. With most Iranis just the slightest effort to speak Farsi is welcomed and responded to. Used to be a lovely people. Haven't been back since the Shah was forced to leave, but still have friends in UK who left when I did.

• 5 months later...

Update on this restaurant -- Nayeb Iranian Restaurant.

They now not only have a complete ENGLISH menu but also a large picture board with English and prices on a sign outside of the restaurant. Congratulations to them for welcoming non-Iranians to their fine eatery. I have indeed noticed people eating there that don't look Iranian, but be advised if you eat there and you can pass for Iranian even remotely, you will get to experience what it's like for passers-by to assume you are Iranian (or why would you be there) ... So be Iranian for an hour, it's included in the price.

Ironically, this wonderful and English language WELCOMING restaurant is directly across the street from Al Bukhara Uzbek/Russian restaurant which at this point has informed me they NEVER intend to offer any English menu.

Edited by Jingthing

They now not only have a complete ENGLISH menu but also a large picture board with English and prices on a sign outside of the restaurant. Congratulations to them for welcoming non-Iranians to their fine eatery. I have indeed noticed people eating there that don't look Iranian, but be advised if you eat there and you can pass for Iranian even remotely, you will get to experience what it's like for passers-by to assume you are Iranian (or why would you be there) ... So be Iranian for an hour, it's included in the price.

Ironically, this wonderful and English language WELCOMING restaurant is directly across the street from Al Bukhara Uzbek/Russian restaurant which at this point has informed me they NEVER intend to offer any English menu.

i do not know if this is true about the proprietors of this restaurant but one of my friends (one of the very few) has worked on oil platforms all over the world and claims the friendliest people he has ever worked with were Iranians...........

• 1 month later...

This is a bit off the main topic, but several have commented in this thread on the scarcity of good Mexican food in Pattaya.

Now this is a bit out of my league and I don't claim to be an expert, but I have enjoyed a good "Mexican" for many years. There used to be several good Mexican restaurants in BKK but I have no idea if they are still there.

Anyway, for the past year or so, from time to time I have patronised a large bar/restaurant off Theprasit road, which, IMHO, cooks good, genuine Mexican food to a very acceptable standard, and at reasonable prices.

The name of the place is "Tigglebitties" and is located in Soi 8, off Theprasit Road. From Theprasit, it is past Caddy Shack and Lion bar, on the left hand side. It is a big place and you can't miss it. (There is another large bar on the left of it - I forget the name- but the food there is terrible)

Tigglebitties is owned by an American with a Thai wife (who used to live in USA) and they have a large kitchen with good cooks and an extensive menu.

I would say over 50% of the farang food on their menu is Mexican.(they also do excellent Thai food) It is clearly their speciality and I have found it extremely good.

I once took an old Central American hand there for lunch and he ordered Taco salad and was surprised how good it was. he told me that it was as good as he had had anywhere.

If you are in the area, and are hankering for Mexican food, give it a try, but please don't be too hard on me if you don't think it is up to standard, as I am only an amateur as far as Mexican Food is concerned.

Ironically, IMO, the worst item on the menu is Fish and Chips - a very meagre and not very tasty offering. They clearly can cook American/Mexican but not English - which kinda makes sense if you think about it.

(Incidentally, the booze is cheap - 55 Baht for all beers, 80 Baht ladies drinks.)

Good review, thanks a lot. Gonna give Tigglebitties a try soon... (no f & c!)

Food Good! Blood Marys BETTER!

I'm not sure but I think it might be the same squiggles but it's a completely different language which is why I ask.

I've got a chance with Arabic but no chance with Farsi.

Um, almost the same alphabet, Farsi has some extra letters. Urdu (Pakistan) also uses a set of the Arabic alphabet, as does (keeping it on topic), the Yawi language of the Malay muslims in south Thailand.

I can read both Farsi and Arabic (slooowwwwly), - as was said - it's a lot of squiggles, just like Thai...

... but their food is more interesting than their language

Simon

Happy to hear this Iranian place is doing well as I love the cuisine.

A quick question as iranian flatbread is great as is the moutabal I also like some Torshi served with it. Also I'm assuming they serve Khorosh?

Looking forward to a visit soon..:)

Happy to hear this Iranian place is doing well as I love the cuisine.

A quick question as iranian flatbread is great as is the moutabal I also like some Torshi served with it. Also I'm assuming they serve Khorosh?

Looking forward to a visit soon..:)

You are a one in a million you are smokie!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

You mean Khorosh qormeh sabzi? Yes.

Torshi? Pickles, no. Green leaves, yes. You need to ask for raw onion.

OK I can live without the pickles I guess and yes Iranians sure know how to cook lamb....will pop along when I'm next in town.

Thanks! :)

Must take a look at this place. I was in Iran for a while in the late 80's. Some excellent food. If they can cook a good Fesen Jun (chicken cooked in pomegranite juice with walnuts) they'll have a regular customer. I miss Torshi (hot pickles) too. And their very thin breads for mopping up yogurt.

Thanx to the OP :jap:

DIG

The pomegranite dish isn't sold anywhere I know of in Pattaya or I would guess in Thailand. I like it too.

Another good new Iranian place is SAYEED on 2nd across from Tops market. They have the dried berry thingies for some of the rice dishes. I love that.

Edited by Jingthing

The pomegranite dish isn't sold anywhere I know of in Pattaya or I would guess in Thailand. I like it too.

Another good new Iranian place is SAYEED on 2nd across from Tops market. They have the dried berry thingies for some of the rice dishes. I love that.

TFT, Jing! I'll take a look at Sayeed. I've been using some of the Chinese berries to the same end. Available in places like Makro. But the real Macoy would be good. I'd like to think Pattaya will evolve into a real multinational food centre. It has many reasons to do just that. Replacing some of the myriad bars with good food outlets would probably keep some expats alive a lot longer too. Whatever the fun element, living on indulgent quantities of alcohol every day just isn't good for the body.

DIG